Electric jacks come in handy when changing tires or undertaking any form of maintenance on your vehicle. Compared to manual jacks, these products are easier to use and a lot safer. They let you lift the front up of a trailer for hitching, unhitching or towing the vehicle with ease.
As the name suggests, electric jacks combine the power of electrical and mechanical energy allowing them to be operated remotely from a safe distance. The advantage of using electrical jacks is that they produce minimal force per turn compared to manual products.
This makes it a stable, safer and quicker option to use in car maintenance. The best electric tongue jack should have a versatile handle, wide base for stability, sturdy construction and design and pocket friendly.
Due to their versatility, electric tongue jacks are available in plenty of designs. Consider our electric tongue jack review below to find the best product on the market.
Best Electric Tongue Jacks 2018
|Husky Super Brute Electric Tongue Jack|
|Bulldog Electric Tongue Jack|
|Jack Quick Electric Tongue Jack|
|Powerbuilt 620484 Electric Tongue Jack|
|RAM Electric Tongue Jack|
1. Husky Super Brute Electric Tongue Jack – Best Overall Electric Tongue JackThe Husky Super Brute Electric Tongue Jack is a feature-packed version of the previous Husky HSB4000 with 5000-pound weight capacity. It is a more efficient jack that uses less power compared to traditional jack drive systems. It uses a unique ball screw design that ascertains quitter performance.
Apart from the 5000-pound weight capacity, the other intriguing feature this tool has is the two-remote use that eases leveling and hitching up. Those who used the previous -HSB4000 version attests that this tool offers new design improvements and features besides the higher capacity version.
The Husky Super Brute Electric Tongue Jack is a workhorse that raises your trailer super easy. As mentioned, it features a 20mm ball screw design that excellently handles raising and lowering of the jack. It causes less friction with better lifting capacity as well as reduces amperage draw and motor tear.
The Smart Stop feature available in the remote control electronically stops the jack when full retraction or full extension is reached. This prevents the common damage associated with drive mechanisms caused by letting the jack run too long.
The two remote controls allow you to extend and retract the jack without necessarily being next to the jack. You can adjust the jack while checking how level your trailer is from inside. Regardless of your position, you don’t have to be stuck near the jack like traditional models.
For all-weather use, the Husky Super Brute Electric Tongue Jack comes with weather-protected switches. The three LED nightlight source also makes it easy to use the product at night. Besides, the power connector holder comes in handy in providing a storage space for the cord when not in use.
When placed under a full load, the Husky Super Brute Electric Tongue Jack extends by 6” in one minute. It can also retract at the same speed. An additional advantage of this jack is that it comes with a manual hand crank that can be of help when the electric motor loses power or stops working.
2. Bulldog Electric Tongue Jack – Most Versatile Electric Tongue JackIf you are looking for a versatile electric jack, you can’t go wrong with the Bulldog Electric Tongue Jack. Unless you need a jack to use in a 5000-pound trailer or excessive remote functionalities, this should be a perfect choice for long warranties.
Unlike the Husky jack, this model uses a traditional screw drive mechanism that uses less battery power and less friction. However, it comes with a manual hand crank that steps in when the electric motor system loses power.
The Bulldog Electric Tongue Jack’s design allows the user to face the jack head in two different configurations. The directions can face either forward or to the side, especially if you need more clearance behind the jack’s head.
You will also like the plunger pin system that provides for a simple and quick drop leg adjustment. This is far much superior to the pin and clip system commonly used by other jacks, which involves typically removing the pin clip and pin to adjust the leg height.
With this system, you simply pull back the spring U-shaped release pin and hold it out to adjust the drop leg to whatever height you want. You can then let go the release pin once the drop leg is in the desired position.
3. Jack Quick Electric Tongue Jack – Best Electric Tongue Jack on a BudgetThe Jack Quick Electric Tongue Jack is a decent trailer jack for those looking to upgrade to an electric jack but cares less of the extra features. This model comes with similar features as other high-end electric jacks but at an affordable price.
Compared to other jacks, this model has the lightest lift capacity of only 3650lbs. Rising and dropping of the drop leg is also quite slow. Therefore, if you need a faster or speedier operation, other electric jack options would be better.
When it comes to back-ups, the Jack Quick Electric Tongue Jack comes with a manual hand crank for use in case the electric motor stops working or loses power. This prevents chances of being stranded due to electrical failures.
Intriguing features of the Jack Quick Electric Tongue Jack include;
- Water resistant electrical components
- Hardened steel gears
- Manual hand crank that provides an alternative to electric use
- 5” drop leg that allows up to 23” travel adjustment
- 18” initial travel
- 3650-pound lift capacity
4. Powerbuilt 620484 Electric Tongue Jack – Most Powerful Electric JackThe Powerbuilt 620484 Electric Tongue Jack is a dual function jack available in multiple configurations. This jack comes in handy in preventing interfered road trips. Like other electric jacks, this model comes with intriguing features that facilitate its functionality.
