To efficiently make a cross stitch, you need a good frame to secure the fabric. There are varieties of frames; however, a cross stitch lap stand frame proves to be one of the best frames for a cross stitch. Different brands make different varieties of lap stand, and you can also create one by yourself (DIY).
Intricate and beautiful designs do not happen by chance: they require delicacy, consistency, and time; however, when the process is done, and the artworks are revealed, they insights awe-struck reactions.
Cross stitching has been in existence for a long time. While there are quite some modern techniques, cross stitching is an old technique, but still creates some of the most beautiful designs.
What Is A Cross Stitch Lap Stand?
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is A Cross Stitch Lap Stand?
- 2 Comparing The Top 5 Picks
- 3 DIY Cross Stitch Lap Tutorial
- 4 Buying Guide
- 5 Cross Stitch Lap Stand: Reviewing Our #1 Pick
- 6 Tools Needed to Cross Stitch
- 7 Scissors
- 8 Needle Threader
- 9 Needle Minder
- 10 Thread Organizer
- 11 Thread Conditioner
- 12 Cross Stitching: A Brief History
- 13 Related Questions
- 14 Wrapping It Up
A cross stitch lap stand is a piece of equipment that fabrics are clamped on to create different techniques of stitches, including cross-stitch. The cross stitch stand can also be used for embroidery, slap stitch, running stitch, and more.
A cross stitch lap stand should give the stitcher flexibility for a complex like patterns. It should also be portable: you should be able to carry it along with you over long journeys.
Sometimes, you may be bored at work; a portable cross stitch lap stand will be a great companion. Most brands of cross stitch lap stands are usually made out of plastic, and they should be easily assembled and unassembled.
Comparing The Top 5 Picks
- Made of natural organic beech wood. Well polished wood is smooth without any roughness and harmless to your hands.
- Adjustable Embroidery Stand: The height of the embroidery stand was extended, from its original 11inch to 13.5inch, and its adjustable height ranges...
- Made of natural organic beech wood. Well polished wood is smooth without any roughness and harmless to your hands.
- 【UPGRADED EMBROIDERY FRAME STAND & 2 HOOPS】—— The set comes with 1 wood lap frame, 1 step-by-step installation instruction and 2 high-quality...
- Adjustable Hoop Stand - The two poles can be easily moved towards the middle. You are able to use different sizes of embroidery hoops within 11inch....
DIY Cross Stitch Lap Tutorial
Making your own cross stitch lap stand may seem like a simple feat (after all, a lot of people display lap stands built themselves); however, if you do not have a high level of ambidexterity, you should err on the side of purchasing one from a renowned brand. If you insist on making one yourself, here are a few tips:
- Purchase the right equipment: You may have to start with a 10-foot length PVC. Plastics can also be great.
- Clamps: make sure that the clamps fit perfectly into the PVC.
- Dimension: When you have all the materials needed to make your own do it yourself (DIY) lap stand, the next step will be to cut the materials. The materials must be cut in the right
dimensions to have a perfect fit stand.
Check out the video below to make your own first simple cross stitch lap stand.
Purchasing the right products online depends on some factors. A cross stitch lap stand is not different. Here are some tips for buying a cross stitch lap stand both online and in shops:
- Check the reviews: Whatever site you are buying your lap stand from, ensure you check customer reviews. Reviews on your cross stitch lap stand will give you an idea of how the product is and works and how the company operates. This is especially important if you want to know how the company treats its customers after a purchase is made.
- Flexible: A cross stitch lap stand should be able to produce some of the most intricate designs. For this to happen, the lap stand must give you the capacity to maneuver while making your stitches.
- Durability: A cross stitch lap stand needs to be flexible; however, it should also be durable. Warranty on the product is also an indication of the product’s durability; for example, you can ask the company’s customer support if they give a free replacement of materials during the warranty period.
- Lightweight: If you are doing your cross stitches at home, or even if you intend to sell your products, lightweight is very important. You need a cross stitch lap stand that can be used both at home and in the office (you may want to relax and do some stitching). You also need a lap stand that can easily be carried with you when you travel.
- Simplicity: While some companies will attempt to build lampstands that look too complex to imagine, simplicity is key. Cross stitching is already complex enough; you do not need any more headaches. Purchase a cross stitch lamp stand that can easily be folded, unfolded, assembled, and unassembled.
Cross Stitch Lap Stand: Reviewing Our #1 Pick
- The product is made of plastic. While PVC is great, plastics give you options for essential flexibility.
- The Morgan Product Lap Stand 7″ and 9″ give stitch makers and embroiders the option of different sizes of the pattern and different frames for the materials and needles. While the large hoop will allow for large lace placement, the small hoop will allow for more intricate embroidery.
- This product can be easily assembled and unassembled. This gives you the option to carry it along with you to work and other places.
- The plastic material makes it lightweight.
- The company provides both used and new products. The different price range allows you to be able to purchase products that are both great and affordable.
The prices of the used products have different ranges. The Morgan Products Combo 7” and 9” hoops are an effective lampstand that will help you create beautiful and professional-looking cross stitches.
Tools Needed to Cross Stitch
To achieve great designs with cross stitching, you need some essential tools. These tools include needle threader, scissors, thread organizer, needle minder, and thread conditioner. Each tool has a specific function and must be in the right condition.
Before you begin your cross stitching process, ensure that you have all the tools that you need with you (it will be counter-productive to stop now and then because you need a tool or because a tool is not in the right condition).
Cross stitching involves high precision and neat snipping. If you do not have a good pair of scissors, purchase one immediately. A cross-stitching scissors should always be small: this allows for maximum maneuverability and productivity.
- Our cross stitch kits are beginner friendly for children & adults which means no experience is necessary to start cross stitching! This is also a...
