The use of expandable garden hoses has become increasingly popular over the recent years as they replace standard hoses.
This is perhaps credited to their lightweight nature, ease of use, and less storage space.
Moreover, expandable hoses expand up to 3 times its original length when water is passed through, then retract back when done.
Some of the benefits of the best expandable hoses include a self-draining feature, non-kinking, and non-tangling.
To find one right for you, you ought to understand the differences between the different hose types on the market. Many differences can be brought up when factors such as reputation, weight, durability, and length are considered.
Our expandable garden hose review outlines some of the best models.
Best Expandable Garden Hoses 2019
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Expandable Garden Hoses 2019
- 2 1. Josy & Co. Expandable Garden Hose – Best Overall Expandable Garden Hose
- 3 2. J. Millman and Sons Expandable Garden Hose – Best-Constructed Garden Hose
- 4 3. Grow Green Heavy Duty Garden Hose – Best Heavy Duty Expandable Hose
- 5 4. Pocket Hose Ultra Expandable Hose – Best Residential and Commercial Garden Hose
- 6 5. Joeys Garden Expandable Garden Hose – Best Multipurpose Garden Hose
- 7 6. Ohuhu Expandable Garden Hose – Best Conventional Garden Hose
- 8 7. Get Hosed Expandable Garden Hose – Best Strong Expandable Hose
- 9 8. 1byone Flat Garden Hose – Best Functional Garden Hose
- 10 9. Titan Expanding Garden Hose – Best High Performing Garden Hose
- 11 10. Golden Spearhead Expandable Garden Hose – Best Hose for Pressure Washers
- 12 Things to Consider Before Buying an Expandable Hose
- 13 FAQs About Expandable Garden Hoses
- 14 Our Final Take
|Josy & Co. Expandable Garden Hose|
|J. Millman and Sons Expandable Garden Hose|
|Grow Green Heavy Duty Garden Hose|
|Pocket Hose Ultra Expandable Hose|
|Joeys Garden Expandable Garden Hose|
|Ohuhu Expandable Garden Hose|
|Get Hosed Expandable Garden Hose|
|1byone Flat Garden Hose|
|Titan Expanding Garden Hose|
|Golden Spearhead Expandable Garden Hose|
1. Josy & Co. Expandable Garden Hose – Best Overall Expandable Garden HoseThe Josy & Co. Expandable Garden Hose, from its outer material to its inner aspect, is the best expandable garden hose for a myriad of home activities.
Outside, it is made of 5,000 deniers of woven casing, which protects the inner tubing from punctures and sun damage. Meanwhile, its inner triple latex layer prevents easy bursts and leakage from the hose.
Additionally, it comes with solid brass fittings that are ¾ inches and fits nearly all the standard faucets. It also has a shut-off feature that controls water flow and an 8-pattern sprayer, a hose hanger, and extra washers.
2. J. Millman and Sons Expandable Garden Hose – Best-Constructed Garden HoseThe 50-foot J. Millman and Sons Expandable Garden Hose wins the best-constructed expandable garden hose category owing to its sturdy and overly durable build. Its three-layered latex layers are well designed for utmost strength and longevity.
Likewise, it is also the best retracting hose based on its design. Whereas other models often stretch out with continuous use, this model remains intact. This is because its exterior shell is heavy-duty and protects its core well.
Lastly, the J. Millman and Sons Expandable Garden Hose comes with a handful of add-ons including extra washers and hose hangers.
3. Grow Green Heavy Duty Garden Hose – Best Heavy Duty Expandable HoseThe Grow Green Heavy Duty Garden Hose is a good tool that eases your gardening and lawn watering needs. It is a 50-foot capacity hose with no doubts of kinks, twists, and tangles. Additionally, it is super flexible and easy to store.
Moreover, it measures 17 feet initially and contracts to its original size as soon as the water is turned off. The construction of this expandable garden hose involves a resistant latex interior for ascertained durability, too.
Lastly, it features a heavy-duty spray nozzle with eight adjustable watering patterns, a shut-off valve, storage sack, and a reel hanger.
4. Pocket Hose Ultra Expandable Hose – Best Residential and Commercial Garden HoseWith a maximum length of 75 feet, the Pocket Hose Ultra Expandable Hose is the best expandable garden hose for both commercial and residential uses. It is also three times stronger compared to other garden hoses of the same caliber.
Additionally, it comes with an accordion design, built with a revolutionary dura-rib inner tube and an outer pocket-hose dura-rib hose for ascertained strength. Moreover, it features an amber tip seal with tightly sealed connectors that adds on its strength and durability.
Lastly, it is lightweight, easily fits small spaces, and kink and tangle-resistant.
5. Joeys Garden Expandable Garden Hose – Best Multipurpose Garden HoseThe Joeys Garden Expandable Garden Hose is a heavy-duty garden hose best for multipurpose uses. It features brass connectors, a nozzle, a spray, and valves made of premium materials and fabrics.
Hence, the hose will not easily leak, rust, or crack, providing a longer lasting experience. It is also easy to use. By turning on the faucet, the hose expands up to 50 feet but shrinks down once turned off.
