If you need an industrial or residential fan, this guide evaluating the top-selling models from Big Ass Fans is for you. Ceiling fans come in many shapes, sizes, and designs. People who live in hotter areas need ceiling fans to keep the air circulating and their houses at a comfortable temperature.
Businesses with large spaces need industrial fans to ventilate those large spaces so customers are comfortable. Factories, warehouses, and other large in-door production or storage facilities need ventilation fans to keep stock at a constant temperature or ensure employees in those facilities do not overheat while working.
In the past, the need for large industrial fans was typically filled by fans mounted to walls that pulled air from inside and blew it outside. Big Ass Fans took a different approach and designed the first “big ass” ceiling fans, and they have been a huge hit since they hit the market in 1999.
Big Ass Fans also produces smaller fans for use in the home. Below, we present a comparison of the five top fan models from Big Ass Fans. We then provide you with a buyer’s guide so you can acquire the Big Ass Fan that best meets your needs.
Big Ass Fans Reviewed by an Automotive Shop Owner
Table of Contents
- 1 Big Ass Fans Reviewed by an Automotive Shop Owner
- 2 How Big Should My Ceiling Fan Be?
- 3 Comparing the Top-Selling Big Ass Fans
- 4 How Much Do Big Ass Fans Cost?
- 5 Big Ass Fan Buyer’s Guide
- 6 The #1 Model for Automotive Shops, Manufacturing, Public Shops & More
- 7 Company History
- 8 The Technology Behind Big Ass Fans
- 9 Energy Efficiency Certifications and Awards
- 10 Who Benefits from Using Big Ass Fans and How?
- 11 Types of Fans
- 12 Industries that Use Large Ceiling Fans
- 13 Big Ass Fan Discount Codes
This video shows how an automotive shop owner, Jim Lindsey, benefitted from installing Big Ass fans in his shop. With the hot weather in Lousiana and working on cars, he needed something that’ll keep the shop cool and not make too much noise.
By getting rid of mediocre wall fans, he was able to get constant airflow throughout the shop. Jim admitted that the biggest hurdle was the initial cost, but the energy savings were definitely worth the long term investment.
How Big Should My Ceiling Fan Be?
The square footage of your shop must be approximately 5-7 times the diameter of your chosen fan. For example, a 14-ft fan can cover an area of 4,900 square feet at a minimum. The largest ceiling fan made by Big Ass Fans is 24 feet and will cover about 14,400 square feet (Source).
Comparing the Top-Selling Big Ass Fans
- FAN SETTINGS: 7 speeds, Sleep, Whoosh (which simulates natural breezes), and Timer
- Provides cooling over the same area as 42 standard Ceiling fans at a fraction of the cost
- FAN SETTINGS: 7 speeds, Sleep, Whoosh (which simulates natural breezes), and Timer
- INDUSTRIAL CEILING FAN: The Big Air 88 in. Indoor Metallic Industrial Ceiling Fan boasts a unique design that complements both casual settings such as shops and barns and sophisticated areas like in your office or living room. Perfect for garage, commercial, residential, any home improvement project that wants a sleek, modern look.
- INDUSTRIAL CEILING FAN: The Big Air 72 in. Indoor Metallic Industrial Ceiling Fan boasts a unique design that complements both casual settings such as shops and barns and sophisticated areas like in your office or living room.
How Much Do Big Ass Fans Cost?
Because Big Ass Fans sells a variety of models, prices vary and cover a broad range. They offer directional fans and overhead fans for residential or industrial use.
Residential overhead fans are the least expensive options; you can purchase one for as little as $460. From there, prices rise depending on the model and strength of the fan you need.
Industrial fans, which are as large as 14 feet in diameter and weigh up to 80 pounds, sell for as much as $5,300 or more.
This may seem like a lot to pay for a fan. However, these fans are built using best-in-class technology and materials and can continue functioning for decades if treated properly.
