For many patients today, remembering to take their medication on time is becoming a challenge.
This may be as a result of a busy schedule or old age. To avoid this, you should consider investing in some of the best automatic pill dispensers today.
Some of the modern dispensers are designed to help you avoid accidental overdose as well. With such a gadget, it will be comparatively easier to keep track of your doses, pills and schedules (Source).
Just as is the case with any other gadget today, you need to consider several things while shopping for the right automatic pill dispenser.
In this regard, you need to compare the various models on such merits as the holding capacity, alarm system, programming capabilities and security features.
Best Automatic Pill Dispensers 2019
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Automatic Pill Dispensers 2019
- 2 1. Ezy Dose Weekly AM/PM Pop-Out Pill Planner – Best Overall
- 3 2. LiveFine Automatic Pill Dispenser – Best Pill Dispenser for Alternate Treatment Protocols
- 4 3. MedCenter (70265) 31 Day Pill Organizer – The Best Talking Alarm Automatic Pill Dispenser
- 5 4. SURVIVE! Vitamins Pill Organizer – The Best Pill Organizer Below $20
- 6 5. GMS Med-e-lert 28 Day Automatic Pill Dispenser – The Most Secure Automatic Pill Dispenser
- 7 Things You Must Know Before Buying an Automatic Pill Dispenser
- 8 Our Final Review
|Ezy Dose Weekly AM/PM Pop-Out Pill Planner|
|LiveFine Automatic Pill Dispenser|
|MedCenter (70265) 31 Day Pill Organizer|
|SURVIVE! Vitamins Pill Organizer|
|GMS Med-e-lert 28 Day Automatic Pill Dispenser|
1. Ezy Dose Weekly AM/PM Pop-Out Pill Planner – Best OverallAs an elderly patient or caretaker, you should consider having the Weekly Am/Pm Pop-Out Pill Planner by Ezy Dose. Why, you must be wondering. This gadget has all the features you need to schedule your weekly medication, yet is relatively affordable. You will also love its simple, elegant and portable design. Additionally, the pill organizer is relatively easy to use; featuring push buttons and lids that are easy to open.
With regards to convenience, this product has two separate compartments for each day—the AM/PM compartments. What’s more, the product features clear lids. This makes it impossible for you to miss doses as everything is visible from the outside. You will also like the holding capacity of this dispenser. Each of the compartments in the Ezy Dose Weekly Pop-Out dispenser is designed to hold up to 30 aspirin tablets.
This gives you plenty of room for all your daily medications. Owing to its huge capacity, clear lid design and ease of use, this product is recommended for Arthritis patients.
2. LiveFine Automatic Pill Dispenser – Best Pill Dispenser for Alternate Treatment ProtocolsAre you tired of missing or mixing up your doses? Get the LiveFine Automatic Pill Dispenser and this will be a thing of the past. One of the things that make this product a preferred choice is its holding capacity. The dispenser comprises of 18 slots, each of which have a large capacity. As such, you will not need to refill your dispenser every now and then. The unit is secure enough and will keep your medicines locked away until you need them.
The effective alerts and timer used on this gadget will remind you when you are supposed to take your doses, least you forget. Another fascinating aspect of this product is the fact that it is easily programmable. In this regard, it features an easy to use LCD interface. Through this interface, you can easily alter such aspects as the drug regime. Using this screen ad controls, you can also program alerts, set the clock and alter the alarm volume.
The alarm itself is loud enough for hard-of-hearing patients. In case you fail to hear the alarm, the unit has a blinking red light to remind you. The device allows you to choose any of its 4 unique alarm tones. The alarm will keep on buzzing until you retrieve your dosage from the dispenser. What about its capacity?
The LiveFine drug dispenser features 28 compartments. Each of the compartments on this unit can hold up to 18 small-sized tablets. With this dispenser, you only need to place a dose in each of the slots and then program the unit, in accordance to your drug regime. However, it will give you peace of mind as your will not need to refill it every now and then.
3. MedCenter (70265) 31 Day Pill Organizer – The Best Talking Alarm Automatic Pill DispenserThe med Center 70265 is among the best units out there as far as convenience is concerned. To begin with, it allows you to set up to four different reminders. The intuitive notification system features a friendly alarm that will notify you the date, time and dosage to take. For instance, the system will tell you, “good morning, please take the morning pills for the 15th of March”. You will then have to press the acknowledgement button to confirm your compliance.
Once you have confirmed your compliance, the dispenser will also alert you when the next dosage is due. This makes it easier for you to keep track of your dosages. The unit allows you to choose between extra loud and loud sound levels, depending on how sensitive your ears are. Additionally, the device is equipped with a green and red color coding to show you when the daily dose is completed.
