If you need to make repairs to leaky windows or roofs, you may need the best electric caulk gun. Caulking guns are quite handy, and without one, you will find it next to impossible to get a particular type of sealant or adhesive you are using out of the tube (Source).
However, a power caulk gun is an expensive tool, but it is worth the price. Not only does an electric caulk gun extrude a smooth, consistent bead, but it also saves you from repetitive motion injuries due to pumping a manual gun.
The choice of electric caulk and adhesive guns is immense and not everyone can make the best buying decision. However, we have created this guide to help you find the ideal powered caulk gun for your application.
What Is Thrust Ratio In A Caulk Gun?
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is Thrust Ratio In A Caulk Gun?
- 2 Comparing The Best Electric Caulk Guns
- 3 1. Makita XGC01Z Caulk Gun – Best Overall
- 4 2. Dewalt DC546B Cordless Caulk and Adhesive Dispenser – Best Value for Money
- 5 3. Milwaukee 2441-21 M12 Caulk Gun – Luxury High-End Choice
- 6 4. Ryobi P310G Caulk and Adhesive Gun – Best for a Tight Budget
- 7 5. Dewalt DC545K Caulk Gun – Best for Demanding Construction Works
- 8 How Do You Use An Electric Caulk Gun?
- 9 How Do You Clean Your Electric Caulk Gun Safely?
- 10 Things to Consider Before Buying the Best Electric Caulk Gun
- 11 Ready To Buy The Best Electric Caulk Gun?
Thrust is the pressure applied on a caulk tube when pressing the trigger. That causes the caulk to extrude out of its shell. The piston present in the caulk gun is responsible for applying this thrust.
Furthermore, the thrust ratio is the ratio between the generated force upon pulling the trigger and the developed forced to push the caulk out of the tube. Each caulk gun can either have a fix thrust ratio or an adjustable one.
Thrust ratios apply only to manual caulk guns. For instance, a thrust ratio of 18:1 refers to 1 lb of trigger force to use a power of 18 lbs to push the caulk out of the tube. Thrust ratio has been a popular way of measurement in caulk guns.
Certain adhesives, like epoxies, require a higher thrust force. As all the power in a manual caulk gun needs to be applied by the user, you can imagine how severe long term usage of such a caulk gun can be on his wrist.
That is why electric caulk guns are a better option to have precious thrust force application without the chance of hurting your hands while applying beads.
Comparing The Best Electric Caulk Guns
|Dewalt DC546B Cordless|
|Milwaukee 2441-21 M12|
1. Makita XGC01Z Caulk Gun – Best OverallThe Makita XGC01Z Caulk Gun is a more efficient solution for dispensing caulk and adhesives. Makita has their XGC01Z cordless caulk gun featuring extreme power, durability, and performance. It is the kind of tool that will transform your experience.
With an industry leading 1100 pounds of dispensing power for even the highest viscosity materials and cold weather use. This caulk is equipped with a variable speed trigger that allows you to adjust the speed conveniently.
It is fitted with 5-speed dial to match the speed to the application for an even drop at all viscosity levels. The drip reduction feature relieves pressure when the trigger is released to reduce accidental dispensing.
It also features an overload indicator light that notifies you when the tool is nearly overloaded so as to minimize breakage of the sealant. It will accommodate caulk and adhesive in the most widely used sizes for industrial and home application.
2. Dewalt DC546B Cordless Caulk and Adhesive Dispenser – Best Value for MoneyThe Dewalt DC546B Cordless Caulk and Adhesive Dispenser is a good tool for the money. It is a multipurpose gun that can be used for adhesive as well as caulking. It comes in at a very budget-friendly price range that you can afford.
This amazing tool has the extra power you need for both caulking and adhesive dispensing. It has a 360-degree rotatable holder that can effectively hold a quart size and 29 oz. cartridges. This allows you to do lots of applications with a single fill.
It is engineered to deliver up to 650 pounds of dispersing power for pushing the highest viscosity adhesive and caulking. It achieves this evenly and quickly. In actual fact, this is the reason why we urge you to consider buying this affordable gun.
The gun comes with auto-reverse technology, which has proven to be quite resourceful for most users. With this technology, you will be able to reduce drips due to overflow. In turn, this helps to minimize waste and improve cleanup.