This hose is perfect for watering lawns, washing pets, and cleaning your cars. It is built to work with minimum water pressure of four bars and maximum of eight bars.
6. Ohuhu Expandable Garden Hose – Best Conventional Garden HoseThe Ohuhu Expandable Garden Hose is the perfect choice if you are looking to get some respite from constant winding and unwinding of your garden hose or are tired of lugging long hoses.
It is made of durable double latex interior that ensures the garden hose expands to its maximum length from 17 feet under water pressure. It also doesn’t get tangled, twisted, or kinked when in use.
Additionally, it is easy to carry around, use, and store as it requires minimal space. Moreover, it comes with a high quality spray nozzle with eight adjustable patterns among other bundled accessories.
7. Get Hosed Expandable Garden Hose – Best Strong Expandable HoseIf you are looking for a flexible yet strong hose as standard garden hoses, the Get Hosed Expandable Garden Hose is a great choice. Supporting its strength is its indestructible dual latex inner layer that prevents easy breaks, kinks, or links.
This model is a fifth the weight of a standard hose’s. It is also overly compact and easy to store or travel with. Hence, it is a great tool for use with a boat or RV.
Concerning the hose fittings, it features the best indestructible brass fittings that prevent leaks from connections. It also has a shut-off valve that easily controls water flow, an 8-way sprayer, and two-way Y splitter.
8. 1byone Flat Garden Hose – Best Functional Garden HoseIf you are purely focused on functionality, the 1byone Flat Garden Hose would be the best expandable garden hose to consider. It is super durable, owing to the high-quality polyester exterior make that resists wear and tear.
Additionally, its solid brass 0.5-inch brass connectors, with inner rubber washers, guarantee ultimate water leakage protection and long-term durability. It is also long enough to facilitate all the garden and lawn activities such as watering plants, washing driveways and cars, and cleaning exterior windows.
It comes with a 7-function spray nozzle that is easy to select and a one-year warranty paired with a 30-day money back guarantee.
9. Titan Expanding Garden Hose – Best High Performing Garden HoseThe Titan Expanding Garden Hose is better described as the snake version of a high-performance expandable garden hose with great durability and working strength. Its fully functional design makes it perfect for everyday use.
Moreover, it is amazingly lightweight, considering its 150 feet length. It is also overly flexible, crush-proof, and leak-resistant. Likewise, its hose features durable construction and efficient design for heavy usage.
Furthermore, it features extra solid and heavy-duty brass fittings that are easy to attach and detach. Apart from the 30-day money back guarantee, manufacturers provide a one-year special warranty, too.
10. Golden Spearhead Expandable Garden Hose – Best Hose for Pressure WashersPressure washers are known to deliver exemplary pressures. They are capable of bursting water pipes or garden hoses. The Golden Spearhead Expandable Garden Hose is a good garden hose of choice to use in such cases.
It is lightweight and extra flexible, which makes it easy to attain optimal control, comfort, and much durability. It also expands up to 50 feet with normal water pressure.
Meanwhile, its super strong brass connectors are heat and rust resistant. This minimizes leaks and other resultant problems. Lastly, its ¾-inch shut-off valve makes it easy to control water flow and minimize wastage.
Things to Consider Before Buying an Expandable Hose
There are endless models of expandable garden hoses. Having decided that you will buy an expandable hose over standard hoses, finding the right model requires that you put into consideration some factors.
Outlined below are some of the things to look for as you narrow down to find the best hose for your use.
Type of Hose Materials
Compared to standard hoses, expandable hoses are often blamed for their lack of durability. This issue was true with initial models.
However, with current advancements, there are sturdier materials and more efficient construction techniques that improve the hose’s durability as well as prevent leakage. Some of the common hose materials include:
Latex core – Latex is a common natural rubber material commonly used in making gloves and other protectants. The stretchy nature of latex makes it a good material for expandable hoses, too.
Some expandable hoses have two to three layers of latex in their interior aspect, which allows them to easily expand and contract without leaks. However, note that with the increasing number of layers come inflexibility.
If the outer material is made of heavy and sturdy material, a double-layered latex garden hose can be perfect. Triple layered core hoses can handle heavy water pressure, but they’re less flexible.
TPC core – Lengthily known as thermoplastic copolyester, TPC is a common material used for expandable garden hoses. They are extremely heat-resistant and often used in making industrial tubing. They are also quite durable, even when used as a single layer material.
Compared to latex, TPC is less common as they tend to be pricey. They are also comparably less durable than latex.
Nylon shell – This is the industry standard for an expandable hose’s outer shell fabric. This prevents puncture or sun damage risks to the inner shell. Nylon shell easily contracts and easily sheds water; thus, it is good against mildew and mold issues when stored.
Garden Hose Fittings
Expandable garden hoses offer a myriad of options when it comes to hose fittings. These could be aluminum, brass, or plastic fittings.
