Electric jacks come in handy when changing tires or undertaking any form of maintenance on your vehicle.
Compared to manual jacks, these products are easier to use and are a lot safer. They let you lift the front up of a trailer for hitching, unhitching or towing the vehicle with ease.
As the name suggests, electric jacks combine the power of electrical and mechanical energy allowing them to be operated remotely from a safe distance (Source).
The advantage of using electrical jacks is that they produce minimal force per turn compared to manual products.
This makes it a stable, safer, and quicker option to use in car maintenance. The best electric tongue jack should be pocket-friendly, have a versatile handle, a wide base for stability, and sturdy construction and design.
Using tongue jacks helps to lift the front up of a trailer for hitching, unhitching or towing the vehicle with ease.
Would you like to repair or service your vehicle at home? Buying the best car ramps helps to raise it a few inches above the ground making it easier for you.
What is a Power Tongue Jack?
Table of Contents
- 1 What is a Power Tongue Jack?
- 2 What is the Best Electric Tongue Jack?
- 3 Comparing The Best Electric Tongue Jacks
- 4 1. Husky Super Brute Electric Tongue Jack – Best Overall
- 5 2. Bulldog Electric Tongue Jack – Most Versatile Electric Tongue Jack
- 6 3. Jack Quick Electric Tongue Jack – Best Electric Tongue Jack on a Budget
- 7 4. Powerbuilt 620484 Electric Tongue Jack – Most Powerful Electric Jack
- 8 5. RAM Electric Tongue Jack – Best Electric Jack for the Price
- 9 6. Libra 3500 lbs Power A-Frame Tongue Jack – Best All-Included A-Frame Kit
- 10 7. RecPro RV Electric Tongue Jack 3500 lb Capacity – Slim Profile and Full Casing
- 11 8. Barker 32454 VIP 3500 lb Power Jack
- 12 9. Stromberg Carlson Black JET-3755 3500 lb Electric Tongue Jack – Reliable Brand and Warranty
- 13 10. Atwood 81067 3,000 lb Power Jack with Robofoot – Latest Technology in an Electric Tongue Jack
- 14 How Do You Install an Electric Tongue Jack?
- 15 Things to Consider Before Buying an Electric Tongue Jack
- 16 FAQs About Electric Tongue Jacks
- 17 Ready To Buy The Best Electric Tongue Jack?
A power tongue jack is a tongue jack that is powered by electricity to lift a trailer of a given weight a certain amount. Power tongue jacks come in several styles with different modes of action, weight limits, and lift heights.
Some powered or electric tongue jacks also contain convenience features, such as automatic stops, lighting, fuse storage, or an optional manual crank. If you prefer traditional jacks to lift your car, see our review of 6 ton jack stands.
Powered jacks need to be wired into the vehicle, trailer, or battery. These options may be outlined in the product manual provided. Instructional videos are also often offered online.
What is the Best Electric Tongue Jack?
The best electric tongue jack is the Husky HB4500 Brute Power Jack. This power tongue jack can lift up to 4,500 pounds. This product is tough and has an 18-inch full stroke and a 6-inch adjustable leg. For a full review, see our top-rated product below.
In addition to these basic specs, the Husky HB4500 Brute is weather-resistant. It features a 3-sided LED to illuminate the hitch and spring bar, even in complete darkness. This jack also features a rare 30A fuse and in-line fuse holder.
The Husky HB4500 Brute has a lift speed of 10 inches in less than 40 seconds. This power jack also includes a sensor-aided stop that slows down the motor when the jack reaches its full lift potential. This can prevent excess wear on the motor and parts from the hard mechanical stops other lifts have.
Comparing The Best Electric Tongue Jacks
|Husky Super Brute Electric Tongue Jack|
|Bulldog Electric Tongue Jack|
|Jack Quick Electric Tongue Jack|
|Powerbuilt 620484 Electric Tongue Jack|
|RAM Electric Tongue Jack|
|Libra 3500 lbs Power A-Frame Tongue Jack|
|RecPro RV Electric Tongue Jack 3500 lb Capacity|
|Barker 32454 VIP 3500 lb Power Jack|
|Stromberg Carlson Black JET-3755 3500 lb Electric Tongue Jack|
|Atwood 81067 3,000 lb Power Jack with Robofoot|
1. Husky Super Brute Electric Tongue Jack – Best OverallThe Husky Super Brute Electric Tongue Jack is a feature-packed version of the previous Husky HSB4000 with 5000-pound weight capacity. It is a more efficient jack that uses less power compared to traditional jack drive systems. Notably, it uses a unique ball screw design that ascertains quieter performance.
Apart from the 5000-pound weight capacity, this tool has a two-remote use that eases leveling and hitching up. Those who used the previous -HSB4000 version attests that this tool offers new design improvements and features.
