An automatic gate, also known as an electric gate, is a gate that uses an electric motor to open and close. The best automatic gate opener will have a heavy-duty and long-lasting mechanism, a high battery capacity, and will feature customizable security alerts.
Automatic gates provide both convenience and security. Having one means that you no longer have to get out of your car to open and close your gate, and it always stays locked. Using secure wireless transmitters, automatic gates will only open and close when you allow them to, so strangers won’t be able to get in (Source).
Most automatic gates work by using solar power and batteries, ensuring that they remain operational during a blackout. A simple electric motor and chain are used to swing the gate open and closed. If you are interested in increasing your home’s security, and you are tired of having to manually open and close your gate all the time, getting an automatic gate will change your life (Source).
When it comes to automatic gates, there is a lot to take into consideration before making a purchase. Before buying an automatic gate, you should consider its warranty, price, durability, and its controller’s ease of use.
In this list, we will take a look at all the top-rated automatic gates. All of the models in this review will conveniently and securely open a gate, whether you are a contractor building new houses, or a homeowner wanting to add the convenience and security of an automatic gate to your property.
Which Is The Best Automatic Gate Opener For My Swing Gate?
Table of Contents
- 1 Which Is The Best Automatic Gate Opener For My Swing Gate?
- 2 How Much Does an Automatic Electric Gate Opener Cost?
- 3 Quick Overview of the Top 5 Automatic Gate Openers
- 4 1. Liftmaster LA400PKGU – Most Durable Automatic Gate Opener
- 5 2. Mighty Mule MM572W – Best Dual Gate Opener
- 6 3. Ghost Controls TSS1XP – Best Solar Gate Opener
- 7 4. ALEKO AC1400 – Best Automatic Sliding Gate Opener
- 8 5. Mighty Mule MM-SL2000B – Heavy Duty Automatic Gate Opener
- 9 6. Homeland Hardware Automatic Dual Swing Gate Openers – Best Commercial Automatic Gate Opener
- 10 7. TOPENS CK700 – Most Powerful Automatic Gate Opener
- 11 8. GATEXPERT AT1350 – Affordable, Yet Powerful Gate Opener
- 12 9. TOPENS (A8S) – Best Automatic Gate Opener Under $500
- 13 10. CO-Z Sliding Gate Opener – Best Sliding Gate Opener
- 14 How Does an Automatic Gate Opener Work?
- 15 How To Choose An Automatic Gate Opener?
- 16 Tips For Choosing An Electric Gate Opener
- 17 Types of Automatic Gate Opener Remotes
- 18 Are Electric Gates Secure?
- 19 Factors to Consider Before Buying
- 20 Ready To Buy The Best Automatic Gate Opener?
If you are looking for a reliable option to swing open a gate automatically, then Ghost Controls DTP1 could be worth an investment. This versatile equipment is quiet and fast post mount for Decorative Swing-type Gates.
It gives you the flexibility of charging it with an AC or solar-power unit to open gates of moderate sizes efficiently. With an expert technician, you can even install it in a vertical position to swing open garage doors.
Additionally, the price is also not that bad if you want to try such equipment for the first time.
How Much Does an Automatic Electric Gate Opener Cost?
Automatic gate openers are available in multiple sizes, types, and features. These attributes also differentiate their costs. Lower end models may cost as little as $300, serving the purpose of opening and closing garage doors with weight up to 1400 lbs.
Most automatic gate openers cost anywhere between $1,000 to $12,000. High-end models cost more but have the ability to open doors and gates weighing several tons.
Additionally, higher-end models open and close multiple gates at the same time. These openers also work with a remote control or sensors to give you more flexibility. Solar-powered battery units keep them working without the need to recharge.
Quick Overview of the Top 5 Automatic Gate Openers
|Mighty Mule MM572W|
|Ghost Controls TSS1XP|
|Mighty Mule MM-SL2000B|
1. Liftmaster LA400PKGU – Most Durable Automatic Gate Opener
No products found.While it comes at a higher price point than some of its rivals, the Liftmaster LA400PKGU is a very capable gate opener that will impress users to no end. It delivers performance and durability that you are not going to find in any other product.
