In addition to a capable graphics card, you will need a quality monitor for you to have the best gaming experience.
The leading 144 Hz monitors are some of the best monitors, in this regard.
However, you must have realized that there are numerous products and features to choose from. As such, choosing the right unit can be a daunting task; this is particularly the case for the beginners.
So, what should the best 144 Hz monitor have? Basically, your preferred 144 Hz monitor model should be of the right size and quality (Source).
Additionally, you will need to consider, such aspects as the resolution, response time, and input lag, as explained later in this guide. In case, if you are an avid gamer, get one of the top-rated mouse that helps to boost your gaming response time.
Why Is 144hz Monitor Better Than 60hz For gaming?
Table of Contents
- 1 Why Is 144hz Monitor Better Than 60hz For gaming?
- 2 Comparing Top 10 Best & Cheapest 144 Hz Monitors
- 3 1. ASUS VG248QE 24″ Full HD 1920 x 1080 144 Hz 1 ms HDMI Gaming Monitor – Best Overall
- 4 2. Acer GN246HL Bbid 24-Inch 3D Gaming Display – The Best Eco-Friendly 144 Hz Monitor
- 5 3. ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278QR 27″ 2560 x 1440 1 ms G-SYNC Eye Care Gaming Monitor – The Best Monitor for Tear-Free Gaming
- 6 4. AOC G2460PF 24” Gaming Monitor – The Best 144 Hz Wall Mountable Monitor
- 7 5. Acer Predator XB241H bmipr 24-inch Full HD Display – The Best Twisted Nematic Films Panel 144 Hz Monitor
- 8 6. LG 34UC79G-B 34-Inch 21:9 Curved UltraWide IPS Gaming Monitor – The Best Ultra-Wide 144 Hz Monitor
- 9 7. BenQ ZOWIE XL2411P 24 inch 144 Hz eSports Gaming Monitor – The Best Visibility for Dark Scenes
- 10 8. MSI Full HD FreeSync Gaming Monitor – The Affordable Curved 144 Hz Gaming Monitor Option
- 11 9. ASUS ROG Strix XG27VQ 27” Curved Full HD 1080p Gaming Monitor – Best Wide Screen 144 Hz Monitor
- 12 10. AOC G2460PF 24-inch 144 Hz FreeSync Monitor – Great Resolution on Budget
- 13 Are 144hz Monitors Worth An Investment?
- 14 How To Set Your Monitor To 144hz?
- 15 Things You Must Know Before Buying a 144 Hz Monitor
- 16 Ready To Buy The Best & Cheapest 144Hz Monitor for Gaming?
If you have been using a 60hz monitor for occasional gaming till now, then the chances are that you are missing the real fun. While 60hz is not bad, but it does not give you an immersive experience like a 144hz monitor.
Imagine yourself indulging in a multiplayer first-person shooter game with a 60hz monitor. An enemy, having 144hz monitor, approaches you from the front, trying to use his assault rifle to gun you down. Despite your expert skills, you miss calibrating the timing of his attack towards you.
Just because of the refresh rate difference, the enemy player is a couple of milliseconds faster than you. In competitive gaming, every millisecond matters. Without a decent refresh rate with reduced input lag to support your gaming, you might not show your full potential.
For the best experience, you cannot just rely on a high-end GPU for providing you fluid gameplays. It would help if you had a supporting gaming monitor to give it the platform to render those high graphics as well.
Furthermore, it also ensures that you have higher color precision in the game you are playing.
Comparing Top 10 Best & Cheapest 144 Hz Monitors
|ASUS VG248QE 24″ Full HD 1920 x 1080 144 Hz 1 ms HDMI Gaming Monitor|
|Acer GN246HL Bbid 24-Inch 3D Gaming Display|
|ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278QR 27″ 2560 x 1440 1 ms G-SYNC Eye Care Gaming Monitor|
|AOC G2460PF 24” Gaming Monitor|
|Acer Predator XB241H bmipr 24-inch Full HD|
|LG 34UC79G-B 34-Inch 21:9 Curved UltraWide IPS Gaming Monitor|
|BenQ ZOWIE XL2411P 24 inch 144 Hz eSports Gaming Monitor|
|MSI Full HD FreeSync Gaming Monitor|
|ASUS ROG Strix XG27VQ 27” Curved Full HD 1080 p Gaming Monitor|
|AOC G2460PF 24-inch 144 Hz FreeSync Monitor|
1. ASUS VG248QE 24″ Full HD 1920 x 1080 144 Hz 1 ms HDMI Gaming Monitor – Best OverallThis is considered to be one of the best 144 Hz monitor by the leading experts in the industry today. As a matter of fact, the manufacturer was the PCMag Reader’s Choice Award winner for the Computer Monitors category.
