Would you like to have your fabrics, books, papers, or cotton cut and embossed in a specific manner?
Yes, you do not have to buy cut patterns and embossed designs from other producers; you can actually cut and emboss your materials.
To do this, you need to invest in a worthy embossing machine. However, for the best unit, you first need to know the features you should look for.
Aspects as the versatility, capacity, compatibility with powders and dyes, as well as the ease of use (Source) should be considered.
To make things easier for you, here is a review of top-rated embossing machines.
Best Embossing Machines 2019
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Embossing Machines 2019
- 2 1. Cricut 2003782 Cuttlebug Machine – Best Overall
- 3 2. Sizzix 660425 Big Shot – The Best Embossing Machine for Versatility
- 4 3. Cricut 2000293 Cuttlebug Machine – The Best Embossing Machine for Small Size Designs
- 5 4. Sizzix 655268 Big Shot Cutting-and-Embossing Roller-Style Machine – Best Embossing Machine for Classic Crafting
- 6 5. Spellbinders GC-200 Grand Calibur, Teal Die Cutting & Embossing Machine – The Best Embossing Machine Below $150
- 7 6. Sizzix 656225 Texture Boutique Embossing Machine – The Best Cutting/Embossing Machine Below $50
- 8 7. Gemini by Crafter’s Companion Die Cutting and Embossing Machine Bundle – Best Automatic Die Cutting and Embossing Machine
- 9 8. We R Memory Keepers Evolution Advanced Die-Cutting and Embossing Machine – The Best Lightweight Embossing Machine
- 10 9. Spellbinders PL-001 Platinum Cut and Emboss Machine – A Unit With Reliable Power
- 11 10. Fiskars Fuse Creativity System Starter Set – Best Machine for Thick Materials
- 12 Things You Must Know Before Buying an Embossing Machine
- 13 FAQs About Embossing Die Cutting Machines
- 14 Our Final Review
|Cricut 2003782 Cuttlebug Machine|
|Sizzix 660425 Big Shot Cutting/Embossing Machine|
|Cricut 2000293 Cuttlebug Machine|
|Sizzix 655268 Big Shot Cutting-and-Embossing Roller-Style Machine|
|Spellbinders GC-200 Grand Calibur, Teal Die Cutting & Embossing Machine|
|Sizzix 656225 Texture Boutique Embossing Machine|
|Gemini by Crafter’s Companion Die Cutting and Embossing Machine Bundle|
|We R Memory Keepers Evolution Advanced Die-Cutting and Embossing Machine|
|Spellbinders PL-001 Platinum Cut and Emboss Machine|
|Fiskars Fuse Creativity System Starter Set|
1. Cricut 2003782 Cuttlebug Machine – Best OverallIf you want flawless cutting and embossing for your DIY projects, the Cricut 2003782 Cuttlebug Machine is one of the machines that will offer you the best. To facilitate this impeccable performance, it boasts an embossing mat, four plates, and an embossing folder with two metal dies.
This machine is relatively versatile, having been designed to work on materials like acetate, tissue paper, thin leather, and ribbon.
Additionally, this Cricut machine features a compact and lightweight design as well. Hence, it is aesthetically appealing, portable, and efficient at the same time.
2. Sizzix 660425 Big Shot – The Best Embossing Machine for VersatilityThis is one of the few cutting and embossing machines that have been designed with versatility in mind. In this regard, the Sizzix 660425 will give you exceptional results on both paper and fabric materials.
As a matter of fact, this unit can cut through any material that scissors can. Some of the materials you will be able to work on with this embossing machine include card stock, paper, foam, felt, fabric, craft metal, and flexible magnet.
Moreover, this model is capable of cutting several layers of thin materials at once. Hence, it simplifies your cutting and embossing process.
Additionally, it also offers you thousands of different embossing folders and dies, which gives you a lot of flexibility when you are designing.
3. Cricut 2000293 Cuttlebug Machine – The Best Embossing Machine for Small Size DesignsHaving been designed to emboss small-sized designs, this product features a compact and lightweight design. However, don’t let that fool you: This cuttlebug machine still offers a rather dependable suction force.
Moreover, it boasts a handle as well, making it highly portable. Thus, with this machine, you will have an easier time embossing on curved designs. In this regard, you are guaranteed to not experience any tearing or folding while working.
Therefore, if you are looking for a professional finish on your designs on leather, paper, tissue paper and ribbons, this is your pick. Its pack features two cutting pads, one spacer, and an efficient flower embossing folder alongside a storage compartment.
