According to the CDC, the period breast milk may be stored depends on the storage type and temperature. Under room temperature, this milk will go bad in 6 to 8 hours.
However, with the best cooler for breast milk, such as an insulated cooler bag, breast milk may be stored for up to 24 hours without going bad. Freezing or refrigerating will make it last even longer.
Likewise, if you use pumping equipment, you need to invest in the best breast milk cooler. Currently, breast milk storage bags are commonly used to store or transport breast milk.
Nevertheless, choosing the right storage solution may prove to be a daunting task. In order to invest in the right cooler, there are several aspects that you should consider.
For instance, you need to get a product of the right capacity. Additionally, your preferred product should be effective, aesthetically appealing, and lightweight.
Here are reviews of five top-rated coolers for breast milk available today.
Best Coolers for Breast Milk 2019
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Coolers for Breast Milk 2019
- 2 1. Medela Breast Milk Cooler and Transport Set – Best Overall
- 3 2. MOJECTO Large Cooler Bag – The Best Insulated Cooler for Breast Milk
- 4 3. JL Childress 6 Bottle Cooler – Most Lightweight
- 5 4. Sarah Wells Lizzy Breast Pump Bag – Most High-End Option
- 6 5. Igloo Iceless Thermoelectric Cooler – The Best Iceless Cooler
- 7 Things You Need to Know Before Choosing a Cooler for Breast Milk
- 8 Our Final Take
|Medela Breast Milk Cooler and Transport Set|
|MOJECTO Large Cooler Bag|
|JL Childress 6 Bottle Cooler|
|Sarah Wells Lizzy Breast Pump Bag|
|Igloo Iceless Thermoelectric Cooler|
1. Medela Breast Milk Cooler and Transport Set – Best OverallThis may not be a stylish choice, but it gives you the best value for money. In this regard, it is spacious, affordable, and highly effective at storing and transporting breast milk. The set comprises of a cooler bag and four 5-oz Medela breast milk bottles.
Meanwhile, the cooler itself features a contoured ice pack, which fits perfectly around the bottles to ensure that the milk does not go bad. Additionally, it is compatible with breast milk bottles that come with Swing and Harmony breast pumps.
However, despite having such a large capacity, this cooler is compact enough to fit into a Pump in Style and Medela Freestyle breast pump bag. It can also hold food or even bottles with nipples. This makes it a versatile choice.
2. MOJECTO Large Cooler Bag – The Best Insulated Cooler for Breast MilkIf you are looking for a trendy, durable, affordable, and spacious cooler for breast milk, consider buying the MOJECTO Large Cooler Bag. To begin with, this product is made of heavy-duty and high-quality tear-resistant and fade proof 840D polyester.
On the inside, the bag features thick, high-density insulation and two replaceable heat-sealed peva liners. Additionally, it has tough stitching and strong zippers. Moreover, an extra liner is also part of the package in case one is damaged.
Meanwhile, with regards to construction, the bag comprises of a zippered, insulated mesh pocket on the top part. Likewise, the larger bottom compartment of the bag is insulated on all sides with a heat-sealed peva liner and thick foam.
3. JL Childress 6 Bottle Cooler – Most LightweightIf you are looking for a compact and lightweight cooler for breast milk that you can easily carry along with you, pick the JL Childress 6 Bottle Cooler. Though compact in design, the bag is spacious enough to accommodate six bottles of breast milk and a small or manual pump.
The leak-proof tote comprises of two insulated and zippered compartments. The bottom compartment of the bag can accommodate up to six standard-sized breast milk bottles.
Meanwhile, the top compartment is large enough to fit about three food jars, bibs, and some utensils. Consequently, to make the bag easier to clean, the inner lining of the bottom compartment pulls upwards.
This product has been proven to keep food and breast milk cool for up to 8 hours. Additionally, it comes with a reusable ice pack.
4. Sarah Wells Lizzy Breast Pump Bag – Most High-End OptionIThe Sarah Wells Lizzy Breast Pump Bag is one of the best in the industry today with regards to styling and aesthetics if you don’t mind the price. Basically, the product is availed in multiple prints and styles for you to choose from.
Moreover, portability is another reason mothers across the world love this cooler. Additionally, the product only weighs less than two pounds and has an adjustable carry strap. Hence, it is very customizable.
5. Igloo Iceless Thermoelectric Cooler – The Best Iceless CoolerEnjoy the convenience of iceless cooling for your breast milk with the Igloo Thermoelectric Cooler. Since the product does not rely on ice packs to keep the milk or food cool, it is best suited for longer storage or transportation needs. In its functioning, the product is designed to cool the food or breastmilk to 36 degrees Fahrenheit below the surrounding temperature.
In detail, the product plugs into the 12V DC outlet in cars and uses thermoelectric technology to keep perishables cool for a longer period. Hence, the cooling effect it offers may be attributed to its convection cooling and brushless motor.
Things You Need to Know Before Choosing a Cooler for Breast Milk
As you are aware, breast milk is very important for your baby, especially for the first six months. Breast milk is the best food you can give your baby.
However, there are just times when you cannot be there to feed the child. Hence, to ensure that their babies have breast milk whenever they need it, a considerable number of mothers today are using breast pumps.
Notably, the problem is not getting the milk out of your breasts, but rather storing it. Many mothers today can attest to the fact that storing breast milk can be challenging.
To ensure that the milk does not go bad before the baby takes it, you need to invest in the best breast milk cooler. So, how do you ensure that you have purchased nothing but the best cooler for breast milk?
Here are some things to consider:
1. The Capacity
How much breast milk can the cooler hold? This will mainly depend on how much the baby will need during the period you will be away or are unable to breastfeed.
Depending on the amount of breast milk you would like to store, it is advisable to choose a product that is large enough.
However, a product that is too large may not be necessary. Storing too much breast milk, unless you intend to feed more than one baby, is not advisable. Eventually, the excess milk will go bad and need to be discarded. Therefore, you should ensure that your preferred breast milk cooler is of the right capacity.
If you are looking for a cooler that you can use for traveling purposes, you need to get a design that is travel-friendly. In this regard, it is advisable to go for a product that is lightweight.
If a nanny is to travel easily with the baby and a cooler, the cooler needs to be easy to carry around; the baby is already heavy enough. Most breast pumps are known to be somewhat heavy. This being the case, you should not get a cooling bag that is heavy.
The best breast milk coolers in the market today take different shapes and forms. While this is the case, pick one that is both functional and appealing. However, you should not sacrifice the effectiveness of the product for beauty.
On the other hand, you do not want to have a cooler bag that screams to other people that you are carrying pumping equipment. Hence, something that makes the equipment inconspicuous would be good.
Lastly, the choice of breast milk cooler bag design and color will depend on your personal preferences and how much you are willing to spend.
4. Effectiveness and Functionality
Is the cooler bag exclusively meant for carrying pumping equipment or may it be used for other applications as well? With regards to enhanced versatility, it is advisable to get a breast milk cooler bag that may be used for other purposes.
This means purposes other than just storing the pumping equipment. For instance, a cooler bag that may also be used as a beach bag is more versatile.
Our Final Take
Breast milk pumping is a common practice among working mothers today. If you are looking forward to storing your breast milk properly for your baby, you need to buy the right cooler.
While there are numerous breast milk coolers in the market, not all of them are best suited for your application. Now, regardless of your specific cooling needs, this guide will help you choose the best cooler for breast milk.