Automatic fish feeders are perhaps a great way of feeding fish while away from your home. They can also work for absentminded people who often forget when they last fed their fish.
Fish feeders can be programmed to accommodate various types of feeding schedules and portions. That will ensure your tank or pond’s food supply is constant.
The best automatic aquarium feeder saves you much effort, time and frees you to engage in other activities, instead of being shut-in like your fish (Source).
Bearing that in mind, fish feeders are flexible in the way that they come in various sizes to fit different tanks and the needs of your aquatic ecosystem.
When you are setting up a tank for fish in your home, you will need to ensure the water is the right condition for those fish to survive. This is where a saltwater test kit can come in handy. It can measure several factors to determine the condition of your water.
Which Automatic Fish Feeder Is Best?
Table of Contents
- 1 Which Automatic Fish Feeder Is Best?
- 2 How Does an Automatic Fish Feeder Work?
- 3 How Long Does an Automatic Fish Feeder Last?
- 4 Comparing The Best Automatic Fish Feeders
- 5 1. EHEIM Everyday Automatic Fish Feeder – Best All-Around Automatic Fish Feeder
- 6 2. IntelliFeed Automatic Fish Feeder – Best for Lots of Fish
- 7 3. Fish Mate F14 Automatic Fish Feeder – Best Old School Fish Feeder
- 8 4. eBo Trade Automatic Fish Feeder – Best Automatic Fish Feeder for Pellets
- 9 5. Heneng Automatic Fish Feeder – Best Automatic Fish Feeder for Large Aquariums
- 10 Things to Consider When Buying an Automatic Fish Feeder
- 11 Features to Consider – Buyer’s Guide
- 12 Frequently Asked Questions
- 13 Ready To Buy The Best Automatic Fish Feeder?
The EHEIM Everyday is the best automatic fish feeder because you can pretty much set it and forget it. It is the best solution for worry-free feeding and the ventilation system is great to keep your food dry.
How Does an Automatic Fish Feeder Work?
Each fish feeder has a few chambers you can add food to. The chambers are then rotated and the food is dropped into the aquarium on a timed released basis. This way, your fish will be fed on a regular basis and you’ll avoid overfeeding as well (Source).
How Long Does an Automatic Fish Feeder Last?
A fish feeder can hold usually hold up to 6 weeks’ worth of food. That means you won’t have to feed your fish for that long, but the length of time will depend on the brand and chamber capacity.
Comparing The Best Automatic Fish Feeders
|EHEIM Everyday Automatic Fish Feeder|
|IntelliFeed Automatic Fish Feeder|
|Fish Mate F14 Automatic Fish Feeder|
|eBo Trade Automatic Fish Feeder|
|Heneng Automatic Fish Feeder|
1. EHEIM Everyday Automatic Fish Feeder – Best All-Around Automatic Fish Feeder
Starting off the features of this all-around feeder is its all-water feature. This feeder can be used with all kinds of water, be it salty or fresh without risks of being degraded. To add to this, it features a digital LCD that makes it easy to program it.
You can set the feeding intervals up to 8 times a day, implying that the feeder will automatically release food up to 8 times daily. This is quite convenient, especially for those who cannot make it home to feed the fish.
The durability of this feeder shouldn’t be of any doubt. It is an impact-resistant and waterproof feeder with a splash-proof screen and splash-proof buttons that ascertain durability. Adding to its features is the adjustable slider that allows you to set the exact quantity of food to be released every feeding.
The EHEIM Everyday Automatic Fish Feeder comes with dual AA batteries that ascertain long-lasting use. It also has a battery indicator that lets you know easily when the batteries need replacements.
Despite the feeder being always close to water, fish food spoilage is prevented by a built-in fan and efficient ventilation system that keeps the food dry and fresh. If you don’t intend to stick with automatically programmed feeding times, this model has a manual food release button that lets you feed the fish whenever you want.
