According to the CDC, the period breast milk may be stored depends on the storage type and temperature. Under room temperature, this milk will go bad in 6 to 8 hours.
With the best cooler for breast milk, such as an insulated cooler bag, breast milk may be stored for up to 24 hours without going bad. Freezing or refrigerating the make will make it last even longer.
If you use pumping equipment, you also need to invest in the best breast milk cooler. Currently, breast milk storage bags are commonly used to store or transport breast milk.
However, choosing the right storage solution may prove to be a daunting task. In order to invest in the right cooler, there are several aspects that you should consider.
For instance, you need to get a product of the right capacity. Additionally, your preferred product should be effective, aesthetically appealing and lightweight.
To make this choice even easier for you, here are reviews of five top rated coolers for breast milk available today.
Best Coolers for Breast Milk 2019
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Coolers for Breast Milk 2019
- 2 1. Medela Breast Milk Cooler and Transport Set – Best Overall
- 3 2. MOJECTO Large Cooler Bag – The Best Insulated Cooler for Breast Milk
- 4 3. JL Childress 6 Bottle Cooler – Most Lightweight
- 5 4. Sarah Wells Lizzy Breast Pump Bag – Most High-End Option
- 6 5. Igloo Iceless Thermoelectric Cooler – The Best Iceless Cooler
- 7 Things You Need to Know Before Choosing a Cooler for Breast Milk
- 8 Final Verdict
|Medela Breast Milk Cooler and Transport Set|
|MOJECTO Large Cooler Bag|
|JL Childress 6 Bottle Cooler|
|Sarah Wells Lizzy Breast Pump Bag|
|Igloo Iceless Thermoelectric Cooler|
1. Medela Breast Milk Cooler and Transport Set – Best OverallThis may not be a stylish choice, but is a product that is designed to offer you the best value for money. In this regard, the cooler is spacious, affordable and highly effective at storing and transporting breast milk. The set comprises of a cooler bag and 5 Oz Medela breast milk bottles.
The various components of this product are designed to keep the milk during storage and while on the go. Additionally, the product features a contoured ice pack. The ice pack fits perfectly around the bottles to ensure that the milk does not go bad during storage or transportation. You will also find the product to be compatible with breast milk bottles that come with Swing and Harmony breastpumps.
In total, the container can accommodate up to four 5 Oz bottles. Despite having such a large capacity, the product is compact enough to fit into a Pump in Style and Medela Freestyle breast pump bag. When not using the container to store or transport breast milk, you may also use it to hold food or even bottles with nipples. This makes it a versatile choice.
2. MOJECTO Large Cooler Bag – The Best Insulated Cooler for Breast MilkIf you are looking for a trendy, durable, affordable and spacious cooler for breast milk, you should consider buying the MOJECTO Large Cooler Bag. To begin with, this product is made of heavy-duty and high quality materials for enhanced durability. In this regard, the bag is made of tear-resistant, fade proof 840D polyester.
On the inside, the bag features a thick, high-density insulation and two thick, replaceable heat sealed peva liners. You will also love the tough stitching as well as the strong double zippers used on the bag. The product comes with an extra liner in case one is damaged. In this regard, you will find it relatively easy to replace the damaged liner with the spare one.
With regards to construction, the bag comprises of a zippered, insulated mesh pocket on the top part. The larger bottom compartment of the bag is insulated on all sides. Insulation on the bottom compartment comprises of a heat-sealed peva liner and thick foam. This insulation has been proven to offer a lasting cooling effect on breast milk, food and drinks.
3. JL Childress 6 Bottle Cooler – Most LightweightIf you are looking for a compact and lightweight cooler for breast milk that you can easily carry along with you, you should get the JL Childress 6 Bottle Cooler. Additionally, the product is packed with an array of convenience and performance features. Though compact in design, the bag is spacious enough to accommodate 6 bottles of breast milk.
Even with the 6 bottles packed into the bag, the product will still have some space left for a small or manual pump. You will also like the fact that it comes with a reusable ice pack. The leak-proof tote comprises of two insulated and zippered compartments. The bottom compartment of the bag can accommodate up to 6 standard-sized breast milk bottles.
The top compartment is large enough to fit about 3 food jars, bibs and some utensils. To make the bag easier to clean, the inner lining of the bottom compartment pulls upwards. The product has been proven to keep food and breast milk cool for up to 8 hours.