One of the best aspects of this gate opener is that it uses a MyQ Technology. Thanks to this technology, you are able to operate the gate opener through a smartphone, tablet or a computer.
Being able to use the gate through these devices is so helpful, especially if you have many family members coming in and out of the property each day. You will not have to worry about someone being without access to the remote. They will have the gate’s code synced up with their smartphone and that is enough.
Thanks to its high capacity solar powered battery, the gate has up to 400 cycles in its charge capacity. You do not have to worry about it ever running out of juice, even if you have a week of cloudy weather and you are using it all the time!
- Heavy duty mechanism that will last for decades.
- High capacity battery.
- Works with MyQ Technology, meaning you can control the gate opener with a smartphone or computer.
- Works with swing gates up to 16 feet or 850 pounds!
- Features customizable security alerts.
2. Mighty Mule MM572W – Best Dual Gate Opener
Works with gates that are up to 18 feet long and 850 pounds in weight. Will not work with gates that exceed these specifications. The MM572W is one of the best gate openers for those who want to install everything themselves. It comes with a detailed instructional manual and a useful DVD that shows you the installation process.
Will work with ornamental, tube, panel, vinyl and chain link dual swing gates without any issues. Features a single button remote for very easy access. The Mighty Mule gate opener will not open without activation, which ensures maximum security for your home.
- One of the best gate openers on the market for dual swing gates.
- AC-powered and solar capable. If you wish to go with a solar solution, purchase the company’s accompanying Solar Panel.
- Works with all dual gate types.
- Easy to install thanks to the instructional manual and informative DVD that come with the product.
- Is not a heavy duty model, which means longer and heavier gates are not compatible.
3. Ghost Controls TSS1XP – Best Solar Gate Opener
You also have the benefit of knowing that you are purchasing from an American company that makes its products domestically. If there are any warranty issues or you need new parts, you should not have an issue contacting the manufacturer for assistance.
This gate opener will work nicely with a typical residential gate. It is also heavy-duty enough to handle a farm gate. And thanks to the SafeForce Technology that is built into the device, the gate opener will only use the amount of force that is necessary to get your gate open. You do not have to worry about anyone getting hurt while the device is opening or closing the gate – the motion is very steady.
- Excellent solar-powered option for residential and farm gates.
- Works with swing gates up to 20 feet and 300 pounds.
- SafeForce Technology ensures smooth gate opening to avoid any injuries to passersby.
- Operational through both solar power and a low voltage DC power system. Great for areas where AC power is not accessible.
- Remote works up to 100 yards.
4. ALEKO AC1400 – Best Automatic Sliding Gate Opener
Even if your gate is as long as 50 feet, the AC1400 will handle the opening without any problems. Homeowners who have a massive sliding gate at the front of their home will be very happy with this news. And the gate opener has a steel chassis, ensuring ultimate durability and longevity.
Despite the durable nature of the gate opener and its heavy-duty capacity, it is very easy to install. It is a lightweight gate opener that one person can install without a problem. You will need to read the instruction manual very carefully because you do not want to make any mistakes.
It features a high-performance motor and contains two sensors for easy operation.
- Works with sliding gates up to 1400 lb and 50 ft.
- Easy to install.
- The opener is corrosion resistant and its steel exterior means it will last a very long time.
- Some customers have complaints about warranty issues.
5. Mighty Mule MM-SL2000B – Heavy Duty Automatic Gate Opener
It is hard to imagine anyone having a residential gate that is too heavy to work with the MM-SL2000B. It works through a 12 volt DC motor and can be used with a solar kit if you want. Mighty Mule sells Solar Panels that are compatible with this gate opener.
The compact nature of this device means that it will easily fit into the smallest of spaces. If you are desiring a powerful gate opener that does not take up much space, it is the ideal product for you.
- Works with single sliding gates up to 30 feet and 1000 lb on each leaf.
- Solar compatible through a panel you will need to purchase.
- Runs on DC power.
- Very easy to install.
- Opens each foot within a second.
- Only for single swing gates.
6. Homeland Hardware Automatic Dual Swing Gate Openers – Best Commercial Automatic Gate Opener
Plus, it’s fast and powerful, as well as being the highest rated automatic gate opener on the list. For the price, it would be hard to find a better commercial automatic gate opener.
