A Television antenna, also known as a TV antenna or TV Aerial, is a device employed to acquire a broadcast video signal to be used on a television set.
While you may be having digital, cable TV or Satellite TV in your home, you still need to have the best attic antenna installed.
For the greatest reception, it is best to place the antenna outside. Most people, however, may not have the available space, or might simply not want to install equipment on the outside of their home. A great solution, in this case, is to install the antenna in the attic (Source).
There are two main types of TV antenna, amplified and unamplified. An unamplified antenna is essentially nothing more than a conventional antenna connected to a long cable, whereas an amplified antenna is able to drastically increase signal strength, but requires power to operate (Source).
Before purchasing a TV antenna for your attic, consider the price, signal gain, and ease of installation. Also, consider the quality of the materials, warranty, and other top aspects.
In this guide, we’ll review top-rated TV antennas. All of the aerials in this guide will be ideal whether you are watching your favorite locally broadcast sitcom or keeping up with the nightly news.
Comparing The Best Attic Antennas
Table of Contents
- 1 Comparing The Best Attic Antennas
- 2 1. ClearStream 2V Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna with Mount – Best Overall
- 3 2. RCA Compact Outdoor Yagi HDTV Antenna – The Best 1080 HD Attic Antenna
- 4 3. GE 33692 Attic Mount HD Antenna – Best Attic Antenna for Multiple TV’s
- 5 4. Vilso TV Antenna Outdoor Amplified – The Best Long Range Attic Antenna
- 6 5. Winegard FlatWave Air FL6550A Amplified Digital Outdoor – The Best Aerial Receiver for HDTV
- 7 6. 1byone HDTV External Antenna With High-End Amplifier – Best Omni Directional Attic Antenna
- 8 7. Wineguard Platinum Series HD 7649P Attic Antenna – Best Signal Receiver for Rural Areas
- 9 8. Pingbingding Wireless Antenna With 360 Degree Rotation – Best Attic Antenna with Amplifier
- 10 9. GE Long-Range Pro Antenna – Best 100 Mile Attic Antenna
- 11 10. Antop Outdoor Receiver With Omnidirectional Reception – Best Attic Antenna for 4K TV
- 12 Installation Tips
- 13 Why Choose a Professional to Install an Attic Antenna For You?
- 14 How Much Do Attic Antennas Cost?
- 15 Do Attic Antennas Work?
- 16 Which One Is Better: Attic Antenna, Indoor Antenna, or Outdoor Antenna?
- 17 Do I Need To Ground My Attic Antenna?
- 18 Does Aluminum Foil Boost Antenna Signal?
- 19 Things You Need to Know Before Buying an Attic Antenna
- 20 Ready To Buy The Best Attic Antenna?
|ClearStream 2V Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna with Mount|
|RCA Compact Outdoor Yagi HDTV Antenna|
|GE 33692 Attic Mount HD Antenna|
|Vilso TV Antenna Outdoor Amplified|
|Winegard FlatWave Air FL6550A Amplified Digital Outdoor HDTV Antenna|
1. ClearStream 2V Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna with Mount – Best Overall
This may be attributed to its patented loop design, which was specifically designed to receive a wider range of frequencies. Additionally, this unique design gives the product a wider beam angle. As such, you will rarely need to rotate it for enhanced signal reception.
This design has also been proven to prevent multipath interference. Another desirable aspect of this product is its extended range. In this regard, the antenna is capable of receiving TV signals from as far as 60 miles from the broadcast towers.
This makes it a great choice for suburban and rural dwellers alike. If you are getting weaker signals as a result of interference by the roofing material or heavy foliage, you should consider buying this product.
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Offers exceptional performance, regardless of obstruction
- May be used indoor or outdoor
- Offers a range of 60 miles
- It is a multi-directional antenna
- Features VHF and UHF multi-directional elements
- Comes with a 20-inch ClearStream mounting hardware
- Package includes an instruction manual
- Does not come with a coaxial cable
2. RCA Compact Outdoor Yagi HDTV Antenna – The Best 1080 HD Attic Antenna
This RCA antenna features a superior reception technology. This, coupled to its ANT751R multi-element, cross-phase antenna design makes its reception capabilities some of the best in the industry. In this regard, this antenna will give you exceptional picture and sound quality from as far as 70 miles. The HD antenna happens to be one of the best streaming players complements you can buy today.
Some of the streaming players compatible with this aerial receiver include Roku, Apple TV, and Xbox. In this regard, you only need to pair the unit with your streaming device. By so doing, you will be able to receive live content, along with your preferred on-demand programming.
