To do BJJ and gain positive results, the first thing to do is to suit up with BJJ shorts. It’s that simple! No flashy suits or shoes required.
Many words aren’t needed to show the evident popularity of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ). For years, BJJ has enjoyed widespread acceptance and recognition by many people. And its popularity keeps circling the world like never before in the last decade.
As a grappler, it is essential and necessary to wear the appropriate shorts. Wearing casual wear for a grappling exercise or fight will make things complicated for you. The reason being is that just not any shirt or trouser can be worn to do Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ). Instead, the art requires a unique but straightforward code of attire. In this article, we will examine what BJJ shorts are, the different types and which one is right for you.
Getting nice BJJ shorts should be on your mind if you plan to do BJJ or Mixed Martial Art (MMA).
What Are BJJ Shorts?
Table of Contents
- 1 What Are BJJ Shorts?
- 2 Buying Guide
- 3 Types of BJJ Grappling Shorts
- 4 Popular Brands of BJJ Shorts
- 5 Why Do I Need BJJ Shorts?
- 6 How Do I Measure for BJJ Shorts?
- 7 Why use Compression Shorts for BJJ?
- 8 Conclusion
Everyone knows the proper attire of a typical lawyer is always suit and tie. If we were to check soldiers, they have got their distinctive uniforms as well. The same goes for every human institution, context, and setting. So, in most cases, there is a required dress code for an essay competition, an evening stroll, excursion, or Saturday strolls in the park.
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) exists in a social setting. Since every social environment and institution has a peculiar dress code, BJJ is not an exception. So what are BJJ shorts? Simply put, they are the trousers you wear to participate in BJJ or MMA – which is your official BJJ uniform.
It is only reasonable and logical to aspire to buy quality materials. Choosing the best BJJ shorts is just the stepping stone to having a rewarding BJJ training or dueling session. This idea is why you must watch out for the best BJJ shorts, and constantly be on the look-out for good quality materials at a reasonable price.
There are quality brands out there to get BJJ shorts which leave you with a wide range of choices. But the major problem is that such a wide range of options can make getting the best shorts as hard as passing the needle through a camel’s eye. Does that mean there’s no hope of getting the best BJJ shorts?
Wrong. There is hope. And that hope lies in following correct buying guide that will be of sure help to you in getting the best BJJ shorts which correspond to your needs as a fighter.
To spot the perfect BJJ shorts for you, you must pay attention to some details of the shorts:
- Design: Your shorts design matters. Are they appealing to you? Are they fit for BJJ fight? Some BJJ competitions even have specified ‘shorts’ plans for their competitors. What’s more is that the more the shorts make you feel grand, the better your chances of doing great!
- Sizing: BJJ shorts come in varying sizes. It will not be an excellent experience to be having sizing issues while performing BJJ, such as tightness or looseness. It would be ideal for getting the short that will fit in snug, but loose enough for maneuvering in combat situations. Get your measurement right and opt-in for the appropriate size of BJJ shorts.
- Material: You must put the quality and durability of BJJ shorts into consideration. It should have elements that absorb and dry sweat quickly. It should be enough to withstand tear when used for multiple training sessions and important performances.
Types of BJJ Grappling Shorts
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) is gaining hearts and minds every day. It’s only standard for BJJ shorts to be the next trend after martial art. BJJ shorts consist of different sizes, shapes, and colors. They are the most flexible shorts you could ever have.
Moreover, you are to use these shorts for grappling. However, the shorts also come in handy for several other things. You can use them for swimming or even lounge around with them in the comfort of your own home.
Let’s review the various types of BJJ shorts in the market world currently. Take note of the ones that meet your interest and appeal.
BJJ Shorts with Pockets
There are times when spats and rash guards come into play for doing BJJ. But presently, the correct and formal wear is BJJ shorts. All original BJJ shorts consist of no pockets. This design is to prevent opponents’ fingers or toes from getting stuck in the pockets, thus causing injury.
BJJ Grappling Shorts with Compression
What gives BJJ shorts its uniqueness is compression. The compression helps in compressing the groin and thigh muscles, thus preventing injury when training. Compression is used when an athlete is either recovering or is in a state of overtraining.
