Are you getting ready for a woodworking project, and you need the best drill bits for wood? The price of these accessories goes from $10 to $30 or more. The good news is that most manufacturers will offer sets of several pieces for the price.
When choosing drill bits for wood, you should consider the application you are drilling, but also the material used to construct the bit. If you need to make a hole in strong hardwood material, you will need a durable and tough piece.
The type and design of the drill bit can also play a role in making a suitable choice. In this article, we selected the top five drill bits for wood out there. Our reviews focused on their crucial features, and what makes them stand out from the competition.
We will also discuss pricing, brands, and other factors that can help you choose the best product for your needs.
What Are Drill Bits for Wood?
Table of Contents
- 1 What Are Drill Bits for Wood?
- 2 How Much Do Drill Bits for Wood Cost?
- 3 Reviews of Top 5 Products
- 4 1. DEWALT Drill Bit Set, Brad Point – Best Overall
- 5 2. WORKPRO 10-Piece Pro Spade Drill Bit Set – Most Durable
- 6 3. Bosch MS4034 34-Piece Drill and Drive Bit Set – Budget Pick
- 7 4. BLACK+DECKER Screwdriver Bit Set / Drill Bit Set – Most Pieces in the Set
- 8 5. Makita B-65399 Impact Gold Titanium – Best Titanium-Coated
- 9 Drill Bits for Wood Brands
- 10 Factors to Consider Before Buying Drill Bits for Wood
- 11 How to Use Drill Bits for Wood
- 12 Ready to Use Drill Bits for Wood for Your Next Project?
A drill bit is an essential component of a drill. It is a tool that you mount on the drill, and it does the actual job of drilling. The main device powers the bit, and enables it to rotate. That action allows the drill bit to create a hole in the application.
Drill bits for wood are tools specialized for this type of material. Whether you are a DIY enthusiast or a professional, drilling wooden applications is often a requirement needed to complete a particular project. There are special drill bits for stainless steel as well (click here for top choices), so make sure you use the right type for your project.
You can find different types of drill bits for wood, and these tools can be made from various materials. Apart from a suitable type for your application, you should also pick a bit of the right size.
A particular component called a chuck serves to hold the bit in place while working. By choosing a suitable drill bit size, you enable that the entire process goes smoothly.
How Much Do Drill Bits for Wood Cost?
You may receive some drill bits when purchasing the best cordless drill, but some tools come without these accessories. Additionally, you want to use pieces of better quality or find specialized bits, such as ones suitable for wood.
The price of drill bits for wood can go anywhere from $10 to $30 or more. If you decide to go for a budget-friendly price, the chances are you won’t get particularly durable bits.
They may also not be capable of handling extremely tough applications. However, affordable bits should be enough for light home improvement projects.
If you go for a more expensive drill bit set, you should get long-lasting bits that are resistant to snapping and wear and tear. They might also have higher versatility that entry-level bits, which means they can handle hardwood applications.
Please note that the number of bits in a set may also affect the price. A big pack of drill bit pieces might cost more because you get more pieces than in compact-sized sets.
Reviews of Top 5 Products
|DEWALT Drill Bit Set|
|WORKPRO 10-Piece Drill bit Set|
|Bosch MS4034 Drill Bit Set|
|BLACK+DECKER Drill Bit Set|
|Makita B-65399 Impact Gold Titanium|
1. DEWALT Drill Bit Set, Brad Point – Best OverallIf your cutting edges need to be precise, and you want to minimize splintering, you should go with brad point drill bits. DeWalt offers a six-piece set with each bit selected carefully to ensure maximum versatility.
Those who want to handle chip removal effectively will appreciate the engineered flutes. The specific tip will minimize walking, and the units are reliable enough for precise holes.
The manufacturer used high-speed steel, which contributes to overall durability of the bits. You can handle wood materials of various strengths. The smallest size is a 1/8-inch bit, and the biggest is ½-inches.