4. Sizzix 655268 Big Shot Cutting-and-Embossing Roller-Style Machine – Best Embossing Machine for Classic CraftingIf you happen to love classic crafting styles, you will definitely love the Sizzix 655268 embossing machine. This machine is referred to as the ‘Big Shot’ for a reason; it is compatible with almost any dies and embossing tools.
In this regard, the unit can work with the smallest dies by this manufacturer to the largest embossing tools, up to six inches. The unit is compatible with all the tools in the Sizzix library.
Additionally, this roller machine is also portable and stylish. Hence, if you are a crafts enthusiast or a scrapbooker who wants efficiency alongside an attractive-looking machine, this cutting and embossing machine has everything you need.
Consequently, the unit is equipped with standard cutting pads as well as an adjustable multipurpose platform.
5. Spellbinders GC-200 Grand Calibur, Teal Die Cutting & Embossing Machine – The Best Embossing Machine Below $150Are you looking for an affordable, user-friendly, and versatile cutting and embossing machine? You may want to consider buying the Spellbinders GC-200 Grand Calibur. While this machine is primarily designed to use Spellbinders Die Templates, it is also compatible with several other dies in the market.
Notably, this machine allows you to replicate charms and set eyelets alongside cutting and embossing. In addition to that, it also carries out image transfers and smashes bottle caps.
For high-quality results, this product uses brass stencils to emboss. If you’re after the best manual die cutting machine that’s budget-friendly and flexible, this is your pick.
6. Sizzix 656225 Texture Boutique Embossing Machine – The Best Cutting/Embossing Machine Below $50Add some life and fun to your cards with the Sizzix 656225 Texture Boutique Embossing machine today. This machine is equipped with a capable embellishing and card-making system to help you customize your cards.
Hence, you can easily transform regular cardstock into stylish embossed art with its manufacturer-made Textured Impressions Embossing Folders.
Additionally, this unit is one of the best small crafting machines out there. It is compact, portable, lightweight, and barely takes up much space.
7. Gemini by Crafter’s Companion Die Cutting and Embossing Machine Bundle – Best Automatic Die Cutting and Embossing MachineIf you are looking for the best automatic die cutting and embossing machine, the Gemini by Crafter’s Companion will be a great choice. Being automatic, it is easy to operate. Additionally, it is quiet, fast, and can cut edge-to-edge.
Moreover, the platform used on this machine is large, measuring 9 x 12.5 inches. Hence, you will be able to cut and emboss on A4 materials. It is compatible with a good number of embossing folders and dies in the market, too.
8. We R Memory Keepers Evolution Advanced Die-Cutting and Embossing Machine – The Best Lightweight Embossing MachineAlthough this is a relatively affordable embossing machine, you will be surprised at the additional features it offers. To begin with, the machine is equipped with a pressure dial, allowing you to regulate the degree of suction.
Its main goal is to offer you a universal crafting platform. Hence, this machine may also be used for letter pressing. Consequently, it has a height adjustment system that allows you to adjust the height of the machine to suit every project.
9. Spellbinders PL-001 Platinum Cut and Emboss Machine – A Unit With Reliable PowerThe Spellbinders PL-001 Platinum Cut machine may not be a lightweight option, but is a very versatile unit. It can cut about 40 different materials with widths of up to 8.5 inches.
Although it is a manual model, it offers reliable power and cutting pressure. Hence, you can cut six to eight layers of material at once.
Additionally, this machine is compatible with embossing folders, etched dies, contour steel rule dies, and texture plates by other brands, too.
10. Fiskars Fuse Creativity System Starter Set – Best Machine for Thick MaterialsAt a fairly affordable price, the 100770-1001 set comes with a main fuse creativity machine, an attached rubber mat, a cutting plate, a design set, two letterpress plates, and a spacer plate.
Although this is the heaviest product in this guide, it allows you to cut and create unique die-cut embellishments on thicker materials.
In this regard, the steel-rule dies used on this unit can easily cut layers of cardstock, foam, chipboard, foil, balsa wood, and magnet. Additionally, it may also be used on fabric materials like handmade clothing.
However, to be able to use embossing folders and dies by other manufacturers on this machine, you should consider buying the Fuse Adapter Kit (sold separately).
Things You Must Know Before Buying an Embossing Machine
Whether you are buying an embossing machine for personal or business use, you need to ensure that you have chosen the right unit.
As you may be aware, choosing the best embossing machine is not an easy task. This is mainly because you will be choosing from the hundreds of models available today. As such, you need to know what you are looking for.
These are some of the main considerations you should make:
As of now, you may be looking for a machine that can carry out the embossing task at hand. However, your embossing needs may change in the future.
