The Diamondback Insight 2 bike is a sequel to the Insight One. By virtue of being a sequel, it has upgraded features. Also, the brand sourced opinions and reviews from its customers before developing Insight Two.
That means the brand has incorporated most of the improvements the customers suggested. Second, the Insight line of bikes is a particular favorite among riders thanks to how effortlessly the bikes transition from trail to asphalt.
For a cyclist who desires speed but also values safety, then Vilano hybrid 3.0 road bike is an ideal solution. It combines the power of a mountain bike and a simple road bike.
Diamondback Insight 2 is a bike worth considering. To help you decide whether this bike is for you, here is an in-depth review.
Let’s Take a Look: Features of the Diamondback Insight 2
No products found.The features of a bike and how those features are of benefit is an important consideration when purchasing a bike. Below are the main features of Diamondback Insight 2.
The Insight 2 is unique in that it comes in four different sizes—16”, 18”, 20” and 22”. That means irrespective of whether you are buying this bike for your child or yourself, you will find the right fit.
The multiple sizes are a vast improvement from the Insight 1 which could only suit riders who were between 5’4” tall and 6’4” tall.
The frame on the Insight 2 is largely similar to that of the Insight 1. 6061 butted aluminum coupled with integrated alloy aero blade fork. As a result, the frame is both strong and durable.
Bear in mind that aluminum is incredibly light. Usually, aluminum bike frames are one third the weight of steel frames. With the light aluminum, the Insight 2 retains its durability and aesthetic without compromising on weight.
Also, aluminum does not rust. That ensures the bike is low-maintenance and ideal for riding in any weather. Finally, the aluminum frame is stiffer than most materials. Consequently, this Diamondback hybrid bike has less give on demanding surfaces. Note also that the stiffness facilitates stability on flat surfaces.
Sometime your bike frame might get bent accidentally. It is worth understanding how to repair a bent bike frame. Check out our step by step guide here.
Regarding the braking system, the Insight 2 is an excellent improvement from Insight 1. The bike features mechanical disc brakes. Disc brakes tend to last longer and they have superb stoppage power.
Moreover, they provide more accurate braking when riding in rough terrain. Usually, disc brakes are high-end features typically found in $2000+ bikes. However, Insight 2 manages to incorporate them while maintaining a reasonable price.
The Gear System
The Insight 2 features Easy Fire Shimano EF-51 8 speed shifter complete with 21 gears. The 21 speeds allow you to tackle different terrains effortlessly. On the other hand, the fact that it is a Shimano product makes it of high quality and incredibly responsive.
The gear system also incorporates front and rear derailleurs, a quality crankset complete with a chain guard, and sealed cartridge bottom brackets.
The derailleurs provide for a more efficient gear system; the crankset ensures the bike can accommodate varying styles of cycling and different sized riders, and the brackets facilitate ease and speed of replacement.
Rims and Wheels
The bike comes with stainless steel double-walled rims. They provide more strength and stability as you ride.
The bike’s 700cc Kenda Kwik Trax Tires make the Insight 2 ideal for both road and off-road terrain. Note that the wheels are 32 millimeters thick which means they easily cushion the rider as they tackle rough terrain.
The narrow width makes the wheels inadequate for extreme dirt trails, but they still perform exceptionally well in off-road surfaces.
Other Key Features
The bike comes with a performance hybrid saddle complete with a gel top. The seat facilitates comfort and ensures you can ride for long hours without suffering discomfort.
The bike weighs only 27 pounds. That is incredibly light for a bike that has numerous features. The lightweight is convenient, and it facilitates easy storage.
The bike comes with eyelets installed on the frame in the fork. The eyelets make it easy to add front and back fenders or rack. However, note that the rack and fenders do not come with the bike. You have to purchase those separately.
Why Should You Opt for The Diamondback Insight 2?
- Affordability — The Insight 2 incorporates multiple elements of high-end bikes while still maintaining a pocket-friendly price tag.
- Easy to carry around — Thanks to its lightweight, you can easily lift and carry it on your shoulder. If you happen to live in a storied building, this a significant benefit.
- Accommodating when it comes to size — As noted above, the bike caters to both children and adults, men and women. The different sizes facilitate a perfect fit which in turn ensures safety.
- The multipurpose nature — The Insight 2 is ideal for commuting, casual riding, and off-road riding. This versatile nature ensures you are not limited in the rides you wish to take.
- The bike’s aesthetic — The Insight 2 sleek design ensures you will always look good when riding.
- The Gel top saddle — The bike’s saddle is extremely comfortable thanks to the gel top. In addition, it is water deterrent which means that even if it is raining, the saddle will still be comfortable and you will not slip.