The Husky Super Brute Electric Tongue Jack is a workhorse that raises your trailer easily. As mentioned, it features a 20mm ball screw design that excellently handles raising and lowering of the jack. It causes less friction with better lifting capacity as well as reduces amperage draw and motor tear.
Moreover, the Smart Stop feature available in the remote control electronically stops the jack when full retraction or full extension is reached. This prevents the common damage associated with drive mechanisms caused by letting the jack run too long.
The two remote controls allow you to extend and retract the jack without necessarily being next to the jack, too. Hence, you can adjust the jack while checking how level your trailer is from inside. You don’t have to be stuck near the jack like traditional models.
More On The Husky Super Brute
For all-weather use, this heavy-duty electric trailer jack comes with weather-protected switches as well. The three-LED nightlight source also makes it easy to use at night. Besides, the power connector holder comes in handy in providing storage space for the cord when not in use.
When placed under a full load, the Husky Super Brute Electric Tongue Jack extends by 6 inches in one minute. It can also retract at the same speed.
Additionally, this jack comes with a manual hand crank that can be of help when the electric motor loses power or stops working.
2. Bulldog Electric Tongue Jack – Most Versatile Electric Tongue JackIf you are looking for a versatile electric jack, you can’t go wrong with the Bulldog Electric Tongue Jack. Unless you need a jack to use in a 5000-pound trailer or excessive remote functionalities, this should be a perfect choice for long warranties.
Unlike the Husky jack, this model uses a traditional screw drive mechanism that uses less battery power and less friction. However, it comes with a manual hand crank that steps in when the electric motor system loses power.
The Bulldog Electric Tongue Jack’s design allows the user to face the jack head in two different configurations. The directions can face either forward or to the side, especially if you need more clearance behind the jack’s head.
You will also like the plunger pin system that provides for a simple and quick drop leg adjustment. This is far much superior to the pin and clip system commonly used by other jacks, which involves typically removing the pin clip and pin to adjust the leg height.
With this system, you simply pull back the spring U-shaped release pin and hold it out to adjust the drop leg to whatever height you want. You can then let go the release pin once the drop leg is in the desired position.
3. Jack Quick Electric Tongue Jack – Best Electric Tongue Jack on a BudgetThe Jack Quick Electric Tongue Jack is a decent trailer jack for those looking to upgrade to an electric jack but cares less of the extra features. This model comes with similar features as other high-end electric jacks but at an affordable price.
Compared to other jacks, this model has the lightest lift capacity of only 3650lbs. Rising and dropping of the drop leg is also quite slow. Therefore, if you need a faster or speedier operation, other electric jack options would be better.
However, when it comes to back-ups, the Jack Quick Electric Tongue Jack comes with a manual hand crank for use in case the electric motor stops working or loses power. This prevents the chances of being stranded due to electrical failures.
Other intriguing features of the Jack Quick Electric Tongue Jack include:
- Water resistant electrical components
- Hardened steel gears
- Manual hand crank that provides an alternative to electric use
- 5-inch drop leg that allows up to 23 inches of travel adjustment
- 18-inch initial travel
- 3650-pound lift capacity
4. Powerbuilt 620484 Electric Tongue Jack – Most Powerful Electric JackThe Powerbuilt 620484 Electric Tongue Jack is a dual function jack available in multiple configurations. This jack comes in handy in preventing interfered road trips. Like other electric jacks, this model comes with intriguing features that facilitate its functionality.
As the name suggests, it is a powerful electric jack with a load capacity of up to 1 ton. This capacity makes this jack suitable for the needs of all vehicles. It can lift vehicles up to 14 inches high, providing the needed clearance for changing a car wheel.
Additionally, operating this electric jack is quite simple. All you need to do is connect it with your car’s 12V DC power supply and press the ON button. An additional control button enables users to toggle between up and down directions.
Outlined below are some of the key features of the Powerbuilt 620484 Electric Tongue Jack.
- Features inflating needles; hence, it can be used in sporting equipment such as bicycles and balls
- Compact and portable
- Storable in the car trunk
- Sleek and classy with its look
- Has an associated handle for easy handling
- Has a pressure gauge that allows for easy and precise inflation of tires
5. RAM Electric Tongue Jack – Best Electric Jack for the PriceThe RAM Electric Tongue Jack is a perfect jack of choice for anyone looking for affordability in a quality and well-made product. RAM is among the few well-known retailers for custom towing products and accessories.
Like other extensive range of vehicle accessories from RAM including the performance chips, cargo carriers, and trailer parts, the RAM Electric Tongue Jack is feature-packed and won’t disappoint when called to task.
This jack is a perfect combination of power and affordability. It features bright LED nightlights for ease of use during low light conditions and at night. It also comes with a 7.5-inch drop leg that provides additional adjustment.