2. IntelliFeed Automatic Fish Feeder – Best for Lots of Fish
The IntelliFeed Automatic Fish Feeder is best known for its expert moisture control. This feeder sits well on the side of the tank and simply drops food without chances of getting wet before being dispensed. Besides, the dispensing mechanism retreats to its housing when dispensing is complete.
You will also like how easy it is to use this automatic fish feeder for pellets and other foods. All you need to do is place the feeder on the side of your aquarium with the help of a mount. The digital display program makes it easy to dispense food with easy controls.
Controlling the amount of food is pretty simple. You just need to adjust the feeder door more or less. The power provided by the feeder’s batteries is reliable, with a power adapter that suits those who aren’t entirely dependent on batteries.
3. Fish Mate F14 Automatic Fish Feeder – Best Old School Fish Feeder
The best part of this fish feeder is that it can set up to 14 meals at once. All you need to do is fill the container with your desired fish food and leave the remaining task for the feeder. Simply put, you can fill the meals of 14 coming days, either pellets or flakes. However, it is not suitable for a large amount of fish.
The Fish Mate F14 Automatic Fish Feeder comes with an easy to set timer similar to that of an egg timer. It uses a reliable and accurate quartz timer with four feeding indicators to choose from. This enables you to choose the exact times for four feeding intervals daily.
You can attach the feeder with an airline that allows dry airflow to keep the food dry and fresh. Like other models, simple batteries that need replacement power it. Mounting this model similarly isn’t a daunting task.
4. eBo Trade Automatic Fish Feeder – Best Automatic Fish Feeder for Pellets
- All foods – perfect for pellets but also feeds flakes and crumble.
- Programmable – features an easy to use digital display with navigation buttons. The feeder can be programmed to provide food up to 4 times a day. The manual feed button lets you feed the fish anytime between the intervals.
- Portioning – you can easily adjust the amount of food to be dispensed using a portioning lever.
- Easy mounting – features integrated clamps and Velcro mechanism that eases mounting.
- Moisture free – has a fan and efficient ventilation system that prevents food spoilage and clogging.
5. Heneng Automatic Fish Feeder – Best Automatic Fish Feeder for Large Aquariums
This feeder is convenient with its easy to mount nature. It uses screws to attach to the edge of the aquarium. Portioning the feeder is quite easy and allows users to adjust the portion of food to be dispensed using the slider.
It is compatible with all foods including pellets, crumbles, and pellets. Its special design provides efficient ventilation as well as prevents clogging.
Things to Consider When Buying an Automatic Fish Feeder
As mentioned, there are a lot of options available to choose from. However, to find the best, you will need to assess several factors. Note that not all automatic fish feeders are the same.
They vary in features and characteristics, just like food dispensers. However, before diving into the feature details, it is of immense importance that you keep your fish tank clean with HOB protein skimmers.
- A great solution for vacation – the automatic fish feeder for ponds and aquarium will take great care of your fish if you plan to skip town for a few days or month-long vacations.
- Affordable – fish keeping is no doubt an expensive hobby. For sure, you might be cringing at the thought of having to purchase other equipment for your tank. However, automatic fish feeders are surprisingly cheap. You can find the best product with less than 30 dollars.
- Can be used anywhere – for many people, reef tanks are full of awful aquarium equipment plugged into the nearby socket. Be it pumps, lights, protein skimmers, heaters, wavemakers or temperature controllers, getting an extra socket for automatic feeders can be a headache. However, worry not as these tools run on batteries.
- Safe portion for good fish health – unlike other fish feeding equipment, the automatic feeder fish cannot overfeed or underfeed your fish.
- Convenience – are you having a busy schedule? Manually feeding your fish may not auger well with your schedule. Automatic feeders come in handy during these situations. They work well for any hobbyist looking to ease fish rearing.
With all these outlined benefits, finding the best automatic fish feeder for aquariums is certainly of immense importance. Consider the following factors to find the right product.
Features to Consider – Buyer’s Guide
Size of the Food Chamber
The first thing to consider is how much food you can store in your feeder. This equipment can easily crash your aquarium. Therefore, ensure that you get the right size. If you are looking for a feeder to fit a large pond with many fish, consider the best automatic fish feeder for a pond with a large container.
