Tricycles, popularly known as tikes, are more than just a fun way to commute; they can offer you low-impact cardio workouts.
Other models come with cargo baskets that you may use to carry your belongings. Buying a trike is going to cost you a considerable amount of money, hence the need to be careful while choosing one.
With so many tricycle models to choose from, this can be a daunting task; especially for the beginners. To end up buying the right trike for your needs, there are several considerations that you have to make (Source).
It is obvious that you want a model that is aesthetically appealing, but you also need to get one that is stable, comfortable and of the right type.
Best Adult Tricycles 2019
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Adult Tricycles 2019
- 2 1. Schwinn Meridian Adult 3-Wheel Bike – Best Overall Adult Tricyle
- 3 2. Razor DXT Drift Trike – Best Tricycle Below $150
- 4 3. Mobo Triton Pro Tricycle – Best Recumbent Tricycle
- 5 4. Schwinn Hampton 26-Inch Tricycle – The Best 26-Inch Tricycle
- 6 5. Worksman WTX Wide Tracking Adult Trike – The Best Trike for Therapeutic Exercises
- 7 Things You Must Know Before Buying an Adult Tricycle
- 8 Our Final Review for the Best Adult Tricycles
|Schwinn Meridian Adult 3-Wheel Bike|
|Razor DXT Drift Trike|
|Mobo Triton Pro Tricycle|
|Schwinn Hampton 26-Inch Tricycle|
|Worksman WTX Wide Tracking Adult Trike|
1. Schwinn Meridian Adult 3-Wheel Bike – Best Overall Adult TricyleThe Meridian Adult tricycle by Schwinn is one of the most favorite 3-wheeled bikes in America today. This may be attributed to its appealing design, in addition to an assortment of impressive features offered by the bike. This full-size, single speed trike is also comfortable to ride around, even over long distances.
With regards to design, the Meridian Adult 3-wheeler features sweep back handlebars and a low-profile aluminum frame. The sweep back handlebars allow you to ride your trike in a relaxed, upright posture to reduce fatigue. The use of aluminum to make the frame, on the other hand, makes the bike lightweight. As such, you will find it to balance and peddle the bike over long distances.
The stylish wrap faders used on the trike will keep you dry and clean as you ride. The trike is equipped with 26-inch wheels that are lightweight and easy to roll over obstacles. You will also love the folding basket that will come with your Meridian bike. This will make it easier for you to carry a few items along with you as you ride.
2. Razor DXT Drift Trike – Best Tricycle Below $150Looking for an innovative option that is packed with a horde of functional and convenience features? Though affordable, the Razor DTX Drift Trike is the innovative, quality, stable and comfortable solution you are looking for. This trike is specifically designed to offer you thrills and reliability in a single package.
The full-frame trike features a moto design and is equipped with 10-inch slick surface wheels on its rear end. For the front, the trike uses a 20-inch Pneumatic Front Wheel. Although it is a single speed trike, the lightweight frame and rims make it easier to peddle.
3. Mobo Triton Pro Tricycle – Best Recumbent TricycleThe Mobo Triton pro trike is one of the few trikes that were designed to offer distinguished rides an extraordinary experience. It is the rugged, low sportier chassis design that will first draw your attention to this trike. The visual appeal of the unit is further enhanced by its dual-joystick steering system. This is rather unique, don’t you think?
What will further arouse your curiosity is the free-wheel mechanism used by the manufacturer on this product. You will find this mechanism very maneuverable with minimal elbow, hand and wrist pressure. The recumbent seat on this bike will offer enough support for your bike as you ride. The trike is recommended for riders between 4 and 6.3 inches tall.
4. Schwinn Hampton 26-Inch Tricycle – The Best 26-Inch TricycleAmong the most desirable aspects of the Schwann Hampton trike is its 26-inch wheels. The large diameter makes the wheels easy to turn, even over obstacles. These wheels are attached to a 16-inch aluminum frame. The aluminum construction makes the trike lightweight and easy to maneuver. Just like is the case with other Schwinn products, the Hampton is a stable trike.
The frame size, along with the step-through design used on the trike, makes it easier for you to mount off and on your tricycle. The bike is equipped with swept back handlebars to give you a relaxed riding posture. The saddle used on this trike is comfortable and features quick release adjustment.
5. Worksman WTX Wide Tracking Adult Trike – The Best Trike for Therapeutic ExercisesWhat about an adult trike that has a design of a kid’s trike? That is rather interesting, isn’t it? The Workman WTX Wide Tracking Adult Bike offers just that. If you are looking for a bare or simple design in your adult trike, this is one of the bikes you should consider buying today. In this regard, the pedals of this trike are attached directly to the front wheel—just as is the case in a kid’s trike. This gives you exceptional control over your trike.