As the name suggests, it is a powerful electric jack with a load capacity of up to 1 ton. This capacity makes this jack suitable for the needs of all vehicles. Despite appearing small, this jack can lift vehicles up to 14 inches high, providing the needed clearance for changing a car wheel.
Operating the Powerbuilt 620484 Electric Tongue Jack is quite simple. To use the jack, all you need to do is connect it with your car’s 12V DC power supply and press the ON button. An additional control button enables users to toggle between up and down directions.
Outlined below are some of the key features of the Powerbuilt 620484 Electric Tongue Jack.
- Features inflating needles thus can be used in sporting equipment such as bicycles and balls.
- Compact design makes it portable and storage in the car trunk.
- Sleek and compact design enhances its classy look
- Has an associated handle for easy handling
- Has a pressure gauge that allows for easy, precise inflation of tires.
5. RAM Electric Tongue Jack – Best Electric Jack for the PriceThe RAM Electric Tongue Jack is a perfect jack of choice for anyone looking for affordability in a quality and well-made product. RAM is among the few well-known retailers for custom towing products and accessories.
Like other extensive range of vehicle accessories from RAM including the performance chips, cargo carriers, and trailer parts, the RAM Electric Tongue Jack is feature-packed and won’t disappoint when called to task.
This jack is a perfect combination of power and affordability. It features bright LED nightlights for ease of use during low light conditions and at night. It also comes with a 7.5-inch drop leg that provides additional adjustment.
This jack’s sturdy and durable design is provided by the hardened steel make. This guarantees a long lasting use of gears. The manual override option provided by this electric jack provides a good option in case loss of power.
Things to Consider Before Buying an Electric Tongue Jack
Electric jacks combine the power of electrical and mechanical energy to ease hitching. It is a safer option compared to the manual jacks as they can be used remotely from a safe distance.
When it comes to selecting the best electric tongue jack, there are various factors to consider. This will help you find the best product suiting your needs. Some of these factors include:
Electric Jack Style
Electric jacks are available in different styles. The styles include;
- Bottle jack – bottle jacks resemble a milk bottle, perhaps the reason behind its name. These jacks are used to raise and lower various vehicles in automotive industries, cable slicers, stretcher lifts and in warehouses. Its design feature vertical shafts and lifting platform on the top that carries the weight of the vehicle. The lifting capabilities of these jacks range between four to fifty tons thus ideal for small vehicles and motorbikes.
- Floor jack – unlike bottle jacks, floor jacks use castor wheels to ease movements. They are powerful and can lift heavier loads thus ideal for trucks, SUVs and other large vehicles.
- Trailer jacks – these jacks are designed specifically for large vehicles. They work by lowering trailers through its coupler or tongue. They are a great choice for stabilizing trailers for loading or offloading purposes.
Bearing this in mind, it is important to consider a type of jack that suits your vehicle before settling on one type. Using the wrong jack may cause damage to your vehicle and the jack itself.
Electric Jack Price
The cost of an electric tongue jack varies depending on various factors. Most jacks cost range from $150 to $300 in the retail market. An expensive jack often guarantees extra features such as stand and inflatable pump.
On the other hand, cheap products may get the job done but do not include extras or useful features that make the whole process easier. These products could also be made of less-durable materials that may not last long compared to expensive models.
Design and Construction
With advancing technology, most electrical jacks come with intriguing designs making them easier to use. Some of the best-designed jacks feature an operating handle that makes it easier to use the jack.
Other modern designs feature a tire iron, making them incredibly convenient for emergencies when the jack handle gets damaged or is missing. Also regarding the design, go for a product that has a wide base that makes the jack solid and stable.
This prevents the jack from common problems such as shifting or sinking when in use. The other design feature to look out for is the position stop. Often found in high-end jacks, this feature prevents the jack from pushing beyond its height or capacity.
Ease of use
Ease of installing an electric jack hugely depends on the brand, the type and what it is being used for. Most standard jacks come with how-to-guide installation guide. This makes it easy to install, taking only less than 15 minutes.
Electric jacks often get dirty, perhaps due to oil and dirt combination when being used. However, worry not as cleaning this equipment is incredibly easy. Simply spray them with hot water mixed with an effective household cleaner.
Electric jacks, though not required in a daily basis, are overly important for their specific tasks. It is due to this that finding the best product shouldn’t be an option.
The best electric tongue jack should offer solid services, solid design and of the right size. You should also consider one that suits your budget but doesn’t compromise on the features.
Our electric tongue jack review will surely help you in finding a good product to purchase. Familiarise yourself with some of the factors to consider from our buyers guide before setting out to purchase one.
From the models and brands mentioned above, which one is your favorite? Share with us in the comments section below!