For many patients today, remembering to take their medication on time is becoming a challenge.
This may be as a result of a busy schedule or old age. To avoid this, you should consider investing in some of the best automatic pill dispensers today.
Additionally, some of the more modern dispensers are designed to help you avoid accidental overdose as well. With such a gadget, it will be comparatively easier to keep track of your doses, pills, and schedules (Source).
Just as is the case with any other gadget today, you need to consider several things while shopping for the right automatic pill dispenser.
In this regard, you need to compare the various models on merits like the holding capacity, alarm system, programming capabilities, and security features.
Best Automatic Pill Dispensers 2019
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Automatic Pill Dispensers 2019
- 2 1. Ezy Dose Weekly AM/PM Pop-Out Pill Planner – Best Overall
- 3 2. LiveFine Automatic Pill Dispenser – Best Pill Dispenser for Alternate Treatment Protocols
- 4 3. MedCenter (70265) 31 Day Pill Organizer – The Best Talking Alarm Automatic Pill Dispenser
- 5 4. SURVIVE! Vitamins Pill Organizer – The Best Pill Organizer Below $20
- 6 5. GMS Med-e-lert 28 Day Automatic Pill Dispenser – The Most Secure Automatic Pill Dispenser
- 7 Things You Must Know Before Buying an Automatic Pill Dispenser
- 8 FAQs About Automatic Pill Dispensers
- 9 Our Final Take
|Ezy Dose Weekly AM/PM Pop-Out Pill Planner|
|LiveFine Automatic Pill Dispenser|
|MedCenter (70265) 31 Day Pill Organizer|
|SURVIVE! Vitamins Pill Organizer|
|GMS Med-e-lert 28 Day Automatic Pill Dispenser|
1. Ezy Dose Weekly AM/PM Pop-Out Pill Planner – Best OverallAs an elderly patient or caretaker, you should consider having the Weekly Am/Pm Pop-Out Pill Planner by Ezy Dose. This gadget is relatively affordable and has all the features you need to schedule your weekly medication.
Furthermore, you may also love its simple, elegant, and portable design. Plus, it is easy to use; featuring push buttons and lids that are quick to open.
With regards to convenience, this product has two separate compartments for each day— the AM/PM compartments. What’s more, the product features clear lids. Hence, you can conveniently see which medications are which.
Similarly, this pill storage container is designed to hold up to 30 aspirin tablets in each of its compartments. This gives you plenty of room for all your daily medications.
Thus, with its huge capacity, clear lid design, and ease of use, this product is recommended for Arthritis patients.
2. LiveFine Automatic Pill Dispenser – Best Pill Dispenser for Alternate Treatment ProtocolsAre you tired of missing or mixing up your doses? Get the LiveFine Automatic Pill Dispenser and this will be a thing of the past.
One notable feature of this automatic pill dispenser with alarm is its capacity to hold 18 small-sized tablets in each of its 28 compartments. Moreover, the unit is secure enough and will keep your medicines locked away until you need them as well.
Additionally, the active alerts and timer used on this gadget will remind you when you are supposed to take your doses. Alongside that, this product is also easily programmable. It features an easy to use LCD interface where you can easily alter aspects such as the drug regime, program alerts, and alarm volume.
More importantly, the alarm itself is loud enough for hard-of-hearing patients. Likewise, if case you fail to hear the alarm, the unit has a blinking red light to remind you alongside the nonstop buzzing.
Thus, this is one of the best automatic pill dispenders for seniors.
3. MedCenter (70265) 31 Day Pill Organizer – The Best Talking Alarm Automatic Pill DispenserThe MedCenter 70265 is among the best units out there as far as convenience is concerned. To begin with, it allows you to set up to four different reminders. The intuitive notification system features a friendly alarm that will notify you of the date, time, and dosage to take.
For instance, the system will tell you, “good morning, please take the morning pills for the 15th of March”. You will then have to press the acknowledgement button to confirm your compliance.
Once you have confirmed your compliance, the dispenser will also alert you when the next dosage is due. This makes it easier for you to keep track of your dosages. The unit allows you to choose between extra loud and loud sound levels, depending on how sensitive your ears are. Additionally, the device is equipped with a green and red color coding to show you when the daily dose is completed.
