Stainless steel is a strong and durable metal, and drilling through it is a tricky task. If you want the process to go smoothly, you need the best drill bits for stainless steel.
The main characteristic of these drill bits is that the manufacturers use premium materials to design them. The quality of materials should be strong enough to handle hard applications like stainless steel.
That is why the price of these bits varies from $10 to more than $50 per set. The good news is that you will get pieces of multiple sizes in every set.
Take a look at our reviews of top-rated drill bits for stainless steel. We focus on the crucial features, benefits, and drawbacks of each set.
We also talk about brands, pricing, and all relevant factors to consider when choosing a drill bit to meet your expectations.
What Are Drill Bits for Stainless Steel?
Table of Contents
- 1 What Are Drill Bits for Stainless Steel?
- 2 How Much Do Stainless Steel Drill Bits Cost?
- 3 Reviews of Top 5 Products
- 4 1. DeWalt DW1263 Drill Bit Set – Best Overall
- 5 2. Neiko 10194A Titanium Step Drill Bit – Budget Pick
- 6 3. Gazeto 16PCS Twist Drill Bit Set – Best Cobalt Bits
- 7 4. Mastercraft Titanium Drill Bit Set for Metal – Most Pieces in a Set
- 8 5. Bosch 21 Piece Cobalt Metal Drill Bit Set – Highest Accuracy
- 9 Drill Bits for Stainless Steel Brands
- 10 Factors to Consider Before Buying Drill Bits for Stainless Steel
- 11 How to Use Drill Bits for Stainless Steel
- 12 Ready to Use Drill Bits for Stainless Steel for Your Next Project?
Have you ever used a power drill? If the answer is yes, you are probably aware of what drill bits are. These are components of this tool that do the actual drilling task.
You mount a drill bit to a power tool by using a chuck. That way, the bit remains in its position and uses a rotation at high speeds to drill a hole through any workpiece.
Drill bits for stainless steel should be strong and durable. You can choose from various materials but always keep in mind maximum strength. The bits usually come in sets with many different sizes, and are different from the best drill bits for wood.
Although choosing the right power tool is important, you can’t do any job without a reliable drill bit. A cheap bit will easily break, and it may destroy the workpiece you are drilling. That is why you should look for a trustworthy drill bit, and always go with the most suitable one for your current project.
How Much Do Stainless Steel Drill Bits Cost?
Although drill bits are only a single component of a power drill (cordless drill options here), they are an essential part of this tool. They affect the performance and efficiency of this device, which is why you should choose them carefully.
Since stainless steel is a strong material, you also need strong drill bits. That increases their price when compared to bits used for wood or plastic.
The cost of drill bits for stainless steel varies from $10 to more than $50. The quality and durability of the pieces is the primary thing that affects the price. Although it depends on the unit, expensive drill bits may be more suitable for thick steel.
Since bits come in a set, the number of pieces will also affect the total price. That is why you should consider the average price per count, too. Your primary concern, however, should be to get the most bang for the buck.
Reviews of Top 5 Products
|DEWALT DW1263 Drill Bit Set|
|Neiko 10194A Titanium Step Drill Bit|
|Gazeto 16PCS Twist Drill Bit Set|
|Mastercraft Titanium Drill Bit Set for Metal|
|Bosch 21 Piece Cobalt Metal Drill Bit Set|
1. DeWalt DW1263 Drill Bit Set – Best OverallDeWalt is among the biggest names in the industry, and this set proves why. It contains a total of 14 bits that vary from 1/16 to 3/8 inches in size. Cobalt was the preferred material for each of these, which makes the pieces extremely durable.
The entire set comes in a case that is also durable and damage-resistant. That way, the transport from one location to another is simple. Each piece has a marked slot within the case so that you can find a suitable piece easily.
The fact that drill bits are potent and aggressive is both a blessing and a curse. Although they can drill holes quickly, you should be cautious when using them on thin materials. If you are not careful, you may break the workpiece easily.
2. Neiko 10194A Titanium Step Drill Bit – Budget PickNeiko used an interesting approach – instead of designing an entire set, they made a single bit with ten-step sizes. If you think of it, this is a 10-in-1 unit, and the sizes vary from ¼ inches to 1 3/8 inches.
The manufacturer used high-speed steel for the unit and coated it with titanium. That makes the bit suitable for stainless steel, but also copper, aluminum, and other metal applications.
The product may not be suitable for beginners because you need to apply a lot of caution when working with it. If there is too much heat, you may damage the bit. That is why you should stick to low speeds, and take things slowly.
The bit has a 135-angle for optimum precision and a two-flute design that allows efficient chip removal.
3. Gazeto 16PCS Twist Drill Bit Set – Best Cobalt BitsGazeto designed another drill bit set that we can consider an entry-level pack for various uses. The set contains 16 twist pieces with the smallest one having a 1mm diameter, and the biggest one a 10mm diameter.
The manufacturer used high-speed steel with a small quantity of cobalt to improve heat resistance. Thanks to that, the drill bit set is suitable for 304 stainless steel. The drill bit set is versatile, and it will also work on other metals, plastic, and wood.
A small downside may be that the bits use metric measurements. However, you should quickly get used to that.
The bigger problem might be that the pieces are not as durable as in some other sets. Although the affordable price makes that understandable, it should be clear that this is not a long-term investment.
4. Mastercraft Titanium Drill Bit Set for Metal – Most Pieces in a SetAt first glance, the offer for getting 230 drill bits at an affordable price sounds like a great deal. All the pieces are made of high-speed steel with titanium coating for enhanced durability.
You can choose from more than 15 sizes available. The good news is that you will get several bits for the majority of sizes. That way, if you lose a piece or break it, you will have a spare one.
