Self-closing toilet seats, also known as automatically closing toilet seats, are a convenient bathroom add-on that enables your toilet to close itself. The best self-closing toilet seat will fit the shape of your toilet, mount properly, and include sufficient padding. Most people don’t think about their toilet seats until they have to use them, and then as soon as they are finished, the notion of a toilet seat even existing often escapes most people’s minds.
It’s important to note, however, that the flushing process creates a vortex, and pulls fecal matter and urine particles into the air (Source). Self-closing toilet seats effectively solve this problem by making sure that your toilet always stays shut. They can also be very useful in preventing your significant other from constantly having to remind you to put the seat down (Source). Before you get your heart set on a particular self-closing toilet seat, there are quite a few things to consider.
Before you buy a self-closing toilet seat, consider its price, ease of installation, and warranty. You should also consider its quality and the noise level of its closing mechanism. In this article, we will go over all of the top rated self-closing toilet seats. All of models in this review will make sure your toilet stays closed, and keep your bathroom clean and tidy, whether you have a lot of forgetful people in your house, or you live alone, and just want the added convenience.
What Is A Self-Closing Toilet Seat?
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is A Self-Closing Toilet Seat?
- 2 Comparing The Best Self-Closing Toilet Seats
- 3 1. Kohler K-5588 Purefresh Self-Closing Toilet Seat – Best Feature-Packed Toilet Seat
- 4 2. LAGUTE Automatic Toilet Seat with Cover – Best Luxury Self-Closing Toilet Seat
- 5 3. iTouchless Sensor Controlled Automatic Toilet Seat – Best Touch Free Toilet Seat
- 6 4. Brondell LumaWarm Heated Self-Closing Toilet Seat – Best Heated Toilet Seat
- 7 5. Biobudget Supreme BB Toilet Seat – Best Hygienic Self-Closing Toilet Seat
- 8 6. BioBidet BB-1700 Bliss Automatic Toilet Seat – Best-Designed Elongated Toilet Seat
- 9 7. The Flush Down Automatic Toilet Seat – Flexible Construction
- 10 8. The Kohler Quiet Close Toilet Seat – Most User-Friendly
- 11 9. The Brondell S300-EW Swash Elongated Bidet – Best Hygiene-Driven Seat
- 12 10. The TOTO SW2034#01 Automatic Toilet Seat And Bidet – Best Seat With Custom Features
- 13 Most Common Issues People Have with Self-Closing Toilet Seats?
- 14 Features of the Best Self-Closing Toilet Seats
- 15 What to Consider Before Buying a Self-Closing Toilet Seat
- 16 More Factors to Look At
- 17 Ready To Buy The Best Self Closing Toilet Seat?
For convenience, a self-closing toilet ensures minimum need to interact with the lid once you are done using it. These toilet seats are designed in such a way that they close afterward without much effort. Some are motorized electronically. Thus, when you push a button, the lid closes and opens automatically.
Furthermore, some designs have a slow-closing feature. These need a little touch, which triggers them to close quietly. Some advanced models have sensors that detect your presence near it to open or close without the need for touching the lid of the toilet seat at all.
Comparing The Best Self-Closing Toilet Seats
|Kohler K-5588 Purefresh Self-Closing Toilet Seat|
|LAGUTE Automatic Toilet Seat with Cover|
|iTouchless Sensor Controlled Automatic Toilet Seat|
|Brondell LumaWarm Heated Self-Closing Toilet Seat|
|Biobudget Supreme BB Toilet Seat|
|BioBidet BB-1700 Bliss Automatic Toilet Seat|
|The Flush Down Automatic Toilet Seat|
|The Kohler Quiet Close Toilet Seat|
|The Brondell S300-EW Swash Elongated Bidet|
|The TOTO SW2034#01 Automatic Toilet Seat And Bidet|
1. Kohler K-5588 Purefresh Self-Closing Toilet Seat – Best Feature-Packed Toilet Seat
Alongside that, it also boasts a quiet closing technology; shutting the lid down without slamming it. It requires two D batteries to run these functions, and it can last for six months. Installing the Kohler K-5588 Purefresh Self-Closing Toilet Seat is easy compared to other models. You can learn it by watching the quick-attach hardware or watching an instructional video.
