When you hear the word Dragon, you probably think of a serpent-like creature with a horse-like face with clawed feet and can fly. But, some of you might picture a sign of good luck or a terrifying monster.
There are plenty of beliefs and myths revolving around dragons in various cultures, but one common depiction that they all have is wings. Dragon wings usually look like batwings protruding out from their backs majestically.
These have been one of the most popular cosplay props that both adults and kids admire. In this post, we will look at the five best dragon wings you can choose right now for a theme party, a co-play exhibition, comic-con, or just for fun.
Furthermore, we will also look at the dragon wings buying guide, and other cool stuff related to Dragons in this post. We also try to answer some of the most asked questions regarding these mythical creatures.
Comparing The Top 5 Picks
Table of Contents
- 1 Comparing The Top 5 Picks
- 2 DIY Dragon Wings Tutorial
- 3 Buying Guide
- 4 Brief History Of Dragons
- 5 Various Colors And Styles
- 6 What Are Dragon Wings Made Of?
- 7 How Do Dragon Wings work?
- 8 What Are Some Popular Dragons In Popular Culture?
- 9 Ready To Buy Dragon Wings
- Made up with natural jute fiber, this jute twine is biodegradable, safety and Eco-friendly
- Made w/ Soft Foam Interior for Durability; Wings: 21.5" length x 11.5" height
- Bunmo textured stretchy string anxiety relief toys are the perfect sensory toys for relieving impulses in Autistic children. Widely used for traits of...
- Leather Strop Double-Sided: for beginners and professionals that like honing to keep woodcarving tools razor sharp. Use both sides of the strop to...
- Item Package Length: 6.604cm
DIY Dragon Wings Tutorial
Do not want to spend on a custom pair of dragon wings? Maybe you want to try making one yourself. Check out this cool DIY dragon wings tutorial for crafting a pair of awesome wings on your own.
Dragons come in various shapes and sizes, including their wings. That’s why you have many choices when buying dragon wings for your cosplay projects. Consider the following factors before buying a pair of dragon wings.
- Size – Dragons are giant, muscular, and majestic creatures. Naturally, they will have large-sized wings to support and balance their physiques. That’s why you need to invest in dragon wings that have a decent size.
Dragon wings cosplay projects can involve wings of various sizes. The right size can bring forth a beautiful look to your costume. So, choose wisely.
- Material –You can buy dragon wings based on the material you prefer. Real dragon wings were known to be tear-resistant and sturdy. That was necessary to give the creatures enough lift for a possible flight (Source).
Cosplay wings will not give you a flight, but they can resemble their real counterparts as much as possible. Thus, you can choose materials like silk, Kevlar, feathers, cotton, Teflon, and many others. These materials have their unique properties ranging from flexibility to resilience.
- Wingspan – Dragon wings with a decent wingspan look quite elegant, especially when fully open. That’s why you need to choose wings with an appropriate wingspan. Choose the ones that are not too wide from wingtip to wingtip.
Likewise, make sure to invest in the ones that are not just tiny stubbles on the back, which would only make them look ugly.
- Design – There is no limit to which type of design you want to choose for your preferred dragon wings. It all depends on creativity. Thus, you can find dragon wings anywhere from fluffy like clouds to pointy like thorns.
The design can also resemble batwings that have a thin membrane with a skeletal structure. So, choose the ones that will blend with your dragon costume appropriately. You can even select wing designs that have a fiery or an icy-cold layout as per your preference.
- Ergonomics – You will have to wear the wings on your back, so you have to make sure that they attach comfortably in position. The hooks or strings will have to grip correctly on your back to ensure comfort. Therefore, choose a pair that is ergonomically-designed.
- Weight – Some materials used for creating these wings can be heavier than others. That would add more weight to the body. If the cosplay is for a child, then choose lightweight dragon wings.
Furthermore, a detailed set of wings will have a decent weight to them. Whichever you choose, just make sure that you have the endurance and strength to carry them around.