The bad news is that the set doesn’t offer a bigger size than ½ inches. While that will cover you most of the time, you won’t be able to handle specialized tasks that require bigger bits.
5. Bosch 21 Piece Cobalt Metal Drill Bit Set – Highest AccuracyCobalt is one of the strongest materials you can use for drill bits. That is especially true if you want to cut stainless steel and other metal applications.
The bits are reliable and available in 16 different sizes ranging from 1/16 to ½ inches. The split-point tip ensures a clean start and precise drilling.
The shank has a three-flat design for optimal gripping, and the guards are a nice touch. Their task is to prevent slipping.
It is a shame that Bosch didn’t include a better case with the product. The current one is plastic, and it won’t last for a long time. Since this is a premium and long-lasting set, you may want to consider moving the bits to a more durable case.
Drill Bits for Stainless Steel Brands
It doesn’t matter which product you are buying, but you can’t go wrong if you stick to reliable brands. Here is a list of the most reputable names that specialize in designing drill bits for stainless steel.
Mastercraft is a brand that belongs to the Canadian Tire Corporation. For years now, the company has been releasing reliable products for household and professional use.
The list of products includes handheld and stationary power tools, as well as socket sets, screwdrivers, and drill bits. Mastercraft is ready to offer a generous warranty, which is a nice sign that the company trusts its products.
One of the largest European-based conglomerates was founded in Germany in the 19th century. It was the focus on designing high-quality and innovative products that took them to their current position.
Although Bosch designs numerous power tools for individual and professional needs, you will find their products in other industries, too. The list includes the automotive industry, consumer electronics, factory machines, etc.
Gazeto specializes in designing drill and driver bits of various sizes and types. Although they only stick to that particular area, their products are reliable.
The company tries to offer an excellent ratio between price and quality. That is why their products can be a fine choice for all those DIY experts looking for entry-level bit sets.
Neiko is a big name in the automotive industry since they design specialized automotive socket sets. Apart from that, the company also designs safety and lighting products, such as visibility vests and face protection.
Torque wrenches and bit sockets are also a part of their portfolio. Neiko has numerous positive user reviews, and it is making its way toward the top of the industry.
The story of this company starts in 1910. Nobody ever thought they would become a worldwide corporation at that time. Today, they are a leader in the power tool industry. Millions throughout the world pick DeWalt for construction, woodworking, and other DIY needs.
The company offers a wide range of drill bits for different applications. They manage to maintain excellent quality control, which makes their products trustworthy. You can find other top drill types among their products, including a stud and joist drill features in this best list.
Factors to Consider Before Buying Drill Bits for Stainless Steel
It is not easy to drill through stainless steel, but you can make the process effortless with the right tool. If you want to know how to choose the best drill bits for stainless steel, focus on the factors below.
You can’t choose just any material for the drill bits that should go through stainless steel. You should stick to these choices:
- Titanium – these are not actual titanium bits, but they have a titanium coating. That makes them more durable and suitable for hard applications like stainless steel. A potential drawback may be that the coating wears off, which may limit the longevity of the pieces.
- Cobalt – the manufacturers use steel alloys to design these bits. The biggest advantage is impressive heat resistance.
- HSS – high-speed steel is the material you will commonly find in drill bits. It can do a good job of drilling thin stainless steel.
The size of the bit should match the size of the hole you want to drill in the material. For lightweight projects, small bits can do the job. The units that belong in this category vary from 1/16 up to 3/16 inches.
Some projects, especially if you are a professional, may demand bigger holes and, therefore, larger bits. These can have a diameter of 5/16 to ½ inches.
Since you may have to change the bits frequently, it is always a wise idea to buy a drill bit set. The more sizes available within the set, the higher the versatility of the tool.
Other Factors to Consider
Check out some other features that may be relevant when choosing a drill bit for stainless steel:
- Drill point angle – you can use 118-degree bits with soft steel. However, if you are dealing with thick materials, we would suggest a 135-degree drill point angle.
- Shank – you can choose between hex, round, and SDS shanks. Ultimately, these can all do a good job of gripping the bit so that it doesn’t fall off during the drilling.
- Flute – a 30-degree angle ensures minimal waste when drilling a hole in stainless steel. That is why you should go for that angle and a small flute design.
How to Use Drill Bits for Stainless Steel
The crucial thing to ensure is that you have chosen the right drill bit for the job. Once you do that, follow the below steps to drill a hole in the material.
- Insert the drill bit into the chuck of your power drill. Position it properly, and twist to lock it into place. The mechanism of your drill might be different, but the idea is that the bit stays in position.
- Consider where you need to drill a hole in your workpiece. You can use a pen or another market to pick a precise place.
- Grab the tool and put it next to the marked position. Turn on the drill, and start drilling the hole slowly. Since stainless steel is a firm material, you may need a bit of patience and effort. It will also help to use a top-rated drill press vise to ensure the material is in place as you drill.
- Once you drill the hole, turn off the tool and wait for the rotation to stop before you unmount the drill bit.
Ready to Use Drill Bits for Stainless Steel for Your Next Project?
Have you already found the best drill bits for your upcoming stainless-steel drilling project? You should pick a bit that can drill the workpiece effortlessly.
Thick stainless steel may require the strongest and most durable bits out there. On the other hand, pieces of average strength should be enough for thin steel or other metal applications.
The material will not only affect the suitability for the workpieces that are a part of your next project. Additionally, they will affect the lifespan of each drill bit. If you go with durable pieces made of cobalt or titanium, you may use them for many upcoming projects.
Ultimately, it all depends on your preference. If you rarely use drill bits for stainless steel, a budget-friendly set may be a good choice. But if you are a professional, don’t hesitate to choose the most durable bits out there. That way, you will ensure they last for a long time, which makes them a smart investment!