It is said that music is food for the soul, especially during travel. So many people consider their cars their second home and nothing would make that experience better than quality sound.
There is an increasing number of people spending more time in their cars; a number of them traveling and camping. It therefore makes perfect sense to invest in good sound.
The best car speakers have great sound quality, sensitivity of ninety dB and above and a frequency range of 20,000 Hz to 40,000Hz.
Below is a review of the 5 best car speakers under $100 to choose from.
Best Car Speakers Under $100
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Car Speakers Under $100
- 2 1. JBL GTO939 GTO Series 6×9″ 300W 3 Way Coaxial Audio Speakers – Best All-Surround System Car Speakers
- 3 2. Rockford Fosgate R165X3 Prime – Best Bass Output Car Speakers
- 4 3. Kenwood KFC – 1665S 6.5” – Best Budget Car Speakers
- 5 4. Pioneer TS-A1686R A-Series 6.5” – Best Long Lasting Speakers
- 6 5. Polk Audio DB651 – Best 2-Way Car Speakers
- 7 Facts You Need to Consider Before Purchasing Car Speakers
- 8 Our Final Review
|JBL GTO939 GTO Series 6×9 Inches|
|Rockford Fosgate R165X3|
|Kenwood KFC – 1665S 6.5”|
|Pioneer TS-A1686R A-Series|
|Polk Audio DB651|
1. JBL GTO939 GTO Series 6×9″ 300W 3 Way Coaxial Audio Speakers – Best All-Surround System Car SpeakersThese speakers are famed for their home-theatre level output. The sound is exceptionally balanced thanks to the excellent three-way loudspeaker (patented by the corporation). The tweeters are built with high quality titanium that amplify power and reduce heat.
JBL GTO939 speakers have an impedance of 2 ohms; they weigh five pounds and have a sensitivity of 92 dB. These speakers handle power perfectly and boast of 300 watts.
They have a protective plastic casing that shields them from scratches and maintains them in good condition for functionality. In addition, their textile dome tweeters enhance the bandwidth.
These speakers are fairly easy to install and come with the most common dimensions. This makes them a suitable fit for almost every car. These speakers’ cross-over network is designed with advanced high range and low range pass filters. This ensures that there is no noise in the background hence making the sound incredibly clear.
2. Rockford Fosgate R165X3 Prime – Best Bass Output Car SpeakersRockford Fosgate R165x3 prime speakers come in a pair of two. They are full range and have low impedance. This means there’s room for installing extra amplifiers thus making their output high quality.
Rockford Fosgate car speakers are surrounded with rubber. This helps boost the bass output. They also have a vacuum cone made with polypropylene which enables them to clean out any background noise and intensify clarity.
Rockford Fosgate car speakers have a shallow mounting depth which makes them easy to install. They also have a broad frequency which gives them the capacity to decently handle highs and lows thus giving strong output with no distortions.
These speakers come with additional hardware and have special amplifiers for utmost sound power. This makes them a perfect bargain for their price.
3. Kenwood KFC – 1665S 6.5” – Best Budget Car SpeakersKenwood KFC – 1665S 6.5” car speakers are another great option. These are 2- Way optimal speakers that have a great design that adds style to your car. They come with a sophisticated grey and black appearance and the mounting holes are already done.
They have a high sensitivity of 92dB and RMS of 30 watts. Their weight is slightly over seven pounds; arguably heavier than most of their peers.
Their top mount depth range is up to 1.75 inches. They are medium in size and they fit effortlessly into various speaker slots.
An additional feature of Kenwood KFC – 1665S speakers is that they are more durable in comparison to their peers. The whole set is in a steel basket which makes them resistant and helps in noise cancellation. The grille protects them from dust and daily exploitation effects.
Kenwood KFC – 1665S 6.5” car speakers come mounted coaxially over the hoofer. Their design offers high quality bass at a moderate volume giving them a good bargain.
4. Pioneer TS-A1686R A-Series 6.5” – Best Long Lasting SpeakersThese speakers are light weight. At only 4.5 pounds, you can comfortably fix them in various parts of the car.
Being four way speakers, Pioneer TS-A1686R speakers will offer you exceptional sound reproduction that you will hardly get anywhere else. Unlike their peers, you will not need additional accessories for installation. They are self-sufficient.
The Pioneer TS-A1686R speakers’ woofer cone is prepared with mica material; this makes them firm for any type of audio. They also have an aluminum voice coil which helps them endure high temperatures.
These speakers are built strong to last for years. They have a power of 350 watts and a sensitivity of 91dB. These full range speakers are your best choice for a price below $100.