So, what exactly makes this monitor stand out from its competitors? All monitors are designed to display whatever you are doing on the computer, right? The VG248QE excels, in this regard, by allowing you to expand your visual horizon.
You will also love the level of connectivity offered by this unit. In this regard, it features HDMI, DisplayPort, and Dual-link DVI ports. This being the case, you can easily connect your computer and gaming console to this monitor at the same time.
The product depicts one of the most innovative technologies today, featuring an ergonomic stand with a tilt, height adjustment, swivel and pivot.
2. Acer GN246HL Bbid 24-Inch 3D Gaming Display – The Best Eco-Friendly 144 Hz MonitorThis is a widescreen monitor that features a super-slim design. In addition to its appealing aesthetics, this product is eco-friendly and boasts of an exceptional performance.
The sleek features a 24-inch widescreen with a maximum resolution of 1920 x 1080. As such, the product is renowned for delivering excellent details. Such aspects make the GN246HL ideal for widescreen HD gaming as well as for productivity and multimedia applications.
While you may be focusing all your attention on the features and resolution of the monitor, you also need to buy a product that is efficient on energy. In this regard, this monitor complies with ENERGY STAR requirements. Featuring a mercury-free LED backlight; this monitor will save power by up to 68 percent.
3. ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278QR 27″ 2560 x 1440 1 ms G-SYNC Eye Care Gaming Monitor – The Best Monitor for Tear-Free GamingThe ROG Swift PG278QR by Asus is essentially the epitome of gaming monitors today. Though affordable, this product is packed with an assortment of features aimed at improving your gaming experience.
To enable you to have the best tear-free gaming experience, this monitor is equipped with NVIDIA G-SYNC display technology. As such, the monitor is renowned for delivering some of the fastest and smoothest gaming performance today.
The G-SYNC on this monitor is designed to synchronize the refresh rate of the monitor to your GeForce GTX-powered PC GPU. By so doing, the manufacturer has been able to do away with screen tearing. This, in turn, has reduced the input lag and display shutter in this monitor.
Besides a gaming monitor choosing the right headphones is difficult for beginners. If you are starting out, buy the best gaming headsets for an amazing gaming experience.
With regards to connectivity, the PG278QR is a bit flexible, featuring HDMI and two DisplayPort ports. Additionally, the unit has two USB ports.
4. AOC G2460PF 24” Gaming Monitor – The Best 144 Hz Wall Mountable MonitorIf you are looking for the best blend of looks, ergonomics, performance and efficiency, you should consider buying the AOC G2460PF gaming monitor.
As one of the best 144 Hz monitors in the market today, it features AMD FreeSync Technology. This feature is specifically designed to minimize tearing and shuttering on the monitor. As such, this AOC will offer you one of the best shutter-free gaming experiences today.
By synchronizing the GPU with the monitor refresh rate, this feature ensures that frames are only displayed when ready. By so doing, the monitor also ensures that you get some of the fastest frame rates in the industry today.
In addition to the aesthetically appealing monitor, the package includes everything you need to install it. As such, every purchase will come with horizontal direct-insert connectors, a 100 mm VESA wall mount compliant, eSaver Software by AOC, a Kensington Security Slot and i-Menu Software.
5. Acer Predator XB241H bmipr 24-inch Full HD Display – The Best Twisted Nematic Films Panel 144 Hz MonitorAre you looking for a 144 Hz monitor that can support refresh rates of as low as 80 Hz and still deliver an amazing experience? If so, the Predator XB241H bmipr monitor by Acer will be a great choice.
For enhanced performance and exceptional display characteristics, this product is equipped with NVIDIA G-SYNC technology. This goes a long way in minimizing tearing on the screen as you play.
This feature, coupled with the built-in eye protection on this unit make it more friendlily to the eyes. This way you can play games for hours without getting fatigued. The Acer ErgoStand used on this monitor allows you to swivel, tilt, pivot and adjust the height of this product.
6. LG 34UC79G-B 34-Inch 21:9 Curved UltraWide IPS Gaming Monitor – The Best Ultra-Wide 144 Hz MonitorExperience a great view with this 34-inch curved screen, 144 Hz monitor today. While this may be one of the most expensive monitors in this guide, the product is worth its price.
To begin with, you will love the Full HD 34-inch curved IPS panel display offered by this monitor. Yes, the display is just that large and offers a dynamic field of view. Having been designed for gaming applications, this product features both basic and advanced gaming features.
