If you are a fan of tabletop RPGs, like Dungeons & Dragons, you surely have to deal with dice. These numbered polyhedral units have great importance in deciding the fate of a player. Not to mention, the beautiful designs these come in, which is heaven for any dice collector.
That’s why RPG players use dice bags to keep these precious components safe. The best dice bags should be sturdy, spacious with multiple compartments, manufactured using decent-quality materials, and convenient to carry (Source).
You can opt for custom dice bags with unique patterns and designs over them for a better appeal. In this post, we will learn about the top 5 cool dice bags that you can use for your board games. You will also learn every about dice bags to help you familiarize yourself with their world better.
DIY Dice Bags Tutorial
Table of Contents
- 1 DIY Dice Bags Tutorial
- 2 Buying Guide
- 3 Dice Bags: Various Colors And Styles
- 4 Can Dice Bags Be Used For Things Besides Dice?
- 5 Why Should You Use A Dice Bag?
- 6 How Many Dice Can Dice Bags Hold?
- 7 Brief History Of Dice Bags
- 8 How Much Do Dice Bags Cost?
- 9 Ready To Buy A Dice Bag?
If you like – you can try to create your D&D dice bags. You can find plenty of tutorials showing DND dice bag sewing patterns that you will adore. Check this quick tutorial, for instance.
You will need a dice bag to store your dice safely while you carry them around with you. But, you cannot just choose any pack for dice. Here are a couple of factors to consider before buying the coolest dice bags.
- Size – You can find plenty of dice bags available in several sizes nowadays. You might want to choose among large dice bags to keep your dice collection safely in the pouch.
Similarly, small dice bags will do just fine too if you do not have a lot of dice. You can consider going for a five-by-seven-inch-dice bag to store around 100 game dice in your possession.
- Material – Just like the varying sizes, you will find dice bags available in a variety of materials. There are plenty of choices lying around online for you to choose from leather dice bags to chainmail dice bags.
Most wholesale dice bags are made out of soft fabrics, which could be an option as well. However, if you are into custom dice bags, you can approach sellers on Alibaba or other sites to get fair deals on your desired requirements.
- Design – Even if you are not a diehard fan of board games and tabletop RPGs, you might still be interested in a dice bag with an excellent design. That’s why the design is important as it represents your love for a specific character, design, or some other visual image.
It also shows off your unique taste. But, make sure that the design you choose for the dice pouch is a secure one. You don’t want your dice to fall out of the bag and do not even close properly.
Dice Bags: Various Colors And Styles
Just like the dice, the bags also come in an array of colors and designs. These vary based on the theme, size, material, colors, and other design features. Here are some of the most popular dice bag designs used by RPG players worldwide.
Leather Dice Bags
Leather bags are one of the most popular and oldest types of drawstring bags used since ancient times. These bags offer compartments to hold at least six sets of dice.
- DRAGON DICE BAG- Hand made DND dice bag inspired by Game of Thrones. Made with artificial leather and drawstring. Cool vivid 3-d dragon eye design on the front.
- Handcrafted with real genuine leather, this Nabob Drawstring Pouch will provide long-term strength and use for years to come. Each pouch is furnished with a long drawstring closure, allowing you to tie a knot on the end to ensure your belongings are secured inside. Soft lining on the inside will protect your contents from scratches and other damage. Key Product Features
- COOL AND UNIQUE DRAGON DESIGN: These dnd dice sacks are made with soft faux leather and printed with dragon skin grain. Best of all is that the 3D glass cabochon eye… it sees right through you. Each RPG Bag is unique!
Many manufacturers prefer using genuine leather to build these beauties to retain the same feel and quality as in the past. Not to mention, players feel of the medieval period where leather pouches were popular, depicting the games like D&D more vividly.
Fabric Dice Bags
These come in the affordable category and are usually made of materials like velvet. They might be plain in design with a printed or sewn image or symbol over the bag. If you do not need a lot of dice sets to carry around, fabric bags for dice could be a suitable option.
- These high-quality bags work well in jewelry stores for display showrooms to enhance rings, bracelets and necklaces. Present to your guests by stuffing these luxurious black velvet draw string pouches with candy at baby showers and for other special occasions.
- SOFT AND PLUSH VELVET - The soft velvet gift bags are made of plush and stretchy velour fabric, shimmery and rich in color, upscale elegance and classic fashion, great for sending your guests home with some special gift
These are also available in a variety of colors to suit your style and sizes to suit your requirements.
Dragonscale Dice Bags
For diehard fans of DND games, dragon scale dice bags are some of the most accurate representations of the beloved fantasy world. The scales present on such bags are usually made of anodized aluminum plates to form a dragon’s scales.
These are available in various colors to provide with limitless options. Not only are these bags sturdy for carrying the dice with you, but they also show off their cool colors and designs to impress your fellow players.
