144Hz monitors for gaming, also known as 144Hz gaming monitors, or gaming displays, are a high-end type of computer monitor capable of drawing 144 new images on the screen every second. The best 144Hz monitor for gaming will deliver ultra-smooth action, will have plenty of input options, and will feature a 1ms response time.
Monitors are able to create the illusion of motion by drawing new still images on the screen many times per second. Standard monitors do this 60 times per second, or at 60hz, where 144hz monitors for gaming are able to draw pictures on the screen over twice as fast, totaling 144 new images every second (Source).
The more images a monitor is able to display per second increase the perceived smoothness of a videogame. It’s important to note, however, that even if you have a 144Hz monitor for gaming, you won’t be able to see the full capability of the display, unless you have a video card that is capable of generating at least 144 FPS (Frames Per Second) (Source).
There are a lot of points to consider when looking for a 144Hz monitor for gaming. Things like response time, contrast ratio, pixel aspect ratios, inputs, and color gamut are important. Before you buy a 144Hz monitor for gaming, consider its price, warranty, viewing angles, and brightness. It’s also important to check out how long the warranty is.
In this article, we will examine all the top 144Hz monitors for gaming in great detail. All of the monitors listed here will deliver a silky-smooth viewing experience, whether you are playing games all night, or watching high frame rate YouTube videos.
Why Is 144hz Monitor Better Than 60hz For gaming?
If you have been using a 60hz monitor for occasional gaming till now, then the chances are that you are missing the real fun. While 60hz is not bad, but it does not give you an immersive experience like a 144hz monitor.
Imagine yourself indulging in a multiplayer first-person shooter game with a 60hz monitor. An enemy, having 144hz monitor, approaches you from the front, trying to use his assault rifle to gun you down. Despite your expert skills, you miss calibrating the timing of his attack towards you.
Just because of the refresh rate difference, the enemy player is a couple of milliseconds faster than you. In competitive gaming, every millisecond matters. Without a decent refresh rate with reduced input lag to support your gaming, you might not show your full potential.
For the best experience, you cannot just rely on a high-end GPU for providing you fluid gameplays. It would help if you had a supporting gaming monitor to give it the platform to render those high graphics as well.
Furthermore, it also ensures that you have higher color precision in the game you are playing.
Comparing Top 10 Best & Cheapest 144 Hz Monitors
1. ASUS VG248QE 24″ Full HD 1920 x 1080 144 Hz 1 ms HDMI Gaming Monitor – Best Overall
So, what exactly makes this monitor stand out from its competitors? All monitors are designed to display whatever you are doing on the computer, right? The VG248QE excels, in this regard, by allowing you to expand your visual horizon.
You will also love the level of connectivity offered by this unit. In this regard, it features HDMI, DisplayPort, and Dual-link DVI ports. This being the case, you can easily connect your computer and gaming console to this monitor at the same time.
The product depicts one of the most innovative technologies today, featuring an ergonomic stand with a tilt, height adjustment, swivel and pivot.
- Offers a 144 Hz refresh rate, with a 1 ms response time
- Features a unique GamePlus hotkey
- Has a timer and crosshair overlays on the hotkey
- Delivers ultra-smooth action
- Offers a comfortable viewing experience
- Features an ergonomic tilt, height adjustment and swivel pivot
- Equipped with ergonomic tilt
- Comes with Dual-link DVI-D, DisplayPort and HDMI ports
- The in-built speakers are of low quality
2. Acer GN246HL Bbid 24-Inch 3D Gaming Display – The Best Eco-Friendly 144 Hz Monitor
The sleek features a 24-inch widescreen with a maximum resolution of 1920 x 1080. As such, the product is renowned for delivering excellent details. Such aspects make the GN246HL ideal for widescreen HD gaming as well as for productivity and multimedia applications.
While you may be focusing all your attention on the features and resolution of the monitor, you also need to buy a product that is efficient on energy. In this regard, this monitor complies with ENERGY STAR requirements. Featuring a mercury-free LED backlight; this monitor will save power by up to 68 percent.