For such situations, avoid feeders fitted with minute compartments that will not be easy to fill. Besides, it may be prudent to invest in a large capacity feeder in future options of expanding your aquarium.
Remember that automatic fish feeders rely on batteries for power. Therefore, if the feeder’s battery fails or runs out, your fish certainly won’t feed. This could lead to illnesses and subsequent death.
If you plan to go away for quite some time, ensure that you get a feeder with a longer-lasting battery. This will maintain the feeder for the time you are out before being recharged or replaced. Besides, it is prudent to get a feeder that clearly displays battery life.
Most fish food requires to be dried to prolong its shelf life. Otherwise, most food will readily deteriorate as time goes by. Some feeders let moisture in, presenting a risk that your food may spoil sooner.
Therefore, it is wise to ensure that your automatic feeder is well ventilated to keep the chamber properly aerated to prevent food from rotting. For instance, ensure that there is a fan or vent in the chamber.
Ease of Use
Whereas some automatic fish feeders are a breeze to set up, others are nightmares. This can be true especially if you are used to manual feeding. Therefore, always consider how easy your chosen feeder is to install, though it can be intimidating at initial stages.
Modern feeders have digital display systems that make it easier to program the feeder and make adjustments. Some automatic fish feeders have complex options that accompany wide feature options that allow users to adjust feeding frequency as well as use multiple food types.
Frequency of Feeding
This choice solely relies on the type of fish in your pond or aquarium. Some dispensers give food twice a day while others can dispense up to 8 times. However, you should consider the number of fish and their daily food requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are There Any Downsides to Using an Automatic Fish Feeder?
As noted above, an automatic fish feeder is convenient, affordable and it controls portions. However, it is essential to note that fish feeders can fail.
When that happens, your fish will either be underfed or overfed. With overfeeding, there is the risk of ammonia spikes. Also, too much food can promote algae growth. For these reasons, it is essential to pick an extremely high-quality auto fish feeder.
Also, experts recommend that one periodically checks the functioning of an automatic fish feeder to avoid undetected failures. As long as you purchase a high-quality device and combine this with vigilant maintenance, then chances of failure are slim to none.
How Long Can a Fish Survive Without Food?
Technically, this question has nothing to do with fish feeders. However, anyone intending to purchase an automatic fish feeder will need to know if they even need one in the first place.
A fish can survive up to three days without food. However, this is not an absolute answer. Depending on the age and size of your fish, this answer may vary. Older and larger fish can last longer without food and vice versa for younger and smaller fish.
How Do You Attach a Feeder to a Hooded Tank?
Not all fish tanks are open. If you happen to own a hooded fish tank, then you can mount the fish feeder in two ways.
One, you can cut out a section and mount the feeder. Note that this is only possible if the hood is thin enough and it is made of plastic.
Second, if the feeder does not come with a Velcro attachment, then you can invest in one and use it to attach the feeder.
Can All Automatic Fish Feeders Be Mounted Outdoors?
No, not all models are designed to handle outdoor elements. If you desire an outdoor automatic fish feeder, then you have to look for one specially designed for outdoors. However, note that you can also modify an indoor auto fish feeder to work outside.
Ready To Buy The Best Automatic Fish Feeder?
Keeping your fish safe and healthy is often a challenging task, especially if you have tight schedules. However, with an automatic fish feeder, keeping fish ceases to be a tedious task anymore. Regardless of where you are, you will always be free about feeding as the automatic feeder does the task.
However, before settling on one auto feeder, ensure that you have gone through the factors mentioned above. Apart from these, you can also inquire if the feeder is suitable for both salty and freshwater or can handle more than one food type.
Looking into the factors mentioned above and the automatic fish feeder review above will ease your fish rearing adventure. Are you worried about keeping your fish alive during winter?
There is no better way of keeping your fish alive during winter than using a pond heater with a pond fish feeder would be prudent. For those of you who are new to pond heaters; these are devices used to avert the buildup of ice or snow in your fish pond during extremely cold conditions.