Plus, when considering price, it is important to keep in mind the return on your investment (ROI). For example, some models produce a 10-degree cooling effect in the summer, reducing your energy bill significantly.
Those same models reduce your heating costs by up to 30% during the winter months. When you consider those savings, a Big Ass Fan will pay for itself in a year or two. This makes their cost easier to stomach.
Big Ass Fan Buyer’s Guide
There are many variables to consider when shopping around for a fan from Big Ass Fans. Which type of fan do you need? Do you need a fan for residential use or industrial use? Do you care about energy conservation, and if so, are you willing to pay a little extra for a fan that is certified by prominent governmental and private energy efficiency evaluators?
Here, we dig into the Big Ass Fans company, its history, the technology behind the fans, types of fans they produce, and then discuss which industries can benefit from purchasing a big ass fan. Finally, we will wrap up with a brief section about how to get a discount code and save money when you purchase a fan.
The #1 Model for Automotive Shops, Manufacturing, Public Shops & More
- Provides cooling over the same area as 29 standard Ceiling fans at a fraction of the cost
The Big Ass Fan Company was originally founded in 1999, in Lexington, KY. The business was first called the HVLS Fan Company and specialized in producing large industrial fans such as the 3600 Universal Mount listed above.
Their fans were an immediate hit with customers and demand began to outpace supply. Potential customers continued to call the HVLS Fan Company to ask about “those big ass fans you sell.”
After hearing so many people refer to their products as “big ass fans,” the company realized there might be a rebranding opportunity at hand.
So, they renamed the company Big Ass Fans, which was a smart move as the brand name is very sticky and easy to remember. And they used a donkey as their logo, just to keep things clean and polite.
For many years the company manufactured and sold only their massive industrial fans. Then, in the 2010s, they began to expand operations and their offerings. They started producing smaller overhead fans for residential use.
These days Big Ass Fans has become a household name. You can purchase a Big Ass Fan directly from the company’s website itself, as well as from Amazon, Home Depot, Lowes, and various other home and industrial appliance dealers.
The company is so successful that it has now expanded out of Lexington, KY and has production sites around the globe. They have operational bases in Singapore, Malaysia, Australia, and Canada. People and businesses everywhere are eager to get their hands on a Big Ass Fan.
The Technology Behind Big Ass Fans
One reason the Big Ass Fan Company is so popular is that it uses a variety of energy-saving and other technology features that improve the experience of using its fans and saves customers’ money.
In the beginning, the company used airfoils instead of flat blades to circulate air. Airfoils resemble airplane propeller blades.
Depending on whether they are moving clockwise or not, they produce a lift effect. Air is lifted to the top of the space in which the fan is located and then dispersed throughout that space, from the top down.
In the 2010s, the company introduced its own, patent-pending technology called SenseME. This technology incorporates a built-in motion sensor that turns the fan on when you enter the room and turns it back off when you leave.
It also uses environmental sensors to consistently check the room’s temperature and adjust the fan’s speed according to settings that you configure yourself.
The Big Ass Fan Company continues to test new technology to ensure its products are as energy-efficient as possible. They have their own research and development lab, which is 44,000 square feet in size and acts as a launchpad for new designs, better technology, and more efficient fans.
Energy Efficiency Certifications and Awards
The company’s fans meet and far surpass energy efficiency standards. The ENERGY STAR Program—which is a part of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and U.S. Department of Energy—promotes energy efficiency. It provides rankings and certifications for various products.
The Big Ass Fan Company—aside from being ENERGY STAR certified—blew the top off of other products’ ENERGY STAR rankings. They are now the most energy-efficient fans available anywhere. In 2012, the company earned the title of the “Most Efficient” fans by ENERGY STAR.
Their production facilities have been certified at the Gold level by LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design), a green, environmentally conscious building certification program. LEED is used worldwide to inform consumers about the environmental impact caused by the production of a particular product.
