Tired of always having to open your gate when you get home after a long day at work? Hoping to add an extra layer of security to your home? Automatic gates can help with both scenarios.
With an automatic gate, you would never need to worry about opening or closing the gate that provides entrance to your home.
By using wireless transmitters, automatic gates open and close the gate to your home on their own.
Most modern gate openers work by using solar power, ensuring that your gate opener would remain operational during a blackout.
If you are interested in elevating your home security, and you do not want to manually open and close your gate all the time, getting an automatic gate opener will change your life.
If you are confused about what gate opener to buy, our list should help put you on the right track.
Which Is The Best Automatic Gate Opener For My Swing Gate?
Table of Contents
- 1 Which Is The Best Automatic Gate Opener For My Swing Gate?
- 2 How Much Does an Automatic Electric Gate Opener Cost?
- 3 Comparing The Best Automatic Gate Openers
- 4 1. Liftmaster LA400PKGU – Most Durable Automatic Gate Opener
- 5 2. Mighty Mule MM562 – Best Dual Gate Opener
- 6 3. Ghost Controls TSS1XP – Best Solar Gate Opener
- 7 4. ALEKO AC1400 – Best Automatic Sliding Gate Opener
- 8 5. Mighty Mule MM-SL2000B – Heavy Duty Automatic Gate Opener
- 9 Why Do You Need An Automatic Gate Opener?
- 10 How Does an Automatic Gate Opener Work?
- 11 Things You Should Know Before Buying Automatic Gate Openers
- 12 Ready To Buy The Best Automatic Gate Opener?
If you are looking for a reliable option to swing open a gate automatically, then Mighty Mule MM562 could be worth an investment. This versatile equipment has a dual-motor system for opening a dual gate without any issues.
It gives you the flexibility of charging it with an AC or solar-power unit to open gates of moderate sizes efficiently. With an expert technician, you can even install it in a vertical position to swing open garage doors.
Additionally, the price is also not that bad if you want to try such equipment for the first time.
How Much Does an Automatic Electric Gate Opener Cost?
Automatic gate openers are available in multiple sizes, types, and features. These attributes also differentiate their costs. A cheap one might cost around $300, which will serve you purpose of opening and closing garage doors of weight up to 1400 lbs.
For better warranty, practicality, and features, you might like to invest in a sturdier piece of equipment, which can cost you anywhere between $1000 to $12000. The expensive ones do possess the ability to open doors and gates with weight in several tons.
Additionally, costly ones can even open and close multiple gates at the same time. These automatic gate openers are also operational with a remote control or sensors to give you more flexibility.
Moreover, they possess solar-powered battery units to keep them working for the long term without the need to recharge.
Comparing The Best Automatic Gate Openers
|Mighty Mule MM562|
|Ghost Controls TSS1XP|
|Mighty Mule MM-SL2000B|
1. Liftmaster LA400PKGU – Most Durable Automatic Gate OpenerWhile it comes at a higher price point than some of its rivals, the Liftmaster LA400PKGU is a very capable gate opener that will impress users to no end. It delivers performance and durability that you are not going to find in any other product.
One of the best aspects of this gate opener is that it uses a MyQ Technology. Thanks to this technology, you are able to operate the gate opener through a smartphone, tablet or a computer.
Being able to use the gate through these devices is so helpful, especially if you have many family members coming in and out of the property each day. You will not have to worry about someone being without access to the remote. They will have the gate’s code synced up with their smartphone and that is enough.
Thanks to its high capacity solar powered battery, the gate has up to 400 cycles in its charge capacity. You do not have to worry about it ever running out of juice, even if you have a week of cloudy weather and you are using it all the time!
2. Mighty Mule MM562 – Best Dual Gate OpenerNeed a gate opener that can handle your dual-opening swing gate? The Mighty Mule MM562 is a very good choice. It is an electric-powered gate opener that runs through AC power. However, the gate is solar capable if you purchase a Mighty Mule Solar Panel along with it.