3. Milwaukee 2441-21 M12 Caulk Gun – Luxury High-End ChoiceThe Milwaukee 2441-21 M12 Caulk Gun is a terrific choice for caulking and adhesive dispensing. This is the lightest as well as the most compact electric caulk gun in today’s market. It is engineered to deliver the best performance with only 12 volts.
With a remarkable pushing force of 400 pounds, the M12 is well-equipped to dispense daily construction adhesive and sealant. This pushing force may not be superior to the one delivered by most high-end models, but it is enough for the job.
The gun features a variable speed trigger, which allows you to conveniently trigger the flow rates. In addition, it is integrated with a maximum speed dial that allows for a total application speed control, which is very important for any user.
The configuration is engineered to work with a ten-ounce cartridge container. The gun also features a 360-degree rotating collar that allows you to have maximum control, especially around turns, which is very beneficial for most users.
4. Ryobi P310G Caulk and Adhesive Gun – Best for a Tight BudgetCaulking can be frustrating and simple construction works can put needless strain on your joints. To solve this problem, you need the Ryobi P310G Caulk and Adhesive Gun. This is one of Ryobi’s bestselling caulk and adhesive gun on the market.
The Ryobi 18-volt cordless caulk gun is designed to handle a wide variety of job site applications. It is made to use 10 or 30-ounce tubes of caulk, construction adhesive or roofing sealer.
Ryobi provides you with a dispensing power of 500 pounds for the superior provision of high-velocity caulking materials, sealants and adhesive. It is fitted with a variable speed adjuster that allows you to dispense diversified sizes of beads
This allows you to complete any sealing project without necessarily changing your workflow. The gun runs on an 18-volt battery, which is very energy efficient. You can actually dispense up to two hundred tubes of caulk on a single battery.
5. Dewalt DC545K Caulk Gun – Best for Demanding Construction WorksThe Dewalt DC545K Caulk Gun is one of the best caulking guns for the money. It is the perfect choice for demanding sealant or caulking jobs. This product is among the top rated adhesive and caulk dispensing tools.
The DC545K offers a much faster, easier and better method of distributing adhesive, sealants, and caulks of a wide variety. With a remarkable 650 pounds of distributing power, the gun is capable of dispensing even high viscosity materials you might want to use.
The Dewalt DC545K Caulk Gun is essential when applying construction/adhesive materials to floor joists, doors, and windows. It is also what you need when you want to apply roofing cement to chimney flashing.
The gun is installed with a rotatable chamber (360 degrees) that is compatible with a 300 to 310 ml, 1/10 gal, and 10-ounce cartridges. It also features a set-and-forget variable speed that allows you to effectively distribute just the correct amount of materials.
How Do You Use An Electric Caulk Gun?
Unlike manual trigger caulking guns, electric ones have a streamlined system to apply caulks and adhesives on walls and windows. Here is a stepwise guide on how to use this tool effectively.
- Make sure to release the plunger present at the rear.
- Unscrew the nozzle in the front of your caulk gun model allows it.
- Cut the tip of the caulk tube and puncture its tip with the needle that comes attached to the gun. If your gun model does not have one, then use some other needle or pin to puncture the tube.
- Snap the caulk tube in the nozzle compartment.
- Reattach the nozzle with the tube back in its place.
- Push the plunger towards the base of the tube to fix it in position. That should load the gun.
- Set the trigger on the gun to set the desired flow of the caulk from the tube.
- Position the gun at an angle of 45 degrees.
- While pressing the trigger, keep moving your hand steadily in the direction of the crack on the wall, window, etc.
- That should create a bead as long as you are pressing the trigger. Release the trigger once you are done with it.
- It will cause the gun to stop applying pressure on the tube from behind. Furthermore, the nozzle will stop leaking any more caulk adhesive.
If you need to smoothen the applied caulk bead, then you can do it with your finger or a flat surface.
How Do You Clean Your Electric Caulk Gun Safely?
Unlike manual caulk guns, electric ones need extra care while cleaning them safely. As several parts in such a tool are electric, you should not sink them in cleaners, chemicals, solvents, of any kind.
