An attic is an awkwardly shaped space above the floors of a house and below the pitched roof of a building.
It is also known as a loft, garret, or sky parlor. Most times the attic can be converted into an office, storage space or a bedroom; that is if you can reach it.
To achieve that you will need to put a strong attic ladder in place which will make going in and out of your attic safer, easier and faster.
A very good attic ladder should be strong enough to carry at least above 200 pounds of weight (Source).
Alternatively, it should be able to carry the weight of the heaviest person who would be using it.
A quality attic ladder should be made of quality material, be easy to tuck away when not in use, balanced and sturdy.
Below is a compilation of the best attic ladders available based on a lot of factors including their ease of use and style.
Best Compact Attic Ladders 2018
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Compact Attic Ladders 2018
- 2 1. Louisville Ladder AA229GS Elite Aluminum Attic Ladder – Best Overall
- 3 2. FAKRO LST 66875 Insulated Steel Scissor – Best Ladder for Energy Consumption
- 4 3. Louisville Ladder L224P 250-Pound Duty Rating – Best for Tight Attic Compartments
- 5 4. Finether 15.4ft Multi-Purpose Aluminum Folding Extension Ladder with Safety Locking Hinges – Most Heavy-Duty Attic Ladder
- 6 5. WERNER LADDER AA1510CA Al Attic Ladder, 7′ – 9’10” – Easiest to Install
- 7 Things You Must Know Before Buying a Compact Attic Ladder
- 8 Our Final Review
|Louisville Ladder AA229GS Elite Aluminum Attic Ladder|
|FAKRO LST 66875 Insulated Steel Scissor Attic Ladder|
|Louisville Ladder L224P 250-Pound Duty Rating Wooden Attic Ladder|
|Finether 15.4ft Heavy Duty Multi Purpose Aluminum Folding Extension Ladder|
|WERNER LADDER AA1510 Ladder Aluminum Attic|
1. Louisville Ladder AA229GS Elite Aluminum Attic Ladder – Best OverallWhen the manufacturers of this compact attic ladder where building it, they focused on making it heavy duty. This product has a whopping 350 pounds capacity. It is made of aluminum and plywood shims.
It comes with its own insulated door and EZ hang strap in its installation kit. If you would be using the services of a handyman or installing this yourself it has a complete instructions manual included making it easy and straightforward.
It has a lot of user-friendly features. One of which is its use of hydraulic gas cylinders instead of the traditional spring mechanisms that slams attic doors shut, so it opens and closes easily with very little effort.
While using some ladders it is easy to fall off when carrying wide boxes up or down its stairs but, the Louisville AA229GS ladder solves this problem with its use of 3 by ¼ inch deep steep steps. These steps also help increase its stability and balance.
2. FAKRO LST 66875 Insulated Steel Scissor – Best Ladder for Energy ConsumptionThe FAKRO LST 66875, if you are conscious of your energy consumption this brand actually helps you reduce it by preventing heat leaks with its insulated wooden door frame. It has a very trending look and style.
Its sides are made into ‘S’ shaped strings which also double as a protective handrail for use as support while climbing up or down. Its body is a beautiful scissors design which gives it an eye-catching look.
Built to carry weights of no more than 300 pounds this ladder comes pre-installed with thick rubber gaskets between its boards. It is really simple to install and easily adjustable to fit into ceilings of heights between 7 feet 2 inches and 9 feet 6 inches. Consumes very little space because of its small ladder dimensions and its foldable system.
Special embossed patterns are designed on its step surface to prevent accidental foot slipping. It has a unique system built into its hatch which ensures that the ladder opens slowly, then holds its self in position to prevent slamming when closing.
Another beautiful feature that this design offers is that you can easily add or detach a step from it or into it as you please. To get an extra step either one, two or any amount of your choosing you need only contact the company. Because Farko believes so much in their product they added a two-year limited warranty.
3. Louisville Ladder L224P 250-Pound Duty Rating – Best for Tight Attic CompartmentsA fine and well built 10 feet and approximately 70 inches wood attic ladder. Maximum load limit is 250 pounds, which includes you the user and whatever you carry along while climbing. Each of its steps is grooved to give maximum foot traction and has embedded wire rods for extra strength.
It comes with EZ hang straps which allow quick and simple installation. The Louisville attic ladder is foldable which makes it great for tight attic compartments where you need to save space and it also has heavy duty hinges which help it unfold quietly.
This product also meets the safety standards set by ANSI. Weighing all the features this compact attic ladder comes with it makes it perfect for easy and unobstructed access.