- Symmetry – Each wing needs to be a mirror-image of the other. That’s why balance in the dragon wings is essential before purchasing them. Symmetry also suggests high quality in the product.
- Advanced Features – You can also find high-tech dragon wings nowadays that are motorized to spread when toggled. Such sophisticated features look great, but these will also add to the costs.
If you want a high-quality and detailed set of dragon wings, choose the ones with advanced features.
Brief History Of Dragons
The dragons that you see in movies and stories are nowhere near the ones found in real life. But the earliest known attributes of acknowledged dragons resemble snakes. Most scholars and researchers state that the inclusion of dragons in various cultures has been because of the innate fear in humans for snakes and other animals preyed on human ancestors.
The most relatable cousins to actual dragons were the winged dinosaurs and ancient birds. But, none of them resembled accurately to the ones we are accustomed to seeing or imagining in stories, pictures, and movies. Moreover, each region of the world had its representation of dragons.
While most of them represent dragons with wings, the Chinese dragon is the only one that has no wings. Instead, it looks like a giant serpent with an elongated head, antennas, and giant nostrils. The same goes for the Egyptians, who have shown images of a giant serpent that resided in the Egyptian underworld.
Additionally, various cultures considered dragons evil and ferocious, while in some parts, dragons were a symbol of sovereignty, good luck, strength, and power. These giant winged-lizards have also been one of the fascinating entities in ancient stories. Many formidable warriors were depicted as slaying dragons to show their courage and strength.
In the modern era, the representation of dragons has been considered exaggeration of real-world reptiles, like alligators, Gila monsters, and Komodo dragons. Nevertheless, mythical dragons have grown even more popular among people of all ages (Source).
This has a lot to do with TV shows and games like Game of Thrones, Dungeons & Dragons, and many more.
Various Colors And Styles
Dragon wings are available in a variety of styles that can appeal to your chosen costume. Let’s familiarize yourself with the popular choices for these props so that you have a better idea of what to prefer for your costume party.
Cotton Dragon Wings
These are perhaps the most basic ones that you can find online or create your own through available DIY tutorials. These comprise of lightweight cotton fabric with a thin metal framework. Additionally, these are among the cheapest dragon wings available online, and more oriented towards basic cosplays. Cotton dragon wings are available in various colors, sizes, and shapes, making them one of the most popular dragon wing choices.
Foam Dragon Wings
Another popular material used for these legendary wings is soft foam, which is durable, stretchable, and comfortable to wear on the back. This material is also quite light and can be modified into any shape, color, and design to conveniently strap on the back and flaunt for a cosplay session.
- Material: Fabric Pu Foam
- Soar to new heights with this foam strap-on dragon wings costume accessory
- 🐲Get this dragon wings set, make your little one’s dragon dream come true!
Foam dragon wings can retain their shape much better than cotton-based ones. That’s why small to medium-sized ones might not even need a skeletal framework to keep them upright.
Polyester Dragon Wings
These wings are quite similar to cotton wings, but the fabric is much better at chemical resistance, strength, and elasticity. It is also easily moldable to any wing shape to give a nice-looking pair of wings for costumes for both kids and adults.
Feather Dragon Wings
While these are not historically accurate, but you can find dragon wings made of bird feathers too. These look good if your cosplay is more towards a cute or beautiful dragon type. Thus, it might be a suitable choice for kids or women who want to dress up as a dragon of their choice. Feathered dragon wings are available in various colors to suit all types of costumes.
- Size: One Sizes Fit Most
- 【Adjustable】 These angel wings are also adjustable at the center to be worn wide or folded back，With adjustable elastic straps, the feather...
Synthetic Hair Dragon Wings
Like their feathered cousins, synthetic hair-based dragon wings are soft, lightweight, adaptable, and available in many colors. These might not have a much-defined shape because of the hair sprouting outwards, but they look good if the costume is meant to show off a cuddly dragon.
