Among the most important gear for soccer players are shin guards. Shin guards contain a shield plate that helps protect players from tackles or kicks, ones that can lead to nasty injuries.
They are very helpful in reducing pain which results from collision with other players.
There are different types and brands of shin guards on the market today. This makes it hard to determine the best, especially if you are not sure of what you are looking for.
However, the perfect shin guards should be durable, able to provide maximum protection and should not slip off when playing (Source).
In addition, they should be lightweight, comfortable and guarantee maximum flexibility to boost your performance.
The shin guards reviewed here are so small that you can easily put them away in your soccer backpack.
Top 5 Soccer Shin Guards 2018
Table of Contents
- 1 Top 5 Soccer Shin Guards 2018
- 2 1. G-Form Pros S Shin Guards – Best Overall
- 3 2. Nike Mercurial Soccer Shin Guards – Best For Injury Protection
- 4 3. Adidas Performance Ghost Shin Guards– For Maximum Protection
- 5 4. Vizari Malaga Shin Guard– The Best For Ankle Protection
- 6 5. Franklin Sports Superlight– Most Comfortable Fit
- 7 Important Things to Consider When Buying Shin Guards
- 8 Types Of Soccer Shin Guards
- 9 Our Final Review
|G- Form Pros S Shin Guards|
|Nike Mercurial Soccer Shin Guards|
|Adidas Performance Ghost Shin GuardsSA|
|Vizari Malaga Shin Guard|
|Franklin Sports Superlight|
1. G-Form Pros S Shin Guards – Best OverallThis one is the best and the most expensive on the market. It is designed to provide impact protection which means it is made of quality materials. The best thing with these shin guards is that they harden upon impact.
This is important in protecting the shin from a hard tackle. Another thing is that they do not have a hard outer shell which means that they are very comfortable.
You do not need to use a start or external sleeve to attach them to the leg since they are made in a socks foam. When using them, you do not need to worry about bad odor which results from sweating since they have a breathable design which enables them to reduce heat when playing.
This also boosts your performance since your body will not react to increased temperatures around the legs. Another fantastic thing with these guards is that they take the shape of the shin which prevents them from slipping off. They are lightweight and comfortable as compared to other guards in the market.
2. Nike Mercurial Soccer Shin Guards – Best For Injury ProtectionThese ones are among the best soccer shin guards which you can use to protect your lower legs from injury when playing soccer. They are very attractive and unlike others, they are made of a hard shell and come with a foam sleeve to enhance protection. They have a compression sleeve which holds them together to make you comfortable when playing or during training.
Another thing which makes them unique is that the right and left guards are not similar which enables them to fit easily and to take the shape of your leg. They have a nice padding on the underside to provide protection.
In addition, they have a solid outer shell to ensure that you don’t feel any impact when you collide with other players. The compressions sleeves can stretch to the extent of your leg but they also remain tight to ensure the shin guards does not slip. These shin guards will serve you for a long time.
3. Adidas Performance Ghost Shin Guards– For Maximum ProtectionThey are top quality shin guards which will keep you protected from injuries. They have an attractive appearance and are very effective in protecting your shin. Unlike others, they have a thick shield plate for maximum protection. This means they are able to hold a lot of impact during collisions.
They contain 95% polypropylene and 5% TPU materials. This makes them to be very comfortable when worn. In addition, they are made of 3 shields which are joined together to enable them fit easily and ensure that they are flexible. These guards also comes with a compression sleeve which prevents the guards from slipping.
Apart from that, these guards come with a soft EVA backing which provides cushioning to your skin. Another thing is that they are available in different colors so you can choose your favorite color. They are lightweight but can be a bit heavy for kids. The best thing is that they last for a long time.
4. Vizari Malaga Shin Guard– The Best For Ankle ProtectionThese guards are very good in ankle protection and comes with a strap at the front which enables you to adjust them according to the shape of your leg. This also prevents irritation which might be caused by the material. They are well padded on the sides to provide more protection and comfort.
The best thing with these shin guards is that they are available in different sizes to suit your preferences. They have a heavy-duty protection but are very light to give your leg the best performance. Another thing is that they come with a hard PP shell which gives you confidence when attacking since they are very good in minimizing impact.
The guards are durable and very affordable. They have a nice design which makes them a great choice for your kids since they are child-friendly. The adult size has a breathable design which makes them comfortable.
