Just like many other gaming enthusiasts across the globe, you must be looking for the best gaming monitor under $300. For the best gaming experience on your PC, the monitor needs to be just as powerful as the CPU.
If you are shopping for the best monitor under 300, you must have realized that there are hundreds of products to choose from. So, what makes a monitor good for gaming?
To choose the best gaming monitor for your PC, there are several aspects that you need to put into consideration. For instance, you need to choose the right panel type, panel size and resolution.
As you will learn later in this gaming monitor review, you also need to consider such aspects as the refresh rate, pixel response, color and viewing angle.
To make the choice easier for you, here are reviews of five of the best gaming monitors under $300 today.
Best Gaming Monitors Under $300
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Gaming Monitors Under $300
- 2 1. ASUS VG248QE 24″ Full HD Gaming Monitor – Best Overall
- 3 2. Acer G257HU smidpx 25-Inch WQHD Widescreen Monitor – Smartest Gaming Monitor Under $300
- 4 3. ASUS MX259H 25-Inch, Full HD 1920 x 1080 IPS Frameless Monitor – The Best Gaming Monitor Below $200
- 5 4. ASUS ROG SWIFT PG248Q 24″ Full HD Eye Care G-SYNC eSports Gaming Monitor – Best Value for the Money
- 6 5. HP Pavilion 27-inch FHD IPS Monitor – The Best In-Plane Switching (IPS) Gaming Monitor
- 7 Things You Must Know Before Buying a Gaming Monitor
- 8 Our Final Review
1. ASUS VG248QE 24″ Full HD Gaming Monitor – Best OverallNot only does this gaming monitor allow you to expand your visual horizons, it is packed with an array of features to give you a superior gaming experience. In a bid to give you the best viewing angle possible, this product comes with an ergonomically-designed stand. This stand features pivot, swivel, height and tilt adjustments.
This being the case, the monitor is rated one of the best gaming monitors below 300 for a multi-display set up. With regards to connectivity, the VG248QE monitor will not frustrate you; it has multiple connectivity ports.
This monitor is fitted with Dual-link DVI, HDMI and Display Ports. As such, you do not have to connect the monitor to a CPU only; you can actually use the gaming monitor as the display for an array of devices, as long as the devices can connect through the provided ports.
Having been designed primarily for gaming applications, the product features a dedicated GamePlus hotkey. Additionally, you will also find the timer and crosshair overlay features of the monitor very beneficial. In this regard, the unit allows you to choose any of the 4 crosshairs to suit your preferred gaming environment.
The on-screen timer, on the other hand, allows you to keep track of build and spawn times while you are playing. As you may be aware, speed is one of the most important aspects of a good gaming monitor. In this regard, the ASUS VG248QE has a rapid refresh rate of 144 Hz.
In addition to this, the monitor has a response time of 1 ms, which goes a long way in eliminating tracers. This ensures that you get an ultra smooth motion during the most chaotic scenes of your preferred game.
2. Acer G257HU smidpx 25-Inch WQHD Widescreen Monitor – Smartest Gaming Monitor Under $300Not only is the Acer G257HU smidpx gaming Monitor visually appealing, it is designed to offer you exceptional performance and a unique gaming experience. With regards to aesthetics, the product features a sleek, super-slim profile designed. Again, the X-shaped stand used on the unit allows it to fit perfectly into an array of spaces.
Again, the G257HU is not just big in dimensions, it has the features you need for a superior wide-screen gaming experience. In this regard, the 25- inch LCD Widescreen boasts of a 2560 x 1440 WQHD resolution. As a result, you will get excellent detail when using this monitor for widescreen HD gaming, productivity applications or just for multimedia applications.
With a contrast ratio of 100 Million:1, you will not only get a crystal clear gaming experience from the monitor; you will also be able to view 16:9 HD digital content without experiencing any distortion on the images.
If you are looking forward to improving the energy efficiency in your home, you should consider buying a gaming monitor that is easy on the energy. In this regard, the Acer G257HU is compliant with ENERGY STAR requirements. Additionally, the RoHS compliant screen is mercury free and features LED backlighting. As such, it has been proven to save up to 68 percent of power.
3. ASUS MX259H 25-Inch, Full HD 1920 x 1080 IPS Frameless Monitor – The Best Gaming Monitor Below $200Are you looking for the best blend of affordability, elegance and performance in your new gaming monitor? If so, you should consider buying the ASUS MX259H frameless monitor. One of the aspects you will find captivating about this model is the aesthetics. To begin with, the product features a 15 mm, ultra-slim profile.
Being an edge-to-edge frameless screen with a 0.8 mm bezel, you will definitely find this product unique. In addition to the appealing visual appeal, this monitor is packed with an array of superior performance features. The LED backlit screen features the latest IPS panel technology, capable of delivering an aspect ratio of 16:9.
In a bid to minimize color shift on the screen, this monitor offers a 178 degrees wide-view angle. As such, the product delivers exceptional color accuracy and enhanced energy efficiency. The ASUS MX259H monitor was specifically designed to be easy on your eyes.
In this regard, the product has features to prevent flicker and an array of light sources that can lead to eye strain and fatigue. As such, you will find it easier to keep your eyes on the screen for extended periods.
4. ASUS ROG SWIFT PG248Q 24″ Full HD Eye Care G-SYNC eSports Gaming Monitor – Best Value for the MoneyThis may be the most expensive gaming monitor in this guide, but one that offers the best value for your money. This may be attributed to the numerous features the product offers.
