If you don’t want to rely on a mechanic to perform regular maintenance on your vehicle, you’ll need a 6-ton jack stand. Along with a floor jack, a jack stand can help you get under your vehicle to perform certain tasks yourself. The best 6 ton jack stands are sturdy and can help ensure your safety while working on your vehicle.
Six ton jack stands are adjustable devices that keep a vehicle safely elevated once it’s been jacked up by a hydraulic jack or scissor jack. While some jack stands are made to withhold more weight, the average vehicle doesn’t tend to exceed 6 tons.
To use a 6 ton jack stand properly, you need to ensure you’re parked on a flat surface with your parking brake on and your wheels chocked. Once you hoist the vehicle up using your floor jack, place two 6 ton jack stands under the vehicle and adjust the height accordingly (Source). Finally, you should check each jack stand and shake your vehicle to ensure it’s secure (Source).
The best 6 ton jack stands are made from high quality, reliable materials that keep you safe. They can allow you to change tires and change your oil without having to pay for a mechanic.
Prior to purchasing a 6 ton jack stand, you’ll need to consider its height range and its base width. You’ll also want to consider what materials it’s made from, and what kind of locking system it employs.
Ensure your safety with these top-rated 6-ton jack stands.
What Is a Jack Stand?
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is a Jack Stand?
- 2 How Much Weight Can a 6 Ton Jack Stand Hold?
- 3 How Much Do 6 Ton Jack Stands Cost?
- 4 Reviews of the Top 5 Products
- 5 1. Pro-LifT T-6906D Double Pin Jack Stands – Best Overall
- 6 2. Torin Big Red Steel Jack Stands – Easiest to Use
- 7 3. CARTMAN 6 Ton Jack Stands with Outer Footpad – Most Affordable
- 8 4. OTC (5373) Stinger 6 Ton Jack Stands – Most Durable
- 9 5. OEMTOOLS 24853 6 Ton Jack Stands – Best Height Range
- 10 6 Ton Jack Stand Brands
- 11 Factors to Consider Before Buying a Jack Stand
- 12 How to Use a Jack Stand
- 13 Ready to Use a 6 Ton Jack Stand for Your Next Project?
A jack stand is a type of tool used to support a car or another vehicle. The primary purpose of these stands is to ensure easier maintenance and repair of vehicles. Floor jacks may be enough to change a tire, but if you want to handle repair work on your car, you will need additional safety. That is where jack stands come into play.
Once you lift the vehicle with a floor jack, it is time to place a jack stand. These stands can keep the entire front or back part of the car lifted for as long as needed to do the desired actions.
How Much Weight Can a 6 Ton Jack Stand Hold?
6-ton jack stands usually come in a pair of two and can hold up to 12,000 lbs. These tools have a high level of versatility because you can adjust them to the preferred height. Thanks to that, you can complete repairs quickly and efficiently.
How Much Do 6 Ton Jack Stands Cost?
If you want a 6-ton jack stand you can rely on, you should be ready to set aside about $40-$50. Adding a dozen or two may secure you extra quality and reliability. If your budget is around $70-$90, you can get a top-class unit.
It is important to note that jack stands come in pairs. You will rarely find a manufacturer that sells a single stand. That is vital to consider because you will be getting two car stands, which increases the affordability of jack stands.
Reviews of the Top 5 Products
|Torin Big Red Steel|
|CARTMAN 6 Ton Jack Stands|
|OTC (5373) Stinger|
1. Pro-LifT T-6906D Double Pin Jack Stands – Best Overall
The product complies with ANSI/PALD standards, and it offers an iron ratchet bar of super quality. The double-locking mechanism adds extra safety when using the tool.
The height ranges from 16 to 23 inches, which is not as impressive as in other jack stands. However, the difference is minimal, and you probably won’t even notice the difference.
It is worth noting that the manufacturer picked an attractive grey color for the base of this pyramid jack stand. The top section is red so that you can see the current position clearly.
