The use of expandable garden hoses has become increasingly popular over the recent years as they replace standard hoses.
This is perhaps credited to their lightweight nature, ease of use and takes up less storage space.
Expandable hoses expand up to 3 times its original length when water is passed through and retracts back its original length when done.
Some of the top benefits of expandable hoses include self-draining feature, non-kinking, non-tangling and won’t twist compared to regular hoses.
To find the best expandable garden hose, you ought to understand the differences between the different hose types on the market.
Many differences can be brought up when factors such as reputation, weight, durability and length are considered.
Our expandable garden hose review below outlines some of the best models.
Best Expandable Garden Hoses 2018
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Expandable Garden Hoses 2018
- 2 1. Josy & Co. Expandable Garden Hose – Best Overall Expandable Garden Hose
- 3 2. J. Millman and Sons Expandable Garden Hose – Best-Constructed Garden Hose
- 4 3. Grow Green Heavy Duty Garden Hose – Best Heavy Duty Expandable Hose
- 5 4. Pocket Hose Ultra Expandable Hose – Best Residential and Commercial Garden Hose
- 6 5. Joeys Garden Expandable Garden Hose – Best Multipurpose Garden Hose
- 7 6. Ohuhu Expandable Garden Hose – Best Conventional Garden Hose
- 8 7. Get Hosed Expandable Garden Hose – Best Strong Expandable Hose
- 9 8. 1byone Flat Garden Hose – Best Functional Garden Hose
- 10 9. Titan Expanding Garden Hose – Best High Performing Garden Hose
- 11 10. Golden Spearhead Expandable Garden Hose – Best Hose for Pressure Washers
- 12 Things to Consider Before Buying an Expandable Hose
- 12.1 Type of Hose Materials
- 12.2 Garden Hose Fittings
- 12.3 What Size Garden Hose Should One Buy?
- 12.4 What do you intend to use it for?
- 12.5 Will you be using a sprinkler?
- 12.6 How about the storage?
- 12.7 How is your water pressure?
- 12.8 Does it have a warranty?
- 12.9 How Long Do Garden Hoses Last?
- 12.10 Can You Connect Two Garden Hoses Together?
- 12.11 How Do You Repair Leaks?
- 13 Our Final Review
|Josy & Co. Expandable Garden Hose|
|J. Millman and Sons Expandable Garden Hose|
|Grow Green Heavy Duty Garden Hose|
|Pocket Hose Ultra Expandable Hose|
|Joeys Garden Expandable Garden Hose|
|Ohuhu Expandable Garden Hose|
|Get Hosed Expandable Garden Hose|
|1byone Flat Garden Hose|
|Titan Expanding Garden Hose|
|Golden Spearhead Expandable Garden Hose|
1. Josy & Co. Expandable Garden Hose – Best Overall Expandable Garden HoseThe Josy & Co. Expandable Garden Hose is designed to be the best expandable garden hose present in the market currently. From the outer material to its inner aspect, this is the perfect garden hose for a myriad of home activities.
Josy & Co outer material is made of 5000 deniers woven casing that protects the inner tubing from punctures and sun damage. The inner triple lat.ex layer prevents easy bursts and leakage from the hose.
Note that the Josy & Co. Expandable Garden Hose comes with solid brass fittings are a ¾ inch that fits nearly all the standard faucets. It also has a shut-off feature that controls water flow. The hose also comes with an 8-pattern sprayer, hose hanger, and extra washers.
2. J. Millman and Sons Expandable Garden Hose – Best-Constructed Garden HoseThe J. Millman and Sons Expandable Garden Hose wins the best-constructed expandable garden hose category owing to the sturdy and overly durable build. Its three-layered latex layers are well designed for utmost strength and longevity.
Besides being well constructed, it is the best retracting hose based on its design. Whereas other models often stretch out with continuous use, this model remains intact. The exterior shell is heavy duty and protects its core well.
J. Millman and Sons Expandable Garden Hose also comes with a handful of add-ons including the extra washers, hose hangers among others. Its 50-foot length is a good standard for a majority of garden hoses.
3. Grow Green Heavy Duty Garden Hose – Best Heavy Duty Expandable HoseThe Grow Green Heavy Duty Garden Hose is a good tool that eases your gardening and lawn watering needs. It is a 50-foot capacity hose with no doubts of kinks, twists, and tangles. Additionally, it is super flexible and easy to store.
