Are your gums receding? The problem could be as simple as your brushing technique. To address this problem, you should first assume the right brushing technique.
If you have receding gums, you will need more than just an electric toothbrush. In such a case, a good brush should have a timer, pressure sensors, different brushing modes and orthodontic brush heads (Source).
While these are the features your preferred toothbrush should have, you should also stop being too aggressive while brushing your teeth. it is also advisable to brush your teeth for about 2 minutes at a time.
Are you confused about which electric toothbrush to buy? Reviewed below.
Best Electric Toothbrush for Receding Gums 2018
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Electric Toothbrush for Receding Gums 2018
- 2 1. Philips Sonicare FlexCare Platinum – Best Overall
- 3 2. Waterpik (WP-900) Complete Care Water Flosser – Best Electric Toothbrush for Cleaning and Flossing Teeth
- 4 3. Oral-B Pro-Health Anti-Microbial Battery Powered Electric Toothbrush – The Best Affordable Electric Toothbrush for Receding Gums
- 5 4. Brio SmartClean Sonic Electric Toothbrush –
- 6 5. Oral-B Pro 3000 Electronic Power Rechargeable Battery Electric Toothbrush – The Most Powerful electric Toothbrush for Receding Gums
- 7 Things You Must Know Before Buying an Electric Toothbrush for Receding Gums
- 8 Our Final Review
|Philips Sonicare FlexCare Platinum|
|Waterpik (WP-900) Complete Care Water Flosser|
|Oral-B Pro-Health Anti-Microbial Battery Powered Electric Toothbrush|
|Brio SmartClean Sonic Electric Toothbrush|
|Oral-B Pro 3000 Electronic Power Rechargeable Battery Electric Toothbrush|
1. Philips Sonicare FlexCare Platinum – Best OverallAre you looking for a toothbrush that has been clinically proven to aid with receding gums? The Philips Sonicare-FlexCare-Platinum electric toothbrush is one such toothbrush.
In addition to being friendly to receding gums, this unit has been proven to kill about 99.9 percent of bacteria and whiten teeth. The newest model of this product features a gum care mode. This, coupled with the new InterCare brush head, allows the toothbrush to enhance gum health.
This product has been proven to help with such gum problems as receding gums, inflammation and bleeding. The product offers a reliable battery life, lasting for up to 12 days. With this product, you will benefit from its two brushing modes; the white and clean modes. The white mode is that standard mode for all Philips electric toothbrushes, delivering up to 31,000 brushing strokes per minute.
Another benefit of this product is its QuadPacer timer. Additionally, this toothbrush is also equipped with pressure sensors. This will allow you to keep time and to avoid exerting excessive pressure on the gums while brushing.
2. Waterpik (WP-900) Complete Care Water Flosser – Best Electric Toothbrush for Cleaning and Flossing TeethThis may be the only electric toothbrush by the manufacture, but is one of the best electric toothbrushes for receding gums today. To begin with, this toothbrush is equipped with soft bristles. This allows it to reach the tight spaces in your mouth. Additionally, Waterpik is one of the few electric toothbrush manufacturers offering sonic inter-dental brush heads.
While some users may find these heads a bit uncomfortable, they are some of the best for cleaning deep pockets, crowns and bridges. Among the enticing aspects of this toothbrush is the fact that it can brush and floss the teeth at the same time.
For efficient removal of food particles and plaque, this product uses vibrations and water pressure. Owing to its effectiveness, you should see improvements in gum health within two weeks of using the Waterpik Complete Care Water Flosser.
3. Oral-B Pro-Health Anti-Microbial Battery Powered Electric Toothbrush – The Best Affordable Electric Toothbrush for Receding GumsThe Oral-B Pro Health Anti-Microbial toothbrush is one of the most popular electric toothbrushes today, for a reason. Not only is this product affordable, it is also packed with the features you need to improve the health of your gums. The toothbrush is actually one of the best, with regards to removing particles and plaque from the tight spaces.
To achieve this, the unit is equipped with a rotating powerhead that features criss-cross bristles. The bristles on this toothbrush are also coated with anti-microbial protection. This keeps the toothbrush clean and free of microbial growth for up to 90 days. The heads of this toothbrush are replaceable and the handle features a silicone rubber grip. As such, the unit is comfortable to hold at any angle.
Though affordable, this toothbrush delivers a powerful cleaning experience, at 31,000 brushing strokes a minute. This speed leads to the creation of micro-bubbles in your mouth for a more effective cleaning experience. You will love the fact that this product offers 3 different brushing modes; the soft, massage and normal modes.
This being the case, you can customize this SmartClean Sonic toothbrush to meet our oral health needs. For instance, the soft mode of the toothbrush is best suited for brushing receding gums. The massage mode helps improve blood circulation in the gums, which enhances healing.
