Are you looking for the best way to protect your vehicle from sunlight away from home or are just looking for a temporary storage space? In such a case, you can benefit from the versatility and convenience of a portable garage.
Such a structure will ensure that you have a safe and secure storage space for your car, RV or motorbike, regardless of where you are. However, choosing the best structure can be a daunting task.
To buy the right portable garage for your needs, you need to consider such aspects as the size, material, ease of use and weather resistance offered by your preferred unit.
Not only will you need a structure that is UV-Resistant, you must ensure that your preferred garage is durable, sturdy as well as easy to set up and dismantle.
Based on such considerations, here are five of the best portable garages today:
Best Portable Garages 2018
|King Canopy HC1020PC|
|Quictent 20’X10′ Heavy Duty PE|
|Palram Vitoria 5000 Carport & Patio Cover|
|Abba Patio 10 x 20-Feet Outdoor Carport Canopy|
1. ShelterLogic Shed-in-a-Box Garage – The Best Portable Garage OverallThe garage-in-a-box portable garage solution by ShelterLogic is not only affordable, it is also compact, durable and made of quality materials. Having been designed to cope with any weather condition, this garage will protect your car, RVs, ATVs or motorbikes from the damaging effects of sun, rain and hail storms. This carport is rated the best by many experts in the industry for a reason; it offers a great value for money.
For enhanced stability, the manufacturer uses a 3X ShelterLock, Steel stabilizers on this shelter. This gives the structure a relatively sturdier, reliable and durable construction. As such, the shelter will not be swayed or moved by strong winds or hailstorms. This product features a unique ratchet cover tightening mechanism, featuring a web strap. This keeps the cover neat and tight at all times.
To further tighten the cover, this portable garage is equipped with an easy slide-across rail. This allows for continuous tightening of the cover. You will also love the Ripstop tough fabric used to make the cover of this portable carport. This cover features a 7.5 oz psm, woven polyethylene triple layer. This fabric is UV-resistant and water resistant.
2. King Canopy HC1020PC Carport Canopy – The Easiest to Assemble Portable GarageIf you are looking for a simple, yet elegant portable garage, the King Canopy HC1020PC will surely do. To begin with, the structure is relatively spacious, measuring 10 feet by 20 feet. This means that you can park an average car in this canopy and still have space for a few garden tools. Despite being a simple option, the frame on this structure made of 2-inch high quality steel.
The steel frame is further coated using white powder for enhanced durability and protection against corrosion. One of the most enticing aspects of this product is the fact that it is easy to assemble. In this regard, the unit comprises of pre-cut and drilled steel components for easy assembly. For improved sturdiness, the structure comes with 8 stabilizers.
The fire resistant, UV-proof and water resistant cover used on this portable carport is made of polyethylene. This cover features an innovative drawstring fitting patented system by the manufacturer. This system ensures that you have a protective and taut cover over your valuables.
3. Quictent 20’X10′ Carport Canopy – Heavy Duty BuildThe heavy duty PE carport canopy by Quictent features a house or ‘peak’ design, which makes it more spacious. In this case, the structure has additional space along its sides. The door and main cover of the enclosure is made of durable Polyethylene material that is UV resistant.
As compared to the other garage structures reviewed above, the cover used on this shed is relatively easier to clean. As for the frames, the manufacturer uses a 38 mm steel frame on this carport. The steel frame is also powder coated to make it more resistant to rust.
For improved convenience, this tent has two zipper doors on both ends. As such, you can access your portable garage from either side. Despite having sidewalls, this structure is well ventilated.
4. Palram Vitoria 5000 Carport & Patio Cover – Most High-End Portable GarageIf cost is not a hindrance for you, you may as well go for the best high end products in the industry like the Palram Vitoria Carport & Patio Cover. As opposed to the other products reviewed in this guide, this cover features an aluminum frame and a polycarbonate roof. Being a high end product, this patio and carport cover boasts of a unique built quality.
To begin with, the car shed is made of high quality aluminum framing and robust polycarbonate roofing. The polycarbonate panels provided for this product are 6 mm thick, hence tough and virtually unbreakable. The roofing material on this structure is known to block 00.9 percent of the harmful UV rays.
5. Abba Patio 10 x 20-Feet Outdoor Carport Canopy – The Best Portable Garage Under $200Affordability, durability and water resistance are some of the desirable attributes of the popular Abba Patio 6-leg Outdoor Carport Canopy. In addition to offering you additional storage space, this structure may also be used to hold outdoor events. Having been designed to withstand all weather conditions, the tent comprises of a sturdy heavy metal frame.