LED Dragon Wings
These might offer a gaudy look with their flashy lights and all, but they are enjoyable to wear, especially with a full-body costume. These wings can have any of the materials used for making wings, but an extra feature added to them are the LEDs that can be toggled on/off to flaunt these beautiful wings. These look great during the night as they light up the area around them, making everyone turn their heads with awe.
- This is plus size wing with improved design, suitable for Height 64-70inches dancer.Size: Length: 58inches,Wing can open be 360degree,Neck- 11~16...
Mechanical Dragon Wings
These are designed with a bit of architectural engineering to create movable wings. The concept involves clipping the ends of the wings on the arms of the wearer. That way, whenever the person opens his/her arms, the wings spread with him/her, boasting the beautifully-designed extensions. The fabric used for these wings needs to be stretchable so that it closes and opens without ruining the material.
- Red Devil fantasy wings with movement
Automatic Dragon Wings
If you are a die-hard fan of these legendary beasts, you should invest in one of these masterpieces. Automatic dragon wings offer the luxury to open and close at the touch of a button, thus spreading their enchanting beauty among onlookers.
The mesmerizing designs, with LED-setups, automated parts, and intricate looks, make them one of the most expensive, yet desirable props. Choose these if you feel like you want to be admired at a costume exhibition because these are the ones that will surely take your cosplay to a whole new level.
What Are Dragon Wings Made Of?
If you go through the historical data about dragons, you will find that dragon wings were most likely made of keratin, the same material you find in fingernails, hair, bird feathers, and animal horns. Keratin is a form of sturdy and flexible protein that most likely gave these giant beasts the right tool to fly. Their flexible structure could take up the necessary shape based on a dragon’s evolution, thus letting them soar through the air with great speed and control.
How Do Dragon Wings work?
If dragons existed and were meant to fly, then as per the physics rules, their bodies would require super-strong muscles. Firstly, the wings would have to be massive in size, at least 2.5 times the dragon’s length from head to tail. These wings would also need to have a hollow skeletal structure similar to birds so that they have a decent uplift.
The wing muscles would also need to be highly flexible for complete rotary movements for better in the air. Not to mention, their bodies would have to compress close enough to form an aerodynamic shape, letting the wings do their work.
What Are Some Popular Dragons In Popular Culture?
While it has been a mystery whether dragons exist in real life, they have been quite admired in popular culture and fictional stories. Some of the most famous ones are:
- Shenron – This magical beast found in Dragon Ball Universe, is one of the most iconic dragons recognized worldwide. The beast did not have dragon wings but did possess the cosmic power to grant wishes and fly without wings.
- Smaug – This fearsome, fire-breathing dragon has been one of the central antagonists in the popular Middle-Earth of the Lord of the Rings universe. This beast was cunning, arrogant, cruel, and extremely sadistic, which makes the rest of the world fear him. While Shenron talks telepathically, Smaug is the only dragon on this list that is quite fluent in human speech.
- Toothless – Now here is a dragon that was able to garner a whole franchise around it for its cute, elegant, matt-black finish, and lightning-fast reflexes. Toothless or the Night Fury is the deuteragonist in the blockbuster movie franchise How To Train Your Dragon. Kids and adults love him, which is why it is one of the most popular cosplay characters.
- Drogon – While all three Game Of Thrones dragons look great, Drogon has to be the most fearsome and popular beasts. Viserion, Drogon’s brother that was resurrected by the Night King, is also popular for its unique icy-cold abilities that act as a worthy opponent to Drogon later in the series. However, it was Drogon that won the battle, thus making him a fan-favorite.
Ready To Buy Dragon Wings
Even though dragons are not real, or have become extinct (no one will ever know), these iconic beasts have gained a special place in our hearts. That’s why we cannot have enough of these beautiful creatures, hence making them a part of our fictional and mystical stories around the world.
The best dragon wings would be the ones that give you the desired look. Additionally, such wings will add oomph to your costume, and make you feel connected to the world of these magnificent beasts as you pose in exhibitions, parties, and other costume-based gatherings. Find the right dragon wings through our guide and enjoy cosplaying with style.