Are you looking for the best way to protect your vehicle from sunlight away from home or are just looking for temporary storage space?
In such a case, you can benefit from the versatility and convenience of a portable garage.
Such a structure will ensure that you have a safe and secure storage space for your car, RV or motorbike regardless of your location.
To buy the right portable garage for your needs, you need to consider aspects such as the size, material, ease of use, and weather-resistance offered by your preferred unit (Source).
Not only will you need a structure that is UV-resistant, but you must also ensure that your preferred garage is durable, sturdy, and easy to set up and dismantle.
Why Do I Need a Portable Garage?
Table of Contents
- 1 Why Do I Need a Portable Garage?
- 2 Comparing The Best Portable Garages
- 3 1. ShelterLogic Shed-in-a-Box Garage – Best Overall
- 4 2. King Canopy HC1020PC Carport Canopy – The Easiest to Assemble Portable Garage
- 5 3. Quictent 20’X10′ Carport Canopy – Heavy Duty Build
- 6 4. Palram Vitoria 5000 Carport & Patio Cover – Most High-End Portable Garage
- 7 5. Abba Patio 10 x 20-Feet Outdoor Carport Canopy – The Best Portable Garage Under $200
- 8 Benefits of Portable Garages
- 9 How to Set Up a Portable Garage?
- 10 Things You Must Know Before Buying a Portable Garage
- 11 Ready To Buy The Best Portable Garage?
Not all instant garages are created equal. Yet all of them, regardless of their design, provide one simple but very important service – shelter. Portable garages serve 3 basic functions:
- Protection when parking – The main purpose of these portable shelters is to provide protection to cars. In addition to protecting your car from rain, a portable garage can also protect it from UV rays and wind. For most people, that’s the main reason to have one.
- Protection while working on a car – A portable garage can also serve as an automobile repair shop. If you want one for this purpose, make sure it can be assembled easily and taken down quickly.
- Miscellaneous shelter – A portable garage allows you to perform a wide range of functions besides storing your car. For example, it provides a covered space during events such as BBQ and yard party.
Based on such considerations, here are five of the top-rated pop-up garages today.
Comparing The Best Portable Garages
|King Canopy HC1020PC|
|Quictent 20’X10′ Heavy Duty PE|
|Palram Vitoria 5000 Carport & Patio Cover|
|Abba Patio 10 x 20-Feet Outdoor Carport Canopy|
1. ShelterLogic Shed-in-a-Box Garage – Best OverallThe garage-in-a-box portable garage solution by ShelterLogic is affordable, compact, durable, and made of quality materials.
Having been designed to cope with any weather condition, this garage will protect your car, RV, ATV, or motorbike from the damaging effects of sun, rain, and hail storms. This carport is rated the best by many experts in the industry for one glowing reason: it offers a great value for money.
For enhanced stability, the manufacturer used 3X ShelterLock Steel stabilizers on this shelter. As such, the carport will not be swayed or moved by strong winds.
Alongside that, this product features a web strap as its unique ratchet cover tightening mechanism as well. Furthermore, this portable garage is equipped with an easy slide-across rail which allows you to tighten the cover even more.
Moreover, this heavy-duty portable garage boasts tough Ripstop fabric for its cover. The cover features a 7.5 oz psm woven polyethylene triple layer as well.
2. King Canopy HC1020PC Carport Canopy – The Easiest to Assemble Portable GarageIf you are looking for a simple yet elegant portable garage, the King Canopy HC1020PC will surely do.
To begin with, the structure is relatively spacious and measures 10 by 20 feet. Hence, you can park an average car in this canopy and still have space for a few garden tools.
Additionally, despite being a simple option, the frame on this structure is made of 2-inch high-quality steel covered in white powder as well. The powder enhances its durability and protects it from corrosion.
Notably, this product is also easy to assemble; it comes with pre-cut and drilled steel components alongside eight stabilizers that help improve its sturdiness.
Meanwhile, the fire resistant, UV-proof, and water resistant cover used on this portable carport is made of polyethylene. This cover features an innovative drawstring fitting patented system by the manufacturer. The system ensures that you have a protective and taut cover over your valuables.
3. Quictent 20’X10′ Carport Canopy – Heavy Duty BuildThe heavy duty PE carport canopy by Quictent features a house or ‘peak’ design, which makes it more spacious. In this case, the structure has additional space along its sides. The door and main cover of the enclosure is made of durable Polyethylene material that is UV resistant.
As compared to the other garage structures reviewed above, the cover used on this shed is relatively easier to clean. As for the frames, the manufacturer uses a 38 mm steel frame on this carport. The steel frame is also powder coated to make it more resistant to rust.
For improved convenience, this tent has two zipper doors on both ends. As such, you can access your portable garage from either side. Additionally, despite having sidewalls, this structure is well-ventilated.
With that said, one could say this is the best carport for snow as well.
4. Palram Vitoria 5000 Carport & Patio Cover – Most High-End Portable GarageIf cost is not a hindrance for you, you may as well go for the best high end products in the industry like the Palram Vitoria Carport & Patio Cover. As opposed to the other products reviewed in this guide, this cover features an aluminum frame and a polycarbonate roof.
To begin with, the car shed is made of high-quality aluminum framing and robust polycarbonate roofing. The polycarbonate panels provided for this product are 6 mm thick, hence tough and virtually unbreakable. The roofing material on this structure is known to block 0.9 percent of the harmful UV rays.
5. Abba Patio 10 x 20-Feet Outdoor Carport Canopy – The Best Portable Garage Under $200Affordability, durability, and water resistance are some of the desirable characteristics of the popular Abba Patio 6-leg Outdoor Carport Canopy. In addition to offering you additional storage space, this structure may also be used to hold outdoor events.