The hose measures 17 feet initially but stretched to a whopping 50 feet when water is turned on. It contracts to its original size once water is turned off. Due to its flexibility, storage is super convenient and much easier.
Construction of this expandable garden hose involves a resistant latex interior for ascertained durability. It also features a heavy-duty spray nozzle with 8 adjustable watering patterns, a shut-off valve, storage sack and a reel hanger.
4. Pocket Hose Ultra Expandable Hose – Best Residential and Commercial Garden HoseWith a maximum length of 75ft, the Pocket Hose Ultra Expandable Hose is a perfect expandable garden hose for both commercial and residential uses. The hose stretches to 75ft and three times stronger compared to other garden hose of the same caliber.
Also, it comes with an accordion design, built with revolutionary dura rib inner tube and an outer pocket-hose dura rib hose for ascertained strength. It also features an amber tip seal with tightly sealed connectors that adds on its strength and durability.
Not only is the Pocket Hose Ultra Expandable Hose lightweight and easily fits small spaces but also is kink and tangle resistant. This makes it easy to use as the shut-off valves prevent rupturing.
5. Joeys Garden Expandable Garden Hose – Best Multipurpose Garden HoseThe Joeys Garden Expandable Garden Hose is a heavy-duty garden hose best for multipurpose uses. Being a heavy duty tool, it features brass connectors, nozzle, spray and valves made of premium materials and fabrics.
With such materials, the hose will not easily leak, rust or crack, providing a longer lasting experience. It is also easy to use. By turning on the faucet, the hose expands up to 50 feet but shrinks down once turned off.
The hose can be used for various purposes with unprecedented ease. It is perfect for watering lawns, washing pet dogs, cleaning your cars among other applications. It is built to work with minimum water pressure of four bars and maximum of 8 bars.
6. Ohuhu Expandable Garden Hose – Best Conventional Garden HoseThe Ohuhu Expandable Garden Hose is a perfect choice if you are looking to get some respite from constant winding and unwinding of your garden hose. It is a perfect hose for all garden enthusiasts who are tired of lugging long hoses.
This tool is made of durable double latex interior that is responsible for its durability. It also ensures that the garden hose expands to its maximum length from 17ft under water pressure.
The hose doesn’t get tangled, twist or kink when in use. Also, it is easier to carry around, use and store as it requires minimal space. Note that the hose comes with high quality spray nozzle with 8 adjustable patterns among other bundled accessories.
7. Get Hosed Expandable Garden Hose – Best Strong Expandable HoseIf you are looking for a flexible hose yet strong as the standard garden hoses, the Get Hosed Expandable Garden Hose is a perfect choice. Supporting its strength is the indestructible dual latex inner layer that prevents easy breaks, kinks or links.
This model is a fifth the weight of standard hose’s thus easy to move, use and carry around. It is also overly compact and easy to store or travel with. It is a great tool for use with a boat or RV.
Concerning the hose fittings, it features the best indestructible brass fittings that prevent leaks from connections. The design also has a shut-off valve that easily controls water flow. Other accessories include an 8-way sprayer and 2-way Y splitter.
8. 1byone Flat Garden Hose – Best Functional Garden HoseIf you are purely focused on functionality, the 1byone Flat Garden Hose would be the best expandable garden hose to consider. It is super durable, owing to the high-quality polyester exterior make that resists wear and tear.
The solid brass 0.5” brass connectors with an inner rubber washer ascertain durable and ultimate water leakage protection guarantee. It is also long enough to facilitate all the garden and lawn activities such as watering plants, washing driveways, cars and cleaning exterior windows.
The 1byone Flat Garden Hose comes with a 7-function spray nozzle that is easy to select. There is also a one-year warranty and 30-day money back guarantee.
9. Titan Expanding Garden Hose – Best High Performing Garden HoseThe Titan Expanding Garden Hose is better described as the snake version of high-performance expandable garden hose with great durability and working strength. Its fully functional design makes it perfect for everyday use.
The Titan is amazingly lightweight considering its 150ft length. Nonetheless, it is overly flexible and provides for effortless use. Moreover, the hose features durable construction and efficient design that enables it to withstand the heavy usage.