2. LAGUTE Automatic Toilet Seat with Cover – Best Luxury Self-Closing Toilet Seat
Unlike other standard models, the Signature Hardware Self-Closing Toilet Seat does not require a light push for it to close. It is a completely automatic self-closing toilet with a no-touch cover. Besides the product, LAGUTE is a well-known company in terms of customer service and quality products. Other specific features of this product include;
- Glossy finish
- Made of heavyweight plastic material
- No-touch self-closing system
- Fits all the standard round bowl toilets
- Adjustable side to side hinge adjustment
3. iTouchless Sensor Controlled Automatic Toilet Seat – Best Touch Free Toilet Seat
Consequently, since most potential customers may not fully agree with the touchless feature, manufacturers offer users a grace period of trying this cover on a flat surface before installing it on their toilets. However, manufacturers often caution users that they should help the lid if the motor leaves it half way. The sensors are also not full-proof as it may sometimes fail to detect men going for short calls and shut in the middle, causing some mess.
4. Brondell LumaWarm Heated Self-Closing Toilet Seat – Best Heated Toilet Seat
This product offers a combination of comfort and luxury with an added convenience of a LED nightlight. The soft illuminating glow of blue nightlight guides you to this soothing and heated seat at night. Furthermore, it is elegantly built with a simple on/off button for added energy efficiency. To top all of it off, installing this self-closing toilet is quite easy and it’s adjustable to fit any standard toilet seat as well.
5. Biobudget Supreme BB Toilet Seat – Best Hygienic Self-Closing Toilet Seat
- It boasts a three-in-one nozzle that offers posterior feminine and vortex clean up that improves hygiene.
- The smart seat and smart decision feature provides streamlined comfort with the adjustable heated seat and a slow closing lid.
- It features an eco-friendly energy mode that reduces electricity and use of toilet paper.
- The oscillating wide clean and pulsating message technology provides bubble infusion.
- 3-year limited warranty for parts and labor.
6. BioBidet BB-1700 Bliss Automatic Toilet Seat – Best-Designed Elongated Toilet Seat
Furthermore, it comes equipped with a water jet system to spray warm water for feminine and posterior cleaning. The BB-1700 also incorporates a side control panel to operate the various features it possesses. If you want, then you can even use the versatile remote control for controlling this luxurious bidet.
7. The Flush Down Automatic Toilet Seat – Flexible Construction
Furthermore, the chosen material for the seat is a durable and high-quality plastic that endures most weights without any sign of breaking. This toilet seat also ensures a stain-resistant surface to keep it hygienic for long terms. You might not even need the help of a plumber to install it, as it is super-easy to do it yourself.
8. The Kohler Quiet Close Toilet Seat – Most User-Friendly
Kohler offers this cost-effective range of silent toilet seats in a variety of colors for your taste and style. Even the installation process is quite simple for these units. Additionally, it can withstand heavyweight persons as it has sturdy bumpers to ensure an anti-skid experience.
9. The Brondell S300-EW Swash Elongated Bidet – Best Hygiene-Driven Seat
Additionally, you get a wireless controller to use its many functions while reducing germ transfer as much as possible. Even the water system provided for cleaning is equipped with multiple settings for the water temperature. Furthermore, you can even set the temperature of the seat for reducing that cold-morning experience.
10. The TOTO SW2034#01 Automatic Toilet Seat And Bidet – Best Seat With Custom Features
The seat, which is equipped with temperature regulators, keeps you warm while sitting on it. The state-of-the-art design of this bidet-cum-toilet seat encompasses a robust control panel on the side that you can easily access when needed.
Most Common Issues People Have with Self-Closing Toilet Seats?
- Wrong Seat Shape: Toilet seats are typically either elongated or round. Not everybody realizes this when buying their first self-closing toilet seat, and can make the mistake of purchasing the wrong toilet seat shape.
- Power Issues: A self-closing toilet seat needs a power source in order to function. Consider what power source will work best you. There are various potential power sources that you can receive. If you don’t consider this, you can end up with a model that won’t work well for your needs.
- Lack of Extra Features: It is common for people to get a simple self-closing toilet seat only to later on wish they had spent a few extra dollars for more features. You are already hooking the device up to electricity, which is why many manufacturers will also include special features.
Features of the Best Self-Closing Toilet Seats
Despite the reason you want to find a self-closing seat, it’s important that you know what to look for. To help you find the best self-closing toilet seat for your needs, here are the most important features to keep in mind.
Fits on Your Existing Toilet
This should be the first feature that you look at while you are searching through your options. Some models come in both round or elongated designs, but others may only come in one of these sizes. An elongated toilet has more of an oval shape, whereas a round toilet seat looks more like a circle. Make sure the self-closing toilet seat you choose matches your toilet shape (e.g. greatest 10 inch rough in toilet).
Convenient and Consistent Power Source
As we have explored, a self-closing toilet seat needs a power source. Usually, this is either a battery or corded connection. Consider which power source type will be the most convenient and consistent for you to use without encountering issues.