It is a shame that DeWalt doesn’t offer a case with their product. Although the bits are durable, you still need a storage case, or you may risk losing them.
2. WORKPRO 10-Piece Pro Spade Drill Bit Set – Most DurableWORKPRO designed a drill bit set with ten pieces included. The sizes cover a wide range from ¼ inches to 1 ½ inch. That gives you the necessary versatility and the capability of handling different applications.
The manufacturer used carbon steel of the highest quality, and improved the durability with the black coating and treating the bits with heat. Apart from the bits, you will receive a hex shank. It serves to change the pieces quickly when necessary.
You will receive a storage case, which allows you to organize the pieces nicely. The case is compact and ideal for carrying from one job site to another.
While it is technically not a drawback, pay attention to the fact that each bit it sharp. It is supposed to be like that, but you should be cautious not to cut yourself.
3. Bosch MS4034 34-Piece Drill and Drive Bit Set – Budget PickThe first thing you should note is that the set contains 15 drill bits, and the rest is made of driving bits. You will find titanium, rotary masonry, and brad point drill bits in various sizes (five of each). The size depends on the type, but it goes from 1/16 to 5/16-inches.
The durability of the pieces is solid, but they might not be the best choice for extremely hard applications. However, they should meet the needs of DIY enthusiasts, and most projects you do around home.
Apart from a wide range of bits, you will also get a bit holder, as well as a carry case. It is made from hard plastic, and it helps you to keep all the pieces in one place.
4. BLACK+DECKER Screwdriver Bit Set / Drill Bit Set – Most Pieces in the SetCan you believe that the set designed by BLACK+DECKER has more than 100 pieces? The exact number is 109, but only a small portion of them are drill bits. Regardless, you will get plenty of them for the price, and the remaining pieces only increase the versatility.
The chances are you will never get to use some of the pieces included, but the good news is you should find a suitable bit for every occasion. Although the pieces are capable of drilling wood, some of them can handle masonry and metal.
The drill bits are fairly durable, especially considering the price. The storage case is small and packs the pieces in the smartest possible way.
5. Makita B-65399 Impact Gold Titanium – Best Titanium-CoatedThese are steel bits, but they have titanium coating. According to the manufacturer’s estimates, that improves longevity for 2.5x times.
The engineers from Makita made sure to use their knowledge to ensure a quick start and minimal walking with a 135-degree split point.
The pack has a total of 14 pieces, and you can store them all in a hard plastic case. The sizes vary from 1/16 to ½-inch, and each of them has a designated spot in the case. Be careful when working with small bits because they may snap if you bend them.
The drill bits are versatile and usable for both soft and hardwood, as well as other materials. That puts the versatility of the set at a very high level.
Drill Bits for Wood Brands
Your search for the best drill bits for wood starts with a brand. If you want to find reliable bits you can count on at any time, you want to get them from a reputable company. Here are some top names in the industry.
DeWalt doesn’t take any special introduction since you are probably already familiar with the brand. For over a century, this company has been delivering top-quality power and hand tools for woodworking, manufacturing, and construction industries.
The manufacturer offers everything you may need to drill various applications. Apart from a wide selection of bits, it also offers power drills and other tools (e.g. greatest ratcheting screwdrivers) that every DIY enthusiast should have.
Makita has a long history that goes back to 1915 when the company was established in Japan. Today, their headquarters are still there, but they have factories in the USA, UK, and seven other countries.
As a Japanese company, Makita is dedicated to quality and usability. Their tools are versatile and reliable, and you can say the same for their greatest biscuit joiners and top-rated stud and joist drills.
It all started in 1910 when two young entrepreneurs joined forces to open a machine shop. From Baltimore, BLACK+DECKER conquered the world in the coming years. Today, it is a worldwide brand that still focuses on a single thing – the needs of their customers.
BLACK+DECKER is famous for affordable entry-level tools that are reliable and versatile. The company focuses on delivering the highest possible value with every product.