While the bike can be fun to ride for any rider, it is recommended for therapeutic purposes. Since the pedals turn whenever the front wheel is turning, they also serve as the braking system. To stop the trike, you only need to pedal in a reverse direction. As such, the bike is a great tool for motion training as well as for physical therapy.
Things You Must Know Before Buying an Adult Tricycle
As opposed to olden days, tricycles are not only meant for the handicapped today. As a matter of fact, trikes are relatively popular among seniors and bloomers today.
Most of the tricycle models available today feature a ‘step through’ design, which makes them easy to mount and dismount. While the various tricycle models seem to have a similar design, they are not the same.
This is why you need to be very careful while shopping for the best adult tricycle. While they are different from hybrid bikes, they can still provide a good workout. If you are in the market for a new trike, these considerations will help you make the right choice:
1. Tricycle Design
Basically, all tricycles have one feature in common; they all have three wheels. However, these products differ in one way or another when it comes to design. The various trikes available today may be categorized into five main types. While shopping for the right trike, these are the types you should consider:
- Recumbent Tricycles
Recumbent trikes are mainly distinguished by their elongated frames and relatively low profile. As a result, you have to assume a reclined posture, with the legs stretched forward, while riding these trikes. This being the case, this bike is said to be good for workouts. Whenever you are riding your recumbent tricycle, you will be exercising your hamstrings and core muscles.
As compared to the upright tricycle design discussed below, recumbent bikes are easier on your back. Additionally, the leading recumbent tricycle models are known to have impressive aerodynamics. If you are looking for a trike for long distance rides, the recumbent design will be a great choice.
- Upright Trikes
This is the traditional type of tricycles, which happens to be a great way of running errands. These trikes are a great choice for your leisure rides within your neighborhood. The upright design of these trikes leaves a considerable amount of space for a cargo basket. This is probably why most of the leading upright trikes come with baskets.
These tricycles are also good for exercises and are fun to ride. Most of the tricycles within this category come with either a three-speed or single speed gear option. Since you have to ride it in an upright posture, these trikes are a great way of exercising your lower and upper body.
- Tandem Tricycles
These are tricycles that are designed for two, with the two seats side by side or one in front and the other one behind the first seat. As a result, these trikes are a great choice for leisure outings with a family member or friend. While many riders think that tandem trikes take up more storage space, they require less space than two solo bike models.
- Folding Trikes
If you do not have much storage space for a trike in your home, it is advisable to buy one that requires minimal storage space. As the name suggests, folding trikes have a frame that is designed to fold up. This being the case, these bikes are easier to store in tight spaces. Again, most of the best folding tricycles today are relatively lightweight. This makes them easier to carry around when folded.
2. Should You Buy an Electronic Trike?
With an electric tricycle, things get a little bit easier and more comfortable. While the various electronic trike models are comparatively expensive, they do not require effort to run. However, most of these trikes are actually hybrids; they come with an electric motor as well as pedals. With an electric trike, you only need to charge it, get seated and activate the electric motor.
This makes them ideal for steep inclines or long distance rides. The electric motor, in this case, will give you a power boost whenever you want to break from pedaling.
3. Do You Have Mobility Problems?
You probably are aware that not just any tricycle is good for people with mobility issues. If you are handicapped, it is advisable to go for an upright trike as opposed to the other designs. Opting for a recumbent trike when you have mobility issues is not a smart choice. In such a case, you will have problems balancing your body on the trike. This could worsen your mobility problems. As such, you should just look for the best upright tricycles for adults.
4. Stability and Comfort
Although the 3-wheel design of trikes makes them stable, you need to choose one that is more stable. Generally, the various upright tricycle models are known to be more stable than recumbent models. Again, you are going to need a kickstand to hold the trike up once you have dismounted it.
With regards to comfort, you need to consider what you really need. For instance, are you looking for a trike to work out your body or for a comfortable ride? In this regard, a recumbent tricycle will give you a more relaxed and comfortable ride. These trikes require you to ride in a reclining posture, hence have wider seats and plenty of support for the back.
Our Final Review for the Best Adult Tricycles
Your choice of the right tricycle should not be solely influenced by its aesthetics. In addition to aesthetical appeal, your preferred trike model should be maneuverable, stable, comfortable, and durable and have the features you need. However, preferences may differ from one rider to another.
For instance, you may be having some mobility issues and are looking for a trike that will offer you therapeutic exercises. Is such is your situation; you should get the Worksman WTX Wide Tracking Adult Trike right away. The bike may not have an appealing design, but will offer you the workouts you need to regain mobility.
Perhaps you are looking for an affordable option that is trendy and has the features you need for a comfortable ride. In such a scenario, you should consider buying the Razor DXT Drift Trike. Well, it is not the cheapest option in the market, but is packed with an array of convenience as well as efficiency features.
As you can see, the choice of the right trike does not have to be that hard. Which one is your favorite? Share with us below!