Are you looking for a decent portable manual band saw that doesn’t cost a fortune? You’ll find that and more in our Baileigh BS-127P review.
This portable band saw can do a good job of cutting through metal without breaking the bank. Despite the compact size, this fantastic tool is surprisingly strong. It delivers the incredible level of power required for heavy-duty jobs like this.
You will be able to use this easy-to-use device just about anywhere, as it is running on 110V power. Whether you are a professional metalsmith or hobbyist passionate about metalworking, this manual band saw will suit your purpose.
In this review, you have a chance to find out everything you ever wanted to know about the Baileigh BS-127P band saw. We will reveal the unique features and benefits of using this product.
Baileigh BS-127P Specs
Table of Contents
- Miter Adjustment: Swivel Head
- Miter Angle: 0-60°
- Return: Manual
- Capacity Rectangular: 5.31″x5″ / 3″x6.75″ / 1.65″x2.9″
- Capacity Square: 5″/3″/1.65″
- Capacity Round: 5″/3″/1.65″
- Blade Size: .5″x.025″x56.69″
- Blade Speed (fpm): 75-246 Variable
- Power: 110V
- Drive: Gear
- Shipping Dimensions: 29x15x19 inches
- Shipping Weight: 55 pounds
- 1-year parts warranty
Baileigh BS-127P Features
- It runs on 110-volt power: The BS-127P is a 110V band saw, meaning it can work in almost any setting. So it can be used just about anywhere.
- Variable blade speed: This variable-speed saw is driven by an inverter that lets you adjust how fast the blade move. Not only does it prolong blade life, but it also allows for the best cut possible. Choose the speed that best suits the material you are working with.
- The 5-inch round capacity: When looking for a metal cutting band saw, pay attention to rectangular, square and round capacity. This particular saw features 5” round capacity.
- It miters up to 60 degrees to the right: Unlike models that involve vise adjustment, the BS-127P uses the swivel head to miter. The swivel-head miter adjustment ensures accurate cuts without compromising the vise holding power.
- Adjustable blade guides: Ball bearing blade guides are adjustable for accurate cuts. In addition to improved cutting accuracy, this will lead to reduced blade friction.
- Stop rod: This feature comes in handy when working with metal. It ensures repeatable results by causing the material to stop at exactly the same length each time.
- Electronic trigger handle: Thanks to this useful feature, you will be able to easily turn your saw on/off.
- Highly portable: At only 56 pounds, this unit is easy to carry around. You will be able to transport it to your project site without much effort.
Baileigh BS-127P vs BS-128P
The BS-128P is an improved version of the BS-127P model. Even though these Baileigh metal cutting band saws have much in common, some distinctive features make a difference.
First of all, the Baileigh BS-128P doubles as a vertical band saw and horizontal pivot-style band saw. All you need to do is raise the head 90 degrees and lock it in. This is not possible with the Baileigh BS-127P.
Apart from that, this multipurpose manual band saw can cut up to 6 inches rectangle and 5 inches round stock at 90 degrees. Just like the BS-127P, it accepts standard .5-inch blades. It miters 45° right and 60° left through swivel-head miter adjustment.
What makes the key difference between these two machines is that the BS-128P includes hydraulic descent. Since the descent is controlled hydraulically, operator efforts are minimal whereas the cuts are very clean.
As for the blade speed, the BS-127P enables you to adjust the speed anywhere from 75-246 fpm. On the other hand, the BS-128P lets you choose from three speeds: 78, 154, and 200 fpm. This is possible thanks to a step pulley — something that cannot be found on other manual band saws.
Benefits of Using the Baileigh BS-127P Band Saw
- Heavy, strong construction – This product features an electro-welded steel framework. That said, you can rest assured that the blade will cut true and straight. Cast iron head and bow make this saw resistant to vibrations.
- High-quality components – From the bottom up, this manual band saw is built to last. It includes components of the highest quality to be sturdy and reliable.
- Highly adjustable – Depending on your needs, the blade can get closer or farther from the material you are cutting. Additionally, the swivel head miter enables you to adjust its speed between 75 and 246 ft/min.
- Replacement parts are always available – Like with other band saws, wear and tear can take its toll on some components after a while. If you need to replace a part, you can always find it in stock. You can expect fast deliveries.
- Lifetime technical support – Baileigh team of experts will help you address any problem with your band saw and answer your questions.
User Feedback & Reviews
As always, it is a good idea to check what people like and don’t like about a particular product. This will help you decide whether that product is a good choice indeed. The same goes for this portable band saw.
You will want it to serve you well for many years. So, to be sure it’s worth investing in this product, take a look at customer reviews.
Most Common Complaints
- Requires hefty maintenance
- Not great for heavy-duty professional tasks
- Limited operational cycle
Most Common Praises
- Great for smaller production runs and one-handed cuts
- Perfect for hobbyists
- Variable blade speed – The speed can be adjusted anywhere from 75 to 246 fpm
- Operable by adjustable ball bearing blade guides
- Decent cutting capacity – The 5” round capacity is quite enough for most metal cutting tasks
- Very durable – It can withstand repeated abuse without any sustaining damage
How Much Does the Baileigh BS-127P Manual Band Saw Cost?
When it comes to the cost, it pays to sift through all the options available to find the best deal. That’s because the price difference can be substantial.
That said, you can expect to spend somewhere between $600 and $950, depending on where you buy from. If you are on a tight budget and can’t afford to buy a semi-automatic or automatic saw, the Baileigh BS-127P manual band saw can be a good alternative.
Baileigh has designed this manual portable band saw for just about any capacity and budget. It can take a serious beating while providing high productivity for many years to come.
Manual band saws have some advantages over their automatic and semi-automatic counterparts. If you are not sure whether the BS-127P saw is right for you, take these things into consideration:
- It is cheaper than most automatic and semi-automatic saws.
- This metal cutting band saw is suitable for one-offs and smaller production runs.
- It allows you to manage the cutting cycle according to your needs.
Keep in mind that this portable manual saw is not suited for large production runs. It is particularly suitable for hobbyists and small shops.
If you need a metal cutting band saw that can handle transitions and bundles between cuts, then an automatic model would be a better choice. Otherwise, the Baileigh BS-127P portable saw will serve the purpose just fine.