Would you like to repair or service your car at home? Well, raising it a few inches above the ground will make it easier for you.
Rather than investing in expensive lifting equipment, such as a garage lift, consider buying a car ramp. With so many products to choose from, it is not easy for car owners to buy the right auto ramps (Source).
Since you are shopping for the best product in the industry, there are several aspects that you have to consider while shopping for ramps. To begin with, your preferred ramps have to be of high quality.
Again, you need to ensure that the ramps are wide enough to accommodate the tires on your car.
For the purpose of safety, you have to ensure that you have bought ramps of the right weight capacity. Finally, the ramps should be suited for the ground clearance on your car.
Comparing The Best Car Ramps
Table of Contents
- 1 Comparing The Best Car Ramps
- 2 1. Rhino Gear 11909 ABMI Car Ramp – Best Overall
- 3 2. Camco Yellow Drive On Tri-Leveler – Best For Leveling Trailers
- 4 3. RhinoGear 11912ABMI MAX Vehicle Ramp – Best Ramps for Trucks & SUVs
- 5 4. Race Ramps RR-56-2 – The Best 56-Inch Ramps
- 6 5. Scepter 08226 Plastic Automotive Ramp Set – Best for Snow & Wet Conditions
- 7 6. Race Ramps RR-40 Pack of 2 Car Ramps – The Best Ramps for Sports Cars
- 8 7. Nicky Nice Solid Steel Auto Ramp Set – The Best Steel Car Ramps
- 9 8. Discount Ramps 6009-V2 – The Best Mini Car Ramps
- 10 9. Magnum 1002-01 Automotive Ramp System – Best For High Profile Vehicles
- 11 10. Rage Powersports ML-1066 – Best High-End Car Ramps
- 12 Things You Must Know Before Buying a Car Ramp
- 12.1 Weight Capacity
- 12.2 Ground Clearance of the Car
- 12.3 Ramp Width
- 12.4 Nature of the Surfaces
- 12.5 Are Car Ramps Safe for Oil Changes?
- 12.6 Are Jack Stands or Car Ramps Safer?
- 12.7 How Steep Should My Ramps Be?
- 12.8 How Do I Know the Capacity I Require On a Ramp?
- 12.9 How to Correctly Use a Ramp
- 13 Ready To Buy The Best Car Ramp?
|Rhino Gear 11909 ABMI Car Ramp|
|Camco Yellow Drive On Tri-Leveler|
|Race Ramps RR-56-2|
|Scepter 08226 Plastic Automotive Ramp Set|
|Race Ramps RR-40|
|Nicky Nice Solid Steel Auto Ramp Set|
|Discount Ramps 6009-V2|
|Magnum 1002-01 Automotive Ramp System|
|Rage Powersports ML-1066 Car Ramps|
1. Rhino Gear 11909 ABMI Car Ramp – Best OverallTalk of built quality and versatility and any expert will tell you that the RhinoGear 11909 ABMI vehicle ramp is among the best today. This is one of the strongest and sturdy ramps today, with a weight capacity rating of 12,000 lbs Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW). The product is specifically designed to offer unmatched stability in almost all ground surfaces.
You will also love the fact that the product is relatively affordable. This may be attributed to its plastic construction. However, it is very strong and features CoreTRac non slip base to prevent the car from slipping while you are loading it.
The product features a functional rugged construction. As such, it is suitable for almost all tires. Again, this product is ideal for the low-profile as well as for vehicles with a high clearance.
2. Camco Yellow Drive On Tri-Leveler – Best For Leveling TrailersThe Camco Yellow Drive-on Tri-leveler is a durable, non-slip and lightweight ramp that may be used to raise vehicles to three different heights. In this regard, you can raise your car to 3, 7 or 8 inches, depending on the clearance you need. The product is made of a durable resin that can safely bear up to 3,500 pounds.
To ensure that the tires remain in place, this product features a non-slip surface. The resin construction of the product makes it lightweight. As such, it is easy to carry around when you are not using it. The built quality and durability of the unit is backed by a 1-year limited warranty by the manufacturer.
3. RhinoGear 11912ABMI MAX Vehicle Ramp – Best Ramps for Trucks & SUVsRhinoGear is renowned for producing some of the toughest, lightweight and durable floor ramps today. If you are looking for a product by a reputable manufacturer, you should consider buying the RhinoGear 11912 ABMI vehicle ramp. This product is rated the best by most of the experts in the industry for a reason.
One of the aspects that make this unit stand out is its built quality. Although it is made of a structural foam plastic, the product features the patented polymer internal support system by the manufacturer. This, coupled with its wide stance, enhance weight distribution and weight capacity of the ramps. The 17 degrees angle of inclination makes this unit suitable for low-profile cars.
4. Race Ramps RR-56-2 – The Best 56-Inch RampsThis may not be the strongest auto ramp, but is one of the best for small to medium-sized cars. In this regard, the unit features a sturdy construction and can safely take up to 6,000 pounds. This may be attributed to its 100 percent solid core construction. While it is a strong product, it is lightweight and easy to carry around.