5. Oral-B Pro 3000 Electronic Power Rechargeable Battery Electric Toothbrush – The Most Powerful electric Toothbrush for Receding GumsIn addition to being friendly to receding gums, this is one of the most advanced electric toothbrushes today. The product is available in 3 main styles and may be tethered to an App through Bluetooth.
This allows for an enhanced cleaning experience. Additionally, this toothbrush is equipped with a visible pressure sensor. This sensor will light up whenever you are exerting too much pressure on the teeth while brushing.
This gives you more control over the brushing experience and curbs the receding gums problem. Another convenience feature you will love in this toothbrush is the in-built timer. This timer is programmed to pulse after every 30 seconds of brushing. This allows you to clean the four parts of your mouth more efficiently. You will also love the powerful brushing experience offered by this product.
In this regard, the Pro 3000 electric toothbrush can deliver up to 40000 strokes per minute. This allows you to remove particles and bacterial plaque from the mouth without hurting the gums. Despite having so many performance features, this product comes at a reasonable price.
Things You Must Know Before Buying an Electric Toothbrush for Receding Gums
The right electric toothbrush mainly depends on your personal preferences. However, the fact that there are hundreds of models to choose from makes things more complicated.
If you go to a dentist with a receding gum problem, the practitioner is more likely to recommend the use of an electric toothbrush. In order to buy the best electric toothbrush for receding gums, you need to know what you are looking for.
In this regard, these are some of the main considerations that you need to make:
1. Type of Electric Toothbrush
You may not know this, but there are several types of electric toothbrushes today. This being the case, choosing the right one can be a daunting task, especially for people with receding gums.
While shopping for the right toothbrush, these are some of the types you should consider:
- Rotating-oscillating – These feature small, rounded heads. Most of the Oral B ranges of toothbrushes belong to this category. In their functioning, these toothbrushes will oscillate-rotate in one direction and then in the other direction, around each tooth.
- Rotating electric toothbrushes – These have individual bristle tufts that can spin or rotating bristles arranged in circles. These are renowned for their affordability.
- Pulsing – Some of the leading rotating-oscillating and rotating electric toothbrushes are designed to pulsate. This allows the head to move forwards and backwards against the teeth as it spins.
- Dual head electric toothbrushes – These are the toothbrushes that feature two heads. In such toothbrushes, one end will be rotating while the other one sweeps side to side.
- Sonic and ultrasonic – These are designed to vibrate at high speeds and frequencies. Some of the leading brands are also said to drive cleaning fluids in between the teeth.
2. Pressure Sensors
If you are looking for the best electric toothbrush for receding gums, it is advisable to go for the ones with pressure sensors. Such toothbrushes are equipped with sensor to detect how hard the brush is pressing against the teeth.
The various products that offer this feature are designed to react differently. For instance, some of the leading models will trigger distinguished vibrations on the handle. This will let you know where you are pressing too hard.
This feature comes handy because most receding gum cases are caused by applying too much pressure while brushing. Other models will make a buzzing sound or even change colors whenever you apply too much pressure.
3. Orthodontic Brush Heads
This is another feature you preferred electric toothbrush should have. According to the leading dentists, brush heads on electric toothbrushes should be replaced after every 3 months. In this regard, the leading Orthodontic models are equipped with bristle indicators. These indicators are meant to fade gradually to remind you when you should replace the heads.
4. Moderate Cleaning Mode
If your gums are receding, few of the affordable electric toothbrush models will do. Instead of opting for the affordable options, you should consider buying the high end products. This is mainly because the various high end products are packed with the features you need. Some of the leading high-end electric toothbrushes offer up to 5 different brushing modes.
Such brushes will come in handy for people with receding gums. With such a toothbrush, you can easily customize it to your preferred brushing experience or dental health requirements. In this regard, you should look for a model that offers a sensitive/moderate mode.
When set to the sensitive/moderate mode, the toothbrush offers a gentle action at lower sonic speeds or oscillations.
5. Built-in Timer
How much time should you spend brushing your teeth? This is something that most people disregard today. According to the leading dentists today, it is advisable to brush your teeth at least two times a day and for about 2 minutes. For better results, you should divide the mouth into 4 teeth sections. You should then spend about 30 seconds brushing each of the sections.
A timer on your toothbrush will help you observe this practice. In most electric toothbrush models, the brush will go off once the preset time is over. Others may be programmed to signal you whenever you have spent 30 minutes brushing.
Again, you should know that brushing your teeth for more than 2 minutes can lead to gum irritation.
Our Final Review
Receding gums may be caused by several things, including using excessive pressure to brush teeth. As such, it is advisable to buy an electric toothbrush that has pressure sensors to regulate this pressure.
You will also need an in-built timer and the right cleaning mode for this condition. As you can see, not just any toothbrush is suited for people with receding gums.
Regardless of your preferences, this guide will help you choose the best electric toothbrush for receding gums today.