Owning a dice is one thing, and having them kept in a decent and undisturbed position is another thing. I believe every dice player has encountered this frustrating experience of dice rolling off the table while playing games. Sometimes you end up misplacing your dice right there in your homes or must reroll the dice at that peak where you are enjoying the game the most. Quite frustrating, right?
It is somehow not avoidable if you have a dice, and you do not have a tray to place your dice. Having said that, do you think owning a dice tray could be necessary? Well, trust me, it is worth every cent from your pocket. You need to consider having one if you must prevent your Dice clattering around the floor.
What Is A Dice Tray?
Table of Contents
Dice trays are like a flat piece of plastic, wood, or metal with a raised edge used for carrying, displaying, or storing dices. They come in varying lengths, shapes, and designs. Most dice tray manufacturers incorporate a unique design that can help you manage your dice neatly.
And some also have a separate space to keep extra dice that are not in use. If you have gotten a dice and it does not come with a tray efficient enough to hold your dice in place, you need to start planning on getting a dice tray. You would not want that epic moment of your dice clattering on the floor and having to step on them or totally misplacing them.
DIY Dice Tray Tutorial
Are you planning on not getting a dice tray from the market? Here is how to prepare a homemade dice tray that serves as an alternative to the ones in the market.
However, If you are interested in creating a DIY dice tray, here is a short video tutorial to guide you through the process.
Before taking the leap to get a dice tray, they are few things you need to consider. Most of this dice tray does not offer durability, and most of the features embedded in them do no hold your dice as claimed. We will be presenting a few factors to consider to help you get the best from the market.
Cost: In as much as price is concerned, this should be your last option if you need to get a dice tray. We decided to incorporate it as an option for those who need to consider the size of their pockets. Price does not determine the quality of a product, but going for products with a meager amount could be as a result of low quality.
Sizes: Dice trays come in varying shapes and sizes. The sizes can range from 5.5 inches to 12 inches. It is crucial to get a tray that is large enough to hold your dice without falling off. Most manufacturers come up with different designs that could include trays with inner and outer tray. Your inner tray is created to hold your less used dice while your outer tray is designed to keep your commonly used dice. In this case, you have enough space that can hold and as well separate your dice.
Shapes and Design: The choice of your tray form is undoubtedly a personal decision. The most common form can be in rectangle, square, octagonal, and oval. Any shape can be okay for you, but how the shape is structured should be something you need to look out for. Some trays are awkwardly shaped and design. You would need something that looks nice for your dice.
Type of Material: Among every other factor considered, this should be a top priority in your mind when purchasing a tray. At the most basic, trays can come in leather, plastic, wood, or a combination of both. Wood and vinyl seem to be the most choice because of its durable nature. You would need something durable and not something cheap.
Dice Trays: Let Us Review the Various Types
They are various types of dice tray you can find in the market today. Now let us take time to review the few popular brands that have made a hit in the market place.
D&D Inspired Dice Trays: Dungeons & Dragons is a fantasy tabletop role-playing game. They have inspired so many dice trays you can see today. Their designs are proudly inspired by a leather material practically structured to hold your dice and act as a storage box for your little personal belongings like jewelry.
- ★Perfect Material Protecting Table - Outside is made of wearable thick PU leather. Inside is wrapped with softy velvet. They effectively protect the...
- Product is for use in the Dungeons and Dragons role playing game
- Package include - come with 4 pieces hexagon dice trays in 4 different colors, including red, black, blue and violet color, a perfect gift to meet...
Wooden Dice Trays: Another form of a piece of structure for a secure and magnetic enclosure of your favorite dice. It is purely made of wood and sometimes a combination of wood and leather. It is sturdy, all-wood construction with an integrated storage compartment to hold your dice. Crafted for beauty, and you can choose from a variety of designs and colors.
- INCLUDES: One 11.75-Inch Wooden Dice Tray by FUN+1 TOYS! and (10) black and white 6 sided dice in a dice holding bag
- Dice tray with solid wood side walls
- Premium Velvet Lined Dice Rolling Tray
Critical Role Dice Trays: These set of dice trays is geared towards the Critical Role American web series. It is crafted in a hexagonal shape that looks like the Critical Role logo and is painted in white acrylic color. Wooden material is the standard material you can find in this form of dice tray.
- Product is for use in the Dungeons and Dragons role playing game
- A single polyhedral dice -100 sided, 45 mm diameter, Solid Black Color with White Numbering.
- EXCELLENT QUALITY DICE TRAY-Hand made DND dice tray purple with quality PU leather and velvet lining that stands up to heavy use daily.
Collapsible Dice Trays: The collapsible tray is the purest form of dice tray you can find today. The tray derives its name because it can be collapsed to its original shape if the leather snap is removed. It mostly uses a leather material with a leather snap to hold each angle of the dice trail.
