Would you like to have your fabrics, books, papers or cotton cut and embossed in a specific manner?
Yes, you do not have to buy cut patterns and embossed designs from other producers; you can actually cut and emboss your materials.
To do this, you need to invest in a worthy embossing machines. If you are shopping for the best unit, you first need to know the features you should look for.
To buy the best in the market, you should consider such aspects as the versatility, capacity, compatibility with powders and dyes, as well as the ease of use (Source).
To make things easier for you, here is a review of five top-rated embossing machines.
Best Embossing Machines 2019
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Embossing Machines 2019
- 2 1. Cricut 2003782 Cuttlebug Machine – Best Overall
- 3 2. Sizzix 660425 Big Shot – The Best Embossing Machine for Versatility
- 4 3. Cricut 2000293 Cuttlebug Machine – The Best Embossing Machine for Small Size Designs
- 5 4. Sizzix 655268 Big Shot Cutting-and-Embossing Roller-Style Machine – Best Embossing Machine for Classic Crafting
- 6 5. Spellbinders GC-200 Grand Calibur, Teal Die Cutting & Embossing Machine – The Best Embossing Machine Below $150
- 7 6. Sizzix 656225 Texture Boutique Embossing Machine – The Best Cutting/Embossing Machine Below $50
- 8 7. Gemini by Crafter’s Companion Die Cutting and Embossing Machine Bundle – Best Automatic Die Cutting and Embossing Machine
- 9 8. We R Memory Keepers Evolution Advanced Die-Cutting and Embossing Machine – The Best Lightweight Embossing Machine
- 10 9. Spellbinders PL-001 Platinum Cut and Emboss Machine – A Unit With Reliable Power
- 11 10. Fiskars Fuse Creativity System Starter Set – Best Machine for Thick Materials
- 12 Things You Must Know Before Buying an Embossing Machine
- 13 Frequently Asked Questions
- 14 Our Final Verdict
|Cricut 2003782 Cuttlebug Machine|
|Sizzix 660425 Big Shot Cutting/Embossing Machine|
|Cricut 2000293 Cuttlebug Machine|
|Sizzix 655268 Big Shot Cutting-and-Embossing Roller-Style Machine|
|Spellbinders GC-200 Grand Calibur, Teal Die Cutting & Embossing Machine|
|Sizzix 656225 Texture Boutique Embossing Machine|
|Gemini by Crafter’s Companion Die Cutting and Embossing Machine Bundle|
|We R Memory Keepers Evolution Advanced Die-Cutting and Embossing Machine|
|Spellbinders PL-001 Platinum Cut and Emboss Machine|
|Fiskars Fuse Creativity System Starter Set|
1. Cricut 2003782 Cuttlebug Machine – Best OverallAlthough you may just be looking for an embossing machine for your DIY projects, you need to look for flawless embossing and cutting. In this case, the Cricut 2003782 Cuttlebug Machine is one of the machines that will offer you embossing and cutting at its best. To facilitate this impeccable performance, this unit features an embossing mat, 4 plates and an embossing folder, comprising of 2 metal dies.
This machine is relatively versatile, having been designed to work on several materials, including acetate, tissue paper, thin leathers and ribbon. In addition to being easy to use, the Cricut 2003783 embossing machine features a compact and lightweight design. Again, this machine is compatible with several blades in the market today. This makes it the aesthetically appealing, portable and efficient embossing machine you are looking for.
2. Sizzix 660425 Big Shot – The Best Embossing Machine for VersatilityThis is one of the few cutting and embossing machines that have been designed with versatility in mind. In this regard, the Sizzix 660425 will give you exceptional results on both paper and fabric materials. As a matter of fact, this unit can cut through any material that scissors can. Some of the materials you will be able to work on with this embossing machine include card stock, paper, foam, felt, and fabric, craft metal and flexible magnet.
Additionally, this model is capable of cutting several layers of the thin materials at once. This will make your cutting and embossing work simpler, rights? This unit will also offer you thousands of different embossing folders and dies. This gives you a lot of flexibility when you are designing.
3. Cricut 2000293 Cuttlebug Machine – The Best Embossing Machine for Small Size DesignsHaving been designed to emboss small-sized designs, this machine features a compact and lightweight design. While this is the case, it offers a rather dependable suction force. In addition to being lightweight, this product features a handle; making it a highly portable model. With this machine, you will have an easier time embossing on curved designs. In this regard, you will not experience any tearing or folding while working on curves.
If you are looking for a professional finish on your designs on leather, paper, tissue paper and ribbons, this is the machine you should buy. The Cricut 2000293 features 2 cutting pads, one spacer and an efficient flower embossing folder. You will also love the storage compartment on this unit. You may use this compartment to store your materials for future projects.