Overall, brass is the most commonly used hose fitting material. This is perhaps attributed to brass being overly durable even with constant water exposure. Additionally, brass doesn’t easily rust and the oxide layer that develops over time isn’t harmful to the metal.
Meanwhile, mid-range expandable garden hoses have aluminum fittings that significantly reduces the weight of the hose. Good aluminum hoses ensure that the fitting doesn’t easily bend or dent when connected to the faucet.
On the other hand, plastic hose fittings are slowly being phased out. Their only advantage is being affordable but may require frequent replacement.
Garden hoses can be used for various tasks. If you are looking for something to occasionally to wash your car with, consider a short hose that will be adequate. Similarly, if you are in need of an expandable hose for gardening or lawn activities, find something longer that holds up more stress and more water.
Note that as the length of the hose increase, the risks of puncturing also increases. This explains the reason why most models have triple layers for long hoses with nylon shells.
If you intend to use it with a sprinkler, consider expandable hoses with a shut-off valve. This will make it easy to operate.
Traditionally, hoses are left lying in the lawn or backyard. However, expandable hoses require storage locations due to its nylon cloth exterior. The storage area should have sufficient airflow to enable the hose to dry fully. It should also be covered to prevent sun damage.
Expandable hoses perform well with standard home water pressures. However, if your water pressure is generally low, your hose may not be that effective. Likewise, extremely high water pressures call for high-water pressure rated hoses to prevent bursts.
Manufacturers often provide a warranty as a sign of confidence in the quality of their product. Always go for a product that comes with a long warranty in case of defects.
FAQs About Expandable Garden Hoses
Q: What size of a garden hose should one buy?
Traditional hoses were available as 25 feet, 50 feet, and 100 feet. However, depending on the size of their yards, most people prefer 25 to 50-foot long hoses. This is because longer hoses were heavy and annoying to be lugged around.
Those with large yards required more than one hose joined together with a coupler to reach great distances from the spigot. Expandable hoses, on the other hand, eliminated the need for having short hoses for ease of use.
Expandable hoses length range from 10 to 200 feet. While most people may not require extra-long pieces, choosing longer lengths of hoses isn’t limited by the weight factor. Even with additional length, expandable hoses are not as difficult or heavy to move as their bulky counterparts are.
Q: How long do garden hoses last?
A good hose should last five to 10 years. Unfortunately, due to maintenance issues, many people have to replace their hoses every year. This is both expensive and annoying.
Q: How do I make my hose last long?
To help ensure you avoid rot, cracks, and leaks and prolong the life of your garden hose, here are a few maintenance pointers.
Avoid extra-long hoses
Although an extra-long hose might seem advantageous at first because it can reach all the places you intend, the downside is that it is harder to move around and store. Also, the longer the hose, the easier it is to yank, twist and snag it.
Avoid Using the Spray Nozzle to Drag the Hose
Whenever you drag the hose by the spray nozzle, you weaken the coupling where the hose and the nozzle connect. This contributes heavily to leaks. It is always advisable to pull the hose itself instead of the nozzle.
Ensure You Drain the Hose After Use
To drain the hose, turn off the water at the spigot. Then, turn on the spray nozzle until you have expelled all the water.
In Between Uses, Always Try to Roll Up the Hose
Often, people leave the hose in a pile after use. This creates kinks and is the starting point of cracks and tears. It is advisable always to use a hose reel. If you do not have a hose reel, then you can continuously loop the hose around an empty trash can.
Q: Can You Connect Two Garden Hoses Together?
Yes, you can connect two garden hoses as long as they already have standard fittings. All you have to do is screw the male connector of one hose to the female connector of the other hose. Alternatively, you can purchase the required screw-on connectors.
Q: How Do You Repair Leaks?
Often, a hose will throw a leak just as you are about to use it. Here are the three common types of hose leaks and how to repair them:
First, ensure the area is dry. Then, apply a thin layer of either rubber cement or the kind of glue used in the repair of bicycle inner tubes. Wait until the glue or rubber cement is dry. After that, use a self-fusing silicone rubber tape to wrap the area tightly.
Large and Recurring Leaks
For such leaks, you must purchase a splice repair kit which goes for less than $15. Usually, the kit contains two slip on clamps and a brass connector. Cut the hose’s damaged section and soak each of the cut ends in hot and soapy water. Slip a clamp on one of the cut ends, insert one end of the brass connector, and tighten the clamp. Repeat the process for the other side.
Leaks at The Point Where the Hose Attaches to The Spigot
With this leak, you must first check the coupler. If the rubber washer is missing or damaged, replace it. However, if it is the coupler itself that is damaged, replace that one.
Our Final Take
Expandable garden hoses are ideal gardening tools if you engage in a lot of lawn or garden watering. They are also good for washing homes, vehicles and other hose activities. For effective services, consider an expandable hose that is sturdy, lightweight, has proper fittings, and budget-friendly.
Our expandable garden hose review will help you find the right choice. Besides, the guidelines outlined above provide slight insights on what to consider when searching for the best product.
Have you tried any of the models we’ve mentioned above? If so, which is your favorite model? Share with us below!