Works with gates that are up to 18 feet long and 850 pounds in weight. Will not work with gates that exceed these specifications. The MM562 is one of the best gate openers for those who want to install everything themselves. It comes with a detailed instructional manual and a useful DVD that shows you the installation process.
Will work with ornamental, tube, panel, vinyl and chain link dual swing gates without any issues. Features a single button remote for very easy access. Will not open without activation, which ensures maximum security for your home.
3. Ghost Controls TSS1XP – Best Solar Gate OpenerWant an affordable solar powered gate opener that can handle heavy duty swing gates? If your swing gate is up to 20 feet and 300 pounds, this gate opener will be able to handle the operation without any problems.
You also have the benefit of knowing that you are purchasing from an American company that makes its products domestically. If there are any warranty issues or you need new parts, you should not have an issue contacting the manufacturer for assistance.
This gate opener will work nicely with a typical residential gate. It is also heavy duty enough to handle a farm gate. And thanks to the SafeForce Technology that is built into the device, the gate opener will only use the amount of force that is necessary to get your gate open. You do not have to worry about anyone getting hurt while the device is opening or closing the gate – the motion is very steady.
4. ALEKO AC1400 – Best Automatic Sliding Gate OpenerOne of the top sliding gate openers on the market, the ALEKO AC1400 is a quality option for those who want a no-frills electric-powered gate opener. It is extremely reliable, works with different types of sliding gates and supports up to 1400 lbs in weight.
Even if your gate is as long as 50 feet, the AC1400 will handle the opening without any problems. Homeowners who have a massive sliding gate at the front of their home will be very happy with this news. And the gate opener has a steel chassis, ensuring ultimate durability and longevity.
Despite the durable nature of the gate opener, and its heavy duty capacity, it is very easy to install. It is a lightweight gate opener that one person can install without a problem. You will need to read the instruction manual very carefully, because you do not want to make any mistakes.
It features a high performance motor and contains two sensors for easy operation.
5. Mighty Mule MM-SL2000B – Heavy Duty Automatic Gate OpenerIf you have a massive single slide gate, and you want an opener you can trust, the Mighty Mule MM-SL2000B is a very good choice. It is rated to work with sliding gates that are up to 20 feet long and weigh up to 1000 pounds. That weight capacity is for each leaf of the gate.
It is hard to imagine anyone having a residential gate that is too heavy to work with the MM-SL2000B. It works through a 12 volt DC motor and can be used with a solar kit if you want. Mighty Mule sells Solar Panels that are compatible with this gate opener.
The compact nature of this device means that it will easily fit into the smallest of spaces. If you are desiring a powerful gate opener that does not take up much space, it is the ideal product for you.
Why Do You Need An Automatic Gate Opener?
Automatic gate openers can offer you several benefits that make them worth an investment. Here are a couple of benefits you get from them:
- Ergonomics – You are assured a user-friendly tool that does not involve you to open or close a gate manually. Imagine the frustration of getting out of your vehicle every time to close or open a gate. With an automatic one, you can bid farewell to that discomfort.
- Safety – Automatic gate openers will open based on how you control it to work. If you do not want a particular vehicle or person to enter your premises without your permission, then such a gate opener will not let them come.
- Versatile – Automatic gate openers can adjust as per your needs. You want them to swing or slide to open a gate or door. They will do it for you without issues.
- Programmable – Last, but not the least, you can control automatic gate openers to work through a sensory system or remote control, if you have that type of model with you. Sensors can be triggered with certain tags on your cars to open garage doors or gates.
That makes it easier to keep the gates shut for unidentified individuals or vehicles.
How Does an Automatic Gate Opener Work?
An automatic gate opener operates electrically to operate a door, barrier, or gate without manual involvement. Such gate openers usually comprise of an electrical system that works through remote operation, sensors, or a keypad.
For instance, an automatic gate opener with a sensor will sense your presence in the vicinity and will open or close the gate for you. The sensor sends an electric signal to the gate opener’s electric motor, which puts the barrier into motion.
Furthermore, automatic gate openers can slide or swing the gate open or close without the need to apply manual force. These systems comprise a control box that is attached to the gate. This control box receives all the radio or sensory signals.
