The best 6-ton jack stand should be reliable, durable, and easy to use. The good news is that these tools can be affordable, and you can find a set for around $40. Top-class jack stands might cost up to $100.
It’s not only about the price, which is why you should consider the material used, lock design, and height range. Our reviews dig into details and cover all advantages and drawbacks important to the user.
Apart from the mentioned features, we also consider stability and durability of the jack stand, as well as which safety standards it meets.
You will also learn more about the brands you should trust in the jack stand industry. Safety is the primary concern when working with these tools, so make sure to check out our guide on how to use jack stands properly.
What Is a Jack Stand?
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is a Jack Stand?
- 2 How Much Do 6 Ton Jack Stands Cost?
- 3 Reviews of the Top 5 Products
- 4 1. Pro-LifT T-6906D Double Pin Jack Stands – Best Overall
- 5 2. Torin Big Red Steel Jack Stands – Easiest to Use
- 6 3. CARTMAN 6 Ton Jack Stands with Outer Footpad – Most Affordable
- 7 4. OTC (5373) Stinger 6 Ton Jack Stands – Most Durable
- 8 5. OEMTOOLS 24853 6 Ton Jack Stands – Best Height Range
- 9 6 Ton Jack Stand Brands
- 10 Factors to Consider Before Buying a Jack Stand
- 11 How to Use a Jack Stand
- 12 Ready to Use a 6 Ton Jack Stand for Your Next Project?
Jack stand is a type of tool used to support a car or another vehicle. The primary purpose of these stands is to ensure easier maintenance and repair of vehicles.
Floor jacks may be enough to change a tire, but if you want to handle repair work on your car, you will need additional safety. That is where jack stands come into play.
Once you lift the vehicle with a floor jack, it is time to place a jack stand. These stands can keep the entire front or back part of the car lifted for as long as needed to do the desired actions.
The capacity of a jack stand will vary, but six tons is considered to be an average. These tools have a high level of versatility because you can adjust them to the preferred height. Thanks to that, you can complete repairs quickly and efficiently.
How Much Do 6 Ton Jack Stands Cost?
A 6-ton jack stand should last for a long time and serve you or many occasions. If you look at things like that, you could say that this tool is not expensive. The price can vary depending on features, but sometimes a reputable brand increases the cost.
In most cases, it is worth to pay a bit more for a product designed by a reliable manufacturer. If you want a 6-ton jack stand you can rely on, you should be ready to set aside about $40-$50.
Adding a dozen or two may secure you extra quality and reliability. If your budget is around $70-$90, you can get a top-class unit.
It is important to note that jack stands come in pairs. You will rarely find a manufacturer that sells a single stand. That is vital to consider because you will be getting two products, which increases the affordability of jack stands.
Reviews of the Top 5 Products
|Torin Big Red Steel|
|CARTMAN 6 Ton Jack Stands|
|OTC (5373) Stinger|
1. Pro-LifT T-6906D Double Pin Jack Stands – Best OverallWe are starting strong as this is probably the best 6-ton jack stand pair out there. Pro-Lift ensured to use durable steel for the base construction. As a result, the tool won’t disappoint you for any job that requires lifting a vehicle to six pounds.
The product complies with ANSI/PALD standards, and it offers an iron ratchet bar of super quality. The double-locking mechanism adds extra safety when using the tool.
The height ranges from 16 to 23 inches, which is not as impressive as in other jack stands. However, the difference is minimal, and you probably won’t even notice the difference.
It is worth noting that the manufacturer picked an attractive grey color for the base of this pyramid jack stand. The top section is red so that you can see the current position clearly.
2. Torin Big Red Steel Jack Stands – Easiest to UseTorin cares about user safety, which is why they implement the double-locking mechanism for their jack stands. These units have a pyramid shape, and they look attractive. The stands are a bit thinner than some other items on the list, but they can handle the specified six-ton weight.