It comes with an ergonomic T- Handle which you only need to tug on to give you a secure grip for effortless opening and balance for easy climbing. Simple to follow instructions included to direct you in its installation and proper fitting dimensions.
4. Finether 15.4ft Multi-Purpose Aluminum Folding Extension Ladder with Safety Locking Hinges – Most Heavy-Duty Attic LadderWhen the topic of nonpermanent attic ladders is brought up, this ladder is most spoken well of. What makes this product stand out is the fact that it is multi-purpose, which is a huge plus but, you would have to worry about where it should be kept when not in use.
Comes in 2 styles. It can be fully extended to a length of 470 cm / 15.4 feet. When it needs to be kept you can fold it to a length of 123 cm / 4 feet, which makes this foldable extension ladder very easy to carry and store.
Since it is a multipurpose ladder it is used for a wide range of activities, either as an attic ladder, single ladder, double sided ladder, a work scaffold or platform etc. It has strong safety locking hinges and panels for extra added protection. It is made of rust-proof aluminum alloy but weighs only 26.9 pounds / 12.2 kg.
Apart from using it in your attic, you can also use it in your library, for painting, window washing, decorating etc. It has a rung to rung distance or 11 inches with a total number of 16 rungs. Which means it is steep enough for good balance.
5. WERNER LADDER AA1510CA Al Attic Ladder, 7′ – 9’10” – Easiest to InstallIn the world of attic ladders this product has a leading edge. During a demonstration, we found it to be extremely easy to install. Thanks to its size it can be easily fixed into all small openings such as closets, hallways, untapped storage areas, and tight spaces.
It has 15” wide frames and 11” rungs which provides enough room for your feet to balance. It is very lightweight which is due to its simple design. It has a pole grip on it which makes it easy for you to open and close when not in use.
The bulk of its material is made of aluminum, so you might not like it if you need something made of wood. It has a 250-pound load capacity which means your weight and whatever you are carrying cannot weigh more than 250 pounds when you climb it.
It is advisable though to try not to reach its maximum capacity. Included with the ladder is the hardware for the attic door but the door itself is not included, so you would need to make a fitting one for your attic.
Things You Must Know Before Buying a Compact Attic Ladder
If you are yet to explore your attic it means you have an undiscovered, very useful space in your home lying idle. If you have decided to bring it to use then you would need an attic ladder.
Now before going to get an attic ladder, there are some things you should know as not all types fit all attics.
Usually, most compact attic ladders come pre-assembled with manuals for installation, so you should be able to fix it yourself easily but it is advisable to get extra help.
Some ladders actually mention in their manuals that you need two people for installation.
You would have to note the distance between your attic opening and the floor. Since the attic ladder would need to perch on a side of the attic opening and balance its foot on the floor, the length should be a good fit.
Not too short and not unnecessarily long. Next is to put to paper the measurements of its framing. Some ladders come with their doors you might have to make the attic opening a bit wider so it fits if it doesn’t already. Hopefully, with careful measurements and planning, it isn’t too small.
It is assumed that you already have a particular cut or hole in your attic to fit for an attic ladder. This hole should have a door, it is to this door and the cutout hole that the attic ladder is affixed. Not all attic ladders come with their doors, so when buying an attic ladder make sure it has its own door except you can get one for it.
This is quite straightforward and just depends on your choice. You can pick either metal steel aluminum or just simple good old wood.
Precaution cannot be overemphasized. First of all, if you do not have extra help and you are not a fan of DIY it is better to get help in fixing your attic ladder. And not a lot of people remember this but any handy work that would require you to look up at it while working demands that you put on your safety workshop spectacles, not sunglasses.
Now climbing up and down the ladder requires a bit of stealth, so if this attic ladder is to be used by kids or elderly people it is better to get the one with safety handrails for added support.
Our Final Review
There you have it; you have just covered the A to Z of the best compact attic ladders. Now you can without a doubt pick the one that is perfect for you and your attic. Top of the list is a tie between the Louisville Ladder AA229GS Elite Aluminum Attic Ladder and the FAKRO LST 66875 Insulated Steel Scissor Attic Ladder.
This is based on their ease of use, fitting, installation, and capacity. But, if you do not want a permanent attic ladder and would just avoid the installation aspect then your best choice would be the Finether 15.4ft Heavy Duty Folding Extension Ladder.
Perhaps for some reason, you would rather wood than anything metal, then the one for you is the Louisville Ladder L224P Ladder. All these picks have above average customer rating and very good customer care assistance. Now it is left to you to make your choice.