Furthermore, its sturdy and durable design is of hardened steel make. This guarantees a long-lasting use of gears.
Lastly, it has a manual override option, too.
6. Libra 3500 lbs Power A-Frame Tongue Jack – Best All-Included A-Frame Kit
This 3500 lb capacity Libra Electric Tongue Jack is built for convenience. It’s quiet, sturdy, rust-resistant, and comes with nearly any hardware or wiring supplies you will need.
If you have an A-frame setup and are worried about being able to install an electric tongue jack, Libra has come up with this kit to ease those worries. It includes full mounting hardware for a standard A-frame, extra stainless steel screws and bolts, and a 55” power cable.
7. RecPro RV Electric Tongue Jack 3500 lb Capacity – Slim Profile and Full Casing
This 12-volt electric tongue jack can list up to 3,500 pounds. It has full plastic housing for the switches and other non-metal and exposed parts. The upper part of the jack has easy to press toggle switches and a wide LED light panel to illuminate your entire work area.
In case you are even in a tough spot, this powered tongue jack also comes with a crank handle for emergency use. Then jack is also only 23 lbs and less than 5 inches wide.
If you want a power jack that lasts a long time, has a speedy and quiet lift, and that is backed by a two-year warranty, you’ll want to take a look at the Barker 32454 VIP.
This electric tongue jack has just about any feature you could ask for in a powered jack of this type and this price range. First, the jack has a ball screw mechanism. This means quieter operation and a faster than average lift time. It also means there will be less friction on the lift mechanism in total.
The Barker 32454 VIP also includes a built-in level to help you determine placement and stability that could make a big difference on higher lifts. There is also a built-in light meant to illuminate the work area in dark or low-light conditions.
This powered tongue jack from Barker also includes a crank-thru head. The product itself is weather-resistant and includes a limiter switch and sensor.
9. Stromberg Carlson Black JET-3755 3500 lb Electric Tongue Jack – Reliable Brand and Warranty
This tongue jack is cable of lifting 3,500 lbs. It comes with a limited 2-year warranty on all parts. The outer tube is reinforced and thicker than most.
Additional features include 2 separate LED lights for work area illumination. This powered tongue jack also includes an emergency crank-thru socket as well as the ability to bolt or weld the jack to your trailer, camper, or another vehicle.
The top of this Stromberg Carlson jack includes a protected bubble level to help you equalize your jack. The gears providing the lift mechanism are also protected by a built-in clutch. Everything except the footplate is weather-proofed. The switch area is protected by vacuum-formed plastic.
Overall this jack is 23” tall when not extended. The drop leg is 5” and the total lift is 24”. The footplate is just over 5 inches in diameter and zinc-plated to improve durability.
10. Atwood 81067 3,000 lb Power Jack with Robofoot – Latest Technology in an Electric Tongue Jack
Atwood power jacks almost all come with some sort of proprietary feature. In the case of the Atwood 81067 electric tongue jack, that feature is a Robofoot.
Instead of the typical round footplate, with or without drainage holes, the Atwood 81067’s Robofoot can help automatically adjust and level this power jack.
This power jack can handle up to 3,000 pounds. It includes a manual crank feature, though the crank itself is sold separately.
Atwood offers the longest warranty on its products of all the brands reviewed here with five years of coverage. Their products are also permanently lubricated and sealed to make them that much easier to use and shave time from your maintenance routine.
How Do You Install an Electric Tongue Jack?
An electric tongue jack installs in the same bracket at the original jack on your trailer or vehicle. If your trailer or vehicle hasn’t had a jack installed, you may need to install a tongue bracket first.
Some electric tongue jacks come with all the hardware you need to fit the powered tongue jack onto the tongue of your trailer or vehicle.
Once the jack has been installed, you need to wire it for the powered lift to work. There are three main ways to wire an electric tongue jack.
You can attach it to an external battery. You can wire the power jack into the trailer if the trailer is already capable of supplying power. You can also wire it to the towing vehicle.
Things to Consider Before Buying an Electric Tongue Jack
Electric jacks combine the power of electrical and mechanical energy to ease hitching. It is a safer option compared to the manual jacks as they can be used remotely from a safe distance.
When it comes to selecting the best electric tongue jack, there are various factors to consider. This will help you find the best product suiting your needs. Some of these factors include:
Electric Jack Style
Electric jacks are available in different styles. The styles include;
- Bottle jack – bottle jacks resemble a milk bottle. These jacks are used to raise and lower various vehicles in automotive industries, and cable slicers and stretcher lifts in warehouses. Its design feature vertical shafts and lifting platform on the top that carries the weight of the vehicle. The lifting capabilities of these jacks range between four to 50 tons.