4. Sarah Wells Lizzy Breast Pump Bag – Most High-End OptionIf you do not mind spending a few more dollars on a breast milk cooler, you should get the Sarah Wells Lizzy Breast Pump Bag. This cooler bag is one of the best in the industry today, with regards to styling and aesthetics. Basically, the product is availed in multiple prints and styles for you to choose from.
Portability is another reason mothers across the world love this product. In this regard, the product weighs less than two pounds and has an adjustable carry strap. You will find this bag very customizable, allowing you to easily conform it from a cross-body style to a shoulder bag or the other way round.
5. Igloo Iceless Thermoelectric Cooler – The Best Iceless CoolerEnjoy the convenience of iceless cooling for your breast milk with the Igloo Thermoelectric Cooler. Since the product does not rely on ice packs to keep the milk or food cool, it is best suited for longer storage or transportation needs. In its functioning, the product is designed to cool the food or breastmilk to 36 degrees Fahrenheit below the surrounding temperature.
The product plugs into the 12V DC outlet in cars and uses thermoelectric technology to keep food and drinks cool for a longer period. The cooling effect offered by the product may be attributed to its convection cooling and brushless motor.
Things You Need to Know Before Choosing a Cooler for Breast Milk
As you are aware, breast milk is very important for your baby, at least for the first six months. Breast milk is the best food you can give your baby for the first few months of his or her life.
However, there are just times when you cannot be there to breast feed the baby. To ensure that their babies have breast milk whenever they need it, a considerable number of mothers today are using breast pumps.
However, the problem is not getting the milk out of your breasts, but rather storing it. Many mothers today can attest to the fact that storing breast milk can be challenging.
To ensure that the milk does not go bad before the baby takes it, you need to invest in the best breast milk cooler. So, how do you ensure that you have purchased nothing, but the best cooler for breast milk?
If you are shopping for one, here are some of the things you should consider:
1. The Capacity
How much breast milk can the cooler hold? This will mainly depend on how much the baby will need during the period you will be away or are unable to breastfeed him or her.
Depending on the amount of breast milk you would like to store, it is advisable to choose a product that is large enough. With a large capacity breast milk cooler, you can store more milk to ensure that the baby has enough.
However, a product that is too large may not be necessary. Most of the best coolers for breast milk available today can only store milk for a day or two at most. Storing too much breast milk, unless you intend to feed more than one baby, is not advisable.
Eventually, the excess milk will go bad and need to be discarded. Therefore, you should ensure that your preferred breast milk cooler is of the right capacity.
If you are looking for a cooler that you can use for travelling purposes, you need to get a design that is travel-friendly. In this regard, it is advisable to go for a product that is lightweight.
If a nanny is to travel easily with the baby and a cooler, the cooler needs to be easy to carry around. The baby is already heavy enough for you. As such, you do not need a product that is bulky and cumbersome to carry along with the baby.
Most breast pumps are known to be somewhat heavy. This being the case, you should not get a cooling bag that is heavy. If anything, the bag should make the pumping equipment easier and lighter to carry along with you.
The best breast milk coolers in the market today take different shapes and forms. While this is the case, you should get one that is both functional and appealing aesthetically appealing.
However, you should not sacrifice effectiveness of the product for beauty. Basically, you do not want to have a cooler bag that screams to other people that you are carrying pumping equipment, right?
You need to buy a product that makes the equipment inconspicuous and is stylish. All in all, the choice of breast milk cooler bag design and color will depend on your personal preferences and the much you are willing to spend.
4. Effectiveness and Functionality
Is the cooler bag exclusively meant for carrying pumping equipment or it may be used for other applications as well? With regards to enhanced versatility, it is advisable to get a breast milk cooler bag that may be used for other purposes.
This means purposes other than just storing the pumping equipment. For instance, a cooler bag that may also be used as a beach bag is more versatile.
Breast milk pumping is a common practice among working mothers in the country today. If you are looking forward to storing your breast milk properly for your baby, you need to buy the right cooler.
While there are numerous breast milk coolers in the market today, not all of them are best suited for your application.
Regardless of your specific cooling needs, this guide will help you choose the best cooler for breast milk.