For instance, it is fitted with a Crosshair feature. As such, it will be possible for you to position the striking point right in the middle of the display. This will enhance your firing accuracy significantly while you are playing games on this ultra-wide screen. Additionally, this monitor allows you to easily optimize the settings and activate Black Stabilizer.
7. BenQ ZOWIE XL2411P 24 inch 144 Hz eSports Gaming Monitor – The Best Visibility for Dark Scenesif you would like to make the darker scenes of your games more visible, you need to invest in a really capable 144 Hz Monitor. One such product is the BenQ ZOWIE monitor. This monitor is particularly designed to make the darker scenes more visible without making the bright scenes too bright.
This monitor will also reduce visual distractions and make you feel comfortable playing all day long. In this regard, the LCD screen is designed to prevent reflections on the screen. As such, it will prevent eye strain; allowing you to play comfortable for long periods.
8. MSI Full HD FreeSync Gaming Monitor – The Affordable Curved 144 Hz Gaming Monitor OptionWhen it comes to gaming displays, it is the finer details that make the difference. As such, any gaming enthusiast will find the MSI Full HD FreeSync Gaming Monitor unique in its own way. With a refresh rate of 144 Hz and a response time of 1 ms, this unit is sure to give you a seamless gaming experience. Additionally, the VA panel display is equipped with Optix G24C. This feature allows you to have a clear view of your opponents.
Just as is the case with any of the best 144 Hz gaming monitor today, this display is equipped with a capable adaptive refresh technology; the AMD FreeSync adaptive sync technology. You will also love the innovative True Color technology used on this product. This feature allows it to have about 20 percent more gamut coverage.
9. ASUS ROG Strix XG27VQ 27” Curved Full HD 1080p Gaming Monitor – Best Wide Screen 144 Hz MonitorAre you looking forward to buying a wide gaming monitor but do not have enough space for it? You should consider buying one of the best wall-mountable 144 Hz monitors right away. The curved design of the Asus ROG Strix XG27VQ gives you a wider display area. What’s more, the unit is wall mountable. This will save you more space on the table, whilst presenting you with a wide field of view.
In addition to its FreeSync Adaptive-Sync, the display features Ultra-low Blue Light technology by the manufacturer. The ultra-low blue light filters are designed to prevent the irritating blue light from reaching your eyes. This way, you will have a flicker-free performance that is friendlier to the eyes.
10. AOC G2460PF 24-inch 144 Hz FreeSync Monitor – Great Resolution on BudgetAre you tired of tearing and stuttering on your screen as you game? Get the AOC G2460PF 24-inch Monitor at an affordable price and such limitations will be a thing of the past.
This monitor will allow you to enjoy a detailed and clear Full HD imagery at a relatively high resolution. The 1 ms response time offered by this unit will ensure that you get a sharper action sequence whenever you are playing games on your PC or console.
What if you have an AMD graphics card? Well, this is even better; the G2460PF is compatible with AMD FreeSync™. This goes a long way in reducing input lag, stuttering and tearing in this monitor. Additionally, the height of this display may be adjusted to your preferred point.
This way, you can assume a comfortable posture, hence be able to play for longer periods without getting tiered.
Are 144hz Monitors Worth An Investment?
If you a hardcore gamer and enjoy a lot of first-person shooter games, then you definitely need a good monitor with a high refresh rate. 144hz monitors are capable of offering an impressive refresh rate.
In layman terms, an image refreshes several times every second. That affects the clarity of the image visible on the screen. Therefore, 144hz monitor, an image refreshes for 144 times per second.
Its importance while playing games is significant as gamers need to have fast reflexes. A game sequence that lags due to a lower refresh rate will make it harder for a player to enjoy the game properly.
Additionally, gaming monitors of 144hz or above decrease the input lag, which is the delay in the reception of an electrical signal to stimulate action in a game. 144hz monitors have a low input lag, which is appropriate for appropriate gaming.
A reasonable refresh rate also ensures that the image is crisp to look at while playing the games. That puts less strain on the eyes. Therefore, a 144hz monitor is undoubtedly worth an investment.
How To Set Your Monitor To 144hz?
Sometimes your 144hz monitor is not set to offer a 144hz refresh rate by default. To fix it manually, you can follow the below steps:
- For Windows 10, you need to go to the settings and click on System.
- Then, look for the option named Display, and enter the Advanced settings for it.
- Look for the Adapter Properties in the settings, and switch to the Monitor tab in the window.