2. Torin Big Red Steel Jack Stands – Easiest to Use
The manufacturer used top-quality steel and a welded frame for optimal durability. The height can range from 15 ¾ inches, and 23 13/16 inches.
The jack stands are easy to use, especially because the saddle has a large surface to ensure optimal contact with the vehicle. When it comes to safety, the product meets ASME standards. The total weight of the item is 29 pounds, which is about the average for steel jack stands.
3. CARTMAN 6 Ton Jack Stands with Outer Footpad – Most Affordable
The manufacturer used steel, which is commendable and makes the jack stand pair durable. However, it is the lightest set on the list with 21.8 pounds. Although some users may like that, the product may not be as durable as you might expect.
The height ranges from 15 to 24 inches, and the company claims it meets ANSI safety standards. It is easy to adjust the stand with the lever provided. It shouldn’t take a lot of time to learn how to use the product.
4. OTC (5373) Stinger 6 Ton Jack Stands – Most Durable
The total weight of the product is 37 pounds, and that speaks about the construction strength. At the same time, this weight might be a drawback for professional users who need to move jack stands frequently.
The good news is that the ratchet handle is easy to use, and it features a self-locking mechanism. The manufacturer ensured the stands are corrosion-resistant by providing a baked enamel finish.
The base color is grey, and the upper section is black. It is also worth noting that the product meets ANSI PALD standards for load ratings.
5. OEMTOOLS 24853 6 Ton Jack Stands – Best Height Range
While we are talking about the saddle, let’s mention it is recessed. That should contribute to easier and more secure positioning. At the same time, large footpads at the bottom will bring extra stability, even if you use the tool on asphalt-like surfaces.
The product has an impressive height range, with the minimum set at 15 ¾ inches, and the maximum at 24 3/8 inches. It is one of the highest positions that 6-ton jack stands provide these days.
Although the stands themselves are durable, it seems like the paint and the product label might peel off over time.
6 Ton Jack Stand Brands
Before we go into considering jack stand features, let’s discuss the famous industry brands. It is vital to choose a reputable manufacturer as that is the best way of ensuring you will be getting a unique and reliable product.
A premium brand has excellent quality control, which minimizes the chances of receiving a flawed product. Additionally, you should get a warranty that the manufacturer will honor at all times.
Take a look at the most reputable jack stand brands on the market below.
Pro-Lift is one of the most famous brands in the industry. Furthermore, it is among the biggest manufacturers in entire North America, at least when it comes to jack stands.
It is worth noticing that the company also designs scissor jacks, tire chocks, and other lifting tools and automotive accessories.
Torin is a company based in the United States. Their main office is in California, and they specialize in manufacturing automotive equipment. Apart from Torin jack stands, you can also find service and bottle jacks, as well as engine stands and cranes, and shop creepers and presses.
This manufacturer has been around for years, and they have a motto, “just go with Cartman.” The company offers a wide range of automotive equipment ranging from safety triangles and booster cables to complete toolsets that you can use around the household.
OTC became a part of the famous Bosch company in 2012. As one of their brands, it is famous for its very reliable products.
OTC specializes in electronic diagnostic equipment, as well as useful tools for individuals and professionals.
OEM Tools is a branch of a company called CAS (Connected Automotive System). The brand has some intriguing products, such as an all-around emergency tool, a balancer puller kit, etc.
Green color usually dominates their products, and it is one of the ways to stand out from the competition. These are only some of the brands that earned their reputation by offering top-quality products.
It is important to confirm that the manufacturer you choose has been around for a while and that they are ready to offer reliable tools.
Factors to Consider Before Buying a Jack Stand
Would you like to know which factors you should consider when purchasing a jack stand? Here is a list of the things you should pay attention to during the process!
The material will significantly affect the performance and durability of your jack stand.
The manufacturers usually use the following materials:
- Steel – it is very durable and strong, which makes it a logical choice for jack stands. Steel is quite affordable, but it also heavy, and that can be a problem for frequent users.