The manufacturer used top-quality steel and a welded frame for optimal durability. The height can range from 15 ¾ inches, and 23 13/16 inches.
The jack stands are easy to use, especially because the saddle has a large surface to ensure optimal contact with the vehicle. When it comes to safety, the product meets ASME standards. The total weight of the item is 29 pounds, which is about the average for steel jack stands.
3. CARTMAN 6 Ton Jack Stands with Outer Footpad – Most AffordableIf you are looking for a real bargain deal, you cannot go wrong by going with Cartman jack stands. This set features a mixture of red and yellow colors for the base and a black upper section.
The manufacturer used steel, which is commendable and makes the jack stand pair durable. However, it is the lightest set on the list with 21.8 pounds. Although some users may like that, the product may not be as durable as you might expect.
The height ranges from 15 to 24 inches, and the company claims it meets ANSI safety standards. It is easy to adjust the stand with the lever provided. It shouldn’t take a lot of time to learn how to use the product.
4. OTC (5373) Stinger 6 Ton Jack Stands – Most DurableOTC wanted to offer a premium product to its customers, and that is how they came up with this 6-ton jack stand set. The high-quality steel ensures excellent stability and durability. That makes the product a long-term investment.
The total weight of the product is 37 pounds, and that speaks about the construction strength. At the same time, this weight might be a drawback for professional users who need to move jack stands frequently.
The good news is that the ratchet handle is easy to use, and it features a self-locking mechanism. The manufacturer ensured the stands are corrosion-resistant by providing a baked enamel finish.
The base color is grey, and the upper section is black. It is also worth noting that the product meets ANSI PALD standards for load ratings.
5. OEMTOOLS 24853 6 Ton Jack Stands – Best Height RangeWe saved the best for last because OEMTOOLS features a premium jack stand set with many intriguing features. For starters, the dominating color is green, which is a characteristic of this company. The saddle section is black, as well as the handle.
While we are talking about the saddle, let’s mention it is recessed. That should contribute to easier and more secure positioning. At the same time, large footpads at the bottom will bring extra stability, even if you use the tool on asphalt-like surfaces.
The product has an impressive height range, with the minimum set at 15 ¾ inches, and the maximum at 24 3/8 inches. It is one of the highest positions that 6-ton jack stands provide these days.
Although the stands themselves are durable, it seems like the paint and the product label might peel off over time.
6 Ton Jack Stand Brands
Before we go into considering jack stand features, let’s discuss the famous industry brands. It is vital to choose a reputable manufacturer as that is the best way of ensuring you will be getting a unique and reliable product.
A premium brand has excellent quality control, which minimizes the chances of receiving a flawed product. Additionally, you should get a warranty that the manufacturer will honor at all times.
Take a look at the most reputable jack stand brands on the market below.
Pro-Lift is one of the most famous brands in the industry. Furthermore, it is among the biggest manufacturers in entire North America, at least when it comes to jack stands.
It is worth noticing that the company also designs scissor jacks, tire chocks, and other lifting tools and automotive accessories.
Torin is a company based in the United States. Their main office is in California, and they specialize in manufacturing automotive equipment. Apart from jack stands, you can also find service and bottle jacks, as well as engine stands and cranes, and shop creepers and presses.
This manufacturer has been around for years, and they have a motto, “just go with Cartman.” The company offers a wide range of automotive equipment ranging from safety triangles and booster cables to complete toolsets that you can use around the household.
OTC became a part of the famous Bosch company in 2012. As one of their brands, it is famous for its very reliable products.
OTC specializes in electronic diagnostic equipment, as well as useful tools for individuals and professionals.
OEM Tools is a branch of a company called CAS (Connected Automotive System). The brand has some intriguing products, such as an all-around emergency tool, a balancer puller kit, etc.
Green color usually dominates their products, and it is one of the ways to stand out from the competition. These are only some of the brands that earned their reputation by offering top-quality products.
It is important to confirm that the manufacturer you choose has been around for a while and that they are ready to offer reliable tools.