- The Perfect Fit: Base Layer Shorts are a popular alternative to full length spats. Regular underwear quickly becomes uncomfortable, especially during grappling or striking movements. Our shorts will stay tight to your body, and are shorter than spats so you can keep your body temperature down
- Please ignore the size chart provided by amazon,check the size chart of the third picture to select the appropriate size
- THE ULTIMATE BASE LAYER FOR JIU JITSU 🥋 Perfect for both gi and no-gi training, Gold BJJ Compression Shorts protect your skin from matburn and provide just a touch of compression while you roll.
Compression allows stability within your muscle group to stay uniform and resistant fatigued misalignment, which leads to injury. BJJ shorts with compression also keep your muscles warm and protect them from strain and sprain. Simply put, it is great practice to wear compression to prevent any type of injury turning training or performance.
Mixed Martial Art (MMA) is one of the fastest-growing martial art in the world. MMA shorts give flexibility and mobility. More importantly, they provide you with ease and comfort for moving around your opponent. They also always come out with fresh designs. Do you want a taste of MMA shorts’ coolness? Try one on the training grounds!
- ✅ALL-PURPOSE: In case you are striking or grappling, yoga or cross-fit, even weight lifting or running shorts - these mma shorts will let you do it all.
- Made of 100% Micro Fabric stretch Panels constructed shorts feature a large
- 1.Velcro and Drawstring help you better adjust your waistline,Pants leg split design makes it easier for you to lift legs,Firm stitching makes pants more Durable.
Vale Tudo Shorts
Fast movement is essential in any martial combat. What you wear can improve your speed or hamper it when doing BJJ or any martial art.
- Sturdy Lycra Microfiber build & double-stitched for lasting performance
- Heavy-duty Polyester make these Patent Pending MMA shorts breathable.
- 62% Polyester / 38% Spandex plain weave fabric
Vale Tudo gives room for optimal movement when fighting. Even MMA stars like Anderson Silva and Mauricio “Shogun” Rua have made this short very popular.
Board shorts bear semblance very much with casual wear. They are often longer than a traditional swimsuit. That is why most board shorts you will see are knee-length long. If you want maximum surfing chance, board shorts are the go-to surf wear.
- BJJ Belt: FUJI Belts are designed using our FUJI Premium high-quality cotton weave which results in a belt built for durability
- Blank shorts / No logos
- These MMA workout training shorts are the perfect combination of style and durability and are specifically designed for the hard pounding action that takes place in the gym
Popular Brands of BJJ Shorts
Different brands manufacture and sell BJJ shorts. The wide range of BJJ shorts brand makes the market competitive. And where there’s competition, there’s bound to be a quality improvement. Now, that’s a win for customers, is it not? So, we will be checking out five popular BJJ shorts brands.
If you are a no-gi practitioner, then Hyabusa BJJ shorts are your best shot. Hyabusa brand specializes in making efficient BJJ and MMA shorts, particularly for all no-gi practitioners. This brand’s specificity in design makes their BJJ shorts have high performance. Also, Hyabusa BJJ shorts can be used by grapplers at any level.
Hayabusa BJJ shorts come in different colors – available in black, blue, white, purple, or brown. The choice is all yours!
- Board style Pro fight short (long cut), engineered to look sharp and last through the toughest training sessions or fight night.
- These are ideal running shorts, boxing shorts, MMA shorts, crossfit shorts, fight shorts and are perfect for any athlete.
- THE ULTIMATE HYBRID LENGTH TRAINING SHORT: Hex Mid-Thigh MMA Fight Shorts unite the fit/feel of kickboxing and board shorts. Engineered for comfort, a full range of motion, and the durability youâ€re looking for. Rest assured, these lightweight fight shorts are built to last.
Sababul is a brand that takes pride in manufacturing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu shorts. They are one of the best companies manufacturing shorts for MMA. Their products’ quality is very high and affordable as well.
Furthermore, their shorts don’t only look good on you, they also don’t fail in giving optimal performance and mobility. If you want quality BJJ wears at an affordable price, Sanabul is the best brand for you. Sanabul produces all types of BJJ products.
- The Sanabul Essential Shorts have an athletic fit and are less baggy than traditional shorts. The fully sublimated graphics (dye is infused into the fabric) won't fade, peel or irritate the skin and keep your shorts looking brand new
- BJJ Belt: FUJI Belts are designed using our FUJI Premium high-quality cotton weave which results in a belt built for durability
- Just What You Need: Sanabul checks all the boxes to get you started. Highly functional, form fitting, and a name recognized around the world
Basketball consists of speed, agility, and energy. What you wear in playing this game can liven up your performance or dampen it with poor vibes. Elite Sports basketball shorts are excellent for basketball players.