The 18 Ft. Solar Powered Automatic Dual Swing Gate Opener is one large, powerful device. It carries the capacity to effortlessly open and close gates as wide as 45 feet. It can also handle gates that weigh up to 836 pounds. So, it’s a very heavy-duty automatic gate opener that’s perfect for golf courses, exclusive clubs, large estates, and more.
It features the Eagle Diamond Board, which claims to be the most advanced, easy to use automatic gate opener control board in the market. Plus, it provides a manual foot pedal operation feature that lets gate operators manually stop the gate’s movement in case of an emergency or accident.
- Amazing value for the price
- Advanced safety features
- Built with high-quality, durable materials
- Extremely easy to use
- Five-year limited warranty
- May be too expensive for the average homeowner
7. TOPENS CK700 – Most Powerful Automatic Gate OpenerTOPENS DK1000S can move fences that weigh up to 1,600 pounds and are 40 feet in length. It truly is a powerful device that’s perfect for residential, farm, courtyard, and commercial use. Plus, it’s the most powerful, heavy-duty automatic gate opener on our list.
Its superior performance comes from its powerful 300 watt, 2/5 horsepower (HP) motor made with pure copper wire. It can either be powered by an electric AC power source, or by a high-performing, low energy consumption battery and solar battery.
The TOPENS DK1000S can easily move a variety of gate types. These include steel driveway gates and gates constructed from wood, vinyl, and even chain-link. On top of that, it’s quite durable as you might imagine, able to operate in a broad spectrum of harsh temperatures, ranging from -4 degrees Fahrenheit to 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
To top it all off, it is very quiet and smooth when in operation, which is surprising for such a powerful machine. You won’t be waking any neighbors up with this powerhouse gate opener.
- Company has great customer service that keeps customers satisfied
- More power than any other on the list
- Operating remote has a great distance range
- Does not include a mount for batteries when purchased—you must buy them separately
8. GATEXPERT AT1350 – Affordable, Yet Powerful Gate Opener
Plus, it costs a fraction of the price of the more expensive models on the list. It’s a great option for those who are looking for a powerful gate opener while on a tight budget.
Users report it to be very quiet while operating. It’s also easy to use, with a user-friendly, intuitive remote that makes opening and closing it a breeze.
It includes an infrared safety feature that automatically opens the gate if something (or someone) obstructs its path while closing. Plus, it boasts a large range of operation. Users can open the gate with the battery powered remote from as far away as 100 feet.
All in all, you couldn’t ask for a better automatic gate opener for the price; you’ll be shocked when you see its price tag.
- A price that can’t be beat
- User-friendly and intuitive
- More powerful than models five times its price
- Automatic close time settings
- Great customer service and support
- Installation instructions are difficult to follow for some users
9. TOPENS (A8S) – Best Automatic Gate Opener Under $500
It features an electromagnetic limit switch that makes adjusting the gate a simple process. Moreover, it features soft start and soft stop capabilities that slow the gate down as it nears the end of its opening or closing range. This extends the life of the gate opener and the gate itself considerably.
As far as safety is concerned, the TOPENS (A8S) has you covered. Its automatic stop and reverse feature ensures that no one or nothing gets closed in the gate. Plus, its adjustable auto close feature has a range from 3 to 120 seconds for maximum flexibility. For a gate opener priced under $500, this model is a winner and is very popular with users.
- Simple operation with one-click opening and closing
- Automatic opening via built-in motion sensors
- Surveillance camera with a built-in remote control
- Wireless keypad
- Its battery is required for use but not included and must be purchased separately
10. CO-Z Sliding Gate Opener – Best Sliding Gate Opener
The power this gate opener possesses is produced by its integrated 550 watt AC motor. This motor moves the gate very smoothly at a speed of roughly 40 feet per minute. Plus, it does this while producing less than 60 decibels of noise.
The ability to set the CO-Z Sliding Gate Opener to automatically close at set intervals once you pass through is popular with users. As well, it includes an auto stop and reverse safety feature that prevents accidental injuries.
All of this makes this CO-Z model a hit with consumers, and with us, which is why it made our list. Plus, at its price point, it could easily be called the automatic gate opener that delivers the best value for the money.