Factors to Consider Before Buying a Jack Stand
Would you like to know which factors you should consider when purchasing a jack stand? Here is a list of the things you should pay attention to during the process!
The material will significantly affect the performance and durability of your jack stand.
The manufacturers usually use the following materials:
- Steel – it is very durable and strong, which makes it a logical choice for jack stands. Steel is quite affordable, but it also heavy, and that can be a problem for frequent users.
- Aluminum – the material is light, but the chances are it won’t be as stable and durable as steel. However, the fact it is lighter might make it a smart choice if you are often moving the stand during the day. Aluminum is also resistant to corrosion and rust.
You have three choices when it comes to locks:
- Pin locks – you can use your hands or a lever to adjust the height, and a pin will keep the jack stand in position. Although it is a fairly basic system, it is very reliable.
- Ratchet lock – it is easy to set the desired height with a ratchet lock. New models are far more reliable than they have been before.
- Screw lock – you have a holding bar that acts as a screw, and you should thread it in the desired position. That takes time, which is why this option is not users’ favorite, although it is quite stable.
You’ve surely noticed that we are focusing on 6-ton jack stands in this article. The “6-ton” stands for capacity, and it means that it can support up to six tons.
In other words, you can lift any vehicle that weighs up to that limit. It is worth noting that you can also find jack stands with other weight ratings, and the capacity can vary from two to more than 20 tons.
However, six tons seem to be enough for most cars and some other vehicles, which is why it gives the best value for money.
Here is another interesting jack stand characteristic you may want to consider. The crucial matter here is stability, which is why you want a wide base. It can be wise to go with a pyramid form as it secures the necessary stability. Alternatively, you can also check out an octagon base in piston-style jack stands.
The basic thing to ensure is that the jack stand has the capability of lifting the vehicle off the floor. Next, you should consider the maximum height range. Most stands these days will have different height adjustments. That means you have the freedom to choose the preferred height level of your stand. It is what enables you to adjust it to a suitable position to perform necessary actions.
How to Use a Jack Stand
If you want to minimize the risk of mishaps, you should learn how to use a jack stand properly. Here is a list of steps required for lifting your vehicle:
- Place your vehicle on a flat surface. A pavement or garage floor will do the trick. Make sure to avoid gravel and dirt. Activate the parking brake.
- Use a floor jack to lift the vehicle. Make sure that you use a suitable model that can handle the vehicle’s weight.
- Place jack stands to offer symmetrical support. Where do you need vehicle support, is it in the front or the back? Choose the desired side and look for jacking points. They should be somewhere close to the wheels. That’s where you want to place jack stands, but you want them on both sides!
- Set the desired height. The way how to do that depends on the product model. Make sure everything is set properly.
- Start lowering the floor jack. The idea is to do this slowly and look for anything odd. If you notice that a jack stand moved, stop and lift the car again! That is essential to prevent any mishaps. Once you are done, test the stability by wiggling or bumping the car to ensure it doesn’t move.
- Do all the repairs you planned and remove the jack stand. Once you finish everything, place the floor jack again. After setting it adequately, remove the stands. Finally, lower the vehicle slowly, and remove the floor jack, too.
Ready to Use a 6 Ton Jack Stand for Your Next Project?
Now that you are familiar with the best 6-ton jack stands, it is time to choose a product that meets your expectations. Feel free to use the factors mentioned in our buying guide. Remember, everything starts by choosing a reliable brand.
It is only then when you can consider jack stand features, such as material, lock design, and height range. Finally, it is also vital that the unit doesn’t exceed your budget.
The good news is that jack stands come in pairs, which means you will be getting two products instead of one. That is how you will secure optimal support for your car or another vehicle.
During the purchasing process, you should consider your next project, but also how you might use a 6-ton jack stand in the future. The idea is for this tool to be a long-term investment as that is the best way to ensure you get the most bang for your buck!