With regards to ground clearance, the Race Ramps RR-56-2 has a reduced angle of approach, of 10.8-degrees. This makes it ideal for cars with a relatively low ground clearance, such as sports cars.
5. Scepter 08226 Plastic Automotive Ramp Set – Best for Snow & Wet ConditionsThe Scepter 08226 Plastic Automotive Ramps is another product you will find great for small and medium-sized cars. Owing to its solid and tough construction, this product can safely lift up to 12000 pounds. The design of this unit features a parabolic arch that runs through its centre. This arch is meant to enhance the strength and weight distribution of its base.
You will not experience any slippage while loading your car onto these ramps, thanks to the grids. The product features a rather smooth angle of inclination, which makes it suitable for low profile cars. These ramps may be used to increase the ground clearance by up to 6 inches.
6. Race Ramps RR-40 Pack of 2 Car Ramps – The Best Ramps for Sports CarsAre you looking for a car ramp that is rather sleek and simple? Well, few options can beat the Race Ramps RR-40 auto ramps today. Having been designed for sports enthusiasts, this product features a smooth angle of inclination. This makes it friendly to low profile sports cars.
Again, these ramps can be used for tires as wide as 8 inches and will lift your car up to 7 inches high. Though solid and sturdy in construction, this product is relatively lightweight, weighing 8.49 pounds.
7. Nicky Nice Solid Steel Auto Ramp Set – The Best Steel Car RampsWhether it is for routine maintenance, repair or just an oil change, the Nicky Nice Solid Steel car ramp will give you the additional clearance you need. The package includes two heavy-gauge steel ramps that are stamped. Each of the ramps can take up to 3,000 pound. Therefore, the two of them can safely lift a gross vehicle weight of 6,500 pounds.
While most of the ramps available today are meant of resin or plastic, these Nicky Nice units are made of solid steel. As you can imagine, this makes them tougher and more durable. To curb corrosion as well as wear and tear on these units, their surfaces are powder coated. The two ramp pieces feature extruded traction holes on their surfaces to improve traction.
8. Discount Ramps 6009-V2 – The Best Mini Car RampsAre you looking for a small increase in ground clearance for your low-profile car? Discount Ramps 6009-V2 Car Service Ramps have the solution for your problem. Although these ramps do not offer much lift for your car, they will raise it about 2.5 inches above the ground. This should be enough for you to get beneath the vehicle, right?
If your car has a low ground clearance, do not struggle positioning a hydraulic jack beneath it to increase the clearance. Instead, you should use these mini auto ramps to save time and effort. Since the unit is meant for the low profile cars, it features a smooth angle of inclination, of 9.05 degrees.
9. Magnum 1002-01 Automotive Ramp System – Best For High Profile VehiclesMagnum is one of the leading manufacturers of car parts and accessories today. Being an American brand, you can rest assured that their products are of the right quality. In this regard, the Magnum 1002-01 auto ramp system is among the best products in the industry today. To begin with, the unit can safely support cars as heavy as 16,000 pounds.
The product is best suited for car owners who have a limited storage space or are looking for a portable solution. The product comes in 4 detachable units that are relatively easy to join and detach. As such, you can easily dismantle the product for easy storage. The lightweight design of this ramp system makes it very portable as well.
10. Rage Powersports ML-1066 – Best High-End Car RampsIf portability and storage space are not your concerns, you should consider buying the Range Powersports ML-1066 Car ramps today. The product is meant for low profile, sports cars. As such, it features a gentle angle of inclination, of 11.5-degrees and is relatively long. This makes it bulky and rather heavy.
However, it is a sturdy all-aluminum product that will raise your low profile car 7 inches higher. You will also love the fact that this ramp can accommodate tires as wide as 16 inches. Each of the ramps is designed to bear 3000 pounds, hence not ideal for trucks and SUVs.
Things You Must Know Before Buying a Car Ramp
Whether it is for maintenance or a simple oil change, you need to use good car ramps. Why you need quality car ramps, you may be wondering. Whenever you are going beneath a car that is standing on a ramp, you are entrusting your life to the ramps.
If for any reason the ramps malfunctions, the car will end up crushing you. This being the case, you need to take your time and ensure that you only buy the best car ramps you money can buy.
So, what should you look for while shopping for the best ramps for your car?
You may think of the weight capacity of any car ramps as the maximum weight the ramp can safely support. While shopping for the right ramp for your car, this is one of the most important things that you have to consider.
Although the manufacturers specify this on their products, the choice may not be that easy. This is because some ramps show the single axis rating instead of the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW).
In such a case, you need to know the weight of each of the axis on your car before choosing the right ramp. In most cases, the front axis is heavier than the rear axis because of the positioning of the engine in front of the car.