- Aluminum – the material is light, but the chances are it won’t be as stable and durable as steel. However, the fact it is lighter might make it a smart choice if you are often moving the stand during the day. Aluminum is also resistant to corrosion and rust.
You have three choices when it comes to locks:
- Pin locks – you can use your hands or a lever to adjust the height, and a pin will keep the jack stand in position. Although it is a fairly basic system, it is very reliable.
- Ratchet lock – it is easy to set the desired height with a ratchet lock. New models are far more reliable than they have been before.
- Screw lock – you have a holding bar that acts as a screw, and you should thread it in the desired position. That takes time, which is why this option is not users’ favorite, although it is quite stable.
You’ve surely noticed that we are focusing on 6-ton jack stands in this article. The “6-ton” stands for capacity, and it means that it can support up to six tons.
In other words, you can lift any vehicle that weighs up to that limit. It is worth noting that you can also find jack stands with other weight ratings, and the capacity can vary from two to more than 20 tons.
However, six tons seem to be enough for most cars and some other vehicles, which is why it gives the best value for money.
Would you like to repair or service your vehicle at home? Buying the best car ramps helps to raise it a few inches above the ground making it easier for you.
Here is another interesting jack stand characteristic you may want to consider. The crucial matter here is stability, which is why you want a wide base. It can be wise to go with a pyramid form as it secures the necessary stability. Alternatively, you can also check out an octagon base in piston-style jack stands.
The basic thing to ensure is that the jack stand has the capability of lifting the vehicle off the floor. Next, you should consider the maximum height range. Most stands these days will have different height adjustments. That means you have the freedom to choose the preferred height level of your stand. It is what enables you to adjust it to a suitable position to perform necessary actions. This also gives you the freedom of using some of these models as truck jack stands.
How to Use a Jack Stand
If you want to minimize the risk of mishaps, you should learn how to use a jack stand properly. Here is a list of steps required for lifting your vehicle:
- Place your vehicle on a flat surface. A pavement or garage floor will do the trick. Make sure to avoid gravel and dirt. Activate the parking brake.
- Use a floor jack to lift the vehicle. Make sure that you use a suitable model that can handle the vehicle’s weight.
- Place jack stands to offer symmetrical support. Where do you need vehicle support, is it in the front or the back? Choose the desired side and look for jacking points. They should be somewhere close to the wheels. That’s where you want to place jack stands, but you want them on both sides!
- Set the desired height. The way how to do that depends on the product model. Make sure everything is set properly.
- Start lowering the floor jack. The idea is to do this slowly and look for anything odd. If you notice that a jack stand moved, stop and lift the car again! That is essential to prevent any mishaps. Once you are done, test the stability by wiggling or bumping the car to ensure it doesn’t move.
- Do all the repairs you planned and remove the jack stand. Once you finish everything, place the floor jack again. After setting it adequately, remove the stands. Finally, lower the vehicle slowly, and remove the floor jack, too.
Ready to Use a 6 Ton Jack Stand for Your Next Project?
Now that you are familiar with the best 6-ton jack stands, it is time to choose a product that meets your expectations. Feel free to use the factors mentioned in our buying guide. Remember, everything starts by choosing a reliable brand.
It is only then when you can consider jack stand features, such as material, lock design, and height range. Finally, it is also vital that the unit doesn’t exceed your budget.
The good news is that car jack and jack stands come in pairs, which means you will be getting two products instead of one. That is how you will secure optimal support for your car or another vehicle.
During the purchasing process, you should consider your next project, but also how you might use a 6-ton heavy-duty jack stand in the future. The idea is for this tool to be a long-term investment as that is the best way to ensure you get the most bang for your buck!
Are you looking for the best way to protect your vehicle from sunlight away from home or are just looking for temporary storage space? Buying a portable garage is the right solution for you.
If you are looking for something handy when changing tires or undertaking any form of maintenance on your vehicle, consider buying the best electric tongue jacks.