- Offers VHF and HF channels in HD
- Can receive both VHF and UHF channels
- Can support up to 1080i HDTV broadcasts
- Comes with mounting hardware and a mast
- The product comes pre-assembled
- Gives access to top-rated network programming for various shows
- Can withstand harsh outdoor conditions
- Does not require a subscription
3. GE 33692 Attic Mount HD Antenna – Best Attic Antenna for Multiple TV’s
Additionally, very few TV antennas can match the performance of this product. This may be attributed to the many performance features it is packed with. Having been designed for HDTVs, this antenna allows you to receive up to Full HD 1080p quality.
If you are worried about the quality of this product, you should rest assured that it is one of the best in the industry. As a matter of fact, the manufacturer is rated one of the best American Antenna brands today. The unit will overcome several signal abstractions to give you the best free high-Definition TV broadcasts. Some of the broadcast networks you will receive with the antenna include NBC, CBS, Univision, Fox, PBS and CW.
Finally, you will find the product comparatively easy to assemble. The compact design of the product makes it relatively easy to position and mount o your attic. Additionally, it comes with the installation hardware you need as well as assembly instructions.
- Produced by an American brand
- Easy to assemble and mount
- Comes with assembly instructions and mounting hardware
- Features a high-definition, compact design
- Offers FREE high-definition TV broadcasts
- Easily mounts to the attic
- Impressive performance while concealed in the attic
- Comes with a limited lifetime warranty
- May take time to assemble
4. Vilso TV Antenna Outdoor Amplified – The Best Long Range Attic Antenna
No products found.Are you getting poor digital TV signals just because you live too far away from the broadcasting towers? Improve reception performance with the best-amplified antenna, such as the Vilso TV Antenna. This product features a built-in amplifier for extended range. In this regard, the unit boasts of a 150-mile range—one of the longest ranges in the industry today.
For enhanced reception, the antenna features a built-in motor rotator. This allows you to rotate the antenna up to 360 degrees so as to get the best reception possible. With this antenna, you can easily receive 1080p HDTV signals at 32 db, high-gain reception from a distance of 750 miles.
- Relatively easy to install
- Supports Full HDTV, including 1080i, 720p and 1080p
- Offers a long-range reception
- Product is weather resistant
- Features a motor rotator
- Comparatively affordable
- Remote controlled
- Features a built in, low-noise amplifier
- May be rotated up to 360 degrees
- The motor rotator is not so durable
5. Winegard FlatWave Air FL6550A Amplified Digital Outdoor – The Best Aerial Receiver for HDTV
The antenna is capable of receiving both UHF and VHF channels, which gives you the maximum content available within your area. For enhanced signal quality, the manufacturer uses Clear Circuit technology on this product.
- Features a compact and durable design
- Uses a dual band UHF/VHF-driven element
- Equipped with an integrated reflector
- Features a quality digital amplifier
- Reduced noise
- Features a flex-mount design
- Produced in the USA
- Signals may weaken under low atmospheric pressure conditions
6. 1byone HDTV External Antenna With High-End Amplifier – Best Omni Directional Attic Antenna
This particular attic antenna model is equipped with high amplification for excellent signal transmission and reception.
The antenna is also optimized to provide clear VHF and UHF signals to run high-definition content. Furthermore, it can quickly offer you a reception range of up to 100 miles.
- Exception signal transmission range of 85 to 100 miles
- Incorporated with preinstalled amplified for high gain input/output
- Suitable for all VHF and UHF signals
- Simple to install
- Signal reception with low noise input
- Weatherproof system
- The signal might get disturbed due to electrical interference from other appliances
7. Wineguard Platinum Series HD 7649P Attic Antenna – Best Signal Receiver for Rural Areas
This antenna gives you a decent range of 45 miles to suit your needs of receiving signals. It even gives you the ability to stream by pairing it with devices like FireTV stick, Chromecast, etc.
This antenna also promises excellent durability. It is possible due to the protective covering over its circuit system to prevent it from hazards related to bad weather.
Wineguard also takes care of the high-end reception of the signal through its patented technology.
- Product of a reputed U.S.-based brand since 1954
- Decent range of 45 miles, which can be improved using an external booster
- Easy to install
- Excellent customer service
- High durability
- Impressive compatibility and design for working with old and new technologies
- Requires a mast to mount it for good reception, but it may not be included
8. Pingbingding Wireless Antenna With 360 Degree Rotation – Best Attic Antenna with Amplifier
You can quickly receive a signal for your HD entertainment system through its top-grade 150 miles of reception range.
For user convenience, the Pingbingding TV antenna comes with a preassembled framework that just needs to be mounted to the roof.
Furthermore, the Snap-on feature it offers makes it easier to install and receive signals with limited noise interference.