Additional Awards and Recognition for the Big Ass Fan Company
The list below includes only a few awards and recognitions. Big Ass Fans has won many additional awards and has been recognized as a leader in energy-efficient technology by various other entities. There are simply too many to list here. But below are a few of the more prestigious awards the company has received:
- Forbes’ 25 Best Small Companies in America (2016)
- The US Environmental Protection Agency gives Big Ass Fans the ENERGY STAR Award for Excellence in Energy Efficient Product Design (2016)
- Listed in the Fortune 50’s list of the best places to work for new college graduates (2016)
- Listed as one of America’s Most Promising Companies (at number 33) by Forbes (2015)
- The U.S. Green Building Council awarded Big Ass Fans with the titles of “Best Product for Energy Efficiency” and “Most Innovative New Product of the Year” (2014)
Who Benefits from Using Big Ass Fans and How?
Any homeowner who wants to reduce their energy bill while simultaneously enjoying one of the best fans ever manufactured should look into purchasing a Big Ass Fan. They offer both indoor fans to cool your home and outdoor ceiling fans to keep that summer patio nice and fresh.
The company’s fans also provide unparalleled airflow and maximum comfort in the home, making them a must for homeowners who settle for nothing but the best. The same is true for their industrial fans. They may seem a little costly, but as the old adage goes: You get what you pay for.
Types of Fans
We have already touched on this above, but for good measure, we’ll quickly lay out the types of fans the Big Ass Fan Company manufactures and sells.
Residential Fans: These fan models are perfect for the home. They are the same size as most residential overhead fans but come with more power, better energy conservation features, sleeker designs, and automation features like motion-detected activation and temperature control monitoring.
Overhead Industrial Fans: These large industrial ceiling fan models circulate slower than you would think but perform at an unparalleled level. They can cool spaces of up to 3,600 square feet. That’s why so many businesses rely on Big Ass Fans to get the job done.
Directional Fans: These fans can be placed on the floor or mounted on the wall. They can oscillate or remain stationary, aimed in one direction. They are mobile and can be moved around, making them ideal for cooling isolated areas of industrial facilities.
Industries that Use Large Ceiling Fans
Big Ass Fans’ line of industrial fans serves a vast array of industries. High rates of customer satisfaction with their products are almost universal. There really is no other product on the market that comes close—in terms of quality—to Big Ass Fans.
Here is a list of the most common industries that use Big Ass Fans:
- Agriculture Industry—including dairy and livestock farms, horse farms, greenhouses, state fair arenas, and more
- Aviation Industry—including airports, maintenance facilities, as well as corporate and private aircraft hangars
- Public Businesses and the Hospitality Industry—including bars, restaurants, concert venues, event centers, hotels, resorts, sports arenas, large retail stores, offices, outdoor venues, theme parks, churches, and other religious centers
- Education—including K–12 schools, higher education campuses, and vocational/technical schools
- Fitness Industry—including gyms, indoor training facilities, practice arenas for sports teams, etc.
- Government—including federal government offices and facilities; state and local government offices; military facilities like airplane hangars, maintenance facilities, and storage warehouses; and other government-funded locations like libraries, firehouses, and open-air pavilions
- Manufacturing Industry—including warehouses, factories, repair centers, and distribution centers
- Automotive Industry—including auto dealerships, showrooms for heavy-duty machinery like bulldozers, auto service/repair centers, and more
Big Ass Fan Discount Codes
A simple Google search for “Big Ass Fans discount codes” reveals many sites that offer discount codes for fans. Some sites offer codes that provide customers with discounts as high as 50%. All you must do is search a little, compare offers and discounts on various reseller sites, and find the best discount possible.
Here, we will not delve into individual sites and their respective discount codes because those codes expire after a certain amount of time. They also change from time to time, so a code that works today may not work in a few weeks.
But one thing is certain, you don’t have to pay full price for most haiku fans or large industrial ceiling fans manufactured by Big Ass Fans. Just search for a discount code and you’ll save a significant amount of cash in the process while enjoying the best big ceiling fan technology in the world.