5. Franklin Sports Superlight– Most Comfortable FitThese ones are the best size for shin protection. They are lightweight and do not slip off when playing. They have high-density abrasion resistant shield which is sturdy but not bulky. The double straps are self sticking and adjustable which enables the guards to fit perfectly.
Another awesome thing about these shin guards is that they have high-density foam which make you comfortable when playing. If you are searching for shin guards with an attractive look, these ones have chrome-accented design on the outer part. You can also find them in different colors.
Unlike other shin guards, they have a symmetrical design which enables them to fit perfectly on your legs. The best thing is that they despite their quality, they are very affordable.
Important Things to Consider When Buying Shin Guards
The main reason why soccer players use shin guards is to enhance protection.
When shopping for quality shin guards, ensure that the guards you choose are able to protect you from hard tackles and are able to prevent nasty injuries.
Shin guards are made from different materials such as plastic, fiberglass, foam rubber and polyurethane. The materials used determine their ability to offer protection and also their flexibility.
Some of the factors that determine the material you should choose are; price, personal comfort and the level of protection required. Quality shin guards should have foam on the inner side to protect your skin from irritation. Understanding the advantage of each material will help you in selecting the best guards as outlined below.
- Fiberglass – This material is hard and sturdy. It ensures the player is well protected from shin injury. It is the best materials and the most expensive due to its quality. However, it provides limited mobility since it is a bit heavy.
- Foam Rubber – These guards are lighter than fiberglass guards and enables the player to move easily. However, they are not very effective in impact protection. They are very cheap and likely to tear or wear out easily.
- Plastic – These ones provide more support as compared to foam. They are affordable but are not very protective as compared to fiberglass.
- Polyurethane – These ones are the heaviest and the most rigid. They provide the best support but are very uncomfortable as compared to the rest.
Ensure the guards you select are not too heavy which might limit your mobility when playing. Lightweight guards will help in boosting your performance since they allow you to move faster.
It is good to ensure that you select the best size which will fit properly. The size of the shin guard is determined by your height. Look for guards which can comfortably cover the area between your knee and ankle.
This is an important factor you should consider since the shield will determine the ability of the guards to protect you from impact or injuries. It should be hard, sturdy but lightweight to enhance protection and mobility.
If the pair of guards you select does not have straps, ensure that they are easy to adjust and they will not slip off easily. If they come with straps, ensure the material is of high quality to ensure that they will serve you for a long time because soccer involves a lot of movements.
If you play in a specific position, it is good to ensure that you look for guards with specific features to enhance your performance as outlined below.
- Goalkeepers – As a goalkeeper, you just need a guard which is lightweight since you do not need a lot of protection.
- Defenders – If you are a defender, you will require a guard which guarantees maximum protection. It is advisable to look for a heavier guard with good ankle coverage.
- Midfielders – They will require a balanced shin guard for maximum protection and flexibility.
- Forwards – Forwards requires lightweight guards which will enable them to move at a very high speed when attacking. Look for the smallest and lightest shin guards which will enhance maximum mobility.
Types Of Soccer Shin Guards
The three types of shin guards are as follows;
Slip-in shin guards
These ones are normally preferred by high-level or intermediate players. They are lightweight and allow mobility when playing. They are worn under the socks which holds them in place to ensure that they do not slip off. Some players use compression sleeves or tapes to keep these guards together. They also provide excellent protection.
Ankle shin guards
These ones come with a protection around your ankle and they are good in protecting the lower legs. They have a good padding that extends from the bottom and wraps around the ankle. This gives you ankles great support when playing. The padding protects your ankle from kicks and also helps to reduce chances of ankle sprains.
Unlike others, these guards contain an elastic strap which is found around the ankle and extends towards the bottom of your leg. The strap holds the guards in place to prevent them from slipping. The top of the shin guard contains a Velcro strap which keeps the guard in place. They are ideal for intermediate and young players.
Socks style shin guards
These ones are not very common and are usually used by young players. Unlike others, they are build inside a pair of socks. They are very convenient and affordable.
Our Final Review
Searching for the best shin guards may not be easy. However, the best shin guards should allow you or your kid to play with confidence without worry of being injured. It is not easy to prevent injuries completely but quality shin guards should be able to minimize chances of injuries. You should also use the right shin guards for your position.
Have you learned something? It is our hope that after going through the article, you are now able to decide the best shin guards you should look for as per your requirements. All the above products will provide the protection you require when playing. Most of them are comfortable and also affordable.
Which shin guard do you prefer from the above list? Feel free to share with us below.