After that, the control box stimulates the motor to move the gate from its stationary position. The electric signal can be transmitted to such openers through battery units usually. However, these openers also come with solar panels to keep their batteries fueled for the long term.
Things You Should Know Before Buying Automatic Gate Openers
Gate openers can work with both major types of gates. Whether you have a swinging or sliding gate in front of your home, a gate opener should work with it without any issues.
The gate operator on a swing gate usually goes on the hinge and operates through a link arm. Think of it as being very similar to a door. These openers are often more expensive, because of the mechanism involved in the gate opening.
If you have a sliding gate, the operator features a chain that attaches across the gate from the right to left – or left to right. Sliding gates are slightly more dangerous than swinging gates, but the appropriate safety mechanisms are usually included within the gate.
When buying a capable gate opener, there are a few questions you should answer beforehand.
- Is your gate a single gate, dual gate or a sliding gate?
- Is your gate swinging into your property or away from it?
- What is the length and weight of your home’s gate?
If you would have a hard time connecting your gate opener to a power source, you may want to go with a solar powered option. They work just as well as electric-powered gate openers. And even if you do buy an electric-powered opener, it will have an emergency release feature that keeps it operational during blackouts.
Those who are considering a gate opener for their sliding gate may want to get one that has a “heavy duty” tag. Sliding gates are often a lot heavier than swinging gates, which is why the heavy-duty opener will be necessary.
With sliding gates, the length of the gate is very important. It is going to determine how hard the gate opener has to work to get your entire gate open. Some gate openers may not be compatible with your sliding gate, depending on its length.
If you have a swinging gate, the swinging motion is relevant to your purchase. Some swinging gates open down the middle to both the sides, while other swinging gates open on a single edge. The automatic gate opener you get must be compatible with the style of your swinging gate.
Electric Gates – DC vs AC?
If you are set on getting an electric-powered gate opener, you will need to choose between DC or AC power. DC, or direct current, driven electric gates are a newer entry into the market.
But they are also known to last longer, because they run cooler. They are also known for being smaller than AC, or alternating current, openers. The major downside to a DC-powered gate opener is that you will need to pay a higher price.
Solar Powered Gate Openers
If you are a fan of solar power because of its energy efficiency, or you just do not want to deal with electric-powered gate openers, you have good options available to you. Solar powered gates are very reliable, as they will store the energy needed for operation continuously.
A solar powered gate opener is also the economical choice, as you will see no increase to your electricity bill while it is in use. And you do not have to worry about the gate functioning during a blackout, as it will continue to operate normally.
The only situation where a solar powered gate may not be good is when you plan on needing to open the gate 10 or more times a day. When the gate has to open and close that many times each day, it needs to store a lot of power.
A solar powered gate may not be ideal in that scenario, especially if many of the openings and closings are happening at night. But a normal home should not be see the gate used more than three or four times a day – so the solar power option is very good.
The way you interact with your gate opener is also important. Almost every modern gate opener will work through a remote control. The remote makes it very easy to open the gate when you are right outside and shut it when your car is safely in the driveway.
There are gate openers that work through a keypad or a card reader. But those make more sense for commercial use, as a lot of people are going through the gate each day.
Every modern home needs a proper security setup. Whether you are worried about break ins, or you just want peace of mind, having an automatic gate helps a lot. No one will be able to open that gate when they are outside, unless they have the appropriate code.
There is also the added benefit of your gate opening itself when you want to head out or come back in. The annoying process of needing to get up, open your gate, drive your car inside and then shut the gate will be a thing of the past!
Ready To Buy The Best Automatic Gate Opener?
Through extensive research and testing, we managed to compile a list of the top five gate openers on the market right now. We hope that our list will make your purchasing decision a lot easier.
Any of these gate openers would work perfectly for your home. If you are not worried about price, and you want a gate opener with the most features, we believe the Liftmaster LA400PKGU is a fantastic option for swing gates.
Here’s another home tool review that will make your life easier: Top Compact Attic Ladders.