Moreover, it has been designed to withstand all weather conditions. Its sturdy heavy metal frame supports that fact. Hence, this heavy-duty portable garage can be used even as a snow canopy.
Additionally, the design of this shelter features vents for enhanced ventilation as well.
Benefits of Portable Garages
A portable garage is an economical and effective way to keep your car in good condition. With a portable shelter, you will get different types of protection and reap the benefits as well.
Here are the main benefits of using portable garages:
- Weather protection – Snow, sleet, and rain are all capable of damaging your car. That’s why you should keep your vehicle in a garage while it’s parked up. Pick a sturdy construction when looking for a portable garage so that it can hold up to prolonged exposure to bad weather.
- Heat protection – Your car can get hot insanely in the summer. Extremely high temperatures can wreak havoc on the electronics, upholstery, dashboard, and internal architecture of your car.
- UV protection – The ultraviolet light coming from the sun can damage your paintwork. As you know, auto body repairs can carve out a huge dent in your budget. By keeping your vehicle safe from UV rays, a portable garage will save you the headache of dealing with paintwork.
- Good value for money – This is an affordable alternative to standard garages. Even the premium portable garages are a few thousand dollars cheaper. You will get great value for your money without sacrificing quality.
How to Set Up a Portable Garage?
This is a no-brainer given that portable garages feature a simple design. Just follow these simple steps:
- Ensure you’re on level ground – If not, try leveling it for a portable garage with the use of wooden planks and rakes. Remove any rocks, branches, and debris from the area where you plan to set up the garage.
- Set up the poles – Check the manual for instructions on how to set up the poles of your pop-up garage. Take a look at the part list to get an idea of how to put together the poles and other parts. Before starting to assemble your garage, ensure that all the parts are functioning and clean.
- Brace the poles or install anchors – Depending on which garage you pick, this method can be slightly different. Most portable garages come with stakes and they can do a good job in most cases. If you live in an area that often encounters strong winds, look for upgraded anchoring systems to keep your garage safe.
- Hang the tarp – The last thing you need to do is set up a tarp by putting over the poles. Make sure the poles are adjusted to the required height. It’s a good idea to raise one end of your tarp to let the water drain. If the snow accumulates on the roof, your garage can collapse under that weight.
Things You Must Know Before Buying a Portable Garage
You probably are looking for a portable garage because you do not have a car port in your home. Or do you just need one you can carry around with you whenever you travel?
Well, the portability of your preferred car shed is the key consideration, in this case.
However, there are several other considerations you must make while looking for the right one.
If you are shopping for the best portable garage, here are some of the things you should consider:
1. Portable Garage Materials
The durability of your preferred garage will be determined by the materials used to make it. Additionally, the construction materials used on any portable car port determines the weight, strength, and price of the structure.
- Frame Materials
The frames give your canopy its shape and enhance protection for your car. Since you are looking for a portable unit, the frame on your preferred garage should be strong, yet lightweight.
Steel is one of the materials that are commonly used to make portable garage frames today. This may be attributed to its strength and durability. If your preferred structure has steel frames, you need to check how thick the steel is. While a larger diameter of the frame tubing will make the structure sturdier and stronger, it will also make the garage heavier.
All in all, you should ensure that the structure is strong, sturdy and lightweight. If you are not working on a limited budget, you may buy a garage that has an aluminum frame which is lighter than steel.
- Garage Covers
In most cases, portable garage covers are made of either polyethylene or polyester. While polyester is the affordable option, you should go for polyethylene whenever possible. In addition to enhanced durability, Polyethylene garage covers are known to protect your car against UV rays.
2. Weather Resistance and Durability
The portable garage you choose should be suited for the weather you will be using it under. For instance, you will need a garage with a peak style on the roof if you live in an area that receives a considerable amount of snowfall in winter. This will allow the snow to slide off and fall to the ground rather than collect on its roof.
3. Portable Garage Size
Portable garage structures are now available in numerous size and shape options. As you may be aware, you should get one that is of the right size. The ideal size of the portable garage to buy will depend on the items you would like to store in it.
If you are looking for a garage for a mid-sized car, you should not go for a 12 x 15 structure. This may appear to be the right choice, but the car will not fit without crushing the garage walls. For a mid-sized car, the right garage unit at least 12 feet long and 20 feet long.
If you are looking for the best portable carport for a pickup truck, a 12 x 24 or larger unit would be appropriate.
The best way to ascertain the right garage size is to measure your vehicles physically. Again, it is advisable to go a size up when buying a portable garage.
4. How Easy It is to Set Up
Since you will be setting up the garage on your own, you should look for a structure that is relatively easy to setup. With a portable structure, you will be dismantling and setting up now and then. When choosing the right one, it is advisable to look at how complex the structure is.
Ready To Buy The Best Portable Garage?
When shopping for the most ideal portable garage, it is advisable to look beyond the cost consideration.
For instance, you may need to buy a structure that you can easily and quickly assemble on your own such as the King Canopy HC1020PC.
Meanwhile, for those looking for versatility and affordability, only a few models can beat the Abba Patio 10 x 20-Feet Outdoor Carport Canopy. This portable carport features an attractive, yet sturdy and durable design and construction.
With regards to versatility, such a structure may be used to store a car, RV, motorbike, and farm implements, or to hold outdoor events.
All in all, the choice of the best portable garage is not that easy. The best portable garage should be made of tough and durable materials, spacious, weather-resistant and relatively easy to set up.