- Floor jack – unlike bottle jacks, floor jacks use castor wheels to ease movements. They are powerful and can lift heavier loads. They are ideal for trucks, SUVs, and other large vehicles.
- Trailer jacks – these jacks are designed specifically for large vehicles. They work by lowering trailers through its coupler or tongue. They are a great choice for stabilizing trailers for loading or offloading purposes.
Bearing this in mind, it is important to consider a type of jack that suits your vehicle before settling on one type. Using the wrong jack may cause damage to your vehicle and the jack itself.
Electric Jack Price
The cost of an electric tongue jack varies depending on various factors. Most jacks cost from $150 to $300 in the retail market. An expensive jack often guarantees extra features such as a stand and an inflatable pump.
On the other hand, cheap products may get the job done but do not include extras or useful features that make the whole process easier. These products could also be made of less-durable materials that may not last long compared to higher-priced models, too.
Design and Construction
With advancing technology, most electrical jacks come with intriguing designs. Some of the best-designed jacks feature an operating handle that makes it easier to use the jack.
Other modern designs feature a tire iron, which is convenient for emergencies when the jack handle gets damaged or is missing.
Regarding design, go for a product that has a wide base that makes the jack solid and stable. This prevents the jack from shifting or sinking when in use.
Lastly, take note of the position stop. Often found in high-end jacks, this feature prevents the jack from pushing beyond its height or capacity.
Ease of use
Ease of installing an electric jack hugely depends on the brand, the type, and what it is being used for. Most standard jacks come with how-to-guides.
On the other hand, electric jacks often get dirty due to oil and dirt. However, cleaning this equipment is incredibly easy. Simply spray them with hot water mixed with an effective household cleaner.
FAQs About Electric Tongue Jacks
Q: What Is a Tongue Jack and How Does It Work?
A tongue jack is also known as a hitch jack or trailer jack. Tongue jacks raise and stabilize a trailer to allow attachment to the towing vehicle.
While most cars come with a jack, when you need to hitch something big like a boat onto the back of your truck, a standard jack will not suffice. It cannot lift something the size of a boat, RV, or camper.
The tongue is the long beam at the front which extends and connects to the towing vehicle. Once you secure the jack to the beam, it will extend downward towards the ground where it has a metal base or wheel for support.
Q: How Do You Use a Tongue Jack?
- First, release the pin contained in the jack so that the base drops down to the ground.
- Follow this up by using the jack to raise the trailer to an elevated position.
- Move your vehicle slowly until it lines up with the trailer’s tongue.
- Crank the jack down and let the trailer seat over the hitch.
- Finally, connect the trailer to the towing vehicle using the jack.
Q: What Are the Benefits of Using an Electric Tongue Jack Over a Manual One?
A manual tongue jack has a geared mechanism operated by a hand crank. That means you have to crank the trailer up and down. On the other hand, electric jacks connect to a power source, usually the car’s battery, and they lower and lift themselves.
There are two key benefits of using an electric hitch jack over a manual one.
One, using an electric jack is not time-consuming. That means you get a chance to quickly hitch your trailer. Second, using an electric jack is not physically taxing. This is because the jack lifts and lowers itself and you do not need to do any cranking.
The downside is that they are usually more expensive than manual jacks. However, they are perfect for heavy things such as boats.
One thing you should be aware of is over time you will face problems in your motor vehicle. Repairing and maintenance is an ongoing process. The best electric tongue jacks come handy while changing tires or undertaking any form of maintenance.
Q: What Is the Right Trailer Weight Capacity and Height?
Regarding weight, you need to know beforehand how much you will be carrying. That is because the jack needs to be strong enough to lift what you will be towing.
Some jacks can support an 800-pound mini-trailer while others can support 5000 pounds or more. If you are unsure of your weight capacity, then be cautious and select a jack that supports more weight than you would probably need.
On the other hand, when it comes to height, the key thing to remember is that when extended, the jack has to lift your coupler high enough to ensure it clears the hitch ball on the vehicle.
Additionally, it has to reach the ground or pavement. If it does not, it will not do you any good. Moreover, when retracted, the jack has to clear the ground when traveling.
Ready To Buy The Best Electric Tongue Jack?
Electric jacks, though not required on a daily basis, are overly important for their specific tasks. It is due to this that finding the best product shouldn’t be an option.
The best electric tongue jack should offer solid services, solid design, and be of the right size. You should also consider one that suits your budget but doesn’t compromise on the features.
Our electric tongue jack review will help you in finding a good product to purchase. Familiarize yourself with some of the factors to consider from our buyer’s guide before setting out to purchase one.
From the models and brands mentioned above, which one is your favorite? Share with us in the comments section below!
If you are looking for tire safety you should consider buying the right TPMS tools. Using a TPMS helps to maintain good tire health, fuel efficiency, and improve vehicle safety.