Admit it, there’s nothing more exciting than listening to music in your vehicle. But what’s most important is that the sound needs to be spot-on for you to truly enjoy whatever music you’re listening.
If you’re considering to purchase 4×6 speakers, you should know they are also ideal for various cars, jeeps, vans, and even some boats.
While some might not be amazing for bass output, they are certainly compact and able to produce crisp and solid audio.
Finding a good 4×6 speaker for your car might not be too difficult, but it certainly will take some research. You should consider every feature before buying these types of speakers, such as build, quality of sound, bass, frequency, compatibility with your car, and more.
Looking for a car speaker that offers durability and an incredible? Consider buying the best 6×8 car speakers that offer sensory experience while listening to music, podcasts or the radio.
Apart from that, we are here to guide you through each product. We’ll break down the features as well, so you can make an informed purchase.
What are 4×6 Speakers?
Table of Contents
- 1 What are 4×6 Speakers?
- 2 Most Common Issues People Have with 4×6 Speakers?
- 3 Comparing The Five Best 4×6 Speakers
- 4 1. JBL GTO6429 Premium 4 x 6 Inches Co-Axial Speaker – Best Overall
- 5 2. Polk Audio DB462 DB+ Series 4″x6″ Coaxial Speakers – Best Durability
- 6 3. Pioneer TS-G4645R 4″x6″ G-Series 2-Way Speaker – Best Small Size Speakers
- 7 4. Pyle 4” x 6” Three Way Sound Speaker System – Best on Budget
- 8 5. Rockford Fosgate Punch P1462 4 x 6-Inches Full Range Coaxial Speakers – Best for Most Cars
- 9 Features of the Best 4×6 Speakers
- 10 Things You Need To Know Before Purchasing 4×6 Speakers
- 11 Ready To Buy The Best 4×6 Speakers?
If you are on the market for a set of 4×6 speakers, you are probably wanting to replace your car or boat stock speakers. Aftermarket 4×6 speakers are designed to fit into the slot that your stock speakers used and will help you better enjoy your music while on the go.
Most Common Issues People Have with 4×6 Speakers?
- Paper Cones: If you get an aftermarket pair of 4×6 speakers, this will almost never be a problem. Stock speakers, though, are usually made in the most affordable manner possible. This sometimes means using paper on the cone, which can be easily blown when you pump up the bass and volume.
- Strenuous Installation: Unless you know how to install speakers, or have a handy friend at your disposal, installing speakers will require a learning curve. Then, there are also certain models of speakers which are a bit harder to install. Coaxial speakers are much easier to install than component speakers.
- Bad Sound Quality: When you are ready to use your new speakers, it can be a big disappointment to pump up the volume and encounter problems with distortion. Or, notice that there is a limit on the frequency ranges which makes it so you can’t hear deep bass notes or the highest hi-hats.
Comparing The Five Best 4×6 Speakers
|JBL GTO6429 Premium 4 x 6 Inches Co-Axial Speaker|
|Polk Audio DB462 DB+ Series 4″x6″ Coaxial Speakers|
|Pioneer TS-G4645R 4″x6″ G-Series 2-Way Speaker|
|Pyle 4” x 6” Three Way Sound Speaker System|
|Rockford Fosgate Punch P1462 4 x 6-Inches Full Range Coaxial Speakers|
1. JBL GTO6429 Premium 4 x 6 Inches Co-Axial Speaker – Best OverallTo start with this amazing product, these powerful speakers are ideally built to be placed in any sort of vehicle – including large cars and jeeps. Its sound is incredibly crisp, and matches the sound of the front speakers of any car without issue, even if you decide to keep the factory speakers on the front.
To add further, the speakers use a mid-bass, which make them an ideal product regardless of the type of music you like to listen to. It is capable to produce high-quality sounds for any music genre making it the best 4×6 speakers with good bass for rock, electronica or even classical music.
You can improve sound quality by mounting amps on these speakers, too, but you’ll get high-quality audio regardless. Additionally, the tweeter comes with an adjustable angle that you can easily move for sound projection improvement.
Lastly, these speakers are also great at complementing complex stereo systems. Hence, if you have a ton of speakers set up in your car but you feel like you need to add something more, these might be exactly what you’re looking for.
2. Polk Audio DB462 DB+ Series 4″x6″ Coaxial Speakers – Best DurabilityThis one is also considered as one of the best car speakers available in the market. These speakers are highly resistant and built to last. To cement that, they come with waterproof inner and outer surrounds, which make them ideal for all-terrain vehicles and some boats.
Ideally, they are also very easy to install. They don’t require you to take a long time setting everything up; you should be good to go within less than an hour. In certain jeeps and cars, you might need to enlarge the holes on the edges, but this isn’t too much of a common issue.
Additionally, the lows on these speakers are very good. In fact, these might be ideal for jeeps and wide cars with an empty interior. The sound projection is top-notch, and it feels like these speakers make the best out of the available space in the inside of your vehicle.
However, keep in mind that if you’re going to get adapters for these speakers, you might want to install them first before setting everything up. They can be quite difficult to disarm.
3. Pioneer TS-G4645R 4″x6″ G-Series 2-Way Speaker – Best Small Size SpeakersThe TS-G4645R are one of Pioneer’s best budget speakers on the market. They work best when set up inside a car, so they are ideal if you’re looking for the best 4×6 component speakers.
For practicality, they also come with every piece of hardware that you need to properly mount them, which makes setting them up easier than you think.
On the downside, the design isn’t this product’s strongest feature. For quite some time, Pioneer has used the same design; hence, potential buyers might not be entirely pleased with it.
In any case, however, the sound quality is very good – especially for the price you’re paying for them. On the other hand, if you’re a fan of bass-heavy music genre, you might want to stay away from these speakers. They offer no bass.