- Has an energy efficiency of about 68 percent
- Equipped with NVIDIA 3D lightboost and Vision ready
- Boasts of a response time of 1 ms
- Offers a resolution of 1920 x 1080
- Features a mercury-free LED backlight
- Ideal for HD gaming, productivity and multimedia applications
- Supports VGA, 1 x DVI, AND 1 x HDMI signal inputs
- Its settings menu is comparatively hard to navigate and the screen may be too bright
3. ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278QR 27″ 2560 x 1440 1 ms G-SYNC Eye Care Gaming Monitor – The Best Monitor for Tear-Free Gaming
To enable you to have the best tear-free gaming experience, this monitor is equipped with NVIDIA G-SYNC display technology. As such, the monitor is renowned for delivering some of the fastest and smoothest gaming performance today.
The G-SYNC on this monitor is designed to synchronize the refresh rate of the monitor to your GeForce GTX-powered PC GPU. By so doing, the manufacturer has been able to do away with screen tearing. This, in turn, has reduced the input lag and display shutter in this monitor.
Besides a gaming monitor choosing the right headphones is difficult for beginners. If you are starting out, buy the best gaming headsets for an amazing gaming experience.
With regards to connectivity, the PG278QR is a bit flexible, featuring HDMI and two DisplayPort ports. Additionally, the unit has two USB ports.
- A wide, 27″ WQHD screen with a 2560 x 1440 p resolution
- Offers a response time of 1 ms
- Features NVIDIA G-SYNC
- Features ASUS Eye Care Technology
- Has appealing game-grade ergonomics
- Flicker and tear free gaming experience
- Equipped with two USB, HDMI and two DisplayPort ports
- You may experience a backlight bleed and orange glow with this model
4. AOC G2460PF 24” Gaming Monitor – The Best 144 Hz Wall Mountable Monitor
As one of the best 144 Hz monitors in the market today, it features AMD FreeSync Technology. This feature is specifically designed to minimize tearing and shuttering on the monitor. As such, this AOC will offer you one of the best shutter-free gaming experiences today.
By synchronizing the GPU with the monitor refresh rate, this feature ensures that frames are only displayed when ready. By so doing, the monitor also ensures that you get some of the fastest frame rates in the industry today.
In addition to the aesthetically appealing monitor, the package includes everything you need to install it. As such, every purchase will come with horizontal direct-insert connectors, a 100 mm VESA wall mount compliant, eSaver Software by AOC, a Kensington Security Slot and i-Menu Software.
- Offers a 24-inch, TN panel Full HD display at a resolution of 1920 x 1080
- Features AMD FreeSync technology
- Offers a seamless gaming experience
- Wall mountable
- Features in-built speakers
- Allows for swivel and height adjustments
- Supports HDMI w/MHL, DVI, VGA, USB, Headphone Jack and USB Hub connectivity
- Boasts of a 1 ms response time
- Color correction is a bit low for this monitor
5. Acer Predator XB241H bmipr 24-inch Full HD Display – The Best Twisted Nematic Films Panel 144 Hz Monitor
For enhanced performance and exceptional display characteristics, this product is equipped with NVIDIA G-SYNC technology. This goes a long way in minimizing tearing on the screen as you play.
This feature, coupled with the built-in eye protection on this unit make it more friendlily to the eyes. This way you can play games for hours without getting fatigued. The Acer ErgoStand used on this monitor allows you to swivel, tilt, pivot and adjust the height of this product.
- It is wall Mountable using VESA mounting
- The Acer ErgoStand allows for height, swivel and tilt adjustments
- Offers a 24-inch Twisted Nematic Film (TN) panel display
- Equipped with a Display Port and HDMI ports
- Allows you to adjust the height, up to 5.91 inches
- Features 2W in-built speakers
- You may experience some G-SYNC flicker on this monitor
6. LG 34UC79G-B 34-Inch 21:9 Curved UltraWide IPS Gaming Monitor – The Best Ultra-Wide 144 Hz Monitor
To begin with, you will love the Full HD 34-inch curved IPS panel display offered by this monitor. Yes, the display is just that large and offers a dynamic field of view. Having been designed for gaming applications, this product features both basic and advanced gaming features.
For instance, it is fitted with a Crosshair feature. As such, it will be possible for you to position the striking point right in the middle of the display. This will enhance your firing accuracy significantly while you are playing games on this ultra-wide screen. Additionally, this monitor allows you to easily optimize the settings and activate Black Stabilizer.