4. SURVIVE! Vitamins Pill Organizer – The Best Pill Organizer Below $20If you are having a hard time observing your drug regime, you may need to invest in the Survive Vitamins pill organizer. The translucent lids of the various compartments on this organizer make it impossible for you to miss dosages. The affordability and ease of use may be other reasons why this product is so popular among patients today. While the unit is priced below $15, it is will keep your pills, supplements or vitamins organized throughout the week.
With regards to sizing, this pill organizer comprises of 14 compartments. If your prescription requires you to take one pill a day, you can go for 14 days without having to refill the dispenser. However, you need to refill it every week, if you are using the AM and PM drug regime option. The product features a rather simple design, which makes it easy to use. To open the compartments, you only have to push the conveniently positioned red and blue buttons.
5. GMS Med-e-lert 28 Day Automatic Pill Dispenser – The Most Secure Automatic Pill DispenserThe GMS Med-e-lert Automatic pill dispenser is considers to b e one of the best tools for patients suffering from vision loss or mental illness. Basically, it is rated one of the best for simplifying and organizing the more complex drug regimes. With this unit in your home, you will not have any problem remembering drug amounts and times. One of the impressive features of this product is its 6 programmable alarms.
In this regard, you can set up to 6 alarms each day. The alarm will go on buzzing for 30 minutes or until you dispense your pills. To lock this automatic pill dispenser more securely, you are required to turn it over whenever you are not using it. However, the unit features a tamper-proof locking mechanism to prevent the medication from falling into the wrong hands.
Things You Must Know Before Buying an Automatic Pill Dispenser
Regardless of the illness you are suffering from, you must have realized how easy it is for you to forget taking the medicines. This is particularly the case for patients on complex medical regimes.
You probably know that skipping a dosage is not good for your health. So, how can you ensure that you take your medicine in time every day?
If you are looking forward to observing your prescription to the latter, you should consider buying one of the best automatic pill dispensers today. However, choosing the best unit in the market today is not that easy. This is mainly because there are numerous pill dispensers to choose from.
To end up with the best unit, here are some of the aspects you should consider:
1. The Warning Mechanism
The Alarm in any automatic pill dispenser is among the most important components. In this regard, you need to buy a unit with an effective alarm. While trying out the various makes and models of pill dispensers, you will realize that some are louder than others. It is advisable to opt for the alarm volume you are comfortable with. If you have hearing problems, you may need to choose a model that is relatively louder.
In addition to sounds and buzzers, some of these gadgets are equipped with flashing lights. With such a warning system in place, the lights will let you know when it is time to take your medicines—should you fail to hear the alarm.
2. Programming Capabilities
Almost all the modern pill dispensers in the market are programmable. However, the level of programming allowed by these units varies from one model to another. When shopping for the best automatic pill dispenser, you should get one that can accommodate your prescription. In this regard, the unit should be able to dispense medicine the number of times you need in a day.
While there are certain models that can dispense up to 6 times in a day, some can only dispense up to 4 times. Some of the available dispensers are highly customizable, in this regard. Such units will allow you to program the medicine reminder and choose such things as the alarm sound, the interval between subsequent alarms, and the volume of the alarm sound.
How many pills can your preferred automatic pill dispenser hold? This is another consideration you need to make while choosing the right one. The holding capacity of these units is mainly determined by two main things:
- The total number of slots they have
- The number of pills each of the available slots can hold
Basically, pill dispensers feature rotating trays that have slots. Therefore, the slots on this tray should be able to hold a dosage for a particular time. Buying a unit that has a relatively large capacity means that you won’t need to refill it every now and then. For instance, if your preferred unit has 28 slots and you need to take 3 pills per day, you will need to refill your dispenser after every 9 days. If your medication comprises of larger tablets or capsules, you need to buy a unit with larger tray slots.
4. Security Features
You do not want the kids to open your dispenser and end up tempering with your medication, right? Therefore, you should consider the level of security offered by your preferred pill dispenser as well. In this regard, it is advisable to buy a locking, timed dispenser that features a solid construction. For enhanced security, you may buy one that comes with several security features on the lid.
Our Final Review
Personal preferences for an automatic pill dispenser may vary from one patient to another. However, there here are certain things that a good dispenser ought to have. For instance, it is advisable to buy a drug dispenser that is spacious, secure, and easy to use and has an effective notification system. However, you may be looking for a product that is affordable, right?
In such a case, the SURVIVE! Vitamins Pill Organizer will save the day. However, it is not small enough to carry around in a travel bag or purse. If you are living with kids in the house or are a care taker of an elderly patient, you must be worried of overdosing and drugs falling into the wrong hands.
In such a case, you need to invest in a drug organizer that has a good locking mechanism, such as the GMS Med-e-lert 28 Day Automatic Pill Dispenser.
All in all, what works for one patient or drug regime may not be ideal for another patient. However, the various considerations discussed in this guide will make it easier for you to choose the right unit. Take your time and try to get the best value for your money while shopping for the best automatic pill dispenser.