- Powerful motor with quiet operation
- Incredible value for the money
- Durable, long-lasting build
- Auto closing features
- Some users report a squeaking sound when the gate is in operation (NOTE: we have not verified that)
How Does an Automatic Gate Opener Work?
An automatic gate opener operates electrically to operate a door, barrier, or gate without manual involvement. Such gate openers usually comprise of an electrical system that works through remote operation, sensors, or a keypad.
For instance, an automatic gate opener with a sensor will sense your presence in the vicinity and will open or close the gate for you. The sensor sends an electric signal to the gate opener’s electric motor, which puts the barrier into motion.
Furthermore, automatic gate openers can slide or swing the gate open or close without the need to apply manual force. These systems comprise a control box that is attached to the gate. This control box receives all the radio or sensory signals.
After that, the control box stimulates the motor to move the gate from its stationary position. The electric signal can be transmitted to such openers through battery units usually. However, these openers also come with solar panels to keep their batteries fueled for the long term.
How To Choose An Automatic Gate Opener?
Before buying an electric or automatic gate opener, you need to be aware of certain things. The automatic gate opener features that we discuss in this post will help you understand if a particular type is right to buy. To choose a new electric gate opener, you need to keep in mind the following things:
- Gate Size: One of the factors that determine your choice of electric gate opener is the gate’s size, as it will help you understand the amount of motorized power needed to open and close the gate. The larger the gate, the more power you will need to operate it.
- Gate Type: You might also need to choose the type of gate you want for your property. You can find plenty of models, which are all quite capable of going their job. Some of the popular types are automatic dual openers, sliding openers, swing openers. Each of these gate types has a unique trait that can suit your requirements.
- Operability: You also need to understand your choice based on the way the gate opens. Electric gates open in several ways, like swing or slide. Their operability can save you a lot of space around the gate without compromising the looks or functionality.
- Cost: Besides the functions and looks, you also need to keep in mind the equipment’s price. Some gate openers can be cheap, while others can be pretty expensive. Make sure you have a budget planned in your mind before spending on a gate opener.
Tips For Choosing An Electric Gate Opener
If you are going to buy an electric gate opener for the first time, you have to go through this section to make the right choice. We will share some tips to help you make the right choice when purchasing an automatic gate opener for your property. Plus, these tips will make it easier for you to invest in the right kind of gear for your gate.
- Keep In Mind the Opener Material Quality: If you are going to use the gate motors every day, you will need them in high-quality and durable materials, ensuring optimum efficiency. So, before you buy them, make sure that you check their quality properly before purchasing so that the hardware you are going to mount on your gate remains in top condition for many years to come.
- Ensure That the Opener System Is Easy to Assemble: If you are going to install the gate openers yourself and do not want to invest in a professional to mount them for you, make sure to choose a system that is simple to install. On top of that, the automatic gate opener needs to include an understandable operating manual.
- Keep In Mind the Temperature Range: You also need to choose a piece of equipment that can withstand extreme temperature conditions without losing its functionality. Additionally, the gate opener should be water-resistant, dustproof, etc.
- Inspect the Running Spree and Traction: These two factors will help you determine the gate opener system’s performance. Electric gate openers need to have at least 500N of pulling force to perform well. Also, the motors should ideally operate at an 11 cm per second tops.
- Inspect the Power Consumption: Automatic gate openers need electricity to function. Thus, you need to track how much electrical energy these systems consume when operating. You will also have to check the amount of energy used when the standby mode is on. While most modern gate openers are energy-efficient, it does not hurt to know their energy consumption limits.
- Find a Gate Opener with Emergency Features: You never know when a power outage occurs in your area. To deal with that, your gate opener system should have an emergency operation mode that will let you use the gate without worrying about electricity.
Types of Automatic Gate Opener Remotes
Before choosing an automatic gate opener, you need to understand the additional features you can get from them. Some features might intrigue you more than others. We have listed down the most prominent ones so you can decide while choosing an electric opener.
- Battery-Operated Remotes: These are the most common types of remotes you can use to control your gate. Remote controls for automatic gate openers usually work with a two-button mechanism for opening and closing the gate from a distance. You need to have at least this feature to ensure that your automatic gate opener opens and closes without a hassle.