Although we presented many companies with a long tradition, Bosch has the longest one. It was founded in 1886 in Germany, and it has gone through a lot to become one of the most reputable names in the technology industry.
Bosch doesn’t focus on a single industry but designs power tools, automotive parts, household appliances, and many other electronics.
GreatStar established this brand over two decades ago. The idea was to launch products that users would use for their everyday needs. Ever since day one, the brand was dedicated to offering excellent features and quality and a budget-friendly price.
It is worth noting that GreatStar sells products throughout different continents, and users from over 100 countries use their tools. The same can be said for WORKPRO, which is a popular brand with DIY enthusiasts and professionals.
Factors to Consider Before Buying Drill Bits for Wood
Apart from choosing a reputable brand, product features can also help you to choose the best drill bits for wood out there. Here is a list of things you should focus on during the purchasing process.
What Do You Plan to Drill?
We know that you want to drill wood, but that material can have various characteristics. That is why you should make a difference between hardwood and softwood.
You can get hardwood from trees that only contain leaves. That includes maple, ebony, ash, rosewood, oak, mahogany, etc. As for softwood, that type bears only cones.
Trees like redwood, spruce, pine, larch, and hemlock fall into that category. It is more difficult to drill hardwood, and the challenge is even bigger if you keep in mind this material can be quite pricey.
The good news is that a strong drill bit can handle both hard and softwood. In that case, you will need to invest more time and effort in hardwood. With any type of material you will be drilling, aside from the quality of drill bits, the use of top drill press vises will be a great help.
The manufacturer’s choice of material can affect the performance and efficiency of the product. The basic rule to stick to is that you should go with a material that is harder than the application.
Some of the popular choices include:
- Carbide – it is very durable, which puts it into the category of heavy-duty materials. However, they may be prone to breakage if you apply too much force.
- Titanium – this material is famous for its durability, and that is why many experts love it. Titanium can be a great choice for tough applications.
- HSS – the abbreviation stands for high-speed steel. It is a fairly sturdy material that many drill bit manufacturers use. However, it’s not as tough as the options mentioned above, which is why you should only stick to drilling soft materials with it.
Other Features to Consider
Here are some other useful pointers and tips for using when choosing drill bits for wood:
- Type – you can choose between auger, twist, Forstner, brad point, and spade drill bits. Pilot and countersink and hole saw bits are also popular among users.
- Design – you should focus on drill point length and angle, as well as flute design.
- Coating – coating might improve durability and chip flow, but you want to choose one suitable for wood materials.
How to Use Drill Bits for Wood
First, you need to pick a suitable drill bit for your application. Your primary concern should be material toughness, and the bit needs to be stronger than the workpiece you are drilling. Here is what you should do once you choose an appropriate drill bit.
- Place the bit into the chuck. The chuck is a part that holds the drill bit in place. Make sure to position and tighten it well.
- If necessary, mark the exact point where you want to drill a hole with a pen.
- Align your tool with the mark where you need to make a hole. Try to keep the device perpendicular to the workpiece as that will secure a straight drilling angle.
- Activate your tool and start the drilling process.
You may need to change drill bits depending on the material. Keep in mind some chucks are keyless and don’t require any tools, but others come with a special piece to use while changing the bit.
Ready to Use Drill Bits for Wood for Your Next Project?
You need to consider the application you want to drill first. If it is softwood or thin material, even the lightest drill bits out there will do the job.
But if you need to handle a hardwood application, and you want a precise hole, it is wise to find the best drill bits for wood out there.
The material directly affects the capability of handling hard materials, as well as the overall durability of the drill bits. You should also make sure to choose the right type of the bit. That will depend on whether you need precise cutting edges, or your main consideration is quickness.
It would be silly not to consider the price, too. Apart from meeting your needs in terms of features, the drill bits should also fit your budget. If you want to make the most out of the drill bits for wood, go with a versatile set with different sizes. That way, a single package can serve for many projects to come!