5. Polk Audio DB651 – Best 2-Way Car SpeakersPolk Audio DB651 car speaker is a 2-Way component system that can be used effortlessly with existing factory settings. The speaker weighs five pounds and has a commendable sensitivity of 92 decibels (dB). They also have a power capacity of 55 watts.
They consist of a dome tweeter made of silk polymer and a woofer made of mica cone. This makes it possible to have a balanced and exceptionally clear output whether in high or low volume.
Polk Audio DB651 Car Speakers are loved for an appealing design topped by superb performance.
Polk Audio DB651 speakers are the best 2-way speakers for a low budget. They are a perfect choice if you looking forward to stepping up your base speakers.
Facts You Need to Consider Before Purchasing Car Speakers
The Sound Quality
The main reason people consider music as noisy is the sound quality. Having good output on any audio means you are able to get a good balance whether the volume is at the highest or lowest.
Finding good and affordable speakers can be tasking considering the countless options in the market today. Here are several factors that will help you determine good quality speakers and inform your purchasing decision.
The quality of sound is directly connected to your speaker’s frequency range (the musical tones a speaker can reproduce). Depending on how wide the frequency range of a speaker is, the output becomes better. The human hearing range starts from 20Hz, the lowest bass to 20,000, the highest tremble. A wide frequency range means that the speakers have a great ability to reproduce sound in a repetitive manner. This is what makes great sound.
A speaker’s sensitivity simply rates how effectively it converts power (watts) into volume (decibels). If your car’s speakers have a high sensitivity, you will enjoy better sound. This is especially felt during travel. Any brand that offers sensitivity of 90dB and above is worth your consideration.
Ability to Handle Power
Power handling ability is expressed in root mean square (RMS). This represents to what extent the speakers can handle power on a regular basis. The speakers’ power handling ability should align with the power system of the car.
Any device that operates with electricity has a testable ability to withstand circuit power. That capacity is measured in watts. It’s important to confirm your speaker’s power handling capacity from the manufacturer’s manual before you purchase.
Car Speaker Material
Rubber surround is the most common. It’s a great choice because it lasts long and speakers made with it tend to produce better quality sound. Rubber is therefore recommended over foam and cloth or foam and paper surrounds.
Speaker Type – 2 Way Vs. 3 Way; Coaxial Vs. Component
There are two types of speakers; coaxial, also known as full range and component speakers.
- Coaxial / Full range speakers (2- Way or 3- Way). Coaxial speakers are preferred for cars because they utilize a small space. The mid range driver and the tweeter are fixed in front of the woofer partly covering it.
- Component speakers. For component speakers, the mid-bass drivers and a pair of tweeters are put separately to limit the frequency range each speaker reproduces.
Whichever you choose, they both give great output.
One important thing to note is that a 2-way speaker is much easier to install as compared to a 3 way. You can actually do it for yourself if you have the experience. For a 3 way, I would suggest you get someone knowledgeable to install to avoid messing up.
Speaker manufacturers provide speakers in diverse sizes. They range from 6 inches and above; each car model has its specific size. The dealer you are buying from should guide you on the right fit for your car model.
If you are buying online, most online apps have a kit to help you counter-check before ordering. You only need to type in your car model and year of make. You will get instant feedback whether the speakers will fit or not.
People don’t bother about material details but they matter because they can influence the price and the sound quality.
- Woofer Material.
The woofer requires a stiff but light material. That’s why most of them are made using polypropylene films. This is to enable them to reproduce low frequencies. Mica may be added to boost stiffness and strengthen them. Other alternative materials are titanium, woven fabric films or aluminum
- Surround Material.
This is the material that is wrapped around the woofer cone, in most cases rubber. It helps regulate temperature and other natural elements. It should allow the cone to move smoothly.
- Twitter Material.
A supple and soft material like silk works best because tweeters produce high frequency. In some instances, graphite can be used by people who love heavy output.
As much as the reviewed speakers are all under $100, your budget will determine what you will buy. The prices have a wide range.
Some speakers will need additional accessories, be sure to enquire how much it will cost you to do full installation as you order. On the same note, some cars need more work especially if you are installing 3-Way speakers. You will need to consider the labor charges too.
Our Final Review
There are many car speakers under $100, we only reviewed the best. We ranked them in consideration of price, sound quality, durability and trustworthiness. However, the final decision is yours.
There’s one last thing I would advise you to pay attention to; the expertise of your handy man. The last thing you want is to have an amateur fixing your speakers. It would be wiser to spend a little more on an expert, rather than save money and end up regretting.
Hiring an amateur or risking installing them without any experience not only risks messing up your car but also the speakers. Please note even if they are under warranty, the manufacturer will not replace any damaged speaker out of negligence.
Better be safe than sorry, this is a once in a lifetime affair (at least for that car), do it well and you will have nothing to lose.