4. Sizzix 655268 Big Shot Cutting-and-Embossing Roller-Style Machine – Best Embossing Machine for Classic CraftingIf you happen to love classic crafting styles, you will definitely love the Sizzix 655268 embossing machine. This machine is referred to as the ‘Big Shot’ for a reason; it is compatible with almost any dies and embossing tools. In this regard, the unit can work with the smallest dies by this manufacturer to the large 6″ wide embossing tools. Actually, the unit is compatible with all the tools in the Sizzix library, other than the Bigz Pro Dies.
In addition to being a portable design, this roller machine is also stylish and highly portable. If you are a crafts enthusiast or a scrapbooker, this cutting and embossing machine has everything you need. The unit is equipped with standard cutting pads as well as an adjustable multipurpose platform.
5. Spellbinders GC-200 Grand Calibur, Teal Die Cutting & Embossing Machine – The Best Embossing Machine Below $150Are you looking for a relatively affordable, user-friendly and versatile cutting and embossing machine? You should consider buying the Spellbinders GC-200 Grand Calibur right away. While this machine is primarily designed to use Spellbinders Die Templates, it is also compatible with several other dies in the market.
In addition to cutting dies and embossing, this machine will allow you to replicate charms, set eyelets. Carry out image transfers and smash bottle caps. For high-quality results, this product uses brass stencils to emboss. You will also love the fact that it is compatible with all the previous Spellbinders die templates.
6. Sizzix 656225 Texture Boutique Embossing Machine – The Best Cutting/Embossing Machine Below $50Add some life and fun to your cards with the Sizzix 656225 Texture Boutique Embossing machine today. This machine is equipped with a capable embellishing and card making system to help you customize your cards. This being the case, you can easily transform regular cardstock into stylish embossed art. To help you achieve this, the unit is equipped with Textured Impressions Embossing Folders by the manufacturer.
In addition to its affordability, this unit is one of the best small crafting machines out there. Owing to its compact design, the unit does not require much space. Additionally, it is lightweight and highly portable.
7. Gemini by Crafter’s Companion Die Cutting and Embossing Machine Bundle – Best Automatic Die Cutting and Embossing MachineIf you are looking for the best automatic die cutting and embossing machine out there, the Gemini by Crafter’s Companion will be a great choice. Being an automatic machine, the machine is easy to operate. Additionally, it works fast and quietly. You will also love the ability of this machine to cut edge-to-edge.
The platform used on this machine is also large, measuring 9 x 12.5 inches. With this machine, you will be able to cut and emboss US letter ADN A4 materials. Again, the embossing machine is compatible with a good number of embossing folders and dies in the market.
8. We R Memory Keepers Evolution Advanced Die-Cutting and Embossing Machine – The Best Lightweight Embossing MachineAlthough this is a relatively affordable embossing machine, you will be surprised at the additional features it offers. To begin with, the machine is equipped with a pressure dial, allowing you to regulate the degree of suction. The Evolution Advanced Die-Cutting and Embossing Machine was designed to offer you a universal crafting platform.
In addition to embossing and die cutting, this machine may also be used for letter pressing. You will also love the height adjustment system used on this machine. This allows you to adjust the height of the machine to suit every project.
9. Spellbinders PL-001 Platinum Cut and Emboss Machine – A Unit With Reliable PowerThe Spellbinders PL-001 Platinum Cut machine may not be a lightweight option, but is a very versatile unit. This machine was designed to be the creative versatility champion that it is today. In this regard, it can cut about 40 different materials, with a width of up to 8.5 inches. Although it is a manual model, it offers reliable power and cutting pressure.
With this versatile embossing machine, you can cut between 6 and 8 layers of material at once. The machine is also compatible with embossing folders, etched dies. Contour steel rule dies and texture plates by other brands.
10. Fiskars Fuse Creativity System Starter Set – Best Machine for Thick MaterialsAt a fairly affordable price, the 100770-1001 set comes with the main fuse creativity machine, attached rubber mat, a cutting plate, design set, two letterpress plates and a spacer plate. Although this is the heaviest product in this guide, it allows you to cut and create unique die-cut embellishments on thicker materials. In this regard, the steel-rule dies used on this unit can easily cut layers of cardstock, foam, chipboard, foil, balsa wood, and magnet.
Additionally, the unit may also be used on fabric materials, such as handmade clothing. To be able to use embossing folders and dies by other manufacturers on this machine, you should consider buying the Fuse Adapter Kit (sold separately).
Things You Must Know Before Buying an Embossing Machine
Whether you are buying an embossing machine for personal of business use, you need to ensure that you have chosen the right unit. As you may be aware, choosing the best embossing machine is not an easy task.
This is mainly because you will be choosing the right models from the hundreds of models available today. As such, you need to know what you are looking for.
If you are shopping for the best machine today, these are some of the main considerations you should make:
As of now, you may be looking for a machine that can carry out the embossing task at hand. However, your embossing needs may change in the future.