- Impressive range of 150 miles
- Supports 2 TVs without the need for a signal splitting device
- Snap-On technology for ease of mounting and rotation
- Inbuilt amplifier
- Wireless remote controller
- Reception range up to 150 miles depends on various factors, like clear weather, height, etc.
9. GE Long-Range Pro Antenna – Best 100 Mile Attic Antenna
It comes with a mast to let you mount it at a reasonable height, thus making it easier to receive signals without interruptions.
It even accompanies a decent customer support team to give you solutions whenever needed. The compact antenna design easily receives UHF and VHF signals.
- A product of one of the most reputed Antenna brands in the U.S.
- Easy-to-follow instructions manual
- Offers HD channels free of cost
- Receives high-quality signal through its reliable beam production features
- Does not have a lifetime warranty
10. Antop Outdoor Receiver With Omnidirectional Reception – Best Attic Antenna for 4K TV
You can enjoy a plethora of channels, even with 4K resolution output. Additionally, this antenna is also resistant to Ultraviolet rays.
Its omnidirectional setup also ensures that you get full signal reception from all directions and that too – from an impressive range of 65 miles.
Furthermore, you can be assured of quality reception even in harsh weather conditions.
- Resistant to UV rays
- Free installation support
- Free 4K and HD channels
- Ease of installation
- Antenna with 15-inch diameter for superb reception
- Impressive range of 65 miles
- 360-degree reception
- The coax connector is not that durable, so be careful while tightening it
As a consumer, you may need to take precautions when installing or mounting an attic TV antenna outdoors. While it is recommended to call upon a professional to help you, but sometimes you got to do it yourself.
Therefore, you need to make sure to take care while installing the antenna. Here are some precautionary tips:
- Never do it alone. Ensure that there is someone to aid you while you are climbing up on the roof of the house to mount it.
- Use tools the appropriate tools that will conveniently help you to install the antenna in place. Using the right set of tools will save a lot of your time too.
- If the roof is wet or icy, then do not risk to climb on the roof to mount the device. You might slip and get fatally injured.
- Avoid installing the antenna if the weather is harsh. Antennas are prone to be struck by lightning. They have to be earthed to prevent them from being damaged, but you do not.
Why Choose a Professional to Install an Attic Antenna For You?
You might be thinking of installing an HDTV antenna on your own, but that can be risky if you have never done it before.
Instead, you can choose a professional technician to help you mount the transmission system accurately. Here’s why you need an expert:
- Safety – A technician has the skills and experience to handle the electricals, heights, etc. securely.
- Professionalism – These experts know how to mount the antenna skillfully without unnecessary wiring. They make sure that the complete work is clean and efficient.
- Equipment – They have the necessary tools and hardware needed to complete the installation safely and quickly. You might not have those tools with you to do it yourself.
- Experience – While installing the antenna yourself, you might face specific issues that can hinder the process. But, a technician is aware of possible problems, so he will make sure to do it properly.
Hiring a technician might cost you a little extra (roughly $120 to $500 for the service charge), but it will be worth the investment for secure and clean work.
Moreover, a technician will also make sure to select the right location for mounting the antenna to get the maximum signal. With a technician, you can be assured of quality installation for your chosen antenna.
How Much Do Attic Antennas Cost?
An indoor TV antenna can cost you anywhere between $40 and $600. The rates differ due to the material of construction of the receiver.
Furthermore, the price varies based on additional features like an inbuilt amplifier, signal boosters, frequency range, etc. You might also get yourself a custom attic antenna that consists of multiple receivers. Such a unit might cost you more than $600.
Do Attic Antennas Work?
Attic antennas work efficiently if the right conditions meet while installing them even though these indoor antennas have built-in amplifiers that boost their signal receptions by several folds.
That makes them capable of receiving signals even while installed inside your house roof. Do note that the signal reception is effective only when the transmission is within the range of the antenna.
Other factors that might affect the signal strength include weather conditions, obstructions in the path, and other outdoor or indoor antennas within the range. For best results, choose an antenna with a high-quality reception booster, with broad UHF and VHF ranges.
Which One Is Better: Attic Antenna, Indoor Antenna, or Outdoor Antenna?
Each of these antennas is better than the other in one way or another. For example, an attic antenna is excellent if you have medium signal strength in your area, which you can receive with a good quality attic antenna with an inbuilt amplifier.
Indoor antennas usually do not have a reception booster, which receives powerful signals, as these do not require much effort by your receiving unit.
On the other hand, an outdoor antenna is suitable for areas where the signal is realty weak. In such areas, an outdoor antenna is installed on the rooftop to get alerts uninterruptedly.
Additionally, attic and indoor antennas hide within your house roof, which is preferable for maintaining a better outdoor appeal.
Do I Need To Ground My Attic Antenna?