Adds Comfort, Utility & Ambience to the Bathroom
At the bare minimum, any sort of self-closing toilet seat will be able to close on its own. There are also many different unique features which can come included. Self-closing toilet seats can padding, heating, nightlights, remote controls, odor removal, and much more to your bathroom ambiance. If features like these interest you, find a model which gives you the best comfort and overall utility.
Cleaning and Sanitizing Features
As we just explored, there are many different potential features that you can receive from a self-closing toilet seat. Perhaps the most important one to look at is the cleaning and sanitizing capabilities. For example, a high-quality self-closing toilet seat like the BioBidet Supreme BB even comes with a top-rated bidet attachment and an automatic self-cleaning program. If you are willing to pay a little more, features like these quickly prove to be convenient.
Quick & Reliable No-Touch Closing
The process for how a self-closing seat does its job is something to consider. Typically, this is done either by pressing a button on remote control, or automatically with the help of sensors. If you simply want this process to be as automatic as possible, we recommend getting a model that uses sensors.
What to Consider Before Buying a Self-Closing Toilet Seat
As the name suggests, self-closing toilet seat design enables them to automatically lower the seat and lid. Featuring a special slow-close hinge, air cylinder or spring, these models lower the seat gently with minimal noise. This automation feature is perhaps the reason behind the surge in demand for these products.
Thus, these days, numerous models available on the market make it challenging to find the right product for your bathroom. However, worry not as our buying guide below will help you wade through to find the best toilet seat for you. Before getting to the details, it is important to highlight some of the reasons why you should think of upgrading from traditional toilet lids sealed with best waxless toilet seals.
Reasons to Upgrade your Toilet Seat
- Danger to pets– Traditional lids pose a danger to your pets in many ways. To begin, water is water for dogs and cats. If your pet sees water in either an open toilet or a swimming pool, they will always try to drink it.
- Saving relationships – There are age-old disputes from relationship partners about leaving the toilet seat up. The self-closing seats can save marriages and relationships by eliminating unnecessary arguments of unclosed toilet seats.
- Toilet plumes – Perhaps one of the ill-addressed issues associated with open toilet seats is the toilet plume. As the name suggests, plumes are aerosolized feces formulated and shot in the air after flushing. The quick and swirling motion of water causes plumes.
- Danger to small children – Open toilet seats are contaminated with chemicals, germs, and harmful bacteria. This poses a threat to children whose immune systems are not fully developed yet.
- Addition of elegance – Self-closing toilet seats come in various sizes, colors, shapes, and finishes. This variety gives you an option of choosing one that perfectly rhymes with the bathroom décor, especially when you have a top-rated shower system with body jets.
With all the above benefits, upgrading from traditional toilet seats to self-closing toilet seats is a considerable option. Follow the guides below to find the best product on the market.
More Factors to Look At
Toilet Seat Materials
Toilet seats are made from various materials. Some of the common materials include;
- Thermoplastic – most contemporary toilet seats are made from thermoplastic materials. They provide an attractive and hard-wearing finish for an affordable price.
- Thermoset – thermoset materials are the ultimate choice for stylish toilet seats. This deluxe-polymer material is not only hard-wearing but also durable that stays fantastic for years.
Shape of Toilet
Before setting out in search of a self-closing toilet seat, it is important that you determine the shape of your toilet first. There are two main shapes of toilet seats. They include:
- Round toilet seats – are standard toilet seats for most houses. Measuring about 16 and ¾ inches or less, they are designed to save bathroom space. They are also quite affordable.
- Elongated toilet seats – they measure 18 and 5/8 inches or more and fit mostly in residential toilets. They cost more than their counterparts.
Mounting toilet seats can be done in two types. The first conventional bolt and nut mounts are suitable for standard toilet seats and are generally easier to use. On the other hand, the integral bolt and nut look better and are harder to remove as they are drilled into the surface.
Toilet Seat Padding
Padding is overly important; especially if you have a family member recovering from surgery or childbirth. They are cushioned to provide additional comfort. However, despite alleviating comfort, padded seats are quite unhygienic. Other additional features that often accompany toilet padding include heated and raised toilet seats. Heated seats are perfect for those living in cold areas. Raised toilet seats come in handy for aged and physically challenged persons.
Ready To Buy The Best Self Closing Toilet Seat?
In the end, the answer to the question “which is the best toilet seat to buy?” relies solely on you and your preferences. The best toilet seat hinges, top-rated bidet toilet combo, best toilet seats, and best automatic toilet seats are decided by you after you’ve evaluated our comments on the products and factored your needs. From the products above, which is your favorite? Share with us in the comments section below!