- You can locate the various refresh rates from here. Choose 144hz from the list.
- Press OK.
If you are using Windows 8 or 7, then you need to follow these steps:
- Right-click to select Screen Resolution.
- Go to Advanced Settings.
- Find Monitor Tab, in which you need to choose Screen Refresh Rate.
- Select 144hz and select, OK.
This will only work if you have selected a DVI-D port or display port. To avoid issues with the refresh rate from the starting, use the cable that comes with your monitor. Nevertheless, you can use high-speed HDMI cables as well.
In some conditions, 144hz might not enable even after the above steps. In that case, you might need to update your computer’s graphics drivers. Additionally, the game’s graphics settings might have a manual setting to change the refresh rate.
Furthermore, your GPU might be outdated and unable to support the refresh rate. Therefore, you might need to change that hardware.
Things You Must Know Before Buying a 144 Hz Monitor
As a gaming enthusiast, you already understand the need of a high-end graphics card in your computer, right? However, such a capable graphics card will be useless in your computer without the right display monitor.
In this regard, 144 Hz monitors are some of the best displays for gaming computers today. However, such monitors are available in an array of makes, sizes and have an assortment of features. This alone makes it relatively difficult for you to choose the right 144 Hz gaming monitor.
If you are shopping for the best 144 Hz monitor today, here are some of the considerations you need to make:
1. Resolution and Screen Size
These are some of the most important considerations that you need to make while choosing the right 144 Hz monitor. Basically, a bigger screen will give you better gaming experience. However, such a screen will also require additional space on the table. Rather than focusing solely on the screen size of the monitor, it is advisable to try and get the right balance of size and resolution.
Most of the 144 Hz monitors available today have a resolution of 1,920 x 1,080 (Full HD). However, you may still decide to go for higher resolutions, such as 4K (3,840 x 2,160) and WQHD (2,560 x 1,440). However, monitors with higher resolution will be costlier to buy.
Since the focus is on affordability, it is advisable to go for a 27-inch monitor that offers full HD and has a maximum resolution of 1920 by 1080.
2. Panel Type
Now that you have an idea of the right size and resolution of your new 144 Hz monitor, you now need to think about the type of panel you prefer. In this regard, the main types of a panel for these products are:
- TN panels
- IPS/PLS panels
- VA panels
With regard to response time, the TN panels are simply the best. However, the various TN panel monitors available today are known to have poor color accuracy. If you are looking for the best color accuracy, you should go for the IPS/PLS panels.
The various IPS panels will also offer you a greater angle of view. With IPS/PLS panels, you will get good color accuracy, but the response time will be relatively slow. The VA panel monitors, on the other hand, are in between the two extremes.
3. Input Lag
This is simply the time it takes for your input device, including keyboard and mouse, to be registered on the monitor. As a competitive gamer that you are, your preferred model should have minimal lag.
4. Response Time
For the best gaming experience, it is advisable to go for a 144 Hz monitor with the least possible response time. In this regard, you will need to choose between 1 ms and grey-to-grey (G@G) response time options. The 1 ms option is comparatively faster than the G2G response time.
5. PMW Flicker Free
The leading monitor manufacturers today are using this technology in their 144 Hz monitors. With this feature on your gaming monitor, you will experience minimal stress on your eyes while gaming. As such, you can game for extended periods, without getting tired.
6. Additional Features
In addition to the aspects discussed above, you also need to buy a monitor that has the features you need. Some of the features you need to check out include NVIDIA G-SYNC, ULMB, and AMD FREESYNC.
The AMD FREESYNC and Nvidia G-Sync are meant to minimize screen tearing, while Ultra Low Motion Blur (ULMB) is meant to reduce screen blur. The leading manufacturers today are offering AMD’s FreeSync for free in their units. However, G-Sync is only available in premium products.
There is a lot more to consider while building a great gaming environment. A great gaming monitor along isn’t enough for that. You must buy a great mouse and top-rated keyboards to improves your reaction time. Also, get the best pc gaming chairs suitable for long gaming hours.
Ready To Buy The Best & Cheapest 144Hz Monitor for Gaming?
Let’s get one thing straight; modern gaming monitors are packed with features to give you the best gaming experience possible.
However, you can attest to the fact that choosing the right one is not that easy, right? Basically, it is advisable to go beyond the cost consideration. The right 144 Hz monitor should be flicker-free, have a fast response time and minimal input lag.
You also need to choose the right panel type and resolution for your monitor. If you are looking for an affordable unit that has all the features you need, this guide will help you buy the best affordable 144 Hz gaming monitor.