Overall, they are a great replacement of stock speakers usually included in most cars. If you’re planning on buying these to replace your old car speakers, you’ll certainly end up pleased with its performance.
4. Pyle 4” x 6” Three Way Sound Speaker System – Best on BudgetWe know some people would rather not spend a lot of money for buying car speakers. These speakers are incredibly cheap yet surprisingly do a decent job at producing decent quality sound.
Hence, if you’re looking for speakers, these could be your go-to option. Pyle makes some cheap but still very decent equipment. If you own factory speakers from any car manufactured up to the year 2000, these speakers will be an upgrade on what you already have installed.
On the other hand, if you already own another pair of speakers and want to replace them, these might not be ideal for you. You’re likely going to notice the difference in quality.
However, if you want to use them at home, it can perform as good speakers to listen to almost any kind of music.
Consequently, they are easy to install and their build quality is incredibly good, considering their low price.
5. Rockford Fosgate Punch P1462 4 x 6-Inches Full Range Coaxial Speakers – Best for Most CarsThe RockFord Fosgate Punch P1462 promises high-quality and relatively affordable speakers that sound amazing when you install them in your car. Its design makes it easy to fit into almost any type of door and sound compartment in most vehicles.
It boasts a well-balanced sound system alongside a solid body build. In addition to that, the bass of these speakers is so powerful that you might even want to turn it down. Hence, if you’re into heavy-bass music, these speakers might be what you’re looking for.
On the other hand, if you’re an extreme audiophile, you might find them lacking in certain aspects, particularly the lows. However, overall, they offer a very well-balanced sound that should satisfy any music fan’s needs.
Finally, these speakers are heavy, but not in a bad way. As mentioned earlier, build is incredibly sturdy and it feels like the product is made to last for a long time without needing repair or adjustment.
Features of the Best 4×6 Speakers
Ideally, purchasing a set of aftermarket 4×6 speakers will leave you with speakers that will both be much better and longer-lasting than a pair of stock speakers.
To help you make the smartest decision during this process, here are the features you need to consider.
Easy Installation Process
Although component speakers have the benefit of separating the different sound drivers, making them able to better handle sound frequencies, they also are very difficult to install.
Not to mention, component speakers are much more expensive than coaxial speakers. This is why many people will choose coaxial speakers.
More than Enough Power
The mark of a great set of speakers is having a maximum power load which you could never be able to handle. Measured in watts, speakers come with RMS and maximum specifications.
If you get speakers with an RMS power of 50 – 100W, you will have plenty of power. To put this in perspective, a nice of professional PA speakers for large crowds have an RMS setting of at least 300W.
Generous Frequency Range
In the best-case scenario, your speakers will be able to project the lowest bass notes down to 20 Hz and the highest frequencies reaching up to 20 kHz.
Typically, a nice set of 4×6 speakers will go down as low as 20 – 60 Hz and up to 20 kHz. 60 Hz for the bass should be where you draw the line, as higher frequency limits will also cut off some of the bass.
Good Bass & a Strong Cone
The bass is one of the primary concerns for many people. Especially if you like music which sounds better with bass that you can both hear and feel.
To ensure that the bass sounds good, make sure that the frequency of the speaker reaches down to at least 60 Hz, and that the cone is made with strong material. Anything other than paper, really.
Nice Balance of Specs with the Price
One of the most important features of a set of 4×6 speakers is the price. You shouldn’t expect the cheapest set of 4×6 speakers to be adequate.
However, you should expect to get a reasonable price which reflects the specifications that you receive. Realistically, 4×6 speakers which are around $50 or so for a pair is a good place to start.
Things You Need To Know Before Purchasing 4×6 Speakers
To start things off, you need to understand what a 4×6 speaker is and how different it is from other products.
A 4×6 speaker is basically a relatively small-sized speaker capable of producing high-quality audio, at the cost of lower quality bass.
Bass tends to be an issue with these speakers because the size of their build doesn’t allow a proper buffer to be implemented. Usually, the cone is limited, resulting in less bass.
However, these products are ideal to be used in almost any sort of vehicle and in most home movie players and televisions. The sound can be pretty loud and its audio quality isn’t compromised by volume.
Now, here are some factors you need to consider when buying a vehicle or 4×6 speaker.
Look for a product that’s well balanced in every department, including highs, mids, and lows. A balanced audio device makes for the best type of speaker, as it can reproduce most music genres at any volume.
If you want full, quality sound from your vehicle audio system, consider adding the best under seat subwoofers. It will give you some of the basses that’s been missing. They’re designed for smaller, enclosed spaces.
If you are not that meticulous about the bass quality, you could ignore this feature. But keep in mind that high-quality bass often translates into better-sounding music. Most of the products we’ve reviewed today have the best types of bass for small speakers in the market.
Need for Upgrades
Some 4×6 speakers might need to be upgraded with additional components; otherwise, they won’t sound as good. This can be very inconvenient if you don’t have much space to set your speakers up, or if you don’t feel like spending extra money on speaker upgrades.
In any case, every product we’ve shown you today can perform to a good standard without having to use any additional hardware.
Ready To Buy The Best 4×6 Speakers?
If you’re on the hunt for the best 4×6 speakers for your car, jeep or home stereo, follow this guide and you’ll be able to pick a top-quality product on your own.
We believe almost any of these products will be able to suit your needs, so pick whichever one you like the most.
Take a closer look at each of these products and let us know which one you like the most in the comment section below!
If you want an extra subwoofer in your car, consider buying a 15-inch subwoofer. It produces a sound that appears to come at once from all directions. It changes fluctuating electric audio signals to airwaves, which is perceived as sound by the ear.