Kinking, twisting or tangling is something you wouldn’t expect from the Titan Expanding Garden Hose. This not only guarantees better performance but also ensures a longer lifespan.
The hose also features extra solid and heavy-duty brass fittings that are easy to attach and detach. They are also crush-proof and leak resistant. Apart from the 30-day money back guarantee, manufacturers provide a one-year special warranty.
10. Golden Spearhead Expandable Garden Hose – Best Hose for Pressure WashersPressure washers are known to deliver exemplary pressures, capable of bursting water pipes or garden hoses. However, the Golden Spearhead Expandable Garden Hose is a perfect garden hose of choice to use in such cases.
The hose is lightweight and extra flexible, which makes it easy to attain optimal control, comfort, and much durability. It also expands up to 50ft with normal water pressure. The super strong brass connectors are heat and rust resistant. This minimizes leaks and other resultant problems.
The ¾” shut-off valve at the end of the hose makes it easy to control water flow and minimize wastage.
Things to Consider Before Buying an Expandable Hose
There are endless models of expandable garden hoses. Having decided that you will buy an expandable hose over standard hoses, finding the right model requires that you put into consideration some factors.
Outlined below are some of the things to look for as you narrow down to find the best hose for your use.
Type of Hose Materials
Compared to standard hoses, expandable hoses are often blamed for their lack durability. This issue was true with initial models.
However, with current advancements, there are sturdy materials and efficient construction techniques that improve the hose’s durability as well as prevents leakage. Some of the common hose materials include:
Latex core – latex is a common natural rubber material commonly used in making gloves and other protectants. The stretchy nature of latex makes it a good material for expandable hoses too.
Some expandable hoses have two to three layers of latex in their interior aspect, which allows it to easily expand and contract without leaks. Note that with increasing number of layers come inflexibility.
If the outer material is made of a heavy and sturdy material, a double-layered latex garden hose can be perfect. Triple layered core hoses can handle heavy water pressure but less flexible.
TPC core – lengthily known as thermoplastic copolyester, TPC is a common material used for expandable garden hoses. They are extremely heat resistant and often used in making industrial tubing. They are also quite durable, even when used as a single layer material.
Compared to latex, TPC is less common as they tend to be pricey. They are also comparably less durable than latex.
Nylon shell – this is the industry standard for expandable hose’s outer shell fabric. This prevents puncture or sun damage risks to the inner shell. Nylon shell easily contracts and easily sheds water thus prevents it against mildew and mold issues when stored.
Garden Hose Fittings
Expandable garden hoses offer a myriad of options when it comes to hose fittings. These could be aluminum, brass or plastic fittings. Overall, brass is the most commonly used hose fitting materials. This is perhaps attributed to brass being overly durable even with constant water exposure.
Additionally, brass doesn’t easily rust and the oxide layer that develops over time isn’t harmful to the metal. Brass is a natural metal that offers great heat-resistant properties compared to plastics.
Mid-range expandable garden hoses have aluminum fittings that significantly reduces the weight of the hose. Good aluminum hoses ensure that the fitting doesn’t easily bend or dent when connected to the faucet.
On the other hand, plastic hose fittings are slowly being phased out. Their only advantage is being affordable but may require frequent replacement.
What Size Garden Hose Should One Buy?
Traditional hoses were available from 25 foot, 50 foot to 100ft. However, depending on the size of their yards, most people prefer 25 – 50ft long hoses. This is because longer hoses were heavy and annoyed when being lugged around.
Those with large yards required more than one hoses joined together with a coupler to reach great distances from the spigot. Expandable hoses, on the other hand, eliminate the need of having short hoses for ease of use.
Expandable hoses length range from 10ft to 200ft. While most people may not require extra-long pieces, choosing longer lengths of hoses isn’t limited by the weight factor. Even with additional length, expandable hoses are not as difficult or heavy to move as their bulky counterparts are.
Having looked at the various features of the expandable garden hose, it’s time to ask yourself some few questions regarding the same. Some of the essential questions you should answer before settling on the right product include:
What do you intend to use it for?
Garden hoses can be used for various tasks. If you are looking for something to use occasionally to wash your car, consider a short hose that will be adequate. Similarly, if you are in need of an expandable hose for gardening or lawn activities, find something longer that holds up more stress and more water.
