Many people probably don’t think much about the seat underneath when nature calls. Whilst it may seem unnecessary to think of a perfect toilet seat, finding the right one can increase the ergonomics of your personal bathroom in terms of comfort and better fit.
Among the many methods of achieving this is by installing a self-closing toilet seat. The right toilet seat significantly affects the final look of your bathroom, especially when it comes to comfort and automation.
Self-closing seats eliminate the common challenge of dealing with inconvenient and unsanitary conditions associated with traditional toilet seats. The best self-closing toilet seat should fit the shape of your toilet, mount properly, and have sufficient padding.
With plenty of self-closing toilet seats available on the market, our review below outlines some of the top models.
Top 5 Best Self-Closing Toilet Seats
|Kohler K-5588 Purefresh Self-Closing Toilet Seat|
|LAGUTE Automatic Toilet Seat with Cover|
|iTouchless Sensor Controlled Automatic Toilet Seat|
|Brondell LumaWarm Heated Self-Closing Toilet Seat|
|Biobudget Supreme BB Toilet Seat|
1. Kohler K-5588 Purefresh Self-Closing Toilet Seat – Best Feature-Packed Toilet SeatThe Kohler K-5588 Purefresh Self-Closing Toilet Seat goes beyond the standard features offered by most typical self-closing toilet seats available on the market. It features a replaceable carbon filter and a fan that neutralizes odors.
It also employs an integrated air freshener that needs to be replaced monthly for excellent odor cancellation. Unlike other models, it has various battery-operated features including the programmable dual LED nightlight. This feature makes it easy for those who need to use the restroom at nights.
The second battery-operated feature of this toilet seat is the quiet closing technology. This feature shuts the lid quietly without the noise associated with slamming. It requires two D batteries to run these functions, which can last for six months.
Installing the Kohler K-5588 Purefresh Self-Closing Toilet Seat is easy, compared to other models. You can easily fix this by watching the quick-attach hardware or watching an instructional video.
2. LAGUTE Automatic Toilet Seat with Cover – Best Luxury Self-Closing Toilet SeatThose looking for a luxury self-closing toilet seat at affordable prices can consider the LAGUTE Automatic Toilet Seat. This seat is of exceedingly simple design but outperforms other expensive models.
Starting off is the heavyweight plastic construction with rubber bumpers, perhaps confirming the level of functionality this self-closing toilet seat provides. Unlike other standard models, the Signature Hardware Self-Closing Toilet Seat does not require a light push for it to close. It is a completely automatic and no-touch self-closing toilet with no-touch cover.
Besides the product, LAGUTE is a well-known company in terms of customer service and quality products. This is of immense importance, as users need to find a product from a reputable company. Specific features of this product include;
- Glossy finish
- Made of heavyweight plastic material
- Non-touch self-closing system
- Fits all the standard round bowl toilets
- Adjustable side to side hinge adjustment
3. iTouchless Sensor Controlled Automatic Toilet Seat – Best Touch Free Toilet SeatThe iTouchless Sensor Controlled Automatic Toilet Seat is available in both round and elongated styles, making it perfect for most standard toilet seats. Like the Kohler self-closing toilet seat, this product requires a battery to operate. It comes with a powerful lithium-ion battery.
The unique feature of this self-closing seat is the sensor that opens the lid automatically by approaching the toilet. With such feature, there will be minimal, or absolutely no contact required when using the toilet. The sit automatically closes when you are finished as you exit the bathroom.
Since most potential customers may not fully agree with the touchless feature, manufacturers offer users a grace period of trying this cover on a flat surface before installing it in their toilets.
The battery-operated motor is the power behind this touchless design. Manufacturers often caution users that they should help the lid if the motor leaves it half way. The sensors are also not completely full proof as it may sometimes fail to detect men going for short calls and shut in the middle, causing some mess.
4. Brondell LumaWarm Heated Self-Closing Toilet Seat – Best Heated Toilet SeatIf you are looking to treat yourself in a small but noticeable bathroom improvement, the Brondell LumaWarm Heated Self-Closing Toilet Seat should be your product of choice. To many, a heated toilet may seem silly at first, but advancing technology can’t be resisted.
Heat placed against your skin not only helps in improving your overall comfort but also helps in relaxing rear muscles. Heat is a common treatment of many injuries, and a heated toilet shouldn’t be an exception.
The Brondell LumaWarm Heated Self-Closing Toilet Seat offers a combination of comfort and luxury with an additional convenience of a LED nightlight. The soft illuminating glow of blue nightlight guides you to this soothing and heated seat at night.
It is elegantly built with a simple on/off button for added energy efficiency. Despite the intriguing features, installing this self-closing toilet is quite easy and adjustable to fit any standard toilet seat.
5. Biobudget Supreme BB Toilet Seat – Best Hygienic Self-Closing Toilet SeatSelf-closing toilet seats are preferred for their enhanced hygienic purposes. However, the Biobudget Supreme BB Toilet Seat wins the tag of being the most hygienic toilet set among other mentioned above.
