A Television antenna, also known as a TV antenna or TV Aerial, is a device employed to acquire a broadcast video signal to be used on a television set.
While you may be having digital, cable TV or Satellite TV in your home, you still need to have the best attic antenna installed.
For the greatest reception, it is best to place the antenna outside. Most people, however, may not have the available space, or might simply not want to install equipment on the outside of their home. A great solution, in this case, is to install the antenna in the attic (Source).
There are two main types of TV antenna, amplified and unamplified. An unamplified antenna is essentially nothing more than a conventional antenna connected to a long cable, whereas an amplified antenna is able to drastically increase signal strength, but requires power to operate (Source).
Before purchasing a TV antenna for your attic, consider the price, signal gain, and ease of installation. Also, consider the quality of the materials, warranty, and other top aspects.
In this guide, we’ll review top-rated TV antennas. All of the aerials in this guide will be ideal whether you are watching your favorite locally broadcast sitcom or keeping up with the nightly news.
Comparing The Best Attic Antennas
Table of Contents
- 1 Comparing The Best Attic Antennas
- 2 1. ClearStream 2V Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna with Mount – Best Overall
- 3 2. RCA Compact Outdoor Yagi HDTV Antenna – The Best 1080 HD Attic Antenna
- 4 3. GE 33692 Attic Mount HD Antenna – A Product by a Leading American Brand
- 5 4. Vilso TV Antenna Outdoor Amplified – The Best Long Range Attic Antenna
- 6 5. Winegard FlatWave Air FL6550A Amplified Digital Outdoor HDTV Antenna – The Best Amplified Attic Antenna
- 7 6. 1byone HDTV External Antenna With High-End Amplifier – Simple, Yet Efficient
- 8 7. Wineguard Platinum Series HD 7649P Attic Antenna – A Product of Excellence
- 9 8. Pingbingding Wireless Antenna With 360 Degree Rotation – Extremely Versatile
- 10 9. GE Long-Range Pro Attic Antenna – Seamless Signal Reception
- 11 10. Antop Outdoor Attic Antenna With Omnidirectional Reception – Compact, Yet Powerful
- 12 Can You Install Attic Antenna in the Attic?
- 13 What Should You Take Care of While Mounting an Attic Antenna?
- 14 Why Choose a Professional to Install an Attic Antenna For You?
- 15 Things You Need to Know Before Buying an Attic Antenna
- 16 Ready To Buy The Best Attic Antenna?
|ClearStream 2V Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna with Mount|
|RCA Compact Outdoor Yagi HDTV Antenna|
|GE 33692 Attic Mount HD Antenna|
|Vilso TV Antenna Outdoor Amplified|
|Winegard FlatWave Air FL6550A Amplified Digital Outdoor HDTV Antenna|
1. ClearStream 2V Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna with Mount – Best Overall
This may be attributed to its patented loop design, which was specifically designed to receive a wider range of frequencies. Additionally, this unique design gives the product a wider beam angle. As such, you will rarely need to rotate it for enhanced signal reception.
This design has also been proven to prevent multipath interference. Another desirable aspect of this product is its extended range. In this regard, the antenna is capable of receiving TV signals from as far as 60 miles from the broadcast towers.
This makes it a great choice for suburban and rural dwellers alike. If you are getting weaker signals as a result of interference by the roofing material or heavy foliage, you should consider buying this product.
2. RCA Compact Outdoor Yagi HDTV Antenna – The Best 1080 HD Attic Antenna
This RCA antenna features a superior reception technology. This, coupled to its ANT751R multi-element, cross-phase antenna design makes its reception capabilities some of the best in the industry. In this regard, this antenna will give you exceptional picture and sound quality from as far as 70 miles. The HD antenna happens to be one of the best streaming player complements you can buy today.
Some of the streaming players compatible with this attic antenna include Roku, Apple TV and Xbox. In this regard, you only need to pair the unit with your streaming device. By so doing, you will be able to receive live content, along with your preferred on-demand programming.
3. GE 33692 Attic Mount HD Antenna – A Product by a Leading American Brand
If you are worried about the quality of this product, you should rest assured that it is one of the best in the industry. As a matter of fact, the manufacturer is rated one of the best American Antenna brands today. The unit will overcome several signal abstractions to give you the best free high-Definition TV broadcasts. Some of the broadcast networks you will receive with the antenna include NBC, CBS, Univision, Fox, PBS and CW.