Note that as the length of the hose increase, the risks of puncturing also increases. This explains the reason why most models have triple layers for long hoses with nylon shells.
Will you be using a sprinkler?
If you intend to use it with a sprinkler, consider expandable hoses with a shut off valve. This will make it easy to operate.
How about the storage?
Traditionally, hoses are left lying in the lawn or backyard. However, expandable hoses require storage locations due to its nylon cloth exterior. The storage area should have sufficient airflow to enable the hose to dry fully. It should also be covered to prevent sun damage.
How is your water pressure?
Expandable hoses perform well with standard home water pressures. However, if your water pressure is generally low, your hose may not be that effective. Extremely high water pressures call for high-water pressure rated hoses to prevent bursts.
Does it have a warranty?
Manufacturers often provide a warranty as a sign of ascertaining the quality of their product. Always go for a product that comes with a long warranty in the case of defects.
How Long Do Garden Hoses Last?
A good hose should last ten to five years. Unfortunately, due to maintenance issues, many people have to replace their hoses every year. This is both expensive and annoying. To help ensure you avoid rot, cracks, and leaks and prolong the life of your garden hose, here are a few maintenance pointers.
Avoid extra-long hoses
Although an extra-long hose might seem advantageous at first because it can reach all the places you intend, the downside is that it is harder to move around and store. Also, the longer the hose, the easier it is to yank, twist and snag it.
If you can, then it is always advisable to go for the 25 foot or 50-foot hose. Try your level best to avoid the 75 foot and 100-foot hose.
Avoid Using the Spray Nozzle to Drag the Hose
Whenever you drag the hose by the spray nozzle, you weaken the coupling where the hose and the nozzle connect. This contributes heavily to leaks. It is always advisable to pull the hose itself instead of the nozzle.
Ensure You Drain the Hose After Use
Note that if you just turn off the water at the spray nozzle, the built-up pressure will not be released. As a result, the hose will stay pressurized for long periods which will, in turn, stretch out the inner tube and increase the chances of leaks.
To drain the hose, first turn off the water at the spigot. Follow this up by turning on the spray nozzle until you have expelled all the water.
In Between Uses, Always Try to Roll Up the Hose
Often, people leave the hose in a pile after use. This creates kinks and is the starting point of cracks and tears. It is advisable always to use a hose reel. If you do not have a hose reel, then you can continuously loop the hose around an empty trash can.
Can You Connect Two Garden Hoses Together?
Yes, you can connect two garden hoses as long as they already have standard fittings. All you have to do is screw the male connector of one hose to the female connector of the other hose.
If your hoses lack standard fittings, then it can be a bit problematic. The solution is purchasing the required screw-on connectors.
How Do You Repair Leaks?
Often, a hose will throw a leak just as you are about to use it. Here are the three common types of hose leaks and how to repair them.
First, ensure the area is dry. Apply a thin layer of either rubber cement or the kind of glue used in the repair of bicycle inner tubes. Wait until the glue or rubber cement is dry and then use a self-fusing silicone rubber tape to wrap the area tightly.
Large and Recurring Leaks
For such leaks, you must purchase a splice repair kit which goes for less than $15. Usually, the kit contains two slip on clamps and a brass connector.
Cut the hose’s damaged section and soak each of the cut ends in hot soapy water. Slip a clamp on one of the cut ends, insert one end of the brass connector and tighten the clamp. Repeat the process for the other side.
Leaks at The Point Where the Hose Attaches to The Spigot
With this leak, you must first check the coupler. If the rubber washer is missing or damaged, then replace it. However, if it is the coupler itself that is damaged, then you must replace it.
Our Final Review
Expandable garden hoses are ideal gardening tools if you engage in a lot of lawn or garden watering. They are also good for washing homes, vehicles and other hose activities.
They are easier to use and doesn’t get kinked up like the traditional hoses. They are also easy to store and lighter to carry around. For effective services, consider an expandable hose that is sturdy, lightweight, has proper fittings and budget friendly.
Our expandable garden hose review above will help you find the right choice. Besides, the guidelines outlined above provide slight insights on what to consider when searching for the best product.
Have you tried any of the models we’ve mentioned above? If so, which is your favorite model? Share with us below!