Regardless of the rating used on your preferred car ramp, you must never exceed its weight capacity. Exceeding this capacity will not only damage your ramp; it is very risky for the person working beneath the car.
Ground Clearance of the Car
How high is the underside of your car above the ground? You do not want to buy a ramp only to realize that it cannot fit beneath the car without scratching the front bumper, right? Therefore, you should also consider the ground clearance of your car. If you own a low profile car, it is advisable to buy low profile ramps.
The ramps meant for low profile cars are generally longer and feature gradual inclines. This allows the car to gradually drive onto them without damaging or scratching its undercarriage. The ramps designed for high profile cars are relatively shorter and tend to have steeper inclines.
When choosing the right pair for your car, you also need to consider the width of the ramps, in relation to tire width. This will give you an idea of the much room for error you will have while driving the car up the ramps. To determine the right ramp width, you need to measure the width of tires on your vehicle physically.
With that in mind, your preferred ramps should be wide enough to accommodate the tires, leaving a few inches on either side of the tires. For instance, you should get ramps with a width of about 12” for standard P215 tires (with a width of 8.46”). This goes a long way in reducing slippage when you are loading the car on your ramps.
Nature of the Surfaces
Basically, the surface of your preferred ramps should offer enough traction for the car to drive up under any conditions. As you can imagine, a smooth surface will encourage slippage, even if the ramps have a low incline. If you do not know the type of surface to go for, here are some that you should consider:
- EZ Traction Surface
EZ traction ramp surfaces feature punched plates for enhanced traction. If you are going to be using the ramps on snowy or wet conditions, this is the type of surface you should go for. The staggered serrated holes punched on the surface of such ramps offer optimal traction for your car, regardless of the angle of inclination.
Are Car Ramps Safe for Oil Changes?
Yes, they are safe. However, bear in mind that when using a ramp, your vehicle is not level because you can only use ramps at one axle.
As a result, it is not advisable to use ramps to change fluids because the car’s tipping angle can prevent fluids from draining completely.
Are Jack Stands or Car Ramps Safer?
It depends on who you ask. There are those who insist that jack stands are safer than ramps and there are those who swear by car ramps. Ultimately, it is up to you. To help make that decision, here is a list of the merits and demerits of each.
Benefits of Car Ramps
- They are incredibly easy to use. All you have to do is place them appropriately, drive your car up the incline and pop the parking brake on.
- Ramps are forgiving when it comes to errors because they provide a large surface area for support by adding traction to the ground and by supporting the wheels of the vehicle itself.
- They are stable.
- Ramps can slide if positioned on a surface that does not offer enough traction.
- Might not work in cramped quarters because of the space needed to move the car forward and backward.
Benefits of Jack Stands
- There is no vehicle movement required.
- Offer better mobility such as allowing you to change wheels when the car is aloft. Mobility is essential because it will enable you to work on things like breaks. Note that ramps cannot allow you to work on breaks.
- Have a small margin of error because they require precision when setting them in place.
- If improperly placed, an accidental bump on your vehicle can send it crashing
With the above in mind, it is clear that ramps are safer for beginners thanks to increased stability. With time, it is always better to be well versed in both as they can be applied to different situations.
The critical thing to note is that with enough practice, both the car ramp and the jack stand are equally safe.
How Steep Should My Ramps Be?
The steepness of your ramps is entirely dependent on the vehicle in question. A sports car, for instance, will require a gentler slope than a 4×4.
When purchasing a ramp, it is essential to go through the sizes offered carefully and select the length that best corresponds to your car.
How Do I Know the Capacity I Require On a Ramp?
To find the right capacity, the first thing you need to do is check the weight of the vehicle. To that weight add roughly 150kg to 200kg. The added weight is to allow for the extra weight of fuel or any other load that might add weight.
The resultant weight is the capacity you will need your ramp to take.
How to Correctly Use a Ramp
When it comes to using a car ramp, there is only one key factor to keep in mind. Never try to raise your car on soft or uneven terrain. If the terrain causes the ground to shift even a little, the risk of injury or death is high.
Ready To Buy The Best Car Ramp?
The right car ramps for any vehicle will depend on several aspects, such as the weight capacity, angle of inclination, quality, level of traction offered and width. Even with such considerations in place, you will find that the preference of auto ramps varies among car owners.
For instance, you may be looking for ramps that can safely bear the weight of heavier vehicles. In such a case, you should get the units that have a relatively higher GVW rating, such as the Magnum 1002-01 Automotive Ramp System or the RhinoGear 11912ABMI Auto Ramps.
If you do not have much storage space for ramps or are looking for a unit that is highly portable, you may need to go for the mini-car ramps. In such a case, the Discount Ramps 6009-V2 ramps will come in handy. With regards to portability, very few ramps can beat the Magnum 1002-01 Automotive Ramp System, as it has four easy to join and dismantle parts.
Regardless of your preferences, the considerations discussed in this guide will help you choose the best ramps for your car.