Furthermore, ensure that you clean an electric caulk gun by detaching the removable parts first. Use a dry cloth to wipe of caulk and adhesive deposits before they dry out whenever you are using the gun.
That will save you the additional time needed to clean the gun thoroughly. Additionally, you should always take help from the manufacturer of the caulk gun to make sure that you use safe cleansers for the tool.
Certain parts on the gun might react with cleaning chemicals, so make sure to avoid using them as well. Your best bet to clean an electric caulk gun safely is to wipe the non-electric parts with a damp cloth, and the electrical components with a dry one.
Things to Consider Before Buying the Best Electric Caulk Gun
The best electric caulk gun has many features that come along with it. Finding the right caulk gun will make your work a lot easier. You need a caulk gun that will effectively meet your expectations.
When looking for a home project electric caulk gun, it is advisable to opt for the one that does not cost much. This is because they are good investments for problems that occur occasionally.
For jobs that take a lot of time before completion cheap caulk guns should at all cost be avoided as they will be hard on the hands due to pressure applied.
Branded electric caulk guns cost more as they are built of high-quality materials. This helps in building their reputation. This; however, comes with a cost to the buyer as the price is high compared with the unrecognized brands with cheap materials.
One should be on the lookout on the material used. In most cases steel is considered as one of the best options for a caulk gun. Other options include plastic, alloy material and a combination of steel frame and aluminum for a durable heavy-duty caulk gun.
The thrust ratio should also be keenly considered. With a high thrust ratio, the dispensing of the adhesive is easier. This is mostly the case if it is a high viscosity. A caulk gun with a thrust ratio of 26:1 will easily handle thick, viscous materials. With a thrust ratio of 10:1 to 12:1, the power caulk gun will work well on standard viscous materials.
Type of Barrel and Speed Adjustment
Type of the barrel should not be left behind when considering the best power caulk gun. This is because most of the cartridges of the adhesives are perfectly built to fit into half barrel caulk guns.
The speed adjustment feature should also be considered as it helps in setting speed according to the purpose at hand. If the appliance need of the caulking gun is on different materials, you are advised to consider one with a variable speed adjustment.
Type of Caulking Gun
With all caulk guns serving the same functions, they do not work on the same mechanism. As they are of different types to choose from, starting with the electric powered caulk guns, and the stamped-steel caulk gun.
The steel stamped guns are cost friendly and you will find that they are hard to operate. Mostly they are operated manually, which makes it tiresome. The electric caulk gun is the latest innovation.
With a little practice required. The electric caulking gun operates with ease and extremely well as they are easy on your hands. They are the best as the hassle to constantly having to caulk is reduced.
Precision and Efficiency
The best electric caulk gun should be able to implement precision in successfully laying a joint in a line that is straight and that is of the same diameter. With high pressure that is of a constant flow of silicone, it is important to have a caulk gun that is precise.
Efficiency when using an electric caulk gun should also be considered. As all, it requires a portion of silicon that will be enough for the job at hand. A caulk gun with an adjustable regulator will dispense the correct amount of caulk or adhesive without overflows.
A good caulk gun should offer comfort when being used. Due to the nature of work at hand, a project can take a longer time to complete or one that will take a shorter time. One should consider a caulk gun that will not be hard on your hands.
You should consider the weight when buying a caulk gun. There are some models that weigh less, making them convenient for low-viscosity materials. There are some designs that weigh more, which are suitable for high-viscosity materials.
The heavy weighted caulk guns may sometimes lead to fatigue to the user, even in matters relating to portability. A good caulk gun should be one that will be easier to carry with you anywhere you go.
Ready To Buy The Best Electric Caulk Gun?
This marks the end of our best electric caulk gun reviews. As you have seen, you are better off with a powered caulk gun than a manual one.
Our best overall choice for you is the Makita XGC01Z Caulk Gun. It has all the features you may need, and at a reasonable price range.
You should also not miss out on the service of an electric caulk gun because of a tight budget.
We have an affordable choice for you, the Ryobi P310G Caulk Gun. Now it is your turn to make the wise buying decision.
Aside from leaks, you should also look out for possible cause of fire in your home! This list will give you the greatest options for smoke detector cameras.