The company is one of the leading companies manufacturing in selling basketball shorts suitable for both men and women. The shorts’ designs are very strategic themselves. Take basketball skills to the next level with Elite Sports shorts! You’d be surprised by your performance gains.
- ✅ MATERIAL – The Elite Sports Black Jack MMA shorts also can be worn as No-Gi, MMA, BJJ, UFC fight shorts and other martial arts that you like. These BJJ shorts are made from lightweight high-quality microfiber fabric that will increase your range of motion and your performance by keeping you comfortable.
- CONSTRUCTION FABRIC – Elite Sports BJJ rash guards are made of 85% polyester and 15% spandex making it best BJJ full sleeve rash guards with highest level of comfort. Our BJJ compression rash guard for men has non-chaffing and 4-way stretch features.
- ✅ MATERIAL – The Elite Sports Star Series MMA shorts also can be worn for martial arts. These BJJ shorts are made from lightweight high-quality microfiber fabric which increases range of motion and performance by keeping you comfortable.
93 Brand is a New-York based Jiu-Jitsu design company. They manufacture stylish and quality BJJ shorts. The brand specializes in making BJJ shorts with touches of comfort, performance, and style. Their short products are durable and of high quality. For convenience and affordability, the brand has two unique jiu-jitsu gi offers. They are:
- Standard Issue Gis.
- Premium BJJ Gis.
Also, to help customers choose the right shorts that will fit adequately, there are size charts for both the Standard Issue Gis and Premium BJJ Gis.
- 100% High Quality Microfiber Fabric Pants.
- NO POCKETS, FOR NOGI - The only thing those pesky IBJJF refs will DQ you faster than knee reaping for, is wearing fight shorts with pockets. We eliminated pockets and anything else that could snag a finger or toe.
- Just What You Need: Sanabul Essentials check all the boxes to get you started. Highly functional, form fitting, and a name recognized around the world
Why Do I Need BJJ Shorts?
Why use BJJ shorts anyway when there are other casual wears to use to do BJJ? Well, there are several reasons why BJJ shorts are unquestionably the best shorts for BJJ or MMA training.
Some of the reasons why you a need BJJ short are:
- Absorbs and soaks sweat quickly.
- Provides a compression force that keeps your muscles from stress and strain.
- designed to last long. Casual wears will wear and tear in no time.
How Do I Measure for BJJ Shorts?
It can be frustrating to use an oversized or too tight BJJ shorts for training. This conflict is why you must take careful measurements in arriving at suitable shorts for you. So, how can you measure for BJJ shorts?
It’s quite simple. There are some strategic parts of the body you need to measure:
- Chest: Measure the widest area of your chest.
- Waist: Take measure of the narrowest part of your waist.
- Hips: Measure the widest part of your hips.
Most BJJ brands like Hyabusa have size chart guides. Take your time to check them out to find the right BJJ shorts size for you. If you eventually find one, then you’re on your way!
Why use Compression Shorts for BJJ?
Fancy designs and colors aren’t the only features that make a short complete. One of the big-picture features that make BJJ shorts handy is compression. Athletes predominantly use compression gears for high athletic performance. This technique should let you know just how vital compression is, either for training or dueling.
Furthermore, compression shorts have elastic and stretchy materials that glue perfectly to your body and is skin tight, creating tension pressure in your thighs and glutes. Several studies have shown that compression shorts provide the following advantages:
- Reduction of muscle fatigue: Sore muscles and lactic acid can build during workup or training. Compression helps in boosting athletic performance by mitigating fatigue.
- Prevention of sprain and strain: Compression helps reduce the occurrence of strain and sprain.
- Comfort: Conforming to your body, regardless of the area.
- Enhanced jumping ability: Provides a spring-like feel to your muscles.
- Compression force gives support to your groin: Helps maintain muscle groups in high tense situations.
- Mitigation of muscle soreness: Eliminates soreness and diverts fatigue.
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) is gaining popularity every day. Currently, martial art is one of the most common defense mechanism used by MMA fighters. The fantastic part of this incredible martial art is it’s encompassing stance. It can be learned and attained by anyone. Kids can learn it to defend themselves! BJJ short make your training fun and rewarding. Train with it and enjoy the ease and convenience it unleashes.