- Punch Embroidery Kits Included: Our punch needle embroidery kits includes 24 colors cross stitching thread, 10 pcs embroidery punch needles and other...
- Scrub pant with fast-dry fabric technology featuring elasticized drawstring waist, cargo pockets, and oversized front patch pockets
The pair of scissors should also be very sharp: this ensures that they can cut very little thread protrusions. Please, do not, ever, use your scissors for any non-embroidery task. You can always decorate or bedazzle your scissors with a fob. A fob, especially when studded, will give your scissors a more elegant and beautiful look.
Cross stitch needles can, sometimes, be smaller than ordinary needles. You may need a needle threader to thread your cross stitch needle. There are different options for needle threaders in the market. Pick one that fits your needs the most.
- 【30pcs + Storage Case】Our value pack comes in a new and improved storage box and includes (6 x Blue, 6 x Red, 6 x Green, 6 x Yellow, & 6 x Pink)...
- HIGH COST-PERFORMANCE COMBINATION: Packaging has 24 Pieces gourd shaped needle threaders. Enough quantity to meet your needs.
- 【19 in 1+ Storage Case】The needle threaders tool set contains 5 pcs gourd shaped needle threaders with blade, 5 pcs thumb shaped needle threaders,...
Sometimes, you may need to change a thread or use more than a needle for a cross-stitching product. A needle minder is a case that keeps all your needles in one place. A needle minder is even more important when you have kids.
You should not leave your needles on the floor: a child might get injures. It is also a bad habit to pin your needle in a chair (some people do it). If you are forgetful, you or another person may sit and get injured. A magnetic needle minder is an excellent option.
- Needle Minder Magnetic: there are two magnets, one magnet attached on the back of cat, and the other one is on the reverse side of your fabric,...
- There are two magnets, one magnet attached on the back of pins, and the other one is on the reverse side of your fabric, anchoring the needle in...
- Included: 4 Pieces Fan Needle Minders (Color Random,Different Color)
A thread organizer helps keep your thread in neat patterns. With a thread organizer and a needle minder, you will have a neat and safe workspace. You can also cut your threads to the lengths you want and loop them on the thread palate. With this, whenever you are ready to start or continue a project, your thread will be available.
- Home Storage Organizer
- Thread Tray Design: The Super Satchel Thread Box has two removable white thread trays that provide maximum storage capabilities for all leading brands...
- Hold 60 spools- This clear case could hold 60 spools of threads.
A thread conditioner or beeswax will help condition your thread. When your thread is in good condition, you can stitch better and have better results.
- Useful tool: there are 2 pieces thread beeswax with holder, good for sewing, reinforcing hand leather craft stitched thread and stabilizing thread to...
- It is formulated with olaplex bond building chemistry
- Length: about 20.5 cm/8.07 inch. Quantity: 6 pcs
A lump of the beeswax helps your thread run smoothly through the fabric, helping you achieve complicated patterns with ease.
Cross Stitching: A Brief History
Cross-stitched patterns, also called counted thread embroidery, is achieved when stitches shaped like Xs are crafted to form pictures. The process begins with counting of the thread to achieve uniform thread sizes. There are different forms of cross stitch methods, including stamped cross stitch, and uniform cross stitch.
Cross stitching and most ancient needlework can be traced to the early sixth century BC. This claim may not be thoroughly substantiated; however, enough evidence reveals that there were fabrics that were cross-stitched during the Hang Dynasty in China.
Cross stitching became popular, due to its complicated and beautiful look, so much so, that it became popular and spread to the west through the Silk Road between 618 AND 907 AD. A woman’s worth was usually tied to how much-complicated embroidery she could do. Women during the Hang Dynasty often cross-stitched on fabrics bought in open markets. Families of the women wore beautifully patterned fabrics.
Opulence and wealth were often seen in the beauty of the fabrics a family wore. Beauty strongly depended on the quality of the material used and the cross stitching style achieved.
Cross stitch has grown from century to century, and albeit an old pattern, weavers are still recognized by weavers as one of the best embroidery design patterns to have ever been created.
The best fabric for a cross stitch pattern is the Aida cloth. Another fabric that has weaves that can be used with cross-stitching includes the Jobelan. The Aida cloth has square grid-weaves and holes for needling at the sides.
Why Cross Stitch?
First, cross-stitching is royal. The patterns and pictures formed through the process always come out beautifully. While there are modern patterns, products of hand sewing, have been regarded as art. You can earn a decent living from cross-stitching. While there may not be a large market, there certainly are people who will pay the right price to have your product.
Why Do I Need a Cross Stitch Lap Stand?
The process of stitching and embroidery is delicate and can be complicated. A lap stand helps to ease the process. You will be able to create more elegant designs with a lap stand than you can if you try to cross stitch without one. The intricate process can only be achieved when you have a lap stand that will allow you to move along the fabric with flexibility and ease.
Is Cross Stitching Hard?
Yes, it is hard. If you want to learn the process, you must have a lot of determination and be diligent. While some people may be able to pick up a few lessons, here and there, from YouTube, you should save yourself some time and energy by going to a professional to learn.
Every good thing is hard, especially if they involve hand-sewing complicated patterns on delicate fabrics.
Wrapping It Up
Your career in embroidery is largely dependent on your dedication and the type of tools you use. Using an excellent cross stitch lap stand will immensely increase your productivity. Cross stitching is a time-consuming and delicate process; hence, you should buy the right tools even before you start.
There are tens of cross stitch and embroidery lap stand products in the market. Ensure you follow the guidelines on choosing the best.
Lastly, remember that great embroidery does not come only from the quality of the lap stand you purchase or make; other tools are needed to ensure that your sewing project comes out beautifully and expertly.