Like many other gaming monitors below $300, the ROG SWIFT PG248Q is aesthetically appealing. As a gaming enthusiast, you must have come across some of the computer games that are really demanding and can take a toll on your PC monitor.
Do not let the capabilities of your gaming monitor limit you from playing such games. So, what makes this monitor a great choice? To begin with, the monitor has a 180 Hz refresh rate, which happens to be one of the best today. This, coupled with its 1 ms response time and Eye Care Technology, make this product a perfect choice for marathon gaming.
As a matter of fact, the Acer ROG SWIFT PG248Q is considered to be one of the bet monitors in the market, with regards to a seamless game play and ultra-smooth graphics. This is further enhanced by the NVIDIA G-SYNC technology, which allows the unit to deliver a breathtaking, ultra-fast and smooth gaming experience. Such features have been proven to eliminate screen tearing and reduce display stutter considerably.
Having been designed for gaming applications, this product is equipped with an ASUS GamePlus hotkey. The super-narrow bezel, slim profile of the monitor makes it a perfect choice for multi-display gaming setups.
5. HP Pavilion 27-inch FHD IPS Monitor – The Best In-Plane Switching (IPS) Gaming MonitorFor those working on a limited budget, here is another frameless monitor that boasts of a superior performance and ergonomics. One of the things that will attract you to this product is its attractive, modern appeal. The Pavilion FHD IPS Monitor features a frameless display design and does not have bezel around the display.
This being the case, the product is sure to give you a relatively wide viewing angle. This aspect makes it a great choice for multi-display gaming setups.
The monitor is specifically designed to offer consistent, high-quality color fidelity sharing, using In-Plane Switching (IPS) technology across the screen. This allows the 27-inch screen to offer a great vantage point from almost any point you are viewing it from.
The product is equipped with an open-wedge stand design. This enhances access to the HDMI and VGA ports on the model. The unit offers a Full HD 1920 x 1080 resolution with a dynamic contrast ratio of 10,000,000:1. Additionally, the product boasts of a response time of 8 ms and an aspect ratio of 16:9. Such features allow this gaming monitor to deliver impeccable images.
Things You Must Know Before Buying a Gaming Monitor
As a gaming enthusiast that you are, you must be having a powerful graphics card in your computer. However, this is of no use, unless you have an equally powerful display monitor.
As you may have noticed, there are numerous gaming monitors in the market today.
To end up buying the best gaming monitor below $300, there are several things that you need to consider, some of which are discussed below:
1. Resolution and Panel Size
Since you have narrowed your search to the relatively affordable gaming monitors, the choice of panel size will be a bit limited. While this is the case, you still need a big, yet powerful display for your gaming PC. Most of the leading gaming monitors priced below $300 range in size between 21 and 28 inches.
While choosing the right size, you also should consider the amount of space available on your desk. As a rule of the thumb, the higher the refresh rate and the resolution of a monitor are, the more powerful the unit is. Therefore, monitors with a higher resolution will give you a better image quality and clarity as compared to those with a lower resolution.
Most of the affordable gaming monitors have a resolution of 1,920 x 1,080 (Full HD). However, you may also get units with a relatively higher resolution, such as WQHD (2,560 x 1,440) and 4K (3,840 x 2,160) priced below $300.
2. Panel Technology
Having decided on the right size and resolution of your new monitor, you need to worry about the panel technology. In this regard, here are the 3 main types of panels you should consider:
- Vertical Alignment (VA) Panels
As compared to other panel types, VA panel gaming monitors are known to offer a higher native contrast ratio and better color. Most of the VA panel monitors within this price range have a contrast ratio of either 5000:1 or 2000:1. However, these monitors tend to produce a ghosting effect.
- Twisted Nematic (TN) Panels
Gaming monitors using this panel technology are some of the commonest today. TN panel monitors are comparatively affordable and tend to offer good refresh rates. Additionally, the best TN panel gaming monitors today are known to offer fast pixel responses. The drawback to these panels is that you may experience color shifting if you =view them from different angles.
- In-Plane Switching (IPS)
With regards to qualities, IPS panels fall in between the TN and VA panel gaming monitors. Most gamers today love these panels because they offer the best color consistency of the three panel types. Additionally IPS panel monitors deliver a superior great gray-scale performance.
3. Adaptive Sync Availability
The two sync technologies being used on these monitors today are G-sync by NVIDIA and Free-Sync by AMD. If you are looking for the best gaming monitor, it is advisable to go for one that has either of the sync technologies. Adaptive sync is mainly aimed at reducing motion artifacts and image tearing in such monitors.
4. Refresh Rate and Pixel Response
Refresh rate and pixel response are other aspects you need to consider while shopping for the best gaming monitor today. Pixel response in these products is measured in milliseconds (ms). The pixel response is basically the time taken for a pixel to change from black to white or another shade of grey.
As a rule of the thumb, you should go for lower pixel response values when shopping for a gaming monitor. Refresh rate, on the other hand is expressed in Hertz (Hz) and refers to the speed of screen redraw. If a monitor has a refresh rate of 60 Hz, the images on its screen are refreshed 60 times every second.
This is not the best refresh rate for gaming applications, though. A slower refresh rate on a gaming monitor will cause the images to appear blurry. As such, it is advisable to opt for the products that have a higher refresh rate.
Our Final Review
With every gaming enthusiast trying to assemble the most powerful gaming PC. While at it, some tend to overlook the importance of a powerful display monitor.
Rather than considering the most important aspects of these products, some gamers just opt for the most affordable option.
However, not all the affordable monitors are suited for gaming applications.
If you are shopping for a gaming monitor, this guide will help you choose the best gaming monitor below $300 in the market.