Therefore, it is advisable to buy an embossing machine that is versatile—with regards to its capabilities. When it comes to the versatility of these machines, the first thing you need to consider is the materials they can emboss.
In this regard, some machines are specifically designed to emboss a specific material, such as paper. Buying such a unit will limit you to embossing paper only. What if you need to emboss cotton or metal strips in future? Based on your embossing needs, it is advisable to choose a machine that can effectively work on different materials.
Again, you also need to check the number of embossing patterns your preferred embossing machine can produce. In this regard, you should go for a unit that allows you to produce multiple embossing patterns.
What is the best size foe an embossing machine? This something you need to consider as well when shopping for the right embossing machine. Rather than buying a unit than can only work on items of a particular size, you should consider getting one that can emboss both small and large sized items. Some of the leading models today can accommodate items up to 12 inches wide. This makes them rather versatile.
The machine you choose should be versatile enough to emboss materials of different sizes, depending on the project you are working on at any given time. Again, you will realize that the machines that offer more options are relatively big. As such, you need to balance between the size of the machine and its capacity.
Finally, you should get a unit that offers substantial clearance to cut through several layers in a single pass.
3. Ease of Use
You do not want to end up buying a machine that is hard to calibrate and operate, right? While some of the machines available today are relatively easy to use, others are a bit complicated. In this regard, you need to choose between manual and automatic embossing machines. If your preferred embossing machine is manually operated, you need to ensure that it is easy to operate.
4. Compatibility with Powders and Dyes
What embossing powders and dyes do you intent to use with your embossing machine? In this case, you need to ensure that those dyes and powders are compatible with your preferred embossing machine. Basically, the leading models come with different dyes and are compatible with accessories from other manufacturers.
This is the kind of embossing machine that you should be eying today. You do not want to buy a model that only works with specific dyes and powders. This is because the functioning of the machine will then depend on the availability of the specified dyes and powders.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are Die Cutting Machines?
A die cutting machine cuts materials such as fabric, paper, foam, and thin plastic into specific shapes. The cutouts are then used in a myriad of projects, for instance, homemade cards, decorations for a party, scrapbooking and quilts.
A die cutting machine can either be manual or digital. A manual die cutting machine is similar to a cookie cutter in its working. That means it has sharp edges that facilitate the cutting of materials into particular shapes.
One has to purchase the cutting dies used in the machine separately. Note that these cutting dies come in all sizes, shapes, and designs.
Digital die cutting machines work similarly to a printer. That means they accept designs in two key ways. One, the designs can be sent into the machine from a cartridge. A cartridge is a device that plugs into the die cutting machine after being preloaded with designs.
Two, the designs can originate from a computer with special software for designing and downloading them.
What Are the Primary Operations of an Embossing and Die Cutting Machine?
As the name suggests, a die cutting machine has two key operations—cutting and embossing. Cutting has already been discussed above. Embossing, on the other hand, is the process of creating raised designs on a surface to generate the “pop-out” effect.
In addition, some machines can have extra operations such as drawing, piercing, and engraving.
- Drawing—Some die cutting machines allow the blades to be replaced with a marker for drawing instead of cutting.
- Piercing—This is the process of making holes in any given material such as fabric.
- Engraving—The cutting or carving of designs on a hard surface.
Whether a machine offers these extra features is dependent on its quality. A high-quality machine has more features than a low-quality one.
What Are Die Cutting Machine Best Practices?
When using a die cutting machine, there are some practices one can implement for best results. First, it is advisable to use a wax paper between the die and cardstock, especially, for the more intricate dies. Doing so when die cutting helps prevent tearing.
Second, when changing the distance between the rollers, you should opt for an adjustable dial. The dial ensures you can cut different materials without having to purchase extra plates.
Finally, using a sticky tape will enable you to get more out of your dies. For example, you can create a frame by sticking a small and large die together. The only downside of using a sticky tape is that it tends to adhere to the materials. To prevent this, sprinkle a light dusting of talcum powder.
What Are Die Cut Stickers?
A die cut sticker is a sticker that is cut into a unique shape so that it can fit a logo or a given piece of artwork. Because custom dies tend to be time-consuming to make and expensive, most manufacturers offer a collection of stock shapes made from pre-made dies.
If the stickers do not fit with your intended aesthetic, then manufacturers allow people to order custom dies at an increased price.
Our Final Verdict
While there are numerous die-cutting and embossing machines in the market today, choosing the right one can be challenging. Basically, the best embossing machine should be versatile, compatible with embossing folders and die-cuts in the market and able to work on small as well as large items. While this is the case, preferences may vary from one designer to another.
If you happen to be looking for an affordable option, the Sizzix 656225 Texture Boutique Embossing Machine will be a great choice. Then there are other users who are shopping for a machine that can cut and emboss thicker materials.
If you are one of them, you should consider buying the Fiskars Fuse Creativity System Starter Set. Regardless of your individual preferences, this guide will help you choose the best embossing machine.