- Features Dynamic Action Sync
- Fitted with a Crosshair feature
- Offers fluid and smooth gaming action
- Features AMD FreeSync
- Offers a fast response time, I ms
- Extended view area
- Has advanced gaming features
- You may the brightness a little bit low, even at its maximum setting
7. BenQ ZOWIE XL2411P 24 inch 144 Hz eSports Gaming Monitor – The Best Visibility for Dark Scenes
This monitor will also reduce visual distractions and make you feel comfortable playing all day long. In this regard, the LCD screen is designed to prevent reflections on the screen. As such, it will prevent eye strain; allowing you to play comfortable for long periods.
- Comes with a 3-year manufacturer warranty
- Features a black eQualizer
- Uses Color Vibrance technology
- Offers enhanced color vibrance
- Offers a customizable viewing
- Features a Special bezel frame
- Supports Display Port, and DVI-DL connectivity
8. MSI Full HD FreeSync Gaming Monitor – The Affordable Curved 144 Hz Gaming Monitor Option
Just as is the case with any of the best 144 Hz gaming monitor today, this display is equipped with a capable adaptive refresh technology; the AMD FreeSync adaptive sync technology. You will also love the innovative True Color technology used on this product. This feature allows it to have about 20 percent more gamut coverage.
- Features true color technology
- Curved screen display
- Equipped with LED backlight
- Offers wide angle view
- Features adaptive sync
- Has a few dead pixels
9. ASUS ROG Strix XG27VQ 27” Curved Full HD 1080p Gaming Monitor – Best Wide Screen 144 Hz Monitor
In addition to its FreeSync Adaptive-Sync, the display features Ultra-low Blue Light technology by the manufacturer. The ultra-low blue light filters are designed to prevent the irritating blue light from reaching your eyes. This way, you will have a flicker-free performance that is friendlier to the eyes.
- Features Adaptive Sync/FreeSync technology
- Adjustable swivel, tilt and height
- VESA mount compatible
- Features ASUS Aura RGB lighting
- Uses ASUS Eye Care technology
- Offers GameVisual and GamePlus on MOBA mode
10. AOC G2460PF 24-inch 144 Hz FreeSync Monitor – Great Resolution on Budget
This monitor will allow you to enjoy a detailed and clear Full HD imagery at a relatively high resolution. The 1 ms response time offered by this unit will ensure that you get a sharper action sequence whenever you are playing games on your PC or console.
What if you have an AMD graphics card? Well, this is even better; the G2460PF is compatible with AMD FreeSync™. This goes a long way in reducing input lag, stuttering and tearing in this monitor. Additionally, the height of this display may be adjusted to your preferred point.
This way, you can assume a comfortable posture, hence be able to play for longer periods without getting tiered.
- Equipped with in-built speakers
- Uses AMD FreeSync
- The height is adjustable
- It is a TN panels display with a 1 ms response time
- Minimal input lag
- Features 2 USB 2.0 ports
- Needs a lot of calibration to offer optimal image quality
Are 144hz Monitors Worth An Investment?
If you a hardcore gamer and enjoy a lot of first-person shooter games, then you definitely need a good monitor with a high refresh rate. 144hz monitors are capable of offering an impressive refresh rate.
In layman terms, an image refreshes several times every second. That affects the clarity of the image visible on the screen. Therefore, 144hz monitor, an image refreshes for 144 times per second.
Its importance while playing games is significant as gamers need to have fast reflexes. A game sequence that lags due to a lower refresh rate will make it harder for a player to enjoy the game properly.
Additionally, gaming monitors of 144hz or above decrease the input lag, which is the delay in the reception of an electrical signal to stimulate action in a game. 144hz monitors have a low input lag, which is appropriate for appropriate gaming.
A reasonable refresh rate also ensures that the image is crisp to look at while playing the games. That puts less strain on the eyes. Therefore, a 144hz monitor is undoubtedly worth an investment.
How To Set Your Monitor To 144hz?
Sometimes your 144hz monitor is not set to offer a 144hz refresh rate by default. To fix it manually, you can follow the below steps:
- For Windows 10, you need to go to the settings and click on System.
- Then, look for the option named Display, and enter the Advanced settings for it.
- Look for the Adapter Properties in the settings, and switch to the Monitor tab in the window.
- You can locate the various refresh rates from here. Choose 144hz from the list.
- Press OK.
If you are using Windows 8 or 7, then you need to follow these steps:
- Right-click to select Screen Resolution.
- Go to Advanced Settings.
- Find Monitor Tab, in which you need to choose Screen Refresh Rate.
- Select 144hz and select, OK.