- RF Gate Openers: Another type of gate opener you can find online is a radio frequency opener. These incorporate radio frequency that travels as a signal, sending information to the gate opener to open or close it. RF signals are slower than other remote-controlled gate openers. So, many users might not prefer it as an efficient choice at times.
- Bluetooth Remotes: These remotes utilize Bluetooth technology to operate gates. Bluetooth signals are fast, which makes them efficient at opening and closing gates with quick responses. However, Bluetooth remotes might not have a long-distance range, so you will need to be within the field of range to operate the gate using this device.
- IR Remote Control: Infrared remotes have been in existence for several decades now, as these are cost-effective and durable options for operating machines. Plus, IR remotes are fast at sending information. One of their main drawbacks is that you will need to point the remote to the signal-receiver point to operate it. So, users often have trouble aiming their devices to control the gate opener.
Thus, we have given you various popular choices for remote controls available. You can choose the one that suits your needs and conveniences the best.
Are Electric Gates Secure?
Automatic or electric gates are quite secure because of their undisputed sense of safety and security. Such gates are invested with state-of-the-art technologies, enabling them to be sturdy, anti-burglary, anti-theft, and efficient. Additionally, electric gates come with video surveillance and monitoring systems to keep track of every second of activity on your premise. Installing these in your area will ensure that no trespassers enter or leave the place without an inspection.
Factors to Consider Before Buying
Gate openers can work with both major types of gates. Whether you have a swinging or sliding gate in front of your home, a gate opener should work with it without any issues.
The gate operator on a swing gate usually goes on the hinge and operates through a link arm. Think of it as being very similar to a door. These openers are often more expensive, because of the mechanism involved in the gate opening.
If you have a sliding gate, the operator features a chain that attaches across the gate from the right to left – or left to right. Sliding gates are slightly more dangerous than swinging gates, but the appropriate safety mechanisms are usually included within the gate.
When buying a capable gate opener, there are a few questions you should answer beforehand.
- Is your gate a single gate, dual gate, or a sliding gate?
- Is your gate swinging into your property or away from it?
- What is the length and weight of your home’s gate?
If you have a hard time connecting your gate opener to a power source, you may want to go with a solar-powered option. They work just as well as electric-powered gate openers. And, even if you do buy an electric-powered opener, it will have an emergency release feature that keeps it operational during blackouts.
Those who are considering a gate opener for their sliding gate may want to get one that has a “heavy-duty” tag. Sliding gates are often a lot heavier than swinging gates, which is why the heavy-duty opener will be necessary.
With sliding gates, the length of the gate is very important. It is going to determine how hard the gate opener has to work to get your entire gate open. Some gate openers may not be compatible with your sliding gate, depending on its length.
If you have a swinging gate, the swinging motion is relevant to your purchase. Some swinging gates open down the middle to both sides, while other swinging gates open on a single edge. The automatic gate opener you get must be compatible with the style of your swinging gate.
Electric Gates – DC vs AC?
If you are set on getting an electric-powered gate opener, you will need to choose between DC or AC power. DC, or direct current, driven electric gates are a newer entry into the market.
But they are also known to last longer because they run cooler. They are also known for being smaller than AC, or alternating current, openers. The major downside to a DC-powered gate opener is that you will need to pay a higher price.
Solar Powered Gate Openers
If you are a fan of solar power because of its energy efficiency, or you just do not want to deal with electric-powered gate openers, you have good options available to you. Solar-powered gates are very reliable, as they will store the energy needed for operation continuously.
A solar-powered gate opener is also the economical choice, as you will see no increase to your electricity bill while it is in use. And you do not have to worry about the gate functioning during a blackout, as it will continue to operate normally.
The only drawback is that these solar-powered units are not meant for continuous use during the day, as it needs to store a lot of power. However, a normal home should not see the gate used more than three or four times a day.
Auto Opening Features
Whenever you leave your home or workplace through a gate with an automatic gate opener, it’s nice when the door opens automatically as you approach. Motion sensors complete this task. As your vehicle nears the gate and comes close enough to trigger the sensor, the gate automatically opens. This only works when you are leaving, otherwise it would defeat the point of having a safeguard like a gate in the first place.