No matter which material of construction is used in the attic antenna, you must ground it and the coaxial cable it accompanies. Antennas receive signals, which have electric charges in them as well.
Similarly, lightning also spreads electrical charges in the air, which need to dissipate its energy by running through anything that it finds in the vicinity.
The National Electrical Code (NEC) recommends grounding the mast of the antenna and the cable with the GES or ground electrode system present in homes. You can connect the cable to the installed ground rod to keep yourself protected from lightning.
Does Aluminum Foil Boost Antenna Signal?
In some cases, wrapping aluminum foil around your attic antenna can improve signal reception. The principle behind it is that aluminum foil increases the surface area of the antenna.
With increased surface area, the electrical conductivity of the unit increases. Thus, your antenna can receive a better signal. That might not always be the case, because some antenna materials are better at signal reception than others.
Instead, you can try for an attic antenna, with a high-quality amplifier.
Things You Need to Know Before Buying an Attic Antenna
Depending on your geographical location, invest in a quality antenna to get crystal clear HD native channels on your television. The good news is that most of such channels are free on Over-the-Air Antenna. Below are some other factors to consider.
1. What Type of Antenna Do You Need?
Basically, no one antenna type will deliver the best results in all locations. As such, the right type of antenna for your application will depend on several things. To begin with, you need to consider how far you are from TV station transmitters, the power of the transmitters as well as the height of their towers.
If your home is just a few miles from the transmitters and there is no obstruction to the signal path, a smaller indoor antenna may give you exceptional reception.
As the distance between the transmitters and your home increases, the signals weaken. In such a case, you need to be very careful while choosing the right HD antenna. You also need to bear in mind that TV signals mat bend in the lower atmosphere. This phenomenon further extends the reception range of such signals.
2. Frequency Ranges
Digital TV signals today are being broadcasted over two main frequency ranges. Depending on the channels you wish to watch on your television, you need to ensure that your preferred attic antenna can receive the right frequencies. The frequency ranges being used to broadcast digital TV signals today are:
- Ultra-High Frequency (UHF) – Channels range between 14 and 51
- Very High Frequency (VHF) – All VHF channels range between 2 and 13, with the ‘low band’ VHF channels ranging between 2 and 6. Channels between 7 and 13 are referred to as ‘high band’ VHF
In total, there are about 1,800 full-power TV stations in the US today, 1,300 of which are UHF channels. About 50 of these are 50 low-band VHF channels while the other 450 are high-band VHF channels. if you intend to watch channels that are below 14, you should get a VHF/UHF TV antenna.
The main difference between VHF and UHF antennas is their size. Since VHF waves are lower, they happen to have longer waves. As a result, the various VHF antennas feature a comparatively larger surface area in order to capture such waves.
3. Multi-Directional or Directional Antenna?
In addition to the distance between your home and the transmitters, you also need to consider the direction of the transmitters from your home. You need to ensure that your preferred attic antenna can capture waves from that direction.
So, should you go for the directional or multi-directional antennas? The various antennas that are labeled ‘Directional’ are meant to only receive signals from one direction.
Multi-directional antennas, on the other hand, are capable of receiving signals from multiple directions. However, choosing between the two is not that straightforward. The good thing about directional HD antennas is that they can receive signals from greater distances. Again, these antennas are resistant to multipath distortion and noise.
While multi-directional antennas are capable of receiving signals from different directions, they are prone to multipath distortion and noise interference. Therefore, you also need to consider such aspects when choosing the right HD TV antenna for your home.
4. Built-in Amplifier
Most antenna manufacturers equip their antennas with built-in amplifiers. These are meant to boost the signal reception capabilities of the units. Such antennae will come in handy if you live in an area that has a lot of obstructions to the signals.
Ready To Buy The Best Attic Antenna?
A TV antenna for your attic is a great way to enjoy TV channels. With the right outdoor antenna, you can enjoy your favorite radio broadcasts. Not to mention, TV antennas that are installed in attics are protected from harsh weather conditions, etc.
As opposed to traditional antennas, modern attic antennas are more appealing and are designed to give you the best reception possible. Unfortunately, this is not the case for all the TV antennas available today.
This being the case, you need to be very cautious when shopping for one. Throughout this guide, you will learn the various things you need to choose the best attic antenna today. You might be interested in other products and reviews for the betterment of your living, entertainment, and lifestyle.
Check out the below-mentioned guides for more interesting products.
Great, concise review of brands and what to consider in buying an indoor/attic antenna. One question, which probably seems obvious, but how does one get the coaxial cable from the attic to the tv? Drilling through floors? The roof? If this is the case, I would imagine that you would need somewhere between 30 and 50 feet in a normal two-story home. Is that the case? Thanks!