More Reasons Why You Should Opt For The Diamond Insight 2
- Flexibility — The Insight 2 is known for its flexibility thanks to its materials. Consequently, the bike is ideal for both novices and experienced riders. For beginners especially, the bike will gently introduce you to riding.
- Safety — Due to the solid frame, the fork, and the mechanical disc brakes, the Insight 2 is incredibly safe. That means you are assured of a smooth and safe ride irrespective of the terrain.
- Ease of Assembly — The bike comes partially assembled, and it only takes a few minutes to complete the assembly. It comes with a manual to facilitate even easier assembly if you are not familiar with bike parts.
- Effortless navigation because the bike is not bulky or cumbersome
- Durable thanks to high-quality materials from Shimano
- Resistant to chain derailing or mud splashing on chain thanks to the chain guard
- It is comfortable thanks to the ergonomic design especially the large handlebars which facilitate a natural posture
- The bike offers speed as well as an excellent stoppage power when you need to stop suddenly
- Lacks shock absorbers which can cause some discomfort
- The pedals wear out quickly, and they slip off when wet
- Steel spokes on the bike loosen with time and require frequent tightening
- The bike lacks a storage rack and a water bottle holder
Consider This Before Purchasing the Diamondback Insight 2
Before you decide to purchase the Insight 2, here are some things you ought to know about the bike.
The Disc Brakes Have to Be Broken In
The disc brakes are great, and they provide for a safer ride. However, when the bike is new, you will probably notice some shuddering and shaking. It is nothing to worry about because the shuddering will disappear after a few rides.
Just remember to be gentle with the bike for the first couple of weeks. This not only eases the bike into more demanding rides, but it also gives you time to get accustomed to the brakes.
Also, sometimes you might notice the brakes having a persistent squeaky noise. When this happens, tighten the brake pads.
Sizing is Key
It is not advisable to pick a size without consulting the sizing chart. Note that unless you choose a bike that will fit your frame best, chances are you will not enjoy your ride.
Therefore, be diligent in going over the sizing chart and asking questions where you are not sure. That way, you will end up with the best possible size.
Seat Height Is an Important Adjustment
After finding the right size, the next most important consideration is the seat height. You need to adjust the seat height until you achieve the perfect height for your frame.
Often, novice cyclists set the seat too low which not only reduces efficiency, but it can also lead to fatigue and even injury. On the other hand, a seat that is too high is uncomfortable and also dangerous.
To find the right height, start with the Diamondback bike seat touching your hip bone when standing flat-footed as your baseline. Follow this up by mounting the bike. With the pedal at six o’clock, your leg should be locked out with heel above the spindle.
Note that if your hips rock when pedaling, then you ought to lower the seat a little. Note that your knee ought to have a slight bend.
The Seat’s Comfortability
The Insight 2 has one of the most comfortable seats. However, with time and distance, it tends to become uncomfortable. When this happens, you can place some cushioning on the seat.
Diamondback Insight 2 Frequently Asked Questions
Is This a Woman’s Bike?
The insight 2 is a unisex bike although men tend to prefer it. Diamond has a Clarity line that is geared more towards women. Either way, bear in mind that the bike is ideal for both men and women.
Can This Bike Be Put On a Rack for Transport?
Yes. The aluminum frame is sturdy enough to handle a rack. Besides, the frame is butted aluminum which means it is resistant to warping.
What Do I Need to Assemble Once the Bike Arrives?
As noted earlier, the bike is partially assembled. It comes with a manual for whatever you need to do. However, the gist of it is that you need to need to attach both wheels, the pedals, the seat, and the handlebar.
Also, though the brakes and shifters are already attached, you still need to adjust and tune them. Finally, you need to inflate the tires.
Remember that it is advisable to take the bike to a local shop after assembly so that a certified mechanic can perform a safety check.
Why Does the Foot Easily Hit the Tire When Turning? Is This Normal?
If you experience this, then you need to go over your assembly instructions again. Usually, the sellers ship the bike when the fork is on backward to save on space. That means you need to turn the fork around.
Our Final Take
The quality of the Insight 2 is top-notch, and if you previously owned the Insight 1, then this is a worthy upgrade to make. If you didn’t own the Insight 1 or if this is your first bike, then rest assured you will not be disappointed.
This Diamondback hybrid bike is a bit costlier compared to the Insight 1, but it is still affordable. Additionally, the improvements made ensure you get value for your money.
If you’re looking for a commuting bike with the occasional weekend recreational riding, the best hybrid bike is a perfect answer. Hybrids are ideal for anyone needing dependable transportation yet can handle a variety of terrains.
Want to check out other quality bikes? Talk a look at the Cadent 2 and our roundup of gravel bikes!
Leave a Reply