This is more of a “nice to have” feature than a necessary one. If your automatic gate opener does not include this feature, you shouldn’t rule it out. Unless, of course, this is something that is very important to you. But, again, most of the best models include this feature. So, purchasing a gate opener that includes this feature indicates that you have purchased a reliable device.
Auto Close Mechanism
Many, if not most automatic gate openers today include some sort of automatic closing function. This feature closes the gate once you leave even if you forget to close it with your remote. Having this feature is pretty important because it is almost inevitable that at some point you will leave in a hurry and forget to close the gate behind you.
Auto close mechanisms come in a variety of forms but the most common are those that are pre-programmed to close after a set time interval. That could be 30 seconds, 60 seconds, 90 seconds, etc. This is certainly a feature you should make sure a gate opener has before purchasing it.
This feature has become par for the course, as they say. So, any gate opener model that does not include this feature shouldn’t be purchased for the sheer fact that it is lagging behind automatic gate opener trends.
The way you interact with your gate opener is also important. Almost every modern gate opener will work through remote control. The remote makes it very easy to open the gate when you are right outside and shut it when your car is safely in the driveway.
There are gate openers that work through a keypad or a card reader. But those make more sense for commercial use, as a lot of people are going through the gate each day. Every modern home needs a proper security setup. Whether you are worried about break-ins, or you just want peace of mind, having an automatic gate helps a lot. No one will be able to open that gate when they are outside unless they have the appropriate code.
There is also the added benefit of your gate opening itself when you want to head out or come back in. The annoying process of needing to get up, open your gate, drive your car inside, and then shut the gate will be a thing of the past!
Auto Stop and Reverse
We mentioned this above in our reviews section. Some, if not most, automatic gate openers include this feature. Its purpose is to detect objects in its way. When it senses something in its path as it is closing, it automatically stops and reverses, opening back up.
This is a safety feature that is in fact quite important, especially if you have children or pets who may inadvertently cross the gate’s path while it’s closing. Some automatic gate openers close with such force that they could kill a small animal. If it closed on a human, they would be likely to lose a limb or incur other serious physical injuries.
When you are shopping around for an automatic gate opener for your front gate, keep this feature I the front of your mind. Unless you have no reason to need it, it should be something you require when purchasing an automatic opener.
Most automatic gate openers from trusted brands will come with some type of warranty. It could be a 90-day limited warranty or a five-year extended warranty. Checking out what type of warranty a particular gate opener offers is important. It is a litmus test of sorts. It indicates how confident the gate opener manufacturer is in their product.
The longer the warranty offered, the more confidence the manufacturer has in their product. We dissuade you from purchasing an opener with no warranty at all. You could purchase it, bring it home, find that it doesn’t work, and be stuck with it. The best gate openers come with longer warranties so be sure to keep this in mind as you’re evaluating options.
Ready To Buy The Best Automatic Gate Opener?
Through extensive research and testing, we managed to compile a list of the top five gate openers on the market right now. We hope that our list will make your purchasing decision a lot easier.
Also, read user reviews before settling on a gate opener. Every gate opener manufacturer will tell you their product is the best on the market. But it’s an entirely different thing to hear that from someone who has actually purchased that model and used it in real life.
Vendors, regardless of what they sell, tend to avoid disclosing their product’s downsides. The more reviews there are, the more confident you can be in your purchase. Compare various brands and models before settling on one.
Regardless of what you purchase, whether it’s an automatic gate opener or a doghouse, reading user reviews is a smart step in the evaluation process. Any of these gate openers would work perfectly for your home.
If you are not worried about price, and you want a gate opener with the most features, we believe the Liftmaster LA400PKGU is a fantastic option for swing gates.
I have read through this article, it is really helpful and users can count on these reviews.
Gabe Garbarino says
can anyone verify if Homeland hardware is really just re-branded Aleko? The former seems to just be an Amazon store front. The parts looked very similar, and some reviewers have said they see aleko parts/branding on them.
Gabe Z says
I’ll reach out and report back
Its a nice website. Thanks for giving full information about the Automatic Sliding Gates.