Chainmail Dice Bags
Chainmail bags are quite satisfying and hefty to hold in hand. These bags appear to be heavy, but the construction is mostly aluminum, which makes it lightweight. These are also considered to be very durable.
- This metal dnd dice bag are made of 304 stainless steel. Perfect for storing fice set ready for your next game battle. (Dice Not Included)
- Material – Chainmail dnd dice bag is made of 304 stainless steel. The chain mail and scale mail is strong and smoothly articulated. (Dice Not Included)
- ►This Chainmail dice bag are made of Anodized Aluminum with a solid brass accent. . Perfect for storing fice set ready for your next game battle. (Dice Not Included)
High-quality ones even include a genuine leather-based drawstring to close the pouch securely. However, they are mostly suitable for a single set of dice because it is impossible to make compartments in these bags practically.
Custom Printed Dice Bags
If you have a custom design in mind, you can get it made into a dice bag. Custom bags are available on order placements. You will not find them in stock. These are also costlier than most readymade bags out there.
- High Quality: This stand up dice bag is constructed using thick and durable microfiber material that will resist rips and tears while offering a soft feel.
- Material: 600D Plain Oxford Cloth.
- Vibrant color: Assorted Polyhedral Dice Set has 15 different bright colors, with black, white, gold numbers, and a touch of pearl luster, it looks beautiful and delicate.
The price of these bags increases with the complexity of the design you have in mind. Several popular stores like Etsy dice bags can offer you premium dice bags.
Unique Dice Bags
Dice bags necessarily do not have to be in the same shape resembling a drawstring pouch. Many uniquely-shaped dice bags are also available nowadays. For instance, the famous Dungeons & Dragons game character Mimic can also be availed in the form of a dice bag.
- THE DICE MASTER: For the true master of RPG polyhedrals, 60 complete sets of 7 dice - each with a unique color or design. ets. Contains complete sets of all Wiz Dice Series I-III dice
- -7 DIE DND DICE SET W/ DICE BAG: 1xD20, 1xD12, 2xD10(one 00-90, one 0-9), 1xD8, 1xD6, 1xD4, 1XDice Bag
You can also find other unique characters that have been transformed into dice bags to create an awesome collection.
Can Dice Bags Be Used For Things Besides Dice?
Yes, dice bags can be used to carry other small valuables like jewelry. These bags are excellent utilities when you are traveling. You can use them as a secure purse to carry keys, coins, cash, or credit cards.
Why Should You Use A Dice Bag?
Unlike boxes, dice bags are easy to hold with the drawstring. Drawstrings have the intensity to tighten the bag more securely when pulled upon. That way, there is little chance for your dice or other valuables to fall out of the pouch.
Boxes, on the other hand, are bulky – thus, making it harder to carry around.
How Many Dice Can Dice Bags Hold?
The following table explains a dice bag’s holding capacity based on a standard dice size.
D6s or 12mm (Standard Dice)
|Size||Number of Dice|
D10s or 16mm (Standard Dice)
|Size||Number Of Dice|
D20s or 20mm (Standard Dice)
|Size||Number Of Dice|
Brief History Of Dice Bags
The exact date of the invention of a dice bag is hard to deduce. However, these bags are related to drawstring coin pouches that have been used since the year 3000 BCE. People of that time used such pouches for protecting their money.
In Ancient Greece, carrying such bags was considered a status symbol for the rich and honorable. The designs for these drawstring pouches and bags significantly changed since then. People started using such pouches for storing other valuables and small items as time passed.
Later in the 1600s, there was significant size variation in these bags, as paper currency was introduced in the Western and European world. Despite the changes in the design, their basic significance of storing coins, stones, etc., remained the same (Source).
Board games with dices have been known to exist during the Egyptian and Greek times. And, it can be a possibility that they stored dices in leather or other material-based pouches. However, it might not have been a tradition back then.
It was later in the year 1974 when RPGs like Dungeons & Dragons started becoming popular. The use of dices became even more important after that. The game requires the use of several dice types, which need to be stored safely to avoid nicks and scratches (Source).
Standard crown jewel dice bags were introduced for keeping them safe. But, manufacturers launched several bag editions for fans and collectors. That has since made dice bags achieve the identity for which RPG players are ready to invest.
How Much Do Dice Bags Cost?
Costs of dice bags can range anywhere from $2 to $80. The drastic difference in the prices is because of the use of materials, complexity in the designs, size, manufacturing brand, customizations, etc.
Some bags are made with premium materials, which make them expensive.
Ready To Buy A Dice Bag?
Carrying dice to a game night without a dice bag would not only be frustrating but embarrassing too. The best dice bags are comfortable to carry, comprise of unique designs, and work multifunctional utility bags.
Besides games, you can even use these stylish dice bags as secure purses to safe-keep your valuables. If you are confused about the right one for you, then consider our guide to find the bag that suits your style and comfort.