The product comes with illustrative instruction that make it rather easy to assemble. In addition to a strong frame, the weight of this canopy enhances its sturdiness. The design also features vents for enhanced ventilation. This makes the tent rather comfortable when you are holding events under the hot sun.
Things You Must Know Before Buying a Portable Garage
You probably are looking for a portable garage because you do not have a car port in your home. Or do you just need one you can carry around with you whenever you travel?
Well, the portability of your preferred car shed is the key consideration, in this case.
However, there are several other considerations you must make while looking for the right one.
If you are shopping for the best portable garage, here are some of the things you should consider:
1. Portable Garage Materials
The durability of your preferred garage will be determined by the materials used to make it. Additionally, the construction materials used on any portable car port determines the weight, strength and price of the structure. This being the case, you need to be conversant with the various materials used to make these structures. So, which materials are the best for this structure?
- Frame Materials
The frames are some of the most important structural parts of a portable garage. The frames give this structure its shape and enhance protection for your car. Since you are looking for a portable unit, the frame on your preferred garage should be strong, yet lightweight.
Steel is one of the materials that are commonly used to make portable garage frames today. This may be attributed to its strength and durability. If your preferred structure has steel frames, you need to check how thick the steel is. While a larger diameter of the frame tubing will make the structure sturdier and stronger, it will also make the garage heavier.
All in all, you should ensure that the structure is strong, sturdy and lightweight. If you are not working on a limited budget, you may buy a garage that has an aluminum frame. Aluminum is rarely used on the high-end units, which makes the structure lightweight.
- Garage Covers
In most cases, portable garage covers are made of either polyethylene or polyester. While polyester is the affordable option, you should go for polyethylene, whenever possible. In addition to enhanced durability, Polyethylene garage covers are known to protect your car against UV rays.
If you are looking for a more economical option, polyester will do. However, these will not last as long as polyethylene covers would.
2. Weather Resistance and Durability
The portable garage you buy should be suited for the weather you will be using it under. For instance, you will need a garage with a peak style on the roof, if you live in an area that receives a considerable amount of snowfall in winter. This will allow the snow to slide off and fall to the ground, rather than collecting on its roof.
As mentioned earlier in this guide, the durability of your portable garage will be determined by its materials. For enhanced durability, you should get one that has metal frames and a tightly durable fabric, such as polyethylene, for the covers.
3. Portable Garage Size
Portable garage structures are now available in numerous size and shape options. As you may be aware, you should get one that is of the right size. The ideal size of portable garage to buy will depend on the items you would like to store in it.
If you are looking for a garage for a mid-sized car, you should not go for a 12 x 15 structure. This may appear to be the right choice, but the car will not fit without crushing the garage walls. For a mid-sized car, the right garage unit at least 12 feet long and 20 feet long. If you are looking for the best portable car port for a pickup truck, a 12 x 24 or larger unit would be appropriate.
The best way to ascertain the right garage size is to measure your vehicles physically. Again, it is advisable to go a size up when buying a portable garage. You should not just buy the one that is of the same size as your car, the right unit should be larger.
4. How Easy It is to Set Up
Since you will be setting up the garage on your own, you should look for a structure that is relatively easy to setup. With a portable structure, you will be dismantling and setting up every now and then. When choosing the right one, it is advisable to look at how complex the structure is.
Some of the leading portable port units feature a very simple design. This makes them easy to install and fold up for transportation. As a matter of fact, you will not need any specialized tools to set up or dismantle your portable car port.
Our Final Say on the Best Portable Garages
When shopping for the most ideal portable garage, it is advisable to look beyond the cost consideration.
For instance, you may need to buy a structure that you can easily and quickly assemble on your own, such as the King Canopy HC1020PC. Such a carport comes with clear instructions on how to assemble the various components.
For those looking for versatility and affordability, only a few models can beat the Abba Patio 10 x 20-Feet Outdoor Carport Canopy. This portable carport features an attractive, yet sturdy and durable design and construction.
With regards to versatility, such a structure may be used to store a car, RVs, Motorbikes, Farm implements or to hold outdoor events. All in all, the choice of the best portable garage is not that easy.
The best portable garage should be made of tough and durable materials, spacious, weather resistant and relatively easy to set up. With the various considerations discussed in this guide, it should be easy for you to choose the best portable garage today.