4. SURVIVE! Vitamins Pill Organizer – The Best Pill Organizer Below $20If you are having a hard time observing your drug regime, you may need to invest in the Survive Vitamins pill organizer. The translucent lids of the various compartments on this organizer make it impossible for you to miss dosages.
More than that, this weekly pill dispenser is only priced below $15. With regards to sizing, this pill organizer comprises of 14 compartments. If your prescription requires you to take one pill a day, you can go for 14 days without having to refill the dispenser.
Additionally, the product features a rather simple design which makes it easy to use. To open the compartments, you only have to push the conveniently positioned red and blue buttons.
5. GMS Med-e-lert 28 Day Automatic Pill Dispenser – The Most Secure Automatic Pill DispenserThe GMS Med-e-lert Automatic pill dispenser is considers to be one of the best tools for patients suffering from vision loss or mental illness. Basically, it is rated one of the best for simplifying and organizing the more complex drug regimes.
Notably, it features six programmable alarms. Hence, you can set up to 6 alarms each day. The alarm will buzz for 30 minutes or until you dispense your pills.
Meanwhile, to lock this automatic pill dispenser more securely, you are required to turn it over whenever you are not using it. Alongside that, this daily pill holder also features a tamper-proof locking mechanism to prevent the medication from falling into the wrong hands.
Things You Must Know Before Buying an Automatic Pill Dispenser
Regardless of the illness you are suffering from, you must have realized how easy it is for you to forget taking the medicines. This is particularly the case for patients on complex medical regimes.
You probably know that skipping a dosage is not good for your health. So, how can you ensure that you take your medicine on time every day?
If you are looking forward to observing your prescription to the latter, you should consider buying one of the best automatic pill dispensers today. However, choosing the best unit in the market today is not that easy. This is mainly because there are numerous pill dispensers to choose from.
To end up with the best unit, here are some of the aspects you should consider:
1. The Warning Mechanism
The Alarm in any automatic pill dispenser is among the most important component. Therefore, you need to buy a unit with an effective alarm. While trying out the various makes and models of pill dispensers, you will realize that some are louder than others. It is advisable to opt for the alarm volume you are comfortable with.
In addition to sounds and buzzers, some of these gadgets are equipped with flashing lights, too.
2. Programming Capabilities
Almost all the modern pill dispensers in the market are programmable. However, the level of programming allowed by these units varies from one model to another. When shopping for the best automatic pill dispenser, you should get one that can accommodate your prescription. In this regard, the unit should be able to dispense medicine the number of times you need in a day.
While there are certain models that can dispense up to 6 times in a day, some can only dispense up to 4 times.
How many pills can your preferred automatic pill dispenser hold? This is another consideration you need to make while choosing the right one. The holding capacity of these units is mainly determined by two main things:
- The total number of slots they have
- The number of pills each of the available slots can hold
Basically, pill dispensers feature rotating trays that have slots. Therefore, the slots on this tray should be able to hold a dosage for a particular time. Buying a unit that has a relatively large capacity means that you won’t need to refill it every now and then.
For instance, if your preferred unit has 28 slots and you need to take 3 pills per day, you will need to refill your dispenser after every 9 days. If your medication comprises of larger tablets or capsules, you need to buy a unit with larger tray slots.
4. Security Features
You do not want the kids to open your dispenser and end up tampering with your medication, right? Hence, you should consider the level of security offered by your preferred pill dispenser as well. In this regard, it is advisable to buy a locking, timed dispenser that features a solid construction. For enhanced security, you may buy one that comes with several security features on the lid.
FAQs About Automatic Pill Dispensers
Q: Does Medicare cover automatic pill dispensers?
No, Medicare does not cover automatic pill dispensers or any electronic reminder.
Q: What is an automatic pill dispenser?
As its name suggests, it automatically reminds you of the time and day you’re supposed to take your medicine and dispenses them to you.
Our Final Take
The SURVIVE! Vitamins Pill Organizer is the best affordable automatic pill dispenser on this list. However, it is not small enough to carry around in a travel bag or purse.
Meanwhile, if you are living with kids or an elderly patient, you may be worried about overdosing or the drugs falling into the wrong hands. The GMS Med-e-lert 28 Day Automatic Pill Dispenser is excellent as it boasts a lock.
On the other hand, what works for one patient or drug regime may not be ideal for another patient. However, the various considerations discussed in this guide will make it easier for you to choose the right unit.