Finally, you will find the product comparatively easy to assemble. The compact design of the product makes it relatively easy to position and mount o your attic. Additionally, it comes with the installation hardware you need as well as assembly instructions.
4. Vilso TV Antenna Outdoor Amplified – The Best Long Range Attic Antenna
For enhanced reception, the antenna features a built-in motor rotator. This allows you to rotate the antenna up to 360 degrees so as to get the best reception possible. With this antenna, you can easily receive 1080p HDTV signals at 32 db, high-gain reception from a distance of 750 miles.
5. Winegard FlatWave Air FL6550A Amplified Digital Outdoor HDTV Antenna – The Best Amplified Attic Antenna
The antenna is capable of receiving both UHF and VHF channels, which gives you the maximum content available within your area. For enhanced signal quality, the manufacturer uses Clear Circuit technology on this product.
6. 1byone HDTV External Antenna With High-End Amplifier – Simple, Yet Efficient
This particular attic antenna model is equipped with high amplification for excellent signal transmission and reception.
The antenna is also optimized to provide clear VHF and UHF signals to run high-definition content. Furthermore, it can quickly offer you a reception range of up to 100 miles.
7. Wineguard Platinum Series HD 7649P Attic Antenna – A Product of Excellence
This antenna gives you a decent range of 45 miles to suit your needs of receiving signals. It even gives you the ability to stream by pairing it with devices like FireTV stick, ChromeCast, etc.
This antenna also promises excellent durability. It is possible due to the protective covering over its circuit system to prevent it from hazards related to bad weather.
Wineguard also takes care of the high-end reception of the signal through its patented technology.
8. Pingbingding Wireless Antenna With 360 Degree Rotation – Extremely Versatile
You can quickly receive a signal for your HD entertainment system through its top-grade 150 miles of reception range.
For user convenience, the Pingbingding TV antenna comes with a preassembled framework that just needs to be mounted to the roof.
Furthermore, the Snap-on feature it offers makes it easier to install and receive signals with limited noise interference.
9. GE Long-Range Pro Attic Antenna – Seamless Signal Reception
It comes with a mast to let you mount it at a reasonable height, thus making it easier to receive signals without interruptions.
It even accompanies a decent customer support team to give you solutions whenever needed. The compact antenna design easily receives UHF and VHF signals.
10. Antop Outdoor Attic Antenna With Omnidirectional Reception – Compact, Yet Powerful
You can enjoy a plethora of channels, even with 4K resolution output. Additionally, this antenna is also resistant to Ultraviolet rays.
Its omnidirectional setup also ensures that you get full signal reception from all directions and that too – from an impressive range of 65 miles.
Furthermore, you can be assured of quality reception even in harsh weather conditions.
Can You Install Attic Antenna in the Attic?
Yes, you can install an external antenna inside an attic as well. The antenna will work just like an external one.
You can do it in the same way as you install an antenna externally on the roof. However, placing an antenna inside the roof has its drawbacks.
However, you can only opt for this procedure if the house roof, shingle, metal framework, etc., allow the signals to pass through without any trouble.
To make sure that the antenna will work just fine from inside the attic, you might need to do a temporary installation so that it is easier for you to remove it if the place is not fit for signal transmission.
Furthermore, you need to make sure to install the antenna in a location with enough gap between the attic antenna and the antenna connected to your TV.
It is necessary to let the booster work correctly by ensuring the seamless reception of signals.
What Should You Take Care of While Mounting an Attic Antenna?
As a consumer, you may need to take care while mounting an attic antenna outdoors. While it is recommended to call upon a professional to help you, but sometimes you got to do it yourself.
Therefore, you need to make sure to take care while installing the antenna. Here are some precautionary tips:
- Never do it alone. Ensure that there is someone to aid you while you are climbing up on the roof of the house to mount it.
- Use tools the appropriate tools that will conveniently help you to install the antenna in place. Using the right set of tools will save a lot of your time too.
- If the roof is wet or icy, then do not risk to climb on the roof to mount the device. You might slip and get fatally injured.
- Avoid installing the antenna if the weather is harsh. Antennas are prone to be struck by lightning. They have to be earthed to prevent them from being damaged, but you do not.
Why Choose a Professional to Install an Attic Antenna For You?
You might be thinking of installing an attic antenna on your own, but that can be risky if you have never done it before.
Instead, you can choose a professional technician to help you mount the transmission system accurately. Here why you need an expert:
- Safety – A technician has the skills and experience to handle the electricals, heights, etc. securely.