This will only work if you have selected a DVI-D port or display port. To avoid issues with the refresh rate from the start, use the cable that comes with your monitor. Nevertheless, you can use high-speed HDMI cables as well.
In some conditions, 144hz might not enable even after the above steps. In that case, you might need to update your computer’s graphics drivers. Additionally, the game’s graphics settings might have a manual setting to change the refresh rate.
Furthermore, your GPU might be outdated and unable to support the refresh rate. Therefore, you might need to change that hardware.
Things You Must Know Before Buying a 144 Hz Monitor
As a gaming enthusiast, you already understand the need for a high-end graphics card on your computer, right? However, such a capable graphics card will be useless in your computer without the right display monitor.
In this regard, 144 Hz monitors are some of the best displays for gaming computers today. However, such monitors are available in an array of makes, sizes and have an assortment of features. This alone makes it relatively difficult for you to choose the right 144 Hz gaming monitor.
If you are shopping for the best 144 Hz monitor today, here are some of the considerations you need to make:
1. Resolution and Screen Size
These are some of the most important considerations that you need to make while choosing the right 144 Hz monitor. Basically, a bigger screen will give you a better gaming experience. However, such a screen will also require additional space on the table. Rather than focusing solely on the screen size of the monitor, it is advisable to try and get the right balance of size and resolution.
Most of the 144 Hz monitors available today have a resolution of 1,920 x 1,080 (Full HD). However, you may still decide to go for higher resolutions, such as 4K (3,840 x 2,160) and WQHD (2,560 x 1,440). However, monitors with higher resolution will be costlier to buy.
Since the focus is on affordability, it is advisable to go for a 27-inch monitor that offers full HD and has a maximum resolution of 1920 by 1080.
2. Panel Type
Now that you have an idea of the right size and resolution of your new 144 Hz monitor, you now need to think about the type of panel you prefer. In this regard, the main types of a panel for these products are:
- TN panels
- IPS/PLS panels
- VA panels
With regard to response time, the TN panels are simply the best. However, the various TN panel monitors available today are known to have poor color accuracy. If you are looking for the best color accuracy, you should go for the IPS/PLS panels.
The various IPS panels will also offer you a greater angle of view. With IPS/PLS panels, you will get good color accuracy, but the response time will be relatively slow. The VA panel monitors, on the other hand, are in between the two extremes.
3. Input Lag
This is simply the time it takes for your input device, including keyboard and mouse, to be registered on the monitor. As a competitive gamer that you are, your preferred model should have minimal lag.
4. Response Time
For the best gaming experience, it is advisable to go for a 144 Hz monitor with the least possible response time. In this regard, you will need to choose between 1 ms and grey-to-grey ([email protected]) response time options. The 1 ms option is comparatively faster than the G2G response time.
5. PMW Flicker Free
The leading monitor manufacturers today are using this technology in their 144 Hz monitors. With this feature on your gaming monitor, you will experience minimal stress on your eyes while gaming. As such, you can game for extended periods, without getting tired.
6. Additional Features
In addition to the aspects discussed above, you also need to buy a monitor that has the features you need. Some of the features you need to check out include NVIDIA G-SYNC, ULMB, and AMD FREESYNC.
The AMD FREESYNC and Nvidia G-Sync are meant to minimize screen tearing, while Ultra Low Motion Blur (ULMB) is meant to reduce screen blur. The leading manufacturers today are offering AMD’s FreeSync for free in their units. However, G-Sync is only available in premium products.
There is a lot more to consider while building a great gaming environment. A great gaming monitor along isn’t enough for that. You must buy a great mouse and top-rated keyboards to improves your reaction time. Also, get the best pc gaming chairs suitable for long gaming hours.
Ready To Buy The Best & Cheapest 144Hz Monitor for Gaming?
Let’s get one thing straight; modern gaming monitors are packed with features to give you the best gaming experience possible.
However, you can attest to the fact that choosing the right one is not that easy, right? Basically, it is advisable to go beyond the cost consideration. The right 144 Hz monitor should be flicker-free, have a fast response time and minimal input lag.
You also need to choose the right panel type and resolution for your monitor. If you are looking for an affordable unit that has all the features you need, this guide will help you buy the best affordable 144 Hz gaming monitor.
Additionally, you will need to consider, such aspects as the resolution, response time, and input lag, as explained later in this guide. In case, if you are an avid gamer, get one of the top-rated mouse that helps to boost your gaming response time.
Leave a Reply