Therefore, it is advisable to buy an embossing machine that is versatile — with regards to its capabilities. When it comes to the versatility of these machines, the first thing you need to consider is the materials they can emboss.
Some machines are specifically designed to emboss a specific material, such as paper. Buying such a unit will limit you to embossing paper only. What if you need to emboss cotton or metal strips in the future? Based on your embossing needs, it is advisable to choose a machine that can effectively work on different materials.
Additionally, you also need to check the number of embossing patterns your preferred embossing machine can produce. In this regard, you should go for a unit that allows you to produce multiple embossing patterns.
What is the best size for an embossing machine? Rather than buying a unit than can only work on items of a particular size, consider getting one that can emboss both small and large items. Some of the leading models today can accommodate items up to 12 inches wide.
Hence, the machine you choose should be versatile enough to emboss materials of different sizes, depending on the project you are working on at any given time. You may realize that the machines that offer more options are relatively big.
Additionally, remember to get a unit that offers substantial clearance to cut through several layers in a single pass.
3. Ease of Use
You do not want to end up buying a machine that is hard to calibrate and operate, right? While some of the machines available today are relatively easy to use, others are a bit complicated.
In this regard, you need to choose between manual and automatic embossing machines. If your preferred embossing machine is manually-operated, you need to ensure that it is easy to operate.
4. Compatibility with Powders and Dyes
What embossing powders and dyes do you intend to use with your embossing machine? Ensure that those dyes and powders are compatible with your preferred embossing machine. Basically, the leading models come with different dyes and are compatible with accessories from other manufacturers.
You would not want to buy a model that only works with specific dyes and powders because the functioning of the machine will then depend on the availability of the specified dyes and powders.
FAQs About Embossing Die Cutting Machines
Q: What Are Die Cutting Machines?
A die cutting machine cuts materials such as fabric, paper, foam, and thin plastic into specific shapes. The cutouts are then used in projects like homemade cards, decorations for a party, scrapbooking, or quilts.
A die cutting machine can either be manual or digital. A manual die cutting machine is similar to a cookie cutter in its working. That means it has sharp edges that facilitate the cutting of materials into particular shapes.
For this, one has to purchase the cutting dies used in the machine separately. Note that these cutting dies come in all sizes, shapes, and designs.
On the other hand, digital die cutting machines work similarly to a printer. That means they accept designs in two ways. One, the designs can be sent into the machine from a cartridge. A cartridge is a device that plugs into the die cutting machine after being preloaded with designs.
Two, the designs can originate from a computer with special software for designing and downloading them.
Q: What Are the Primary Operations of an Embossing and Die Cutting Machine?
As the name suggests, a die cutting machine has two key operations — cutting and embossing. Cutting has already been discussed above. Embossing, on the other hand, is the process of creating raised designs on a surface to generate the “pop-out” effect.
In addition, some machines can have extra operations such as drawing, piercing, and engraving.
- Drawing—Some die cutting machines allow the blades to be replaced with a marker for drawing instead of cutting.
- Piercing—This is the process of making holes in any given material such as fabric.
- Engraving—The cutting or carving of designs on a hard surface.
Whether a machine offers these extra features is dependent on its quality. A high-quality machine has more features than a low-quality one.
Q: What Are Die Cutting Machine Best Practices?
When using a die cutting machine, there are some practices one can implement for best results. First, it is advisable to use a wax paper between the die and cardstock, especially for the more intricate dies. Doing so helps prevent tearing.
Second, when changing the distance between the rollers, you should opt for an adjustable dial. The dial ensures you can cut different materials without having to purchase extra plates.
Finally, using a sticky tape will enable you to get more out of your dies. For example, you can create a frame by sticking a small and large die together.
The only downside of using sticky tape is that it tends to adhere to the materials. Hence, to prevent this, sprinkle a light dusting of talcum powder.
Q: What Are Die Cut Stickers?
A die cut sticker is a sticker that is cut into a unique shape so that it can fit a logo or a given piece of artwork. Because custom dies tend to be time-consuming to make and expensive, most manufacturers offer a collection of stock shapes made from pre-made dies.
If the stickers do not fit with your intended aesthetic, then manufacturers allow people to order custom dies at an increased price.
Our Final Review
While there are numerous die-cutting and embossing machines in the market today, choosing the right one can be challenging.
Basically, the best embossing machine should be versatile, compatible with embossing folders and die-cuts in the market, and able to work on small as well as large items. However, preferences may vary from one designer to another.
Hence, if you happen to be looking for an affordable option, the Sizzix 656225 Texture Boutique Embossing Machine is a great choice.
However, if you want a machine that can cut and emboss thicker materials, consider buying the Fiskars Fuse Creativity System Starter Set.