- Faux Black Dragon Hide - Has the look and feel reminiscent of real wyrm skin. Luxurious Velvet Playing Surface - Caresses your dice and helps prevent...
- Package include - comes with 6 pieces dice tray, which contains dark red, dark blue, violet, black, dark green, coffee color, a perfect gift to meet...
- Dice Tray Material: Made of environmentally friendly PU leather, easy to clean,only need wipe gently with wet cloth to restore the bright.
Cthulhu Dice Trays: An octagonal dice tray with a lid and a raised area for placing your dices. The dice tray is designed for al tabletop games such as D&D, Call of Cthulhu, Shadowrun, Star Wars, etc. it is portable and comes with an intuitive design that fits your dice.
- 🐙 Large 8" Octagon Dice Tray with a Lid and a Raised Dice Staging Area for RPG games-Dungeons and Dragons(DND) 5TH ed Fantasydice Portable- Easy...
- TWO DICE TRAYS: Sort your dice in the outer ring and roll in the middle or use the lid as a second dice tray.
- Dice Tray - Outside dimension 10″ Inside 8″. made of Wood, Acrylic, and Stainless Steel. Designed by local Artist, the Eldritch design is laser...
Popular Brands of Dice Trays
Wyrmwood: The Wyrmwoods are known for their beautiful art of craftsmanship. They craft out impeccable designs from furniture, which also include dice trays. Their dice trays come in varying shapes and designs. The trays are sturdy, purely made from wood and comes in a rectangular shape. It features a separate area to stored dices that are not rolled frequently to free up space for often rolled dice.
Forged Dice: The Forge Dice company is in the USA. They are really committed to crafting cool dice and dice accessories. Their heavy-duty polyhedral dices are made of solid metal, and the most popular color you can find in the market is black. Also, another beauty is crafted in their dice tray. Their dice tray comes in a variety of colors and designs, and they are imprinted with the Forged Dice branded logo
- FORGED DICE CO QUALITY: The Forged Dice Co located in the United States brings you the best in D&D metal dice and accessories. Don't settle for poorly...
- VERSITILE: Includes 2 removable trays with 20 slots per tray. Each slot fits 14 loose dice or 1 standard dice storage cube. Compatible with Chessex...
- GREAT GIFT: The Forged Dice Co Mimic Dice Chest is a great Dungeons and Dragons gift for any tabletop or RPG gamer. Packaged in a beautiful Forged...
GameLand: GameLand is another top producer of various games and game accessories. They Range from your indoor, outdoor, board, and porker games. Their beautiful piece of work is also crafted in their collapsible leather dice tray—a bit of constructive work with a simple and appealing appearance. It comes in various shapes and designs with the most shapes to be square, rectangle, and octagonal. Large enough to carry your pieces of jewelry and wristwatches.
- Dimensions: Oval 35" Wide x 70" Long, Weighs 5lbs.
- Measures 32-5/8"L x 32-5/8"W (83cm x 83cm). Multispandex cloth in classic blue surface with good touch of feeling.
- Measures 32-5/8"L x 32-5/8"W (83cm x 83cm). Multispandex cloth in classic green surface with good touch of feeling.
How to Line a Dice Tray
If you have chosen to make your dice tray yourself, you would want to make it more comfortable for your dice by making some lining. Especially for those with a wooden tray, the lining does not just beautify your dice tray but also helps to prevent those cracking noises when your dice are in the tray.
However, here is the first step in lining your dice tray. First, get a lining material you feel can make your dice comfortable in your wooden tray. Most people use form board, cork, felt, or some fabric material.
Take up your lining material and measure it to the size of the inner tray. Apply glue to the surface and place your lining material on it. Make sure you spread freely to remove air bubbles. Repeat the same process for every part of the tray you want to apply lining.
How Big Should a Dice Tray Be?
Most people do not care about the size of their tray. Many people will not bother if it is serving its purpose. Well, since the dice tray comes in different designs and structures, you should be expecting different sizes from manufacturers. So here comes the bigger question, how big can a dice tray be? Even as much as people care less about the tray size, it is expected you get a dice tray that is big enough to hold all your dices in place with struggling for space. A typical dice tray should be 8-12 inches wide and 1.5 inches tall.
How Do You Fold a Dice Tray?
Folding your dice tray comes easy to do after you have purchased your collapsible tray. At the edges of a collapsible dice tray, there are leather snaps. The number of snaps could be on the four edges if it is a rectangular or square tray or more than four in the case of octagonal trays. Hold the edges of the tray together and snap to hook the edges to form the desired shape with a raised edge.
Wrapping it up
Pretty awesome to have a dice tray, right? With our critical reviews on various products and brands, we are sure you should be able to get the best dice tray from the market to roll your dice.