The following provides for this toilet seat’s maximum level of cleanliness;
- Three-in-one nozzle that offers posterior feminine and vortex clean up that improves hygiene.
- The smart seat smart decision feature provides streamlined comfort with the adjustable heated seat and a slow closing lid.
- An eco-friendly energy mode that reduces electricity and use of toilet paper, which is eco-friendly.
- The oscillating wide clean and pulsating message technology provides bubble infusion.
- 3-year limited warranty for parts and labor.
What to Consider Before Buying a Self-Closing Toilet Seat
As the name suggests, self-closing toilet seat design enables them to automatically lower the seat and lid. Featuring a special slow-close hinge, air cylinder or spring, these models lower the seat gently with minimal noise.
This automation feature is perhaps the reason behind the surge in demand of these products. The plenty of models available on the market makes it challenging to find the right product for your bathroom.
However, worry not as our buying guide below will help you wade through the numerous products to find the best. Before getting to the details, it is important to highlight some of the reasons why you should think of upgrading from traditional toilet lids.
Outlined below are some of the reasons why you may consider opting out from traditional toilet lids.
- Danger to pets – traditional lids pose a danger to your pets in many ways. To begin, water is water for dogs and cats. If your pet sees water in either an open toilet or a swimming pool, they will always try to drink it. Toilet water is certainly not for drinking, but leaving your toilet seat open increases the chances of pets taking more than one sip.
- Saving relationships – there are age-old arguments from relationship partners about leaving the toilet seat up. Both men and women surely experience this since the inception of toilet seats. Men often find it easy leaving the restroom often forgetting to lower the lid. The self-closing seats can save marriages and relationships by eliminating these unnecessary arguments.
- Toilet plumes – perhaps one of the ill-addressed issue associated with open toilet seats is the toilet plume. As the name suggests, plumes are aerosolized feces formulated and shot in the air after flushing. The quick and swirling motion of water causes plumes.
Plumes may reach heights high as fifteen feet. This may reach adjacent sinks, countertops, and ceilings if your roof is low. Plumes contain harmful bacteria including the E.coli, a common cause of gastroenteritis. Having self-closing seats eliminates such risks by restricting the spread of plumes.
- A danger to small children – open toilet seats are contaminated with chemicals, germs, and harmful bacteria. This poses a danger to children who may regularly play next to such toilet seats. Note that their immune system is not fully developed resulting in frequent infections.
- Add elegance – self-closing toilet seats come in various sizes, colors, shapes, and finishes. This variety gives you an option of choosing one that perfectly rhymes with the bathroom décor creating a stylish space.
With all the above benefits, upgrading from traditional toilet seats to self-closing toilet seats is a considerable option. Follow the guides below to find the best product on the market.
Toilet Seat Materials
Toilet seats are made from various materials. Some of the common materials include;
- Thermoplastic – most contemporary toilet seats are made from thermoplastic materials. They provide an attractive and hardwearing finish yet at an affordable price.
- Thermoset – thermoset materials are the ultimate choice for stylish toilet seats. This deluxe-polymer material is not only hard wearing but also durable that stays fantastic for years.
Shape of Toilet
Before setting out in search for a self-closing toilet seat, it is important that you determine the shape of your toilet first. There are two main shapes of toilet seats. They include:
- Round toilet seats – are standard toilet seats for most houses. Measuring about 16 and ¾ inches or less, they are designed to save bathroom space. They are also quite affordable.
- Elongated toilet seats – they measure 18 and 5/8 inches or more and fits mostly in residential toilets. They are comparatively but more pricey than their counterparts.
Mounting toilet seats can be done in two types. The first, conventional bolt and nut mounts are suitable for standard toilet seats and generally easier to use. On the other hand, the integral bolt and nut look better and harder to remove as they are drilled into the surface.
Toilet Seat Padding
Padding is overly important, especially if you have a family member recovering from surgery or childbirth. They are cushioned to provide additional comfort. Despite alleviating comfort, padded seats are quite unhygienic.
Other additional features that often accompany toilet padding include heated and raised toilet seats. Heated seats are perfect for those living in cold areas. Raised toilet seats come in handy for aged and physically challenged persons.
Additional factors to consider when searching for the best self-closing toilet seat include:
- Customer reviews – you should consider reading comments and reviews from other users on a particular model before purchasing it. Consider the pros and cons of each product before settling on one.
- Price – always consider a quality self-closing toilet seat that matches the price. Besides, the product should fit your budget.
- Design – consider a toilet seat that suits your home bathroom’s décor. It should add comfort as well as style and elegance to your bathroom.
Our Final Review
Toilet seats are an invaluable asset to any standard household bathroom. However, settling for the best product can be quite daunting. All the models available on the market provide some level of satisfaction, but self-closing toilet seats are the best way to go currently.
They relieve users the unsanitary and inconvenience toilet practices through its automation feature. The best product should suit your bathroom style, be of quality material, proper mounting style and provide additional features such as padding and heat. It should also be cost effective.
You can settle on one of the products mentioned in our self-closing toilet seat review outlined above.
From the products above, which is your favorite? Share with us in the comments section below!