- Professionalism – These experts know how to mount the antenna skillfully without unnecessary wiring. They make sure that the complete work is clean and efficient.
- Equipment – They have the necessary tools and hardware needed to complete the installation safely and quickly. You might not have those tools with you to do it yourself.
- Experience – While installing the antenna yourself, you might face specific issues that can hinder the process. But, a technician is aware of possible problems, so he will make sure to do it properly.
Hiring a technician might cost you a little extra (roughly $120 to $500 for the service charge), but it will be worth the investment for secure and clean work.
Moreover, a technician will also make sure to select the right location for mounting the antenna to get the maximum signal. With a technician, you can be assured of quality installation for your chosen antenna.
Things You Need to Know Before Buying an Attic Antenna
If you are looking for a more affordable alternative to cable subscription TV, you should consider using the best Over-the-Air Antenna today. However, you need to know that reception for this option is not the same in all parts of the country.
Depending on your geographical location, you may need to invest in a good attic antenna for you to get crystal clear HD native channels on your television. The good news is that most of such channels are free on Over-the-Air Antenna. This is probably why a considerable number of people are opting for them today.
If you are shopping for the best attic antenna today, do not just settle for the most affordable option. Keep in mind that you may need an attic ladder to reach up and install an antenna.
Consider the following aspects as well:
1. What Type of Antenna Do You Need?
Basically, no one antenna type will deliver the best results in all locations. As such, the right type of antenna for your application will depend on several things. To begin with, you need to consider how far you are from TV station transmitters, the power of the transmitters as well as the height of their towers.
If your home is just a few miles from the transmitters and there is no obstruction to the signal path, a smaller indoor antenna may give you exceptional reception.
As the distance between the transmitters and your home increases, the signals weaken. In such a case, you need to be very careful while choosing the right HD antenna. You also need to bear in mind that TV signals mat bend in the lower atmosphere. This phenomenon further extends the reception range of such signals.
2. Frequency Ranges
Digital TV signals today are being broadcasted over two main frequency ranges. Depending on the channels you wish to watch on your television, you need to ensure that your preferred attic antenna can receive the right frequencies. The frequency ranges being used to broadcast digital TV signals today are:
- Ultra High Frequency (UHF) – Channels range between 14 and 51
- Very High Frequency (VHF) – All VHF channels range between 2 and 13, with the ‘low band’ VHF channels ranging between 2 and 6. Channels between 7 and 13 are referred to as ‘high band’ VHF
In total, there are about 1,800 full-power TV stations in the US today, 1,300 of which are UHF channels. About 50 of these are 50 low-band VHF channels while the other 450 are high-band VHF channels. if you intend to watch channels that are below 14, you should get a VHF/UHF attic antenna.
The main difference between VHF and UHF antennas is their size. Since VHF waves are lower, they happen to have longer waves. As a result, the various VHF antennas feature a comparatively larger surface area in order to capture such waves.
3. Multi-Directional or Directional Antenna?
In addition to the distance between your home and the transmitters, you also need to consider the direction of the transmitters from your home. You need to ensure that your preferred attic antenna can capture waves from that direction.
So, should you go for the directional or multi-directional antennas? The various antennas that are labeled ‘Directional’ are meant to only receive signals from one direction.
Multi-directional antennas, on the other hand, are capable of receiving signals from multiple directions. However, choosing between the two is not that straightforward. The good thing about directional HD antennas is that they can receive signals from greater distances. Again, these antennas are resistant to multipath distortion and noise.
While multi-directional antennas are capable of receiving signals from different directions, they are prone to multipath distortion and noise interference. Therefore, you also need to consider such aspects when choosing the right attic antenna for your home.
4. Built-in Amplifier
Most of the leading antenna manufacturers today equip their antennas with built-in amplifiers. These are meant to boost the signal reception capabilities of the units. Such antennae will come in handy of you live in an area that has a lot of obstructions to the signals.
Ready To Buy The Best Attic Antenna?
As opposed to traditional antennas, modern attic antennas are more appealing and are designed to give you the best reception possible. Unfortunately, this is not the case for all the attic antennas available today.
This being the case, you need to be very cautious when shopping for one. Throughout this guide, you will learn the various things you need to choose the best attic antenna today. And, if you want to watch TV for free instead of using an antenna, consider getting an FTA receiver.